fwiler

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:34 PM

I was wondering if some people with more knowledge than myself, could create a faq's to help out people.

I wouldn't mind working on it, but I find that I'm usually wrong  :unsure:

Some examples that I think would be helpful.

Setup. Software and files needed. For instance at first I didn't know that dB2S files weren't needed.  Or do we need full VP install or just VPX 10.6 standalone?

Settings within VPVR and what they do.  (For instance why resolution doesn't seem to change quality)

Settings within Steam VR (or why do we even need Steam VR)

Settings within Oculus (Such as debug tool or Oculus tray, which most people aren't aware of but can be very beneficial)

Settings within graphics card that can help or hinder VR

How to check your performance, and not rely on re-projection.

Questions like-

Why does table look sharper the closer you get to it?  What could help with sharpness from normal playing position?

Why Super Sampling in Steam is different than Oculus or within VPVR, or why you should use a combination?

Why loosing focus after table launches?

Will VPVR screw up my dedicated cabinet?  Or how to get both working.

Is there a way to emulate the look of VPVR on a normal screen even if we don't have head movement?

Should we skip VR altogether and try for VPX with BAM head tracking?

#2 blindpeser

blindpeser

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: WCS94

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:44 PM

Didnt have mich time.

Here is a basis we could start with. Any changes recommended. When this is finished, we could create a new thread and make it sticky:

First steps:

1. Install VPX
2. Install VPVR
3. Get and implement tables
4. Get and implement Roms
5. Make Adjustments
6. Start the table

1. Get and start the VP Installer:
https://www.vpforums...&showfile=11573

2. Get the VPVR addon and extract it into the Visual Pinball main directory
https://vpinball.com...pporting-files/

3. Get tables

4. To run the table you need an additional file (Rom) for each table. Get the Roms for the pinball tables you want to play and put them unzipped into the folder "/visual pinball/vpinmame/roms"

Check the tables scripts to find out which Rom versions you need or just got every Rom that is available for the tables you want to play.

5. Make adjustments (nudge, controlls, VR, sound and video options)

Coming soon

6. Start VPX, open a table and press the red arrow button to start the table.

Edited by blindpeser, 30 December 2020 - 11:11 AM.

#3 magnasaver

magnasaver

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Black Knight

Posted 11 February 2020 - 12:21 PM

Good to see some work on a a VR guide here. As new VPX VR user I had many hurdles to take and it was very difficult to find all information that is needed to get started. But with some efforts and trial and error I have managed to get most tables running in VR.  So in the end I have decided to compile all knowledqe I have collected into a small VR guide.

While I think that my version of the tutorial is useful for some, it might be an overkill for others as this is also about messing around with old VPX tables that were not made for VR, and how to make them usable in VR. 

On the other hand it misses some important points for some other users. For example, it does not contain anything related to cabinets as i do not own a cabinet by myself.

Basically my guide is ready to be shared. I just wonder what is the best way to proceed to make this tutorial useful for the community.

VPVR is still in development and many tweaks I propose in my guide, might become obsolete or not function any more in the near future.
So I think a good tutorial will likely need to be constantly updated and maintained. The problem is that, I will most likely not be able to do that.

I also think that to many different tutorials might be confusing for a newbee, so I am still unsure what is the best way to proceed.

#4 blindpeser

blindpeser

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for your efforts. Just share it here. Others could check and make changes, if neccessary. Maybe a mod could publish it in a new thread and make it sticky.
If it is huge, we maybe should split it.

#5 magnasaver

magnasaver

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Black Knight

Posted 11 February 2020 - 01:34 PM

Preface

I have just started to use VPX, and I still consider myself to be a beginner. It took me quite alot of time to get around the basics. One main problem with using VPX in VR is that VPVR is quite new and most of the tables are not yet optimised for VR. For this reason some tables do not show the DMD or all the digits that you usually see on the backglass, which make alot of tables unusable. But after a lot of research and many trials and errors, I have managed to tweak most of the tables in such a way that they become usable in VR. If I say usable that means that you have at least the DMD or the scoring somehow displayed in VR.

So I have decided to put all information I have collected together and write a little how to get started guide for VR users. I hope this tutorial will be helpful for VR beginners, but also for those who have some experience with VPVR but still have problems to get some tables to work in VR.

As I am myself still a beginner in VPX there are defnitely many things I have not yet found out by myself and there might also be some mistakes in my short guide. So let me know, if you have some proposals to improve this guide. Also, feel free to modify, change or copy this tutorial or any part of this tutorial as you like it. I do not claim any kind of copyright here. If you want to write a tutorial by yourself, you can use any part of this tutorial and integrate it in your tutorial as you like it. You do not have to ask for my permission for this.

This guide was written in February 2020. VR is very new for VPX and still under development. In future releases some of my suggestions might not work any more or may become obsolete. Unfortunately, I will most likely not have much time to keep this tutorial up to date. Please keep that in mind!

Note:
Before you make any changes of the table I do recommend to save the table under a different name that you can always go back to the original version as you might also risk that the table does not work at all after your have applied your changes. So keep a copy of the original table as you might want to come back to the original version at some point in the future.

Part 1 - "Installation"

1) Install VPX:
Search the internet for the latest AllinOne Installer of VPX. This will install many other programs which are needed and you would have to install otherwise seperately.

2) Install the latest beta update:
Download the zip file, unpack it and copy all the files into yout Visual Pinball folder.

3) Install the latest version of vpvr:
https://sourceforge....cts/vpvr/files/
Download the zip file, unpack it and copy all the files into yout Visual Pinball folder.

4) Install the tables you want to play:
Download a table you want to play. For your first try you should choose a VR room table because these tables are optimized for VR and cause the least problems.

Read and follow the instructions of the table. Usually it gives you the instruction just to unzip and copy the files to your install folder.

NOTE: If the instructions say that you have to use DMDext or Freezy, an extra step will be required. I will describe this later in section 2.3 of this tutorial.

5) Install the ROMs for the tables you want to use: Remember even if the install description of your table does not mention it, you will most likely need a ROM unless you want to install a EM table or a original table. This is for a VPX veteran so obvious that they usually do not mention it in the install notes. Please refer to the ROM tutorial here, if you have problems finding the right ROM: https://www.vpforums...showtopic=43612 .

-Do NOT unzip the file. Just copy the zipped file as it is into the "...Visual Pinball/VPinMame/roms" folder.

6) Plug in your headset and start to play the table.

7) Position your table:
 you can adjust move the table inside your play space in the:
 "Preferences" - "VR Settings" section of your menu change
 "VR Table Orientation", "VR Table X", "VR Table Y" and "VR Table Height"
 to reposition the table.
(I like using a table height of 100 for a standing experience and 80 for a seated experience)

Troubleshooting:

- If VPX crashes when starting a table:
There might be many different reasons for this. So there are also many different solutions. Here are some examples what you could do:

-- Try to close VPX and restart it again.
 When using a VR headset it sometimes crashes the first time you load a table. But often it does not require any changes at all and it works flawlessly after one or two restarts of VPX.
I have noticed this especially after I change the settings of PinMame. (E.g. if I enable external DLL)

-- Check the script and check if you have installed the correct ROM (See my little tutoral about ROMs: https://www.vpforums...showtopic=43612 )

-- Check the script, if you have to make any settings in the script.
 Sometimes you have to change a variable to adapt the script to your needs. Usually variables that should be altered by the user can be found somewhere in the upper part of the script. And usually the author of the script adds a comment that decribes how these variables should be changed. Especially look for a variable that defines what display method for the DMD should be used. If you find such a variable change the variable to choose the PinMAME option.

- If you just see a 2d table on your monitor and no VR version. Make sure you have VPVR installed and that you have started the correct exe (VPinballX_GL.exe or VPinballX_GL64.exe).

- If you see the left and right eye only on the monitor and not in the headset: There seems to be a bug when using VPVR with OpenVR:If you use Steam and start a table the second time the left and right eye will be shown only on the monitor and not in the headset. Restart VPX and the table should be correctly displayed in the headset.

- If your controller does not work, click on the window to be sure that VPX is the active window

- If you have no rom sound: maybe you need to look for another rom. Or try to set the volume of the rom. You can change the volume differntly depening on the type of rom you use. Search the internet to find a solution for your rom.

- If you do not see a DMD or your score in VR: Ḱeep reading. This will be covered later in this tutorial.

Part 2 - Adapting tables for VR

2.1 How to show your DMD in VR

You can add DMD in VR quite easily by following these two steps:

1 Edit the script
2 Add a flasher or a textbox and enable script DMD

2.1 Edit the script:

Once you have added your DMD by using either the "TextBox" or the "Flasher" method
you most likely will also have to edit your script.

Search the script for LoadVPM and enter these two lines before:

Dim UseVPMDMD
UseVPMDMD = true

Note: The first of these two lines "Dim UseVPMDMD" can only be once in the script.
If the original author of your table has already included this line in the script and you add this again, you will get an error message. Therefore in this case only add the second line "UseVMPDMD = True"

2.2 Add a flasher or a textbox and enable script DMD

2.2.1 The TextBox Method

If you want to use a table that does not show a DMD in VR, you can try the following these steps:
-
- Go to the editor an change your view to backglass mode (left icon in 3rd line of the icon bar in VPX editor)
- add a TextBox
- make sure your TextBox is selected by clicking on it
- click on the "Options" icon (left icon in 2nd line)
- then you will see a popup window with more options for your TextBox:
 Edit this as follows:
 In your "State & Physics" section:
 check the "Use Script DMD" checkbox and/or write "DMD" into the "Text" field

Configuration of the DMD (colors, size, and position)

Now lets configure the DMD to make it look better...

Select the Textbox of your DMD and open the options window (if it isnot already opened. Here you can configure your DMD. Some settings here will have no effect in VR but you can make the following changes:

Changing the colors:
In your colors section: you can set the color fo your DMD (set black for the "Back Color" and red for "Text Color" to get the classic DMD look)
Color settings might not work here if you use DMDext

Changing the size:
In your "Position" section you can change with and height of yout DMD
I do like to set these values to "With: 1024" and "Height: 256"
This will give you a huge DMD, wich I makes it easy for me to read in VR
Try some values and see what is working best for you.

Changing the position:

Other position values like x and y value will have no effect.

As far as I know there is no way to move the DMD left or right if you use a TextBox (you have to use the Flasher Method to do that). However, you are able to move the DMD higher or lower by inceasing or decreasing the height of the whole backglass. In order to do so follow these steps:

- leave the Backglass view mode and go back into the Table view mode by clicking the backglass icon again (left icon in 3rd line of the icon bar in VPX editor)

- Make sure no object is selected by clicking with your mouse at a place that does not contain any objects of your table.

- Make sure that your option window is still enabled (if not click on the "Options" icon (left icon in 2nd line))
- Now in your Options Window you should see the options for your "Table"
- Expand the "Dimensions & Slope" section
- Edit the "Top Glass Height" value to move the DMD gigher and lower

This will not only increase or decrease the DMD but also all other objects on the DMD. If you want to change the height of the DMD without changing the height of the whole backglass us the Flasher Method.

2.2.2 The Flasher Method

The Flasher Method will give you more control on the positioning, but takes a little bit longer to implement as the positioning and sizing of flashers can be tedious.

The process is similar to the TextBox Method with a few differences:

- Instead of creating a TextBox you create a flasher
- Flashers must be added in the Table View mode while TextBoxes must be added in Backglass mode
- Select the flasher and enable the options window if it is not yet enabled
- Check the "Use Script DMD" checkbox
 (you have no Text field in a flasher so this is the only way to tell VPX that this Flasher is should display a DMD)
- Flashers must be rotated by -90 degrees to be displayed on a backglass
 (set RotX to -90)
- Change the size and position of the flasher as you like it you can move it in all directions...

2.3 How to use DMDext

In some cases (especially on older SS machines) you might need to enable dmdext to see your scores in VR.
This enables you to render one part of your monitor in VR.

- Open VPX
- Open "Preferences" - "Configure Keys, Nudge and DOF..." in your menu and make sure that you have "Capture External Dlls" checked.
 (You can set this once and keep it checked so you will not have to do this again)
- Start your table
- Press "F1" This should open a dialog with the settings of VPinMame
- check use externaldll
- Restart VPVR
- Now you should see the upper left part of the monitor rendered at the dmd place in VR.

The next challenge might be, to position and size your DMD that it fits into your DMD in VR.
First make sure that a DMD display is shown on your monitor:
You can choose between two types of DMDs one ist what I call here "Original DMD"
(there is propably a better name for it so let me know )
The "Original DMD" is the DMD that is created without using external dlls,
while the "Virtual DMD" is created usind the external dlls of DMDext.
Depending on the table and your taste you might prefer one or the other.

Original DMD
- To display the original DMDOpen the script and look for ".hidden = in the init section of the table.
 Then set this value to 0 in order to display the DMD on your monitor.
- Now you can reposition and resize this dmd as follows:
 - Hover the mouse over the DMD and right click on it
 - Then choose "show borders"
 - Then you can change the size and position of the DMD with your mouse.
You might run into the problem that the position jumps back to its original size. In order to avoid this I recommend the following procedure:

-] After ajusting size and position of the DMD click once on the DMD and] then click once on the area outside of the DMD.
-] Then press "q" two times to quit the table.
-] Then save the table and quit VPX
-] Then restart VPX and reload the table and confirm if the your changes were saved correctly
-] If you still have problems with the positioning of the table, it might be helpful for you to know, that these position values are stored in the following windows registry path:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Software - Freeware - VisualPinMame - "your GameName"
You can also edit the position directly with your registry editor.
(Type regedit into your windows terminal)

Virtual DMD
If you want use DMDext external dlls a window will open that displays Virtual DMD

- If you don't see the Virtual DMD on the top left of your monitor. the reason for this might be that the window with the DMD is hidden behind the window of the table. In this case you might need to press the windows key and select the Virtual DMD window

- Now If you start the game you might have the problem that your controller does not work any more. This is because the controller passes its commands only to VPX if VPX is the active window. But as soon as you click on the VPX window to make the window active Virtual DMD might disappear again. If this is your problem, open the DmdDevice.ini in the VPinMAME folder and make sure it contains "stayontop = true".

By the way: This file can also help you to position and size your VirtualDMD according to your needs. Depending on your personal preferences you might also want to set here hidegrip to true or false, which enables or disables a small triangular resize icon on the bottom right of the DMD.

2.4 Moving digits to show your scores in VR

On some tables that are not optimized for VR you can see the scores but you can see the digits on or underneath the playfield
In this case you might want to move these digits to the left or to the right so that you can see them better in VR. In order to move them you have to select the items of the digits befor you can move them.

Select the items

- Go to the backglass view of VPX
- Then click on the select icon (which is the 2nd icon in the top row)
- Then box selelect with your mouse the digits you want to move around.

Alternative selection method: Press ctrl+shift+e or choose "Edit - Select element" from the menu bar to open the item selector. Then you can also select multple items in the item selector: While holding down the ctrl key , but be aware that one digit can consist of many different items. So it can be very difficult to select everything if you do not use the box select method.

The Collection Manager as a selection tool: There is also a "Collection Manager" which can be used to group items that belong together into a collection. This can help you to easily reselect a group of items once a collection is created. The collection manager can be opened by pressing F8.Once you have created a collection you can easily reselect this by expanding the select icon (2nd icon in the top row). Then choose yourcollectionname(COL). Quite often there is a huge list of items if you expoand this icon. If you deselect all layers by clicking on the "#" icon, however, only your collections will show up.

- After you have made a selection you can move these objects using one of the following three moving methods:

Moving Method I (Using the translate feature):

- After you have selected your items, move your mouse cursor over one of your selected items
- Then right click to open the context menu.
- In the context menu you should now have a "translate" options available.
If it is not available one reason might be that your mouse cursor was at a wrong position while you were clicking the right mouse button. In this case reselect all items you want to move and try it again.
- Then click on the translate option.
- Now a popup window should open.
- Here enter a positive or negative x value to move your object right or left,
 or enter a positive or negative y value to move your object up or down.
- Now each time you click on "Apply" you can move all selectet items in the desired direction. As you can click apply several times in a row you can move your items fast.I recommend to use 10 or -10 for a quick movement and 1 or -1 for fine tuning.
 - Once you have repositioned your Items you can close the popup window by clicking the "OK" button.

For me this Method I is the fastest and best way to move items around in the editor. I would recommend to try this method first. And if you have for some reasons problems with this method, you can try, if you get better results with the other two methods I describe below.

Moving Method II (Using the cursor keys):

You can also use the cursor keys to move some secleted items around in the editor.

But this method might not work or can be very slow:
- You might press several times on the "right arrow" key, and then you will see no reaction for a long time until the computer has finished all the calculations needed to move the object. (I have no idea why it takes so long and what the computer is calculating but be prepared that it can take a very long time until you see a reaction.)

- I had also no luck with moving some kind of objects (like flasher objects) using this method.

Moving Method III (Cut and paste)

Even if the editor does not support cut and paste you can reach the same result if you:
-] copy the selected items (without pasting it yet)
-] then delete the selected items
-] and then finally use "paste at" to to paste it at the place you want the items to be.

However, at least for me it is very difficult to place an object precisely using the "paste at" feature as the object does not appear at the place where I expect it to be placed. Maybe I am doing something wrong here.

#6 fwiler

fwiler

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:16 PM

Couple of notes.

You can set Oculus Home screen not to start when you put on headset.  Same with SteamVR's home screen.  This can be helpful when testing tables and getting things set up.Windows WMR I'm not sure.  I've given up on their mixed reality portal, the weird Window key + Y to change focus, and constant refusal to make things easier for users. 

Actually starting a table can be a hassle if you aren't used to vpx or vr.

My suggestion is to launch the table from vpvr before you put the headset on.  This solves all the issues of what is viewed initially when you put a headset on and trying to find the table on a virtual desktop.

When you have your tables the way you like them then you can move on to creating a better launch experience.

Rawd posted a great guide to add tables to SteamVR once your ready.  That way you can just select individual tables easily instead of launching table first before putting on headset or trying to use virtual desktop.  https://www.vpforums...showtopic=43619

I think having these in Steam as a game is the best first step if you eventually want a front end.  Front ends can access Steam shortcuts easily.

Also 0 and 5 will reset view and 8 and 2 will raise and lower table.

#7 blindpeser

blindpeser

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:32 PM

Windows WMR I'm not sure.  I've given up on their mixed reality portal, the weird Window key + Y to change focus, and constant refusal to make things easier for users. 

I am using a Odyssey+ and it works flawless here.

#8 fwiler

fwiler

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:25 AM

Windows WMR I'm not sure.  I've given up on their mixed reality portal, the weird Window key + Y to change focus, and constant refusal to make things easier for users. 

I am using a Odyssey+ and it works flawless here.

I have the original Odyssey (don't use it anymore)  But I just recently plugged it in again to test difference between Oculus.  How do you get past the cliff house automatically launching when you put on the headset?  That and the Window key + Y to get back to normal desktop?  To me it just seems odd the extra steps needed just to play a game and exit it.  There's probably a fix by now that I'm not aware of, but if you a work around that would be helpful.

Edited by fwiler, 12 February 2020 - 01:26 AM.

#9 phlove

phlove

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

• Flag: Costa Rica

• Favorite Pinball: Walking dead

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:28 PM

Hi a little question from me ,

i saw your guide above how to do DMD in your VPR tables.

So i created a table , changed the script and got a dmd. So far all good.

Now my question:

The dmd is for me a little to small i want to enlarge it. How do i enlarge the dmd that is already sitting in the right position without creating a flasher or a textbox ?

regards

#10 Rawnei

Rawnei

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 319 posts

• Flag: Sweden

• Favorite Pinball: There's too many good ones but I really love the atmosphere in Cirque Voltaire!

Posted 05 March 2020 - 05:45 AM

Settings within VPVR and what they do.  (For instance why resolution doesn't seem to change quality)

Why does table look sharper the closer you get to it?  What could help with sharpness from normal playing position?

Why Super Sampling in Steam is different than Oculus or within VPVR, or why you should use a combination?

To answer some of your questions more directly, they are not specific for VPVR but rather general VR questions.

Each headset has it's own resolution, that's how the headset was designed according to hardware capabilities, you always render at the resolution that the headset is designed for, what you can do is supersample which increases or decreasess the resolution in software and then downscales/upscales it when rendering in hardware to increase or decrease image quality/performance but you don't "set" the resolution you get it from the hardware and the API.

All VR software needs to use an API, SteamVR API is open, easy to use, good functionality, has a large range of support for headsets etc. If you used say Oculus API instead for example you would be limited to Oculus headsets.

In SteamVR settings you can enable a performance graph and choose to display it on the monitor, in the headset or both.

Limitations in current VR hardware, the resolution and pixel density are limiting, a more high-end headset gives better results, for example Valve Index.

It's not different, it produces the same result, it increases the resolution in software before downscaling/upscaling it to hardware for either increasing quality or performance. You should always only have supersampling in one place not multiple because it's additive, VPVR will ask SteamVR API for the resolution of the headset, if you have supersampling enabled in SteamVR you will get the supersampled resolution, i.e. 1000x1000 x1.5 = 1500x1500, if you then set supersampling inside VPVR then you will supersample the already supersampled resolution inside VPVR as well 1500x1500 x1.5 = 2250x2250, this will impact your performance greatly and probably not produce the results you were expecting. Supersampling has diminishing returns, after a certain rate you will not notice the effect greatly but it will have a big impact on performance since you need to render more pixels, there are a lot of discussions and debates about what to set it to, some claim they don't see a difference after 1.5, some claim they see a big difference up to 2.5 however there is a huge performance difference between 1.5 and 2.5 (more than twice the resolution that you have to render in software).

#11 waynewhitney

waynewhitney

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 09 March 2020 - 03:39 PM

I understand raising, lowering and centering the table. Where is the adjustment for each table's distance from the viewer?

Some tables appear to be a foot or so away, such that I can see the coin door when playing. Obviously, when you stand at a real game, and look down, you should be looking at the lock bar.

Is this distance adjustment somewhere in the script? 

#12 Rawd

Rawd

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 4,311 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Triple Strike

Posted 09 March 2020 - 06:43 PM

I understand raising, lowering and centering the table. Where is the adjustment for each table's distance from the viewer?

Some tables appear to be a foot or so away, such that I can see the coin door when playing. Obviously, when you stand at a real game, and look down, you should be looking at the lock bar.

Is this distance adjustment somewhere in the script? 

We do not have a table specific option for this yet.   Hopefully it will come in a VPVR update.   You can change it in the VPVR coordinates in settings, but it is a global setting for now.   You can also recenter the table, when you're standing a little further back, and then walk up to your cabinet.

Edited by Rawd, 09 March 2020 - 06:54 PM.

#13 waynewhitney

waynewhitney

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 07:35 PM

Thanks! Why didn't I think of that??? It makes a huge difference when the positions of the table and pin sim match up!

BTW, the AFM room is FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!!

#14 javagrind888

javagrind888

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• Favorite Pinball: South Park

Posted 16 July 2020 - 04:53 AM

I'm new to this (today) and am trying to fine tune the graphics settings.  What are the settings "VR Near Plane" and "VR Far Plane" for?  

I have a Samsung Odyssey original and can't wait to get the coming Reverb2, but will have to settle for this for now.

Some tables are rather dark (I'm used to LED's and Pinstadium lighting).  Is there a way to brighten certain tables up?

#15 Rawd

Rawd

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 4,311 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Triple Strike

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:10 AM

I'm new to this (today) and am trying to fine tune the graphics settings.  What are the settings "VR Near Plane" and "VR Far Plane" for?  

I have a Samsung Odyssey original and can't wait to get the coming Reverb2, but will have to settle for this for now.

Some tables are rather dark (I'm used to LED's and Pinstadium lighting).  Is there a way to brighten certain tables up?

Set the VR Far plane to like 50,000.  This will allow you to see further in rooms that require it.  To brighten up a table/room, when you first load up the table, in the options on the right side, under lighting..  turn up the slider a bit...  Although I'm not sure why it's dark.   HAVE FUN!

Edited by Rawd, 16 July 2020 - 05:11 AM.

#16 OMNIKAM

OMNIKAM

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Ghostbusters Le

Posted 30 August 2020 - 01:38 AM

Thanks for the amazing Vr  faq

Im trying to convert non Vr tables to VR but getting the DMD to display and remain in focus is a pain

I have nearly  everything working. But no matter what i do i cannot get the DMD to stay on top of the other windows.

Ive edited the DmdDevice.ini and changed it to stayontop = true, but the window still doesn't stay on top

Is there another way to get DMD working when this method has failed?

UPDATE

I managed to get things working

Edited by OMNIKAM, 27 September 2020 - 07:01 AM.

#17 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,790 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 31 August 2020 - 07:02 AM

Thanks for the amazing Vr  faq

Im trying to convert non Vr tables to VR but getting the DMD to display and remain in focus is a pain

I have nearly  everything working. But no matter what i do i cannot get the DMD to stay on top of the other windows.

Ive edited the DmdDevice.ini and changed it to stayontop = true, but the window still doesn't stay on top

Is there another way to get DMD working when this method has failed?

I am not sure if this has any bearing on VPXVR but, in normal VPX
if DMD is coming from pinmame, you want to make sure cabinet mode is checked
and you may also want to right click on the backglass and uncheck the option to bring it to the front.

So maybe it applies in VR?

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#18 drinkcristal

drinkcristal

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:41 PM

Hi folks,

This guide is great for a noob like myself. I have had some success on digital machines porting to VR (lucky seven and mata hari). However, I am struggling with EM tables. I am trying to use the capture backglass, selecting backglassimage FSS mode (add bg) etc but with no effect. Backglass shows but it is static.

Is there something that needs to be added to the script to enable the backglass on EM tables using b2s to be displayed in VR?

thanks in advance.

#19 Madonion

Madonion

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

• Flag: South Africa

• Favorite Pinball: Ghostbusters LE (Stern 2016)

Posted 02 July 2021 - 04:08 PM

Damn for some reason i cant get color dmd to work in VR anymore my tables just close out but in LCD mode they work fine. Cant for the love figure it out. My HP g2 looks insane quality thought its like real life tables :D

#20 R4ND0M

R4ND0M

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

• Flag: Germany

Posted 03 July 2021 - 08:03 AM

My HP g2 looks insane quality thought its like real life tables :D

I agree, VR fully reveals what magnificent jobs the table (re)creators have done with their builds! :love39::otvclap: