• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 xenonph

xenonph

I have Pinball Fever!

• VIP
  • 3,907 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: TRON Classic-Congo-Xenon-PINBOT-BOP-LOTR-A Real American Hero OPERATION PINBALL-Millionaire-Whirlwind-Krull-NFL-BlackKnight-FishTales

Contributor

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:53 PM

SOME OF THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION WAS SCATTERED IN DIFFERENT TOPICS.

ALL CREDIT SHOULD GO TO THE PEOPLE WHO PROVIDED ME WITH MOST OF THIS INFORMATION.

The purpose of this post, is to try and help all the people who play regular desktop tables on 1 monitor, to utilize the dB2S BackGlass program for use on same screen. There aren't many help topics on this subject, so I figured, why not make it easier for the next person. I will explain it exactly the way I learned it myself. Don't be discouraged by how long this tutorial is. Alot of it just deals with settings and stuff like that. I just wanted to show you the exact way that I learned it.

If you are like me and can only use 1 monitor to play your Visual Pinball tables on, you may feel that you have been missing out on all these wonderful animated backglasses that can be played with the backglass program. Sure you can have a front-end for the pinball program that shows you a picture of the backglass, but that is not the same as seeing it with flashing lights and animations. I thought to myself, there has to be a way to check out these Backglasses in action without having a second monitor installed. And thus my "Learning Journey" began!

This is assuming that you have already installed Visual Pinball and PinMAME and are able to play Desktop version tables.
  (They have other Help Topics for that http://www.vpforums....rials&article=1 )

This also assumes that you have already installed the "B2S Backglass Server" program. Found here... https://www.vpforums...&showfile=12553

If you have installed these programs correctly already, skip down the page to the smiley face :D

If not, You need to download "B2S Backglass Server" program before continuing.

To run the "B2S Backglass Server" program, you will need at least .NET Framework 4 installed on your computer. If you don't have it. Download direct link here...http://www.microsoft...n.aspx?id=17718

If you are not sure if this is already installed on your computer, you can go into your control panel and go to where you add or remove programs and see if NET FRAMEWORK is installed. Or when you run the "B2S Backglass Server" program, it will say if you need to install it or not. It is best to wait until the program tells you that it needs to be installed, that way you dont put an old version of .net framework on your system. (Not sure if it installs over newer versions, but better safe than sorry)

INSTALLING THE B2S BACKGLASS SERVER

The download contains these 4 files and a text file with instructions.

1) B2SBackglassServer.dll

2) B2SBackglassServerEXE.exe

3) B2SBackglassServerRegisterApp.exe

4) B2SServerPluginInterface.dll

These 4 files need to be moved into your tables folder where Visual Pinball is installed.

C:/Program Files/Visual Pinball/Tables (May be different for you, this is where mine is installed)

Once these 4 items are in the "Tables" folder,

(VERY IMPORTANT)

You may need to right-click on

B2SBackglassServerEXE.exe

AND

B2SBackglassServerRegisterApp.exe

and click properties then click compatibility and click run as administrator.

(Probably Windows Vista and up will need to do this)

You will need to double-click the 3rd item "B2SBackglassServerRegisterApp.exe" to register dll after you make compatible to run as administrator.
   If you have did this right it should say the B2SBackglassServer.dll is registered. If not...

For more detailed Help with "B2S Backglass Server" Click here.. http://www.vpforums....showtopic=23364
  Or click here for more info... http://www.vpforums....als&article=136

:D    Now there is one more IMPORTANT file that needs to be in the tables folder with other 4 files. This is...

5) ScreenRes.txt

I wasn't sure how to make this file myself. So I just found one that came with a table download. I then realized how easy it was to make my own, just by making a new txt file and naming it "ScreenRes".

MAKING YOUR OWN ScreenRes.txt

RIGHT-CLICK ON EMPTY SPACE OF DOCUMENTS AND CLICK "NEW" THEN CLICK "TEXT DOCUMENT"

A TEXT DOCUMENT WILL APPEAR AND BE HIGHLIGHTED, WAITING TO BE NAMED.

TYPE IN "SCREENRES" AND CLICK EMPTY SPACE AGAIN.

NOW YOU WILL HAVE SCREENRES.TXT FILE

JUST DOUBLE CLICK SCREENRES.TXT FILE AND IT WILL OPEN

NOW YOU ARE READY TO ADD THE SCREENRES NUMBERS

But to make this easier for everyone, we will just be using the one that is bundled with the table we will be using to test the backglass program. I hope the authors of these tables don't mind me using these tables in this Tutorial. Just let me know and I will try to find a different table to use. All credit for these works of art go to the authors and people who helped make these programs and should be directed there way.

Seeing how I could only play desktop tables, I started my journey in VP9 Desktop Tables Download Category in the MOD section. There are a handful of B2S modded tables, but the one we will be using is "Jungle Queen DT B2S 1.0.1" by StevOz. This is an earlier version B2S, but it is perfect for a starter table for this Tutorial.

(You don't have to change anything in the script and the backglass stays on screen. And StevOz was nice enough to include a ScreenRes.txt file with settings for a Desktop User with 1 monitor.(Will explain later in Tutorial)

(IF I WOULDN'T HAVE FOUND THIS TABLE, I PROBABLY WOULD STILL BE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET BACKGLASSES TO WORK WITH 1 MONITOR SETUPS. I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH StevOz!!!)

Download Jungle Queen DT B2S 1.0.1 StevOz here... http://www.vpforums....&showfile=10038

The download contains 7 files but I only want you to MOVE THESE 3 ITEMS into your tables folder located where you installed Visual Pinball.

1) JungleQueen_B2S.exe

2) JungleQueen_DT.vpt

3) ScreenRes.txt

(The "b2s.vbs" and "core.vbs" files should already be in your tables folder if you installed newest VBScript Pack 3.43 with your Visual Pinball Installation. So, no need to move as you may copy over newer files) If not, download and move them into tables folder.

Find here... http://www.vpforums....ads&showfile=17

With these files moved to your Tables folder...

You are now ready to test table. Start the table the same way you start all your other tables.

(Either through editor or by double-clicking the .vpt table file.)

If everything was installed correctly, you should now see the table and a working backglass of table in upper-left corner of screen.

(On mine, the backglass is blocking part of the table. Probably because my wide-screen monitor died so I hooked a regular 4:3 monitor up. I will explain later how to adjust the size of backglass.)

Play the table, as this is a great classic.

These older b2s Backglasses have an

.exe

instead of a

.directb2s

Extension for the backglass, which means the backglasses with .exe will stay on the screen while playing the table.

(You will find that backglasses with .directb2s extension will not stay on screen while table is on screen. I will explain later how to keep them on screen)

MOVING AND RE-SIZING BACKGLASS

Now I will teach you how to resize and move this backglass to different positions on your screen.

(Important info that will be needed later when you try out backglasses with different desktop tables)

If you downloaded the screenres editor, just hold off on using it until we are done with this tutorial.

To change the position or size of the backbox, we have to understand what the screenres.txt file is for.

I want you to find the "ScreenRes.txt" file in your tables folder and double click it, just like you would do to read any other text file. When the window opens you should see this..

The first 2 numbers represent the table dimensions (1920x1080) Starts from upper-left corner of screen (I never edit AS IT HAS NO EFFECT ON DESKTOP TABLES. I WILL CHANGE TO 1024x768 TO REMIND YOU WHAT SCREEN SETTING YOUR MONITOR SHOULD BE SET AT)
   The 3rd and 4th numbers represent the backglass dimensions (544x408) Starts from upper-left corner of screen

The 3rd number represents the width of the backglass. The higher the number, the wider it gets.
   The 4th number represents the heighth of the backglass. The higher the number, the longer it gets.
   The 5th number represents which screen the backglass is to be displayed on. (1)
   The 6th and 7th numbers represent where the backglass is placed on screen. (0x0) starts in upper-left corner of screen.  
   The 6th number moves the backglass towards the right. The higher the number, the further right it moves.
   The 7th number moves the backglass towards the bottom. The higher the number, the further down it moves.

I want you to change the 3rd number from 544 to 300 on your ScreenRes.txt file
   Change the 4th number from 408 to 280 on your ScreenRes.txt file

(DO THIS BY USING YOUR MOUSE AND LEFT-CLICKING ON THE PAGE NEXT TO THE NUMBER YOU ARE CHANGING UNTIL YOU SEE A BLINKING CURSOR, YOU CAN USE ARROW KEYS TO MOVE THIS CURSOR TO THE RIGHT-SIDE OF THE NUMBER YOU ARE CHANGING THEN HIT BACKSPACE TO DELETE THE NUMBER AND JUST TYPE THE NEW NUMBER YOU WANT)

Your ScreenRes.txt will now look like this..

(To have Backglass in UPPER-LEFT of screen)

Now click the red X in upper-right corner of the ScreenRes.txt file and close it. It should ask you if you want to save, click yes.

Now start the JungleQueen table again. You will notice that the backglass has turned smaller. Giving you clear view of table. You can adjust to your liking for each table. I personally start with this size, and adjust it to where its as big as I can get it, without interfering with the table playfield. (this is a good starting size.)

Now lets say you want to move the backglass to the upper-right of screen.(Reasons for which I will explain later)
   The 6th number moves the backglass towards the right. The higher the number, the further right it moves.

I want you to change the 6th number from 0 to 300 on the ScreenRes.txt file

Try by starting with 300, and then by testing table by running it, see how far the backglass has moved right. You are trying to get the right side of the backglass to touch the edge on the right side of your screen.(Basically exact opposite from left starting position) At 300 it will be in the way of table playfield. You want to keep adding until it reaches right-hand side of screen. If you go too far and part of the Backglass goes off screen, just lower number. Try and find the exact number that puts it on right edge of screen. Try 400. Then 500. 600...You get the picture...on my screen it is 724 to move it to edge with the 300x280 backglass dimension. Remember to click the red X in upper-right corner of the ScreenRes.txt file and close it. It should ask you if you want to save, click yes. (Each time you change number you will need to do this)

(THESE ARE THE SETTINGS FOR MY MONITOR. YOURS MORE THAN LIKELY WILL BE DIFFERENT. THIS IS WHY YOU WILL BE TRYING TO FIND THE EXACT NUMBER THAT MOVES THE BACKGLASS INTO CORNERS FOR YOUR PARTICULAR MONITOR, IF MY SCREENRES.TXT SETTINGS AREN'T PUTTING YOUR BACKGLASSES IN CORNER. ONCE YOU HAVE THEM FOR YOUR SCREEN, WRITE THEM DOWN)

So my ScreenRes.txt looks like this

(To have Backglass in UPPER-RIGHT of screen)..

Now lets say you want to move the backglass to the lower-right of your screen.
   The 7th number moves the backglass towards the bottom. The higher the number, the further down it moves.

I want you to change the 7th number from 0 to 200 on the ScreenRes.txt File

Using the method you used to move backglass to the right-side of screen, try and find the exact number that will make the backglass bottom, touch the bottom edge of your screen. 200 moves it to about the middle-right of your screen. Add more to move it down towards bottom of screen more. Higher the number, more it moves. My number is 488 to move down to bottom of screen.

So my ScreenRes.txt file looks like this

(To have Backglass in LOWER-RIGHT of screen)..

So obviously if you want the Backglass in lower-left of screen, you would just change the 6th number back to 0.

This is what your ScreenRes.txt file will look like..

(To have Backglass in LOWER-LEFT of screen)

With this information, you should be able to re-size and put the backglass to any position on your screen.

You can also come to this post and copy which ScreenRes.txt out of the 4 that you want a starting positon from. Each set of numbers is already set to start from each corner of your screen. Pick the one you need and copy it to your ScreenRes.txt file.

YOU NEED TO SET YOUR MONITOR TO SCREEN RESOLUTION 1024x768 IF YOU WANT TO USE MY SCREENRES NUMBERS AND SETTINGS.

TO CHANGE YOUR DISPLAY SETTING.... RIGHT-CLICK ON EMPTY SPACE ON YOUR DESKTOP AND CLICK "PERSONALIZE" (ON XP CLICK  "PROPERTIES")

CLICK "DISPLAY SETTINGS"

ADJUST THE SLIDING BAR UNTIL IT SAYS "1024 BY 768 PIXELS"

CLICK APPLY

IT WILL ASK IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THIS SETTING AND START A TIMER..CLICK YES

(THESE ARE THE SETTINGS FOR MY MONITOR. YOURS MORE THAN LIKELY WILL BE DIFFERENT. THIS IS WHY YOU WILL BE TRYING TO FIND THE EXACT NUMBER THAT MOVES THE BACKGLASS INTO CORNERS FOR YOUR PARTICULAR MONITOR, IF MY SCREENRES.TXT SETTINGS AREN'T PUTTING YOUR BACKGLASSES IN CORNER. ONCE YOU HAVE THEM FOR YOUR SCREEN, WRITE THEM DOWN OR MAYBE SHARE THEM IN THIS POST SO OTHERS WITH SAME SIZE MONITOR SCREEN AS YOU CAN HAVE THE NUMBERS FOR A  PRESET SCREENRES.TXT FILE FOR EACH CORNER OF THE SCREEN. JUST INCLUDE WHAT TYPE MONITOR YOU ARE USING, WIDESCREEN OR 4:3)

(Or you can download this ScreenRes Editor and place in tables folder where the "ScreenRes.txt" file is located to edit your ScreenRes.txt..but I wanted to show you my method which will also help you when you need to change script in tables to make them work with backglass)

Download ScreenRes Editor here..
  http://www.vpforums....showtopic=18020

NOW THAT WE HAVE GOT THE BACKGLASS PROGRAM TO WORK, WE NEED TO FIND A BACKGLASS THAT DOESNT HAVE THE ".EXE" EXTENSION ON THE BACKGLASS FILE

OF COURSE I HAVE PICKED MY FAVORITE TABLE FOR THIS NEXT IMPORTANT PART OF TUTORIAL

You are ready to move on to our next test table.

I want you to edit your ScreenRes.txt so it looks like this..

These are my ScreenRes.txt settings for this next table.

Download these 2 files...

Congo_NightMod_v1.4_LW_DT v1.4
http://www.vpforums....&showfile=11191

Congo B2S 1.2 Backglass
http://www.vpforums....s&showfile=9960

Put both EXTRACTED files into your Tables folder.

CHANGING BACKGLASS NAME TO SAME AS TABLE

For these Backglasses to work, they need to have same name as table. So change the backglass file to same name as table. Files will look like this when changed...

Congo_NightMod_v1.4_LW_DT v1.4.directb2s

Congo_NightMod_v1.4_LW_DT v1.4.vpt

Now we need to load this table into the Visual Pinball Editor by Double clicking the Icon that starts the editor.

(The one that you save shortcut to your desktop to start the Visual Pinball program.)
   The reason we are loading it this way, is because we need to change something in the script before the table will be able to use the backglass program.

CHANGING THE SCRIPT IN TABLES TO USE WITH BACKGLASS PROGRAM

IT JUST SOUNDS LIKE IT'S HARD TO DO, DON'T BE DISCOURAGED

THIS IS VERY EASY AS YOU ARE ONLY CHANGING ONE WORD OR NUMBER IN THE SCRIPT PER TABLE

These are the instructions I read...

- Modify existing table script to change from using VPinMame server to the B2S Server:
- Open table script
- If you see 'Choose Controller: 1-VPM, 2-UVP, 3-B2S' near the top of script, change it to option 3
- Else, search for Set Controller = CreateObject("VPinMAME.Controller")             and change it to      Set Controller = CreateObject("B2S.Server")

More help here http://www.vpforums....als&article=136

When your Visual Pinball Editor has loaded, Click on the "file" tab in upper-left corner and click open and find your Congo table you just placed in your tables folder along with backglass file with same name. Click the table to load it. It will not start automatically this way. If it does, just click out of table and you will be left with the table being loaded into the editor.

You can get to the Script in a table 2 ways..

Click the Edit tab in upper left on your Visual Pinball Editor then click Script.

Or underneath the word "Edit", you will see what looks like a number pad for a phone with numbers 1-8...above that you should see something that says "Script". You can click this.

A window will pop up with a bunch of writing.

Don't get overwhelmed by all this computer lingo...

We will edit this just like we did with the changing of the numbers in the the ScreenRes.txt file.

So I want you to think of this as working just like the ScreenRes.txt, but instead of changing numbers, we will be changing a word.
    The Script will always have numbers on the left side. I will use these to help you find the exact line you need to change.

(THIS WILL VARY FOR EACH DIFFERENT TABLE. YOU ARE JUST LOOKING FOR A CERTAIN LINE THAT JUST HAPPENS TO BE ON LINE 16 OF THE SCRIPT ON THIS TABLE, ON OTHER TABLES THIS MAY BE LOCATED ON A DIFFERENT LINE OTHER THAN LINE 16)

(ON VP8 PINBALL EDITOR, THERE ARE NO NUMBERS ON LEFT SIDE. JUST CLICK ANYWHERE ON SCRIPT AND AT BOTTOM LEFT CORNER OF EDITOR, YOU WILL SEE WHAT LINE YOU ARE ON.)

