I am pleased to announce the Oak Micros plunger kit MK II. It replaces the best selling Oak Micros plunger kit MK I. It provides an integrated potentiometer plunger solution that only needs a real Williams/Bally pinball plunger and Pinscape controller hardware to read the potentiometer such as the Oak Micros Pinscape All-in-One board.
Using a real pinball plunger is a well-known technique for providing positional information to virtual pinball software. One of the simplest and most effective position sensors is a linear potentiometer, whereby the resistance changes according to the position of the potentiometer. The difficulty is always how best to attach the potentiometer to the plunger and wire it into the controller hardware such as Pinscape.
The Oak Micros plunger kit solves this problem by providing an integrated solution that is plug and play. The plunger kit has the following features:
- A ready-built tested and supported product that eliminates the effort and headaches of DIY.
- A mounting bracket for the plunger to the front of the cabinet and three #10 screws.
- A rotatable mounting frame for the potentiometer that solves the problem of mounting in very tight spaces behind the playfield display.
- A 10K ohm Bourns linear potentiometer and slider attachment.
- A blue spring (part number 266-5001-05) that has less tension than a normal plunger spring which improves the feel of the plunger. A stiff spring is not needed when there is no physical ball to move.
- Screw connection header for direct wiring into your Pinscape hardware.
Below is a picture of the plunger kit and a real pinball plunger. The mounting bracket is shown in red to distinguish it from the rotatable mounting frame for the potentiometer.
The Oak Micros plunger kit contains the following components as shown in the picture below
- A mounting bracket for the plunger to the front of the cabinet.
- A rotatable mounting frame with a screwed in potentiometer, slider attachment, and screw connector for wiring into a Pinscape controller.
- Blue spring
- Three #10 screws to attach the mounting bracket to the plunger housing
As with all Oak Micros products, the plunger kit comes with a complete user guide. The Oak Micros plunger kit costs $25 (same as the MK I).
Edit: Made it clearer that the potentiometer requires Pinscape.
Edited by MikePinball, 12 August 2020 - 03:39 AM.