Photo
- - - - -

Nvidia Remix, would it be possible to enhance VPX with this?

nvidia remix

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gravy

Gravy

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,082 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Simpsons pinball party

Posted 02 February 2023 - 10:26 AM

Came across Nvidia Remix today, an app designed to make it easier to mod/enhance old DirectX games to include RTX lighting and AI texture enhancement.

Wondering if modding VPX may be a possibility using this?? @Toxie ?

There doesn't seem to be a version that works with openGL yet, but could be a game changer for VPVR if Nvidia releases one.

Also, Nvidia suggests a "fixed function pipeline" is required... does that apply to VPX??

"Not every game can undergo this treatment, but the breadth is pretty wide. The base requirements for a title being compatible with Remix is that it must be a DirectX 8 or 9 title and use a fixed function pipeline. In the Q&A session, Nvidia was asked about 2D titles, and while there may be a couple of exceptions, Remix is generally meant for 3D games, needs 3D APIs, and has to meet those requirements.

Using Remix to create mods requires an RTX GPU, not exclusive to Nvidia's upcoming new GeForce RTX 40 Series, while playing a Remix mod requires, to quote exactly, "any hardware that can run Vulkan ray-traced games." Of course, Nvidia expects the GeForce RTX 40 Series GPUs and DLSS to provide the best experience."

Quoted from https://au.pcmag.com...me-modding-ever

Edited by Gravy, 02 February 2023 - 10:37 AM.

Pinball Addict

#2 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,664 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 02 February 2023 - 10:57 AM

Exactly, the "fixed function pipeline" part is what we left behind with VPX. VP9.9 is still based on it though.

Its also in general not really suited for VP, as its not a standalone game, but rather an engine with individually designed tables.

#3 Gravy

Gravy

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 11:55 AM

Exactly, the "fixed function pipeline" part is what we left behind with VPX. VP9.9 is still based on it though.

Its also in general not really suited for VP, as its not a standalone game, but rather an engine with individually designed tables.

Yeah, was thinking that if it did work then each table would somehow need to be individually modded with it. Although I had thought that perhaps some lighting enhancements might be possible with the base engine? Not gonna fly though it seems.

Maybe an openGL compatible version might be in the works if they get enough requests.

Pinball Addict

#4 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 02:43 PM

Same problem would exist there. The whole deal why this SDK works is that it needs to know exactly what the material and lighting model is.

If its just an artificial shader (like what 99% of the games nowadays use), then it cannot do the GI/RT improvements, as these need to be computed based on the materials and lights in the scene.

#5 Gravy

Gravy

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 09:41 PM

Same problem would exist there. The whole deal why this SDK works is that it needs to know exactly what the material and lighting model is.

If its just an artificial shader (like what 99% of the games nowadays use), then it cannot do the GI/RT improvements, as these need to be computed based on the materials and lights in the scene.

Bummer... thanks for the explanation.

Pinball Addict

#6 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 11:21 AM

Yup, bummer, but to be honest, i don't know how much it would actually provide to VPX anyway. The GI/RT done in the SDK is relatively 'crude' (so what also makes sense for older game titles), so i don't know if it would provide crisp lighting effects like one would expect in pinball machines.

#7 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 03 February 2023 - 11:06 PM

RT could probably cripple performance into the realm of 60 or less fps @4k
depending on how one made their table, maybe less in VR

Not to mention it has to be done on a table by table basis

VPX needs no AI texture enhancement functions, because one can just do that to the table directly

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary