I originally considered building a cab and picked up the ultimate builders kit for hardware first. I then chose to buy the cab from VirtuaPin and it is amazing. If I had to do it over again, I would order the fully trimmed cabinet, with the finished speaker panel, apron, playfield glass, backbox glass with the ultrawide backbox and Flipper Fidelity Speakers as one order. They do great work and definitely simplifies the build process.
The Playfield and Backglass is a LG and Samsung. The LG is just a good price and great screen and the Samsung I got was a floor display and got it for half off as it didn't come with a stand. For the DMD I chose after a TON of research, an IPS screen (B156HAN01.2) for a laptop, the display angles are great! 85 degree viewing from any direction, I am extremely pleased. I strongly pondered a Vishay DMD, yet couldn't justify it being the most expensive screen in the cab. No regrets with the IPS screen I got.
Be aware if buying a recommended panel, mine or another on the forum, check with the seller what panel they have in stock as they will send an equivalent panel that would work with a laptop. Often times the 'equivalent' angle, gamut, brightness, etc specs pales in comparison to specific model others got and love.
I also jumped on Zeb's last PacLED64 bundle deal (Woot!) and ecstatic with all the toys I can now add on to the cab.
Current progress video:
Here is the build list:
- The frontend for selecting tables. It is a great solution that is continually being improved!
This is the main reason I am here as all the folks who make this possible are amazing.
- The latest release that table authors keep showing off all the cool new functionality
- Most of my tables are using this emulator and some really amazing tables are available
- VP PhysMod5
- Want the playability of v99 with an extra physics engine to make the ball response more realistic? You have found it.
- VP 915
- I only have 2 tables that use this version, but they are great tables, so they are in my table list
- Zen Studios did right for cab owners, it can now support 3 screen setups and while it focuses on arcade vs realistic pinball, it really is a fun experience. I have almost all the tables available and buy them when they are 50-75% off on steam or even better a humblebundle deal.
- This is where the magic for forcefeedback and external toys (lights, fans, shaker etc) happens for Visual Pinball tables. If you are building a cab, this should be on your short list!
- Tired of searching online for media (Videos, images, wheel art) for your tables? This amazing program makes that super simple and makes PinballX shine!
- For the ease of setting up multiple screens in a visual way. This comes bundled with PBXRecorder but is much more useful for ensuring your cab screens are setup correctly
- Ok, not really software, but needed just the same. Some really nice normalized audio files for PinballX as you scroll thru the tables you have installed. Is there a table audio file missing? gStAv has been great to work with you to get them included.
- I used to use this for more of its features, but now only use it for the quick update to the DMDs so that they can be colorized for each table. This really makes each table DMD have its own style other than the standard Orange DMD.
- For animated backglass screens with Visual Pinball and to allow DOF to communicate with the hardware
- Cuz you need an Operating System, and this one works very nicely with all the above.
LG 42LF5600 42" Full HD LED TV
Samsung UN32F5000 32 Class 5000 Series 1080p LED TV
AU OPTRONICS B156HAN01.2 LAPTOP LCD SCREEN 15.6" Full-HD and HDMI VGA DVI Audio Controller board
Ultimate Cab-Builder's Kit (Widebody)
- Upgraded to Williams/Bally Coin Door
WPC-style Widebody Virtual Pinball Cabinet - Satin Finish
- Backbox upgraded to Ultrawide
WPC DMD Speaker Panel - 5.25" - Unfinished
- upgraded to Ultrawide
Flipper Fidelity 5.25" Coaxial Speaker and Subwoofer Set
0.100 Acrylic Speaker Panel Facing - 5.25"
- upgraded to Ultrawide
2x Williams/Bally speaker panel latch bracket
7" x 7" piece of black, plastic speaker mesh
2x 120mm Chrome Grill
PacLED64 Output Kit
- The pacled output kit (with a ultimarc pacled64 board) is the main board that can drive all the rgb lights and strobes, shaker, knocker, solenoid/contactor, wiper motor. This is the main board that dof communicates thru.
- The Opto flipper board is for having flipper feedback via solenoid/contactor for every button press. This does not use DOF to run so you get a clack of the flippers in pinballx, pinball fx2, pinball arcade, everything really, should you want that
- For the authentic experience for those tables that have plungers
- The booster board provides additional options for toys and varied voltage outputs. I have my fan, red and blue beacons on the booster board
- Lots of tables use these, the shaker motor really can move the cab around, I have mine turned down quite a bit. And the wiper motor whirs when gates, ramps, the ringmaster and more move
- Sits angled at the top of the play field for more engaging experience. I used to watch vids saying I didnt need that distraction, but have to say my opinion clearly changed once they were here since it came as part of the bundle deal Zeb offered
- The current limiting resister board is for the rgb lights on the lightbar. Those buggers are bright!
- Get a match score at end of game or earn a replay? TH-WACK! goes the knocker. One of my favorite toys
- For those games that don't use the Plunger
- Only using 2 on my cab, but one is 'Start' and the other 'Buy Extra Ball'
- For under the cab and behind the backbox (have yet to install these)
- Used on Zeb's PacLED board
- For button mapping to keyboard commands. If buying a plunger and nudge controller kit, this is likely not necessary for your build. I had it laying around already so used it
All buttons using True-Leaf Pro switches and Helio9 High Output RGB w/24" Color Coded Wires
2x Electric ICE 2 Concave Lightable Horizontal Pushbutton
- Right and Left Flipper
- Right and Left MagnaSave
Attwood Quiet Blower (White, 4-Inch)
- Sits in center top of backbox facing the player and everyone that has felt it, thought it added nicely to the experience
Wolo (3210-B) Emergency 1 Rotating Emergency Warning Light - Blue Lens, Magnet Mount
- I love the teardrop shape and fits perfectly on the right and left side of the backbox
- These are nice effects to the cab for all but the flippers. These have a louder secondary sound 'Thump-THUMP' which is not what I expect when I press the flipper, so use them for all other feedback options.
- STROBES are great for either blinding the player (should you opt for that) or adding a dramatic effect to the table being played
12V Red LED Lamp Momentary 19mm Stainless Steel Pushbutton Switch
- The virtuapin cabinet has a 3rd button hole smaller than the other 2 above it, so this is what I am using in the smallest hole. It is the 'Exit' button
- Mounted to the bottom of the cabinet so I can plug in my keyboard, Hard Drive, etc when needed
- This is what turns on all devices when I turn on the PC. The PC power button is mounted under the cab as expected for the power button on a pinball machine.
- This is driving all the toys and Zebs PacLED board
- Drives the main audio of the system
100x 1N4007 Diode 1A 1000V Rectifier Diodes
- Needed for the contactors and solenoids to prevent electrical issues
- Using these as the right and left flipper feedback, they give a nice 'Snap' sound when activated.
- These work great for routing your wires and keeping things tidy
- This is a must! lol
- For mounting boards in the cabinet
100pcs Red Insulated Female&Male Bullet Butt Connector wire Crimp Terminals
Hook-Up Wire Rack with 5 x 100ft Spools of 22AWG Wire (left over from arcade build)
Crimp Terminal Female Spade Connector + Case 4.8mm Brass Plated Tin Pack of 200 (left over from arcade build)
Computer (NEW 2015)
8GB DDR3-1600 RAM
ASRock Extreme3 motherboard
NetGear WNDA3100 N600 USB 2.0 Dual Band Wireless Adapter - Refurbished
I am reusing from the old machine:
Razer Star Wars The Old Republic Gaming Keyboard
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked 2GB GDDR5 PCIe x16 3.0 Video Card
Crucial m4 256GB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Corsair TX 750W Power Supply Midtower case (don't recall, bought it in 2003, its a case)
Edited by Sneetch, 12 May 2016 - 01:56 PM.