Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

VPX backward compatibility with older VP tables ?

VPX tables compatibility

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Humanimal

Humanimal

    Hobbyist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: Mainly modern pinballs such as Cue Ball Wizard, Attack from Mars, Monster Bash, Medieval Madness.

Posted 15 October 2023 - 09:21 AM

Hi,

 

I'm new here.

I quickly noticed the problem of having various versions of the same tables (VP8, VP9, VPX)

I wanted to run Back to the Future, Medieval Madness, Royal Flush series (among a few other ones) through VPX, but the rendering looks messed up and there are often issues with the scripts : function (or objects ?) names not recognized, messages saying more or less "use another version of the scripts", etc.

 

So I installed the latest VP9 and VP-Man but it was a bit tough to get the tables to run (with correct paths), so I gave both up.

 

I'm wondering if it would be complicated to make VPX backward compatible with older VP tables.

 


Edited by Humanimal, 15 October 2023 - 09:22 AM.


#2 jpsalas

jpsalas

    Grand Schtroumpf

  • VIP
  • 7,385 posts
  • Location:I'm Spanish, but I live in Oslo (Norway)

  • Flag: Norway

  • Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.



Posted 15 October 2023 - 02:01 PM

Not possible. There has been too many changes. Older VP didn't even had transparent ramps, everything was solid :) Remember VP is 23 years old :) So a lot has happened in this time :)


If you want to check my latest uploads then click on the image below:

 

vp.jpg

 

 


#3 Humanimal

Humanimal

    Hobbyist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: Mainly modern pinballs such as Cue Ball Wizard, Attack from Mars, Monster Bash, Medieval Madness.

Posted 15 October 2023 - 07:25 PM

I didn't know VP was so old. :Worship:
23 years ago I was stuck on an oldgamers forum and very focused on giving gamers tips for them to be able to run old gems under DOS and Win 98. :throw:



#4 anthias

anthias

    Pinball Fan

  • VIP
  • 832 posts

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Lizards In The City



Posted 25 October 2023 - 09:26 PM

It's an interesting experience to go back and try tables from 23 years ago! We were all so excited and passionate back then, but the tables? The difference from them to now is so stark its mind blowing!


screnstoaug21small.gif

#5 djredick

djredick

    Enthusiast

  • Silver Supporter
  • 207 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Xenon

Posted 26 October 2023 - 03:51 PM

I'm wondering if it would be complicated to make VPX backward compatible with older VP tables.

 

This is exactly why I keep VP8 and VP8 exe's around, because not all of those tables have been converted to VPX.  Also I am one of those "completionist" people, so I like to have every real table made for VP.   :P



#6 Humanimal

Humanimal

    Hobbyist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: Mainly modern pinballs such as Cue Ball Wizard, Attack from Mars, Monster Bash, Medieval Madness.

Posted 26 October 2023 - 05:18 PM

I'd like to get as many tables as possible with the best possible features and rendering.

Maybe I'll afford some hardware one day or another in order to get the most realistic experience.

EDIT : I mean adapted hardware because of my old hands...


Edited by Humanimal, 26 October 2023 - 05:20 PM.






Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VPX, tables, compatibility