Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

B2S Backglasses no longer animate


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Johngreve

Johngreve

    Enthusiast

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 343 posts
  • Location:Eagle,Wisconsin

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Star Wars TESB (sound mod),Pinball Magic,Ghostbusters,Dozers AFM,VPX table of Indiana Jones the Pinball Adventure

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:58 PM

Hello All,
I was working on getting a back glass to animate today and not really sure what happened but all of my previously loaded backglasses no longer animate.
I had to upgrade my b2s.server file last week from 1.2 to the latest version......I forget the number. At any rate I had the same problem because I forgot to "unblock" the .dll file. A member of this forum told me to go back and do that, which I did and I was back in business.
I'm not sure but I think the B2S file that I downloaded today had some other B2SBackglassServer.dll files within the zipped b2s file. The README instructed me to copy and paste them into my tables folder which I did with some hesitation. This Tables notes said that it required the Rosve b2s BG V2 (for Spider-Man)That's when the trouble began. It seemed like they were duplicate file of what was in there already. I clicked on the newly installed( by accident today)b2sbackglass.dll file and " unblocked it but that didn't fix my problem.
I'm at a loss as what to try next......
Suggestions anyone?
Thank you.

Update: today I reinstalled the latest version of the B2S Server 1.3.0.1 I believe it is. I reregistered and clicked unblock the .dll files.
I also went back and looked at the B2S back glass files that I downloaded yesterday that I thought were at the heart of the problem. There were no .dll files in that download. These are the files that the README instructed me to copy to my tables folder.
JP_Spiderman_FS_B2S.vpt
JP_Spiderman_FS _B2S.exe
ScreenRes.txt
B2s.vbs
Some additional observations made today......when I load the table up in VP there is no BG displayed however when I "quit to editor" the table closes and for a brief instant I see the BG image on the playfield.
It's like the BG is being displayed beneath the playfield.
I also see the DMD image being displayed on top of the playfield. I have a two monitor display with a real DMD rather than three monitors.
Maybe this additional info will help someone give me an additional idea of what may be wrong.


11/12. Successful Resolution
Ok.....after running out of ideas I called Paul and he knew instantly what happened.
It seems when I installed the screenres.txt file to my Tables folder that file changed my Screenres settings(which can be found in the B2S Setup file within the tables folder)
Moral of the story.... Be careful! It's so easy to get in over your head when you make a mistake like I did and have no chance of figuring out what's wrong on your own. Lesson learned.....many more to come I'm sure.
Go play some Pinball!

Edited by Johngreve, 12 November 2015 - 06:30 PM.


#2 Outhere

Outhere

    Pinball Wizard

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 4,807 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:03 PM

Did you try to re-Register



#3 Johngreve

Johngreve

    Enthusiast

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 343 posts
  • Location:Eagle,Wisconsin

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Star Wars TESB (sound mod),Pinball Magic,Ghostbusters,Dozers AFM,VPX table of Indiana Jones the Pinball Adventure

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:21 PM

Yes..re registered and got the message that it was already registered and was ok.
I gave some thought to a Windows restore but my last restore point was October 11th. I've done way to much work since to go back that far if I don't have to.

#4 xenonph

xenonph

    I have Pinball Fever!

  • VIP
  • 4,150 posts
  • Location:Castle Rock, WA.

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: TRON Classic-Congo-Xenon-PINBOT-BOP-LOTR-A Real American Hero OPERATION PINBALL-Millionaire-Whirlwind-Krull-NFL-BlackKnight-FishTales



Contributor

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:37 PM

RESTORING TO EARLIER POINT WILL ONLY TAKE YOU BACK TO WHAT PROGRAMS WERE INSTALLED AT THAT TIME..ALL OTHER DOCUMENTS AND PICS AND MEDIA WILL STILL BE ON HARDDRIVE AFTER GOING BACK. IT ONLY ERASES PROGRAMS YOU HAVE INSTALLED AFTER THE RESTORE POINT...ALL YOUR PINBALL FILES WILL STILL BE THERE.

THERE ARE 2 TYPES OF B2S BACKGLASSES...THE OLDER ONES THAT HAVE AN EXE EXTENSION, SEEM TO BE DIFFERENT THAN THE ONES WITH DIRECTB2S EXTENSION. THIS MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH YOUR PROBLEM.

 

IN SHORT...YOU WILL NOT LOSE ANY DOCUMENTS OR FILES WHEN RESTORING TO EARLIER POINT.

ONLY PROGRAMS YOU HAVE INSTALLED AFTER THE RESTORE POINT.

HOPE THIS HELPS.


CHECK OUT THIS TUTORIAL http://www.vpforums....howtopic=32515
TO USE DB2S BACKGLASS PROGRAM WITH DESKTOP TABLES ON 1 MONITOR
 


#5 Johngreve

Johngreve

    Enthusiast

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 343 posts
  • Location:Eagle,Wisconsin

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Star Wars TESB (sound mod),Pinball Magic,Ghostbusters,Dozers AFM,VPX table of Indiana Jones the Pinball Adventure

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for the info on restore. My thoughts were if I did that it would restore before the point of where I downloaded and installed my problem. The files that I downloaded today would be gone right? Or no? My problems started today.

Either way I'm not going to try that my earliest Restore Point would be October 11th. I've done a lot of work since then that would no longer be there.

I tried running things through VP and the tables load but there is no backglass that comes up on the monitor doing this. When I run the game through the wheel the table loads up with the BG that's part of the media pack.
All of these ran properly prior to my creating the problem. The table and b2s file names are still the same and the script remains unchanged to use the b2s server.

I'm convinced it is being blocked by probably the b2s server yet as It acts just like the " unblock" box has not been checked.

Does anyone think it would make sense to delete the existing b2s files from the tables folder and re-install?

I'm pretty green at this ......can you tell? :)

#6 allknowing2012

allknowing2012

    Pinball Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • Location:Waterloo, ON

  • Flag: Canada

  • Favorite Pinball: bucaneer

Contributor

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:29 PM

if its just b2s (directb2s to be specific) the install is pretty straight forward. The code hasnt changed in a couple of years.

 

http://www.vpforums....showtopic=23364

 

And see gtxjoe's tutorial #8

 

http://www.vpforums....als&article=143


* I don't know everything - I just have no life *
testimageNL

 

 

 

#7 Johngreve

Johngreve

    Enthusiast

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 343 posts
  • Location:Eagle,Wisconsin

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Star Wars TESB (sound mod),Pinball Magic,Ghostbusters,Dozers AFM,VPX table of Indiana Jones the Pinball Adventure

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:11 PM

Yeah, I had to install the newest version last week cause some of the backglasses required it. I went from version 1.2 to version 1.3.0.1 without a problem. I'm not sure it'll correct my problem but at this point think it can't hurt and is something to try.
I was and am hopeful somewhere here has experienced the same problem and found a cure.
Of course I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

#8 xenonph

xenonph

    I have Pinball Fever!

  • VIP
  • 4,150 posts
  • Location:Castle Rock, WA.

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: TRON Classic-Congo-Xenon-PINBOT-BOP-LOTR-A Real American Hero OPERATION PINBALL-Millionaire-Whirlwind-Krull-NFL-BlackKnight-FishTales



Contributor

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:23 AM

FILES YOU DOWNLOADED TODAY WILL STILL BE THERE AFTER RESTORING TO EARLIER DATE...JUST THE PROGRAMS THAT YOU INSTALLED AFTER THE RESTORE POINT  WILL BE GONE.

(THIS IS FOR RESTORING TO EARLIER DATE. IF YOU ARE RESTORING TO FACTORY SETTINGS, THEN YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA, BUT A SIMPLE RESTORE TO EARLIER DATE, YOUR DATA WILL BE FINE.)


Edited by xenonph, 11 November 2015 - 05:26 AM.

CHECK OUT THIS TUTORIAL http://www.vpforums....howtopic=32515
TO USE DB2S BACKGLASS PROGRAM WITH DESKTOP TABLES ON 1 MONITOR
 


#9 Johngreve

Johngreve

    Enthusiast

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 343 posts
  • Location:Eagle,Wisconsin

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Star Wars TESB (sound mod),Pinball Magic,Ghostbusters,Dozers AFM,VPX table of Indiana Jones the Pinball Adventure

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:30 PM

If that's the case a restore will not help me as the files I downloaded will still be there?

Is that right? I thoughtva restore put your computer back to the state it was at the restore point you selected. If it doesn't do that them what's the point?

#10 xenonph

xenonph

    I have Pinball Fever!

  • VIP
  • 4,150 posts
  • Location:Castle Rock, WA.

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: TRON Classic-Congo-Xenon-PINBOT-BOP-LOTR-A Real American Hero OPERATION PINBALL-Millionaire-Whirlwind-Krull-NFL-BlackKnight-FishTales



Contributor

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:41 PM

ONLY THE "PROGRAMS" INSTALLED AFTER RESTORE POINT WILL BE GONE...ANY PICS, DOCUMENTS, OR MEDIA FILES WILL REMAIN.

 

THE POINT OF RESTORING IS TO GO BACK TO BEFORE A PROGRAM WAS INSTALLED.

USUALLY ITS A PROGRAM THAT HAS MESSED UP OR NO LONGER IS WORKING OR CORRUPT..

I THINK WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT IS ONLY IF SOMEONE BACKED UP THERE WHOLE COMPUTER..LIKE A SHADOW COPY OF FULL HARDDRIVE...RESTORE POINTS DON'T DO THAT...THEY ONLY REMOVE THE PROGRAMS THAT HAVE BEEN INSTALLED AFTER THE RESTORE POINT. BUT THEY SAVE ALL MEDIA FILES AND DOCUMENTS AND SUCH. UNLESS YOU DO A FACTORY RESTORE WHICH WILL ERASE EVERYTHING..PROGRAMS AND MEDIA AND SUCH.

HOPE THIS HELPS.


Edited by xenonph, 11 November 2015 - 02:50 PM.

CHECK OUT THIS TUTORIAL http://www.vpforums....howtopic=32515
TO USE DB2S BACKGLASS PROGRAM WITH DESKTOP TABLES ON 1 MONITOR