(YOU CAN EDIT WITH CAPITAL LETTERS OR NOT. DOESN'T MATTER)

Here is what the first 21 lines should look like FOR THIS TABLE

1 ' Congo / IPD No. 3780 / November, 1995 / 4 Players
 2 ' VP91x v1.01 by JPSalas 2011
 4 Option Explicit
 5 Randomize
 7 Const PlayFieldLessDark = 0        'Set to 0 for original LW NM PF and 1 for slightly less dark version
 9 LoadVPM "00990300", "WPC.VBS", 1.0
11 Sub LoadVPM(VPMver, VBSfile, VBSver)
12    On Error Resume Next
13    If ScriptEngineMajorVersion <5 Then MsgBox "VB Script Engine 5.0 or higher required"
14    ExecuteGlobal GetTextFile(VBSfile)
15    If Err Then MsgBox "Unable to open " & VBSfile & ". Ensure that it is in the same folder as this table. " & vbNewLine & Err.Description
16    Set Controller = CreateObject("VPinMAME.Controller")
17    If Err Then MsgBox "Can't Load VPinMAME." & vbNewLine & Err.Description
18    If VPMver> "" Then If Controller.Version <VPMver Or Err Then MsgBox "VPinMAME ver " & VPMver & " required."
19    If VPinMAMEDriverVer <VBSver Or Err Then MsgBox VBSFile & " ver " & VBSver & " or higher required."
20    On Error Goto 0
21 End Sub

Basically its just like when you changed the numbers in your ScreenRes.txt file.
The only line you need to worry about is line 16 Set Controller = CreateObject("VPinMAME.Controller")
The only thing you will be changing is the word between the "     "                       ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

Change the word                                                                        

VPinMAME.Controller

to

B2S.Server

So now line 16 will look like this..

16    Set Controller = CreateObject("B2S.Server")

instead of

16    Set Controller = CreateObject("VPinMAME.Controller")

Click the red X to close the script just like the ScreenRes.txt file.

THAT'S IT!!! THE SCRIPT IS EDITED!!!

SEE HOW EASY THAT WAS?

DON'T FORGET TO SAVE YOUR TABLE AFTER YOU HAVE FINISHED EDITING THE SCRIPT BY CLICKING THE FILE TAB IN UPPER LEFT ON THE VISUAL PINBALL EDITOR AND THEN CLICKING SAVE AS...A WINDOW WILL POP UP SHOWING THE TABLE...JUST CLICK SAVE...IT WILL SAY THIS FILE ALREADY EXISTS AND ASK IF YOU WANT TO OVERWRITE IT..CLICK YES

ANOTHER WAY TO SAVE IS JUST EXIT THE EDITOR AFTER YOU HAVE FINISHED EDITING AND IT WILL ASK YOU IF YOU WANT TO SAVE THE TABLE AS SOMETHING HAS CHANGED. BOTH METHODS WILL WORK. THIS WAY YOU WILL ONLY HAVE TO CHANGE THE SCRIPT ONCE AS OPPOSED TO HAVING TO DO IT EVERY TIME YOU LOAD TABLE IF YOU HAVEN'T SAVED THE TABLE.

IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE IT BACK TO ORIGINAL TABLE, JUST CHANGE BACK THE WORD IN THE SCRIPT TO WHAT IT WAS AND SAVE AGAIN.

YOU ARE NOW READY TO TEST TABLE

Now click the tab on the Visual Pinball Editor that says Table and click play to play the table.
Now you should see your backglass start but then disappear.
You will notice that these backglasses will not stay on your screen. Don't be discouraged. You have made it this far.

And this is how far I made it, when I started looking in this forum for an answer. I found this Topic...

http://www.vpforums....showtopic=29458

and also this Topic...

http://www.vpforums....showtopic=30190

I also got help from someone named Scorpion, who told me another way of seeing the backglass while playing table at same time. Setting your screen resolution for the table to low by going into Visual Pinball Editor and clicking the Preferences tab, then clicking video options, and in the box that says video mode, click a lower number. (Start with lowest number, then you can work up)This makes your table not full-screen to where you can slide the table Window over and see the backglass in action when you start a table. Thanks Scorpion for your help also.

To keep the backglass on your screen at same time as table with FULL RESOLUTION, you will need a program called "Always-On-Top".
This is the only way that I know of to keep the backglass on screen while playing table at FULL RESOLUTION.

This is where I found the app in question, but it didnt work for me at first, so I was about to give up, when someone named kaan asked why I didn't use this app, in some other topic. I then realized that maybe if I right clicked on it and went to properties and changed the compatibility, that maybe it would work for me. It worked!! Thank you kaan, for making me go back to that app and try to get it working.

Always-On-Top Direct Download Link here...http://img.labnol.or...ways-on-top.zip

THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! Before you start the app, You need to right-click on "always-on-top.exe" and click properties.. Then click compatibility and click run as administrator. Also click make compatible with Windows XP Service Pack 2.(Windows Vista and higher will need to do this to get app to work for them) The download comes with instructions but basically after starting the "Always-On-Top" app, it will sit in your tool bar. Start your table again. You will be clicking on your backglass with mouse and hitting CTRL-SPACEBAR to keep the backglass window "on top".
If you are not fast enough to click it, just hit ALT-TAB after the table is started and you should be able to see the backglass. Then just click back on table after you have clicked your backglass and hit CTRL-SPACE to keep it "on top".
You will need to do this for each table as this is a per table per session fix.
Yes it's not perfect, but hey, now you can see these wonderful backglasses in action.

If you followed these instructions, you should now see Congo table with working Backglass.
This table has a DMD (SHOWS THE SCORE) that can be moved with mouse to any part of your screen.
When you click the Visual Pinball Editor off, it will ask you if you want to save the changes you made in script..click yes
  MAKE SURE YOU SAVE YOUR TABLE AFTER YOU HAVE CHANGED THE SCRIPT AND THEN YOU CAN MOVE IT TO ANOTHER FOLDER IF YOU WANT

If you noticed, Both tables share the same settings of the ScreenRes.txt file and place the backglass in same positon.
Well, what if you wanted to have a bunch of tables that use different ScreenRes.txt settings?
  Here is my solution...
For each table that you want to have seperate setting just copy the ScreenRes.txt File into a NEW folder along with the table and backglass file.(Remember the backglass has to have same first name as the table (xxx.vpt xxx.directb2s)

AS LONG AS THESE 4 FILES ARE IN YOUR  ORIGINAL TABLES FOLDER YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO RUN THESE TABLES WITH BACKGLASSES FROM ANY DIRECTORY (I RUN MINE FROM A FOLDER IN MY DOCUMENTS)

1) B2SBackglassServer.dll

2) B2SBackglassServerEXE.exe

3) B2SBackglassServerRegisterApp.exe

4) B2SServerPluginInterface.dll

With the ScreenRes.txt file in the same folder as your table and backglass file, You can have different settings for each table.

So after you change the script in these desktop tables, Save the table, and move it to its own folder with the Backglass file and the ScreenRes.txt file after you have made the backglass as big as possible without interfering with the table playfield.

Now download this Kiss table and find a backglass for it.
http://www.vpforums....s&showfile=2348

Go into script and change the same thing as you did before.

On this table it is on LINE 17

This table has a built in DMD as compared to the floating one on Congo Table (MEANING YOU WONT BE ABLE TO MOVE THIS SCORE TO ANOTHER PART OF YOUR SCREEN WITH THE MOUSE)...For tables like this, it is best to put the backglass anywhere but upper-left as that is where most 1 player scores are seen. Now you will see why I wanted you to learn how to move the backglass.

There is so much more to this but I just wanted to show you the basics to help you get started.  

Congratulations! You now can play desktop tables with the db2s backglass on same screen!!! I hope this tutorial helps people who didn't think they could change the script on a table, or thought they couldn't run Backglass program without having 2 monitors.

This is going to open up a whole new Pinball world for us Single Monitor Desktop Table Users

I feel like a kid in a Candy Store. I can't get enough of these Backglasses. Hope you feel the same way!

Enjoy and Have Fun Pinballin'

************************************************************************************************************************************

YOU NOW HAVE NO EXCUSE TO TRY THIS!!!

I HAVE INCLUDED SCREENRES SETTINGS FOR VP8 AND VP9 TABLES FOR EACH BACKGLASS.

I HAVE ALSO INCLUDED WHICH LINE OF SCRIPT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED AND WHAT IT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED TOO.

IF BACKGLASS OR DMD STAYS ON SCREEN, YOU CAN JUST CLICK ON IT WITH YOUR MOUSE AND HIT ESC. MOST WILL EXIT THE NEXT TIME WITH TABLE EXIT.

I HAVE TRIED TO PRESERVE THE TABLE AUTHORS ORIGINAL VISION WHEN POSSIBLE.

I TRIED NOT TO COVER ANY FLASHING LIGHTS OR PLAYERS SCORES INCLUDING 2-4 PLAYERS.

THESE SETTINGS WILL PUT THE BACKGLASS WHERE IT DOESNT INTERFERE WITH ANYTHING AND IS MAXIMIZED TO ITS FULLEST POTENTIAL. FEEL FREE TO USE YOUR OWN SETTINGS IF YOU DONT MIND COVERING UP SCORES OR OTHER PLAYFIELD OBJECTS.

INSTEAD OF TRYING TO FIND THESE SCREENRES SETTINGS FOR YOURSELF,(WHICH TOOK ME OVER A MONTH FOR THE LIST I MADE) SAVE TIME ON YOUR CONVERSIONS AND USE THE SETTINGS IN ATTACHMENT.  I HOPE YOU FIND IT HELPFUL, AS I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO FIND SOMETHING LIKE THIS WHEN I STARTED CONVERTING MY TABLES TO USE BACKGLASSES.

SOME TABLES ARE DEPENDENT UPON A .VBS FILE BEING IN SAME FOLDER.  I WILL INFORM.

SOME TABLES I HAD ERRORS STARTING, SO I ADDED HOW I GOT PAST THE ERRORS.

I MAY HAVE MISSED A TABLE AUTHORS NAME. IM NOT PERFECT. CHECK TABLE DOWNLOAD PAGE FOR INFO.

THESE ARE JUST THE TABLES I HAVE GOTTEN TO WORK SO FAR. THESE ARE ALL TABLES THAT USE ROMS.

WHEN I FIGURE OUT THE NON-ROM TABLES I WILL ADD THEM.

CHECK OUT ALL THE NICE BACKGLASSES!!!   THANKS TO ALL INVOLVED WHO MAKE THESE WONDERFUL TABLES AND BACKGLASSES AND THE PROGRAMS THAT RUN THEM.

I TRIED TO ADD THESE DIRECTLY TO THIS TUTORIAL, BUT ITS NOT LETTING ME SO I WILL ADD IT AS TEXT ATTACHMENT, WHICH YOU CAN SAVE TO YOUR COMPUTER FOR OFFLINE USAGE.

Attached File  ScreenRes Settings for DESKTOP TABLES.txt   231.38KB   471 downloads

ALSO CHECK ATTACHMENT BELOW FOR PRECONFIGURED GAMEPAD USE

Edited by xenonph, 26 February 2022 - 10:18 AM.

CHECK OUT THIS TUTORIAL http://www.vpforums....howtopic=32515
TO USE DB2S BACKGLASS PROGRAM WITH DESKTOP TABLES ON 1 MONITOR

#2 STAT

STAT

Pinball and Arcade Freak

• VIP
  • 4,970 posts

• Flag: Austria

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:50 PM

And this works ? :shok: Thats really great - i have a Cab but maybe useful later for whatever ...

Of course, for all DT Users, its cool.

#3 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,060 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra

Contributor

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:27 PM

Nice work, you should post this in the Tutorial Section so it can be easily found in the future - http://www.vpforums....tutorials&cat=7

#4 xenonph

xenonph

I have Pinball Fever!

• VIP
  • 3,907 posts

• Favorite Pinball: TRON Classic-Congo-Xenon-PINBOT-BOP-LOTR-A Real American Hero OPERATION PINBALL-Millionaire-Whirlwind-Krull-NFL-BlackKnight-FishTales

Contributor

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM

I wasn't sure if i was allowed to post there. Maybe I can Post a link to here from there. I truly hope this helps people use the backglass program...without it, is like missing half of the pinball table!!! I admit that a full-screen backglass would look alot better, and maybe somebody could come up with some script where a keypress would bring the backglass up full-screen (maybe like FP where TAB is pressed) But until then, hope this helps all Desktop Users who only have 1 monitor.

Edited by xenonph, 23 September 2015 - 08:29 PM.

#5 xenonph

xenonph

I have Pinball Fever!

• VIP
  • 3,907 posts

Contributor

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:42 AM

I TRIED TO ADD THESE SCREENRES SETTINGS TO TUTORIAL, FAILING TO DO SO,(BECAUSE I THINK IT WAS TOO BIG) I JUST ADDED THEM AS TEXT ATTACHMENT. NOW YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE NOT TO TRY THESE WONDERFUL BACKGLASSES.

I HAVE INCLUDED SCREENRES SETTINGS FOR ALL THE VPM8 AND VPM9 TABLES THAT HAVE BACKGLASSES.

AT LEAST THE ONES I COULD GET TO WORK.

AND WHERE TO EDIT THE SCRIPT.

CHECK THE BOTTOM OF TUTORIAL FOR THE ATTACHMENT. YOU CAN SAVE IT TO YOUR DOCUMENTS FOR OFFLINE USE OR JUST OPEN AND READ.  FIND ATTACHMENT HERE...

http://www.vpforums....attach_id=22613

YOU WILL FIND OUT AFTER STARTING TO CONVERT YOUR VPM TABLES TO USE BACKGLASSES, THAT THIS INFO WILL COME IN VERY HANDY. IT TOOK ME OVER A MONTH TO FINISH CONVERTING AND MAKING THIS LIST, AS EACH TABLE IS DIFFERENT, AND I HAD ONLY CONVERTED 2 TABLES BEFORE I WROTE THIS TUTORIAL. HOPEFULLY THIS HELPS CUT DOWN ON YOUR CONVERSION TIME.

HOPE THIS HELPS EVERYONE!!!

ENJOY!!!

I DID!!!

Edited by xenonph, 07 November 2015 - 09:52 PM.

#6 xenonph

xenonph

I have Pinball Fever!

• VIP
  • 3,907 posts

Contributor

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:33 AM

BEFORE TRYING THIS METHOD, I WOULD ENCOURAGE YOU ALL TO

READ POST #5 FROM TOPIC HERE..http://www.vpforums....943#entry324832

(GTXJOE HAS PROVIDED INFO SO YOU DON'T NEED THIS JOYTOKEY EMULATOR.)

THIS IS COMPATIBLE WITH MOST GAMEPADS AND CONTROLLERS

I USE A GAMEPAD CONTROLLER TO PLAY MY PINBALL TABLES. I USE A PROGRAM CALLED JOY-TO-KEY WHICH EMULATES KEYBOARD KEYSTROKES TO YOUR GAMEPAD.

IN THE INCLUDED ATTACHMENT YOU WILL FIND THIS JOY-TO-KEY PROGRAM PRECONFIGURED FOR VISUAL PINBALL.

USE THIS TO USE A GAMEPAD OR CONTROLLER TO PLAY PINBALL TABLES

YOU MAY NEED TO RIGHT CLICK ON THE EXE AND GO TO PROPERTIES AND THEN COMPATABILITY AND CHECK THE BOX MAKE COMPATABLE WITH XP SERVICE PACK 2...ALSO CHECK BOX TO RUN PROGRAM AS ADMINISTRATOR...PRESS APPLY BEFORE EXECUTING PROGRAM. (VISTA AND ABOVE I THINK)

I HAVE MADE A PRECONFIGURED PINBALL CONFIGURATION FOR EASE OF USE...AFTER DOUBLE CLICKING "JOY TO KEY.EXE" A WINDOW WILL POP UP...ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE "vpin" SHOULD BE HIGHLIGHTED AUTOMATICALLY (IF IT'S NOT JUST LEFT CLICK ON IT TO HIGHLIGHT)...ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS MINIMIZE THE WINDOW DOWN TO YOUR TOOLBAR AND YOU ARE READY TO PLAY PINBALL WITH GAMEPAD CONTROLLER. AFTER MINIMIZING, IF YOU WANT TO BRING IT BACK UP TO CHANGE SOMETHING, JUST DOUBLE CLICK JOYSTICK ICON BY CLOCK IN LOWER RIGHT HAND SIDE OF COMPUTER SCREEN.
 (JUST REMEMBER IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE A BUTTON, HIGHLIGHT "GOOD" BEFORE YOU CHANGE ANYTHING ..OTHERWISE YOU MAY MESS UP THE VPIN CONFIGURATION AND IT SAVES AUTOMATICALLY SO WHATEVER YOU CHANGE WILL BE THERE NEXT TIME YOU START PROGRAM)

HERE ARE THE CONTROLLER BUTTONS

*******************************************************************************************
    GAMEPAD BUTTONS:           ACTION:

SELECT OR LEFT.....................INSERTS COIN

START OR RIGHT.....................PUSHES 1 PLAYER BUTTON

UP.....................MOVES PLUNGER FORWARD (ON SELECT GAMES)

DOWN.....................PULLS PLUNGER BACK (ON SELECT GAMES)

TOP BUTTON.....................PRESS TO PULL AND RELEASE PLUNGER

BOTTOM BUTTON.....................CENTER NUDGE

LEFT BUTTON.....................LEFT NUDGE

RIGHT BUTTON.....................RIGHT NUDGE

L1 BUTTON.....................LEFT FLIPPER

R1 BUTTON.....................RIGHT FLIPPER

L2 BUTTON.....................LEFT MAGNA-SAVE OR OTHER

R2 BUTTON.....................RIGHT MAGNA-SAVE OR OTHER

*******************************************************************************************

IF YOU WANT TO ASSIGN YOUR OWN BUTTONS USE THE "GOOD" CONFIGURATION BY HIGHLIGHTING "GOOD" AND THEN ASSIGNING BUTTONS BY DOUBLE-CLICKING THE BUTTON ON RIGHT SIDE OF WINDOW AND ASSIGNING KEYBOARD KEY.

IF YOU ARE NOT SURE WHAT BUTTON NUMBER CORRESPONDS TO YOUR GAMEPAD, HIGHLIGHT "MAKE TXT FILE USE TO FIND BUTTON #" ....THEN MAKE A NEW TEXT FILE IN DOCUMENTS ANYWHERE AND ACT LIKE YOUR GETTING READY TO WRITE SOMETHING ON IT...NOW WHEN YOU PRESS EACH BUTTON YOU WILL GET A LETTER....JUST FIND THE CORRESPONDING NEXT TO THE LETTER AND THAT SHOULD HELP YOU FIGURE OUT WHAT BUTTON # IS FOR WHAT BUTTON ON YOUR GAMEPAD CONTROLLER.

MY CONTROLLER LOOKS JUST LIKE A PLAYSTATION CONTROLLER
MY CONTROLLERS BUTTONS ARE NUMBERED AS FOLLOWS (SHOULD BE UNIVERSAL FOR ALL 10 BUTTON PADS)

BUTTON 01..... LEFT BUTTON
        BUTTON 02..... BOTTOM BUTTON
        BUTTON 03..... RIGHT BUTTON
        BUTTON 04..... TOP BUTTON
        BUTTON 05..... L1 BUTTON
        BUTTON 06..... R1 BUTTON
        BUTTON 07..... L2 BUTTON
        BUTTON 08..... R2 BUTTON
        BUTTON 09..... SELECT BUTTON
        BUTTON 10..... START-PAUSE BUTTON

TO EXIT JOY TO KEY PROGRAM...RIGHT CLICK JOYSTICK ICON DOWN BY CLOCK IN LOWER RIGHT HAND OF YOUR COMPUTER SCREEN AND CLICK EXIT

HOPE THIS HELPS PEOPLE!!!

CONTENTS OF ATTACHMENT:  THE JOY-TO-KEY PROGRAM AND THESE INSTRUCTIONS.

(THIS IS AN OLDER VERSION OF JOY-TO-KEY 3.7.4 (NOT SHAREWARE).

NEWER VERSIONS OF JOYTOKEY ARE SHAREWARE.

Attached Files

Edited by xenonph, 18 November 2015 - 11:59 PM.

#7 Scorpion

Scorpion

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

• Flag: Italy

• Favorite Pinball: eight ball deluxe

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:02 PM

Very good work....i have Playstation joystick and X-Arcade, i can use it.

Thank you :love39:

#8 xenonph

xenonph

I have Pinball Fever!

• VIP
  • 3,907 posts

Contributor

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:33 PM

YOU'RE WELCOME SCORPION,

JUST TRYING TO HELP OTHERS AND MAKE IT EASIER FOR THE NEXT PERSON. YOU WILL FIND THAT THIS MAKES IT SO MUCH EASIER TO HIT THE MAGNA SAVE BUTTONS AND THE LEFT AND RIGHT NUDGING.

HOPE YOU ENJOY!!!

#9 Scorpion

Scorpion

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

• Flag: Italy

• Favorite Pinball: eight ball deluxe

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:45 PM

I before had the intuition to use backglass for dt pinballs, but you made all the work..... :love39:

#10 xenonph

xenonph

I have Pinball Fever!

• VIP
  • 3,907 posts

Contributor

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:55 AM

I AM GLAD IT HELPED YOU SCORPION.

THE HARDEST PART, WAS TRYING TO FIND EXACT SPOT FOR BACKGLASS WITHOUT COVERING SOMETHING UP. THATS WHAT TOOK THE LONGEST WHEN CONVERTING ALL THESE.

SO I FIGURED FOR THOSE WHO WERE CONVERTING DESKTOP TABLES TO USE BACKGLASS, WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THESE PRECONFIGURED SCREENRES.TXT SETTINGS...IT WILL SAVE ALOT OF TIME SO THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO FIND SETTINGS ON YOUR OWN.

IF YOU CAN THINK OF ANYTHING I MIGHT HAVE FORGOTTEN OR IF I HAVE MADE AN ERROR IN THIS POST, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CORRECT, OR ADD INFO THAT YOU FEEL IS RELEVANT.

I AM CURRENTLY TRYING TO GET ULTRA-VP-SERVER TO RUN WITH 1 MONITOR SETUP. WHEN I GET IT GOING I WILL POST THE INFO HERE.

I WAS ALWAYS TOLD..."IF YOU CAN THINK IT, IT CAN BE DONE!!"

I AM ON A MISSION!!!

I WILL ALSO TRY AND FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THE NON-VPM TABLES TO USE THE B2S BACKGLASS PROGRAM.

STAY TUNED!!!

Edited by xenonph, 14 November 2015 - 07:58 AM.

#11 xenonph

xenonph

I have Pinball Fever!

• VIP
  • 3,907 posts

Contributor

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:24 AM

I JUST FOUND THIS TOPIC IN FORUMS..

http://www.vpforums....ic=32383&page=2

AND THIS POST

http://www.vpforums....e=2#entry319880

KAAN HAS PROVIDED A SCRIPT CHANGE TO WHERE YOU DONT NEED THE ALWAYS-ON-TOP-APP.

THIS HAS ONLY BEEN TESTED ON A COUPLE OF TABLES. I WILL TEST WITH ALL TABLES AND GIVE YOU THE RESULTS. IT MAY TAKE ME AWHILE SO KEEP CHECKING BACK FOR UPDATED INFO.

THE BACKGLASS "STAYING ON TOP" IS CALLED FROM AND EXITS FROM THE TABLE SCRIPT AND KEEPS BACKGLASS ON TOP. FIND DIRECTIONS THERE.

THANKS AGAIN KAAN AND ALL WHO WERE INVOLVED.

EDIT:  THIS HAS ONLY BEEN TESTED WITH 2 TABLES. BUT STILL WORTH LOOKING INTO.

I JUST TRIED THIS WITH CONGO TUTORIAL TABLE AND IT WORKED!!

AS PER KAAN'S INSTRUCTIONS...

The codes added to the table are;

Dim apprun
Set apprun = CreateObject("wscript.shell")

apprun.Run("b2s.exe")

The first part is added to the start of the script and the second one is in the table init SUB.

I ADDED FIRST PART IN BLANK SPACE BETWEEN LINE  9 LoadVPM "00990300", "WPC.VBS", 1.0

AND LINE 11 Sub LoadVPM(VPMver, VBSfile, VBSver)

SO NOW LINES 10 AND 11 LOOK LIKE THIS

LINE 10 Dim apprun

LINE 11 Set apprun = CreateObject("wscript.shell")

IF YOU DIDNT USE THE COPY AND PASTE METHOD AND JUST WANT TO TYPE IT IN,

TYPE

Dim apprun

ON BLANK LINE 10

AND THEN PRESS ENTER

(WHICH MOVES CURSOR DOWN ONE LINE IN SCRIPT AND GIVING YOU BLANK SPACE ON LINE 11 TO TYPE NEXT LINE WITHOUT DELETING WHAT WAS ON LINE 11 PREVIOUSLY.)

TYPE

Set apprun = CreateObject("wscript.shell")

ON BLANK LINE 11

NOW TYPE

apprun.Run("b2s.exe")

ON BLANK LINE 72

NOW MAKE SURE YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED KAAN'S  B2S.EXE ZIP FILE AND MAKE SURE IT'S EXTRACTED IN SAME FOLDER AS CONGO TABLE.

NOW WHEN TABLE IS RUN THE BACKGLASS WILL STAY ON SCREEN WITHOUT ALWAYS-ON-TOP APP!

ON MY COMPUTER (WIN VISTA 64BIT)

A WINDOW POPS UP AND ASKS IF I WANT TO RUN b2s.exe

I HAVE TO CLICK OK AND THEN IT DISAPPEARS FOR ME.

BUT WHEN I HIT ALT-TAB THE BACKGLASS POPS RIGHT ON AND STAYS ON!!

THIS IS A GREAT ALTERNATIVE TO THE ALWAYS-ON-TOP APP!!

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE SEEMS TO BE THE FLIPPERS SEEM STICK MORE WITH KAAN'S METHOD.

REMEMBER IF YOU HAVE YOUR TABLES IN SEPERATE FOLDERS..YOU WILL NEED THE B2S,EXE FROM KAANS APP TO BE IN EACH FOLDER WITH EACH RESPECTIVE TABLE.

LINK TO KAAN'S SCRIPT CHANGE AND APP

http://www.vpforums....e=2#entry319880

Edited by xenonph, 15 November 2015 - 02:21 AM.

#12 rockhouse

rockhouse

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 609 posts

• Flag: England

• Favorite Pinball: flash, prospector, student prince and any e.m's from the 60's

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:32 PM

superb tutorial will save people a lot of time many thanks for posting :otvclap:

#13 BobAlbright

BobAlbright

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,294 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:51 PM

I'm not a desktop user but was curious how it would be done. I commend you on your very thorough guide which leaves no doubt on how to do things...even for the most computer illiterate people. Well done!

"and in the end , the love you take is equal to the love you make"

#14 xenonph

xenonph

I have Pinball Fever!

• VIP
  • 3,907 posts

Contributor

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:13 AM

I am just a beginner myself, so I tried to make this tutorial to be as easy as possible for people with limited computer skills like myself,  so everyone (Mainly Desktop Table users with 1 monitor) could have a chance to see all the backglasses in action.

Most of the info was scattered all over the forums and really was hard to find. Most db2s info said it wasn't possible for 1 monitor users.

Thanks for the kind feedback.

Keep on Pinballin'

#15 ddenn98

ddenn98

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Theatre of Majoc

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:44 PM

Dear Xenonph:

The article you wrote utilizing 1 monitor desktop setup for pinball was amazing!!!!

You are a genius!!!!!!

I currently have a 2 monitor setup where I want to display the pinball table on one monitor and the backglass and DMD on another monitor.

I can play tables on one monitor but the backglass is behind the table and the DMD is on the same monitor as well.

Any ideas on how to go about this?

Thank you very, very much.

Regards,

Dion
<>

#16 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:32 PM

Try the All-in-one installer

http://www.vpforums....&showfile=11573

-

You may need to check your b2s setup to make sure it is set correctly... it is located in the tables folder
The bottom half of the b2s setup is for a 3 screen setup so just leave them at zero for a 2 screen set-up

http://www.vpforums....als&article=136

-

Installing B2S backglasses, typically means you have a multi-monitor setup. Here are some common monitor setup tips:

-

The Game and Back Glass need to be the same name
1) Playfield monitor needs to be primary monitor 1 and it needs to be in landscape orientation (VP will not work if set to Portrait mode)
2) Layout of displays in Windows is important:   In Windows Control Panel -> Display -> Screen resolution.  Playfield monitor should be on the left with additional monitors to the right of the playfield and probably best to have it aligned with the Playfield monitor vertically (i.e. monitors should be not be higher or lower than playfield monitor location).  I don't think the order of the Backglass or DMD monitor is critical.  Mine is setup as Playfield, backglass then DMD monitor going left to right.

-

Attached Files

Edited by Outhere, 20 May 2016 - 01:45 PM.

#17 ddenn98

ddenn98

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Theatre of Majoc

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:56 PM

Dear Outhere:

I used the All-in-one installer.

I will use your instructions and go from there.

Many, many thanks,

Regards,

Dion
<> :love39:

#18 darkenslaved

darkenslaved

Neophyte

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek TNG

• 360 Gamer Tag: Darkenslaved

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:42 PM

thanks for the help guys, But I had got it all figured out. I wasn't changing the controller from pinmame to bns.server

#19 bassgeige

bassgeige

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 409 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Enjoyed on a regular basis.

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:07 PM

Which screen size is the minimal requirement to be able to use it? My idea was instead of a normal desktop monitor more the mobile PC area. For a mobile device it could be a great portable pinball! :-)

#20 kalavera

kalavera

Aprendiendo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

• Flag: Argentina

• Favorite Pinball: The Addams Family

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:09 PM

WOW!!!!!!!!!! I have never seen this beautiful tutorial, thank you very much for the huge explanation and for the dedication and good predisposition you have, thanks!

:love39:  :love39:  :love39: