Photo
- - - - -

Visual Pinball 9.1.2 w/ integrated gamepad configuration (NOT OFFICIAL) (build7)

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family/Fish Tales/Medieval Madness

Contributor

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

This particular version of VP has become deprecated as the newest version 9.13 has every feature I added plus some :)

FULL install: http://www.vpforums....s&showfile=6970
Standalone w/ new FreeImage.dll: http://www.vpforums....s&showfile=6971

Not really sure what happened to the content of this first post, but here is a link to build7 - http://www.mediafire...44cvxvbddxb9ejr

Edited by koadic, 01 November 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#2 FDSystems

FDSystems

Eclectic end-user

• Charter Member
  • 2,476 posts

• Flag: Brazil

• Favorite Pinball: I will have to find out again.............

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

GRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT !!!

But not for me as I only play Piano Pinball ! dirol.gif (keyboard)

But Itīs very nice to know that there are still people working on VP! otvclap.gif dblthumb.gif

Edited by 1234fd, 14 April 2012 - 03:18 PM.

From Brasil. Updated version of 1234fd

#3 TheMcD

TheMcD

Pinball Wizard

• VPF Staff
  • 2,458 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Frankenstein, Safecracker, Big Hurt, Four Horsemen, Tommy, X-Files

Contributor

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hm... I do have a gamepad with two analog sticks. This should make for some neat experimenting.

The McD

EDIT: The analog plunger does not seem to work for me, but I'm not experienced in that field. The analog nudge works, so I know it's not an issue with the build or the gamepad, but apparently with the tables. Is there a way to figure out which tables support analog plungers and which don't?

EDIT 2: Alright, I grabbed some FS tables to test with, and the analog plunge is quite iffy. Out of the four, only Big Bang Bar was even workable. Class of 1812 never managed to touch the ball, Big Hurt was too weak and Cue Ball Wizard didn't even work at all. Not quite sure just how all this jazz works.

Edited by TheMcD, 14 April 2012 - 03:57 PM.

VPF's resident pinball music fanatic.

The McD's Pinball Music Emporium: YouTube /// MediaFire /// Twitter

#4 Spellbot5000

Spellbot5000

Hobbyist

• Platinum Supporter
  • 33 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Arabian Nights

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

Hmm, can't seem to get this working quite right. It recognizes my 360 wireless pad fine, and automatically assigns nudge to the left stick, but I can't map the plunger to the right stick and have it work. Even if I map the plunger to the left stick, which works fine for nudge, it still won't work there. Is there anything I need to do to the table beyond possibly enabling the Filter Mechanical Plunger tickbox?

Edited by Spellbot5000, 14 April 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#5 bluemonkey519

bluemonkey519

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Taxi, TOTAN, Elvis, Pin*Bot...

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

THANK YOU so much for this dblthumb.gif
Just figured out all my buttons. I am able to use the right analog stick for the plunger... however, it's always pulled back a little bit and makes it more difficult for games with skill shots. I think there is a setting on Windows where you can configure a game pad and that should fix it. Will look into that.

This is awesome... so glad to finally be able to use my controller for this..

#6 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Contributor

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Alright, to get the analog plunger working on tables, and have it look right, it needs to have support in the script, but there is a quick and dirty way too if it doesn't already support an analog plunger...

1) If the plunger moves when you move the stick without hitting the ball, you need to select the Plunger object in the editor (not the backglass view) and check the box that says 'Enable Mechanical Plunger'. Also, if it works, and it just doesn't hit it hard enough, you can adjust the strength of the plunger at this time too. @Bluemonkey -> select the Plunger and change the 'Park Position' to 0 instead of 0.1666667 to get it to rest all the way at its end position.

2) (The Quick and Dirty Method) If Plunger support isn't already included in the table, and the table doesn't already use a VP Plunger Object (a lot of tables use a kicker), you can add a Plunger, move it to the proper position, check the 'Enable Mechanical Plunger' box, and then uncheck the 'Visable' box. The VP Plunger Object will be there, and will work, but you won't have to look at it sitting over the existing plunger animation. With this method, you won't have any plunger animation when using the analog input (would have to edit the script to get it), but you will have a working plunger that responds to the analog input.

@Spellbot5000 There have been previous issues trying to get the XBox360 controller to work, as there is a theory that even though it may show the Z axis, it may actually be recognized as a Slider. If you can get it working with either the X or Y axis after trying one of the two methods listed above, but not the Z axis, try selecting a different axis until hopefully one works (just like I think the wheel on the Sidewinder Freestyle Pro shows as a Z axis in the gamepad control panel, it is actually using the Slider instead). If you still can't get it to work after that, send me a PM and I will see what I can do about getting it working correctly.

Edited by koadic, 14 April 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#7 rascal

rascal

two-faced as they come

• VIP
  • 1,282 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Bally Eight Ball

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

Working real nice here! dblthumb.gif

I think that the MS Sidewinder Freestyle should be removed from the hard coding now. Just leave the Pinball Wizard and whatever else was there.

I have a freestyle myself and I don't think the slider wheel is going to work well as a plunger and would like to be able to choose.

Posted Image

#8 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Contributor

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

The only hard coding it really has is that it uses the slider for the plunger, that's about it.

Still kinda interested on how well one of those magnetic pots might work hooked up to the slider input. smile.gif

Edited by koadic, 14 April 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#9 Bob5453

Bob5453

I'm taking a nap

• VIP
  • 3,896 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Any table I can play while sitting in a rocking chair

• Trophies:

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

Great work. It works awesome for me.

Thanks!

Thanks to Rascal for helping me with it in the Chatroom in my sig.

Posted Image

You have discovered an Easter egg. Pat yourself on the back.

#10 Shooby Doo

Shooby Doo

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Fathom

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

Works well with my Logitech Dual Action. Thanks a lot for this! One thing: When I nudge a little bit it's OK, but when I push the stick further, especially when I hold it down, I can pretty much control the ball and put it where I want it. Would there be a way to stop the nudge after a bit even if your holding down on the stick?

#11 blur

blur

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,500 posts

• Flag: Croatia

• Favorite Pinball: Amazing Spiderman, Black Hole, Totem

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

hey koadic, great addition to the source

you should put the option to choose nudge x and y axis also

that's the only thing that's hardocded now

#12 Pindreamer

Pindreamer

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Classic Vintage

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

Thanks a lot for this!

However I have an Issue to report: I am unable to configure keys for "Add Credit" and "Add Credit 2". No matter which keys I choose for these, both on my keyboard and gamepad, they are ignored and instead "Add Credit" and "Add Credit 2" always stays tied to keys 3 and 4 on the keyboard only. It's impossible to add coins with the gamepad. Any ideas? rolleyes.gif
Edit: Even in official 9.1.2 my key choice for adding credits is ignored.

Also: I have two analog thumbsticks on my gamepad. I wish to configure "Left Nudge" as right direction on my left thumbstick and "Right Nudge" as left direction on my right thumbstick and "Fwd Nudge" as up on my left thumbstick. How do I do this?

Edited by Pindreamer, 14 April 2012 - 10:37 PM.

#13 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Contributor

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Shooby Doo @ Apr 14 2012, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Works well with my Logitech Dual Action. Thanks a lot for this! One thing: When I nudge a little bit it's OK, but when I push the stick further, especially when I hold it down, I can pretty much control the ball and put it where I want it. Would there be a way to stop the nudge after a bit even if your holding down on the stick?

The table doesn't TILT on you? Usually for me, if I use the nudge too much, or push the stick too far, the table will TILT on me.

QUOTE (blur @ Apr 14 2012, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you mean something like turning off analog nudging, or choosing the axes?

QUOTE (Pindreamer @ Apr 14 2012, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks a lot for this!

However I have an Issue to report: I am unable to configure keys for "Add Credit" and "Add Credit 2". No matter which keys I choose for these, both on my keyboard and gamepad, they are ignored and instead "Add Credit" and "Add Credit 2" always stays tied to keys 3 and 4 on the keyboard only. It's impossible to add coins with the gamepad. Any ideas? rolleyes.gif
Edit: Even in official 9.1.2 my key choice for adding credits is ignored.

Also: I have two analog thumbsticks on my gamepad. I wish to configure "Left Nudge" as right direction on my left thumbstick and "Right Nudge" as left direction on my right thumbstick and "Fwd Nudge" as up on my left thumbstick. How do I do this?

With selecting the 'Add Credit 2' key for the gamepad, I had a typo in the code, I will fix it (thanks for finding it smile.gif); but as for the regular add credit key, it works fine for me on the tables I am testing it on, so I am not sure what issue may be having, especially if the official version is giving you issues.
As far as the nudging goes, it should more or less be set up that way if your left thumbstick uses the X/Y axes. If your talking about more of a digital nudge, you will need to use a different program to assign the analog inputs to a digital keypress

EDIT: First post updated with fixed exe

Edited by koadic, 14 April 2012 - 11:10 PM.

#14 BitPirate

BitPirate

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Creature from the black lagoon

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:10 AM

Works with my logitech. Thank you Koadic!! This is a great addition smile.gif

Edited by BitPirate, 15 April 2012 - 01:10 AM.

My Transformers Build - Here

#15 blur

blur

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,500 posts

• Flag: Croatia

• Favorite Pinball: Amazing Spiderman, Black Hole, Totem

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE (koadic @ Apr 15 2012, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (blur @ Apr 14 2012, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you mean something like turning off analog nudging, or choosing the axes?

actually both, just like you did for all buttons and plunger axis - you can select none or some button/axis
it would be pitty to have this patch inserted in mainstream code without having the same choice for nudge axis
why should it be hardcoded if all else is configurable?
you can also add check box for revert to each axis - just like for plunger

while we are at hardcoded keys:
notorious exit on long press of joy8 from pinball wizard could also be configurable (it crashes uvp) - or uvp crash could be fixed somehow but that's another story (alt-f4 on vp editor closes uvp just fine)
and Esc could be (de)configurable also - it makes a lot of problems in hp (as you can see from my fplaunch manual) - but that's also another story, and another patch

any way - great work, congratulations - i thought generic gamepad support will never be accepted to mainstream

Edited by blur, 15 April 2012 - 07:25 AM.

#16 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Contributor

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (blur @ Apr 15 2012, 02:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
actually both, just like you did for all buttons and plunger axis - you can select none or some button/axis
it would be pitty to have this patch inserted in mainstream code without having the same choice for nudge axis
why should it be hardcoded if all else is configurable?
you can also add check box for revert to each axis - just like for plunger

I'll see what I can do about getting that implemented and working... Depending on the simplicity, I might have a working version in a day or so, but may be longer... Will update first post if so and bump the thread

while we are at hardcoded keys:
notorious exit on long press of joy8 from pinball wizard could also be configurable (it crashes uvp) - or uvp crash could be fixed somehow but that's another story (alt-f4 on vp editor closes uvp just fine)
and Esc could be (de)configurable also - it makes a lot of problems in hp (as you can see from my fplaunch manual) - but that's also another story, and another patch

any way - great work, congratulations - i thought generic gamepad support will never be accepted to mainstream

As far as anything else like that goes, if you have any ideas on what might work better, get with me via pm and I'll see what I might be able to do, no promises though smile.gif

#17 Spellbot5000

Spellbot5000

Hobbyist

• Platinum Supporter
  • 33 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Arabian Nights

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Kodiac, as you mentioned, all the tables I was playing (desktop tables) weren't actually using plunger objects for their launcher. While of course you can add a plunger like you said, is it all possible to alter the other type of launchers on your end so they include a "Filter Mechanical Plunger" component? I don't know if this would even work out, the way the game is set up; just throwing ideas out here. Would certainly make it easier on the less technically inclined if they simply would have to check the tickbox to get it working.

#18 Shooby Doo

Shooby Doo

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (koadic @ Apr 14 2012, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Shooby Doo @ Apr 14 2012, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The table doesn't TILT on you? Usually for me, if I use the nudge too much, or push the stick too far, the table will TILT on me.

It will tilt if I nudge multiple times in succession, but say if I hold the stick down to the right without letting up, it will push the ball to the left side of the table and hold it against the wall until I let off. No matter how long I hold it down, it won't tilt.

#19 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Contributor

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (Spellbot5000 @ Apr 15 2012, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kodiac, as you mentioned, all the tables I was playing (desktop tables) weren't actually using plunger objects for their launcher. While of course you can add a plunger like you said, is it all possible to alter the other type of launchers on your end so they include a "Filter Mechanical Plunger" component? I don't know if this would even work out, the way the game is set up; just throwing ideas out here. Would certainly make it easier on the less technically inclined if they simply would have to check the tickbox to get it working.

There is nothing that I can really do, as it requires a plunger object to utilize an analog plunger, and it is completely up to the table author to include support for such. It is possible to modify the table on your own... Updating Fullscreen Tables to Use the Nanotech Plunger

QUOTE (Shooby Doo @ Apr 15 2012, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It will tilt if I nudge multiple times in succession, but say if I hold the stick down to the right without letting up, it will push the ball to the left side of the table and hold it against the wall until I let off. No matter how long I hold it down, it won't tilt.

What table are you testing this on, as I want to see if it does the same for me... or how bout this, try the table 'Tales of the Arabian Nights 3.2' by JP and tell me if you can get it to tilt by holding the stick down.

Edited by koadic, 15 April 2012 - 12:43 PM.

#20 Shooby Doo

Shooby Doo

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (koadic @ Apr 15 2012, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Shooby Doo @ Apr 15 2012, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What table are you testing this on, as I want to see if it does the same for me... or how bout this, try the table 'Tales of the Arabian Nights 3.2' by JP and tell me if you can get it to tilt by holding the stick down.

I was using UW's Big Bang Bar and Kruge's Embryon mod. I tried it on TOTAN 3.2 and on this it does tilt when I hold it down. But only the front nudge seems to work on that table... and oddly, only when I hammer down the left stick in any direction. Lightly pressing the stick doesn't do anything. The plunger works beautifully.

EDIT: OK, I checked "PBW Accellerometer" in the options and now all the directions work. It tilts when I hold the stick all the way down, but I can lightly press the stick and still push the ball up against the wall without tilting.

Edited by Shooby Doo, 15 April 2012 - 01:57 PM.