Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Fish Tales

Posted 07 June 2023 - 02:38 PM

Hi there

I'm having an issue with Terry Red's awesome PinEvent Tables.

After installing them they instantly worked with DOF. Since then I haven't played them anymore because I'm busy building my cabinet.

I believe that I installed DOF 64bit lately but uninstalled it again after having Problems with it. I don't know why DOF 32bit won't work with PinEvent now anymore.

On all VPX Tables DOF works just fine, so I thought that it has to do something with PinEvent itsself?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

#2 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,823 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Too many to choose...

Contributor

Posted 07 June 2023 - 05:41 PM

Hi there

I'm having an issue with Terry Red's awesome PinEvent Tables.

After installing them they instantly worked with DOF. Since then I haven't played them anymore because I'm busy building my cabinet.

I believe that I installed DOF 64bit lately but uninstalled it again after having Problems with it. I don't know why DOF 32bit won't work with PinEvent now anymore.

On all VPX Tables DOF works just fine, so I thought that it has to do something with PinEvent itsself?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

It has nothing to do with FP / PinEvent.

VP tables use B2S Server with a DOF plugin for DOF, whereas PinEvent FP tables access DOF directly (B2S server is not used at all).

Can't help you with whatever you did with your 64 bit install.... but there is nothing to be done from the FP / BAM / PinEvent end to fix the problem.

Edited by TerryRed, 07 June 2023 - 05:41 PM.

#3 DerHerrscherM

DerHerrscherM

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Fish Tales

Posted 09 June 2023 - 02:25 PM

Thank you for that information. 

I'm going to try a few more things.

Worst case would be a reinstall but I just cant miss these awesome tables without DOF.

Thank you Terry so much for your great work for this great community.

#4 Cadorna

Cadorna

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

• Flag: Argentina

• Favorite Pinball: Too many to choose ...

Posted 05 July 2023 - 11:49 PM

Well, I'm in the same situation. DOF is working fine in VPX both x86 & x64 versions, but not in FP. DOFLinx is working fine if I start it manually. The Jaws - Bigger Boat Edition (1.3 - PinEvent V2, FizX) table gets me constantly an error when launched if I leave the "DOF_enabled  = true" option in the PinEvent_V2_Settings.txt file.

I verified a lot of times that all my .xml and .ini files in the C:\DirectOutput-x86\Config and C:\DirectOutput-x64\Config are pointing to the correct folder:

-directoutputglobal.xml
-DirectOutputTesterSettings.xml
-GlobalConfig.xml
-GlobalConfig_B2Sserver.xml
-DOFLinx.INI

I reinstalled FP a few times and also used the AIO version of @TerryRed with no luck.

It seems that it is looking for a different version of DOF (I'm guessing). I noticed that my x64 DirectOutputComObject.dll has version 3.1.8440.34790 but I'm not sure if it could be related or not.

I'm lost  :think:

jaws-biggerboatedition(1.3-pineventv2,fi

#5 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,823 posts

Contributor

Posted 06 July 2023 - 02:28 AM

Well, I'm in the same situation. DOF is working fine in VPX both x86 & x64 versions, but not in FP. DOFLinx is working fine if I start it manually. The Jaws - Bigger Boat Edition (1.3 - PinEvent V2, FizX) table gets me constantly an error when launched if I leave the "DOF_enabled  = true" option in the PinEvent_V2_Settings.txt file.

I verified a lot of times that all my .xml and .ini files in the C:\DirectOutput-x86\Config and C:\DirectOutput-x64\Config are pointing to the correct folder:

-directoutputglobal.xml
-GlobalConfig.xml
-DOFLinx.INI

I reinstalled FP a few times and also used the AIO version of @TerryRed with no luck.

It seems that it is looking for a different version of DOF (I'm guessing). I noticed that my x64 DirectOutputComObject.dll has version 3.1.8440.34790 but I'm not sure if it could be related or not.

If it worked BEFORE you did the 64 bit update for VPX... then there's your problem.

You won't find the solution with needing to do anything with FP or PinEvent tables, because the problem lies with the VPX 64 bit update and DOF.

I can't help you there as all the 32 bit apps worked with DOF before that all started and it has been causing a LOT of people problems ever since (with FP, FX2/FX3/DOFLinx/Popper.... basically anything that is not VPX).

#6 digitalarts

digitalarts

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Judge Dredd (have the real one); all virtual EM's

Posted 06 July 2023 - 07:25 PM

And of course:
for pinevent V2 and even Terry's pinevent light tables DON'T USE DOFLINX !

#7 Cadorna

Cadorna

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 July 2023 - 08:03 PM

And of course:

I'm not using Doflinx for Pinevent tables. I just mentioned it to be clear that DOF is working fine. 

-directoutputglobal.xml
-GlobalConfig.xml
-DOFLinx.INI

If it worked BEFORE you did the 64 bit update for VPX... then there's your problem.

You won't find the solution with needing to do anything with FP or PinEvent tables, because the problem lies with the VPX 64 bit update and DOF.

I can't help you there as all the 32 bit apps worked with DOF before that all started and it has been causing a LOT of people problems ever since (with FP, FX2/FX3/DOFLinx/Popper.... basically anything that is not VPX).

Thank you Terry. FP was working fine with DOF effects even after upgrading everything to x64, but I had to reinstall Windows 11 and that's when I started having the problem.

Anyway, I'll keep trying to find a solution and will post here any positive results I can come up with.

#8 Cadorna

Cadorna

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 08:03 PM

And of course:

I'm not using Doflinx for Pinevent tables. I just mentioned it to be clear that DOF is working fine. 

-directoutputglobal.xml
-GlobalConfig.xml
-DOFLinx.INI

Thank you Terry. FP was working fine with DOF effects even after upgrading everything to x64, but I had to reinstall Windows 11 and that's when I started having the problem.

Anyway, I'll keep trying to find a solution and will post here any positive results I can come up with.

*** SOLVED ***

The problem seemed to be the double registration of the DirectOutput (by the RegisterDirectOutputComObject.exe), I mean the standard x86 and the x64 one. That creates two registry entries, the 3.1.7698.40088 for x86 and the 3.1.8440.34790 for the x64. So, don't do that (like I did) if you want to continue using DOF effects outside of VPX.

dont_t.jpg

VPX does not care about that because it works following the Plugins path located in the B2SServer (C:\Games\Visual Pinball\B2SServer\Plugins & C:\Games\Visual Pinball\B2SServer\Plugins64 for example in my system) but, other applications as Future Pinball and PinballY look for that information in the Registry and they seem to choose the higher version number.

So the solution implies that you have to take note of the meditation error message and take note of the "Extensions, version=NUMBER" value, in my case it is 3.1.8440.34782 and look up that in the registry for "3.1.8440" (ignore the other information):

registry_t.jpg

Double-click in "CodeBase" and change the path to the DirectOutput x86 version, then close the registry editor and restart the computer.

I hope it can help others.

Edited by Cadorna, 31 July 2023 - 08:04 PM.

#9 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron

Posted 13 September 2023 - 01:40 AM

Hi Cadorna. I was having a similar issue, where DOF wasn't working, however I was not getting any errors at all, just didn't work.  I was curious about your issue and resolution so I went into the registry and followed the same path up to CLSID, then searched for "DirectOutput" which matched the path you had mentioned in your snapshot.  Sure enough the path shown in the registry matched my own except it stopped at the "plugins" folder while the DLL it seeks is in the sub folder "DirectOutput".  So I added that folder to the registry, rebooted and voila!  DOF is now working.

Many thanks for posting your solution.  My issue may have been a bit different but the logic was the same!

#10 illrod3k

illrod3k

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: The Munsters

Posted 21 September 2023 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the troubleshooting advice, was having the same issue, it definitely drove me nuts on what caused the issue , I recently transferred my vpinball folder to another drive and made the mistake of registering DOF64, A HUGE thanks again for sharing this information/solution !!!!

#11 firebrand007

firebrand007

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: Terminator 2

Posted 02 October 2023 - 10:52 AM

Thanks so much, I was really scratching my head around this issue !
Just a precision for any other person concerned : it's worth checking regedit several times, I had to edit the directoutput_x64 folder in 3 different registry keys.

#12 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,823 posts

Contributor

Posted 02 October 2023 - 12:42 PM

And of course:

-directoutputglobal.xml
-GlobalConfig.xml
-DOFLinx.INI

*** SOLVED ***

The problem seemed to be the double registration of the DirectOutput (by the RegisterDirectOutputComObject.exe), I mean the standard x86 and the x64 one. That creates two registry entries, the 3.1.7698.40088 for x86 and the 3.1.8440.34790 for the x64. So, don't do that (like I did) if you want to continue using DOF effects outside of VPX.

dont_t.jpg

VPX does not care about that because it works following the Plugins path located in the B2SServer (C:\Games\Visual Pinball\B2SServer\Plugins & C:\Games\Visual Pinball\B2SServer\Plugins64 for example in my system) but, other applications as Future Pinball and PinballY look for that information in the Registry and they seem to choose the higher version number.

So the solution implies that you have to take note of the meditation error message and take note of the "Extensions, version=NUMBER" value, in my case it is 3.1.8440.34782 and look up that in the registry for "3.1.8440" (ignore the other information):

registry_t.jpg

Double-click in "CodeBase" and change the path to the DirectOutput x86 version, then close the registry editor and restart the computer.

It goes without saying... thank-you for posting this... as its a problem I couldn't help with (since I never had the issue), and many people seem to have had the same issue.

l just want everyone to be able to play all my releases with DOF, and all the new VP 64 bit tables with DOF... and now it seems it's getting to the point where people are making it happen more easily.

I point a lot of people to your response, so its been very helpful.

Edited by TerryRed, 02 October 2023 - 12:42 PM.

#13 ObiLAN

ObiLAN

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Favorite Pinball: FB, FX3 and Vpin

Posted 16 November 2023 - 07:24 PM

DELETED

Edited by ObiLAN, 16 November 2023 - 07:34 PM.

#14 hworths1545

hworths1545

Hobbyist

• Gold Supporter
  • 35 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Firepower, AC/DC, Gorgar, Attack From Mars

Posted 14 December 2023 - 05:23 PM

Can someone explain how to resolve the double registry of DOF for VPX Pinball 10.8

I have VPX 10.7.4 and VPX 10.8 Beta 7 runnning on my system.

Last night, I tried to modify the registry to fix the DOF settings such that only x86 is being used for DOF and not x64.

The reason I was fiddling with the DOF in the registry was to get DOF (solenoids and kickers) working on my pincab for JP's IT Madness Pinball table.

Instead, I messed up my DOF royally to the point where I get perculiar behavior of solenoids and flashers in vpx 10.8 Beta 7 and, also, NO SOUND in 10.8 Beta 7.

The 32 bit and 64 bit versions of VPX 10.7.4 run DOF fine, with solenoids, kickers, and all sounds working.

Please explain more clearly how I resolve this in the registry or whether I need to completely reload DOF?

Do I just need DOF x86?  Please explain where to get this file and how to install.

Thank you!

#15 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,823 posts

Contributor

Posted 14 December 2023 - 08:48 PM

Can someone explain how to resolve the double registry of DOF for VPX Pinball 10.8

I have VPX 10.7.4 and VPX 10.8 Beta 7 runnning on my system.

Last night, I tried to modify the registry to fix the DOF settings such that only x86 is being used for DOF and not x64.

The reason I was fiddling with the DOF in the registry was to get DOF (solenoids and kickers) working on my pincab for JP's IT Madness Pinball table.

Instead, I messed up my DOF royally to the point where I get perculiar behavior of solenoids and flashers in vpx 10.8 Beta 7 and, also, NO SOUND in 10.8 Beta 7.

The 32 bit and 64 bit versions of VPX 10.7.4 run DOF fine, with solenoids, kickers, and all sounds working.

Please explain more clearly how I resolve this in the registry or whether I need to completely reload DOF?

Do I just need DOF x86?  Please explain where to get this file and how to install.

Thank you!

If DOF is working fine for both 32 bit and 64 bit VPX 10.7, and DOF works with Popper and FP PinEvent tables... then your problem isn't DOF. The problem most likely is something within VPX 10.8 beta, or your settings.... could be a known bug.

Edited by TerryRed, 14 December 2023 - 08:51 PM.

#16 hworths1545

hworths1545

Hobbyist

• Gold Supporter
  • 35 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Firepower, AC/DC, Gorgar, Attack From Mars

Posted 14 December 2023 - 11:45 PM

DOF not working in VPX 10.7.4 now either.  I have sound, but no solenoids, kickers, or flipper thumps.

#17 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 15 December 2023 - 11:07 PM

DOF not working in VPX 10.7.4 now either.  I have sound, but no solenoids, kickers, or flipper thumps.

I also had DOF Problems with VPX 10.7.4

#18 jamos

jamos

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Pinball Wizard

Posted 18 December 2023 - 04:25 AM

And of course:

-directoutputglobal.xml
-GlobalConfig.xml
-DOFLinx.INI

*** SOLVED ***

dont_t.jpg

registry_t.jpg

It goes without saying... thank-you for posting this... as its a problem I couldn't help with (since I never had the issue), and many people seem to have had the same issue.

l just want everyone to be able to play all my releases with DOF, and all the new VP 64 bit tables with DOF... and now it seems it's getting to the point where people are making it happen more easily.

I point a lot of people to your response, so its been very helpful.

Yes FYI

never register the 64 bit version of dof you do not have to for vpx. it is a big nono for all other software.

#19 firebrand007

firebrand007

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: Terminator 2

Posted 07 January 2024 - 04:29 PM

Adding a note in case it can help other people out there who have DOF issues on just a few original and EM tables and who have been pulling their hair like me...
Despite applying fix mentioned above, I still had a few original tables and EM tables where my DOF contactors / toys would not work with VPx 10.8 yet would work when opened with old versions (10.7.3)

It's most certainly a consequence of upgrading everything to 64bit and registering directoutputcomobject from the directoutput_x64 folder on top of the x86, which you shouldn't do and which has really weird side effects.
My understanding is that depending on how the "controller" script of a table is written, VPX may be fetching dof settings from registry keys of old VPX versions and ignoring the software settings.

So, on top of fixing the link to the correct folder in regedit, I also looked for the DOF version number and found out I still had 2 versions around : 3.1.7698.40088 and 3.1.8440.34790 .

I replaced all the keys with the latter version number and now it all works again.

#20 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,823 posts

Contributor

Posted 07 January 2024 - 07:40 PM

Adding a note in case it can help other people out there who have DOF issues on just a few original and EM tables and who have been pulling their hair like me...
Despite applying fix mentioned above, I still had a few original tables and EM tables where my DOF contactors / toys would not work with VPx 10.8 yet would work when opened with old versions (10.7.3)

It's most certainly a consequence of upgrading everything to 64bit and registering directoutputcomobject from the directoutput_x64 folder on top of the x86, which you shouldn't do and which has really weird side effects.
My understanding is that depending on how the "controller" script of a table is written, VPX may be fetching dof settings from registry keys of old VPX versions and ignoring the software settings.

So, on top of fixing the link to the correct folder in regedit, I also looked for the DOF version number and found out I still had 2 versions around : 3.1.7698.40088 and 3.1.8440.34790 .

I replaced all the keys with the latter version number and now it all works again.

Yes some people may be using old versions of DOF (32 bit).

I've always installed the latest DOF R3++ from mjr's site. For some people who had problems (while also updating to 64 bit DOF)... installing that version fixed their 32 bit DOF issues.

http://mjrnet.org/pi...ll-updates.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DOF, Future Pinball, PinEvent