Photo
- - - - -

B2S Server 2.0 pre-release, Call for testers!

B2S B2S Server

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 jarr3

jarr3

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 173 posts

• Flag: Sweden

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 18 January 2023 - 06:18 PM

A new pre-release build is available at https://github.com/v...runs/3950926445 (an account is needed)

The new B2SBackglassServer.dll calls a B2SInit.cmd in the same folder. This B2SInit.cmd calls the new B2SWindowPunch.exe:

Usage: B2SWindowPunch "Destination regex" "Cutter Regex" -> Destination and the cutter window string has to be valid regular expressions

E.g.
Cut holes in the "B2S Backglass Server" and "B2S DMD" forms using "Virtual DMD" and all "PUPSCREEN" forms as two regular expressions:

B2SWindowPunch.exe "^B2S Backglass Server$|^B2S DMD$" "^Virtual DMD$|^PUPSCREEN[0-9]+$" 
If you see the hole in the wrong place, you need to move the wrong window to the new position and restart the table.

There are some tests going on for single screen setups here: vpuniverse but I think it works as well for other setups as well.

Current change-log:

- B2SBackglassServer.dll: Add support for B2SInit.cmd to be called after Backglass is started.
- Add B2SWindowPunch: General window punch routine to cut holes into B2S Backglass Form and make DMD and PuP Windows shine through.

#2 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 18 January 2023 - 07:03 PM

Curious

As i can send form to back and put anything on top of it
what advantage does punching holes in the B2S have?

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#3 Cliffy

Cliffy

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 248 posts

• Favorite Pinball: King of Diamonds

Posted 18 January 2023 - 08:03 PM

It pretty much guarantees the dmd will show on top of a fulldmd frame. Most full dmds work fine as is but there are many that no matter what you did with the forms in b2sserver they just would not stay on top. Jarrs newest version with b2swindow punch fixes all of them now. Thanks jarr, nailbuster and of course herweh

#4 jarr3

jarr3

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 09:46 PM

Curious

As i can send form to back and put anything on top of it

I have not had many problems with DMD's not showing, but since we have 3 different executables competing, which window comes first... there is always a chance something not coming up in the right millisecond.

Having a 2 screen setup I use VPX + B2S even on PuP tables to have it show the (right) grill. And here I had the problem that my grill landed between the layers of PuP.

After some talks to Nailbuster I took his idea of punching holes in the windows. The outcome is B2SWindowPunch, which allows to punch a hole in any window overlapping other windows. I did not even know Windows had features like this...

Edited by jarr3, 18 January 2023 - 09:47 PM.

#5 Tiki

Tiki

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, Tales of Arabian Nights, Creature from the black Lagoon

Posted 19 January 2023 - 12:31 PM

At the End it was a Windows Problem. On my desktop I spend hours to bring some dmds on top. For example: I had 6 or 7 Tables using the exact same settings, but on some b2sDMD windows sometimes the scores went behind.
With one table/backglass/lucky combination I tested 3 Variants of B2Sserver and 4 versions of lucky, at the end I had no luck with it because after a restart of windows every time some of the scores went behind, but the rest worked. (I am on Desktop and when starting a table I have al lot of windows on one screen.)
Version 2.x allows me to see EVERY lucky-dmd, no more troubles. the little guy inside windows, who decides what windows starts first is out of work now, searching for a now job. :tongue3:  Its a great step forward, eliminating a problem so many users had.

I put all together on ONE Screen:
Table, Backglass, B2SDMD, PupPack AND Matrix scores - just to show, whats possible now.

Edited by Tiki, 19 January 2023 - 01:27 PM.

vpforumstiki.jpg

#6 jarr3

jarr3

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 06:57 PM

This is how it looks like on a two screen setup. I personally like it better this way, than the built-in 2 screen setups.

Attached File  PUPwithB2Spunched.png   1.31MB   7 downloads

The grill comes from B2S Server and the Full DMD video is showing through the hole in the middle. Without it, only the text layer can be seen...

Edited by jarr3, 19 January 2023 - 06:59 PM.

#7 Roadblock

Roadblock

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars

Posted 19 January 2023 - 10:02 PM

retracted

Edited by Roadblock, 20 January 2023 - 01:22 AM.

#8 scutters

scutters

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

• Flag: England

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family

Posted 20 January 2023 - 02:39 PM

I'm a 3 screen user, DMD is not a fullDMD and i don't use puppacks much so i doubt there's much for me to test with the new release.

I might be ignorant of something obvious (as usual), but rather than punching holes in forms couldn't the B2S program just allow transparency in the backglass/dmd images so they can come with a predefined 4:1 transparent dmd area or whatever instead of the usual black "place your dmd here" type rectangles? 

(just wondering!)

#9 Tiki

Tiki

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, Tales of Arabian Nights, Creature from the black Lagoon

Posted 20 January 2023 - 04:07 PM

I'm a 3 screen user, DMD is not a fullDMD and i don't use puppacks much so i doubt there's much for me to test with the new release.

I might be ignorant of something obvious (as usual), but rather than punching holes in forms couldn't the B2S program just allow transparency in the backglass/dmd images so they can come with a predefined 4:1 transparent dmd area or whatever instead of the usual black "place your dmd here" type rectangles? 

(just wondering!)

Good Point. This would allow predefinied "holes" for scores or puppack in theory. I would love a slider for Transparency for Backglasses also. With 2.0 you can put your scores or puppack wherever you want, without the need to prepare something, so from user side its very easy to use and so there is no need for transparency any longer.

vpforumstiki.jpg

#10 jarr3

jarr3

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 06:16 PM

(just wondering!)

Yes, you are right. But if you have worked with Windows GUI programming before (which would be cool), it's not always that straightforward, but I am investigating this option. Will keep you posted.

#11 KrakenByte

KrakenByte

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 21 January 2023 - 06:41 AM

After a few hours usin this pre-release version, I'm sad to say that I've lost color capabilities in DMD-Extensions (freezy dmdext-v1.10.2-x86.zip) mixed with 64 colors upgrade (lucky1 dmd-extensions_with_pin2color_plugin.zip) in that table who everybody knows but nobody have (spagb_100).

When I'd back to previous version (B2S Backglass Server v1.4.1) the color returned again. I don't know but, it's like if there's something strange in your neighborhood...

Thanks for your hard work and developement! :otvclap:

Edited by KrakenByte, 21 January 2023 - 06:42 AM.

KrakenByte Kraken

#12 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 07:22 AM

After a few hours usin this pre-release version, I'm sad to say that I've lost color capabilities in DMD-Extensions (freezy dmdext-v1.10.2-x86.zip) mixed with 64 colors upgrade (lucky1 dmd-extensions_with_pin2color_plugin.zip) in that table who everybody knows but nobody have (spagb_100).

When I'd back to previous version (B2S Backglass Server v1.4.1) the color returned again. I don't know but, it's like if there's something strange in your neighborhood...

Thanks for your hard work and developement! :otvclap:

B2S has no direct effect on Freezy's DMDExtensions or color support, cant answer for whatever lucky1 has put together.
unless the color is somehow being filtered out by the hole punch, but you could test that by dragging the DMD elsewhere
but if that is the case, it should happen on all DMDs and not just the DMD of something that you should not even be mentioning here.

VPINSPAG on the other hand isnt supported or entertained here at all, because we like Stern and we dont go steal from them.
which is why we dont have Stern's ghost busters, except JP's tribute Slimer.

So unless you can replicate this in VpinMAME, i dont think Jarr is going to go set up the other to go testing it.

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

#13 jarr3

jarr3

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 10:16 AM

(just wondering!)

After some thoughts, yes you are right, for 3 screen users, you might not need to cut anything. And no one is forcing you. If the B2SInit.cmd is deleted or renamed, there is no difference from before.

But I need to have all users in mind when changing things. What I am doing is giving the community the tools to do what they want and need. I want the community to get increased productivity, by giving them the LEGO stones to build upon.You might have seen what magnificent things comes from Terry and others by using the building blocks available.

When I started B2S Development almost a year ago, I thought a B2S file is used only as backglass and the background is ALWAYS behind the backglass... I was completely wrong... the users take the tools and bend and tweak it to fit their own needs. This of makes it a little harder for me, since I do not know every use-case there is out there. This makes it so important that more users help to test the builds, I cannot test it all on my own.

I believe that the B2SInit.cmd feature can become something similar, it might be used in completely different places, I have not never thought of.

So maybe 3 screen users will use this little feature soon as well?

Have fun!

/Jarr3

#14 scutters

scutters

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 11:08 AM

(just wondering!)

Good Point. This would allow predefinied "holes" for scores or puppack in theory. I would love a slider for Transparency for Backglasses also. With 2.0 you can put your scores or puppack wherever you want, without the need to prepare something, so from user side its very easy to use and so there is no need for transparency any longer.

Fair point, now the leg work has been done there doesn't seem much point in adding B2S transparent regions now - and the punch technique does seem to allow total flexibility to the end user in an easy way

(just wondering!)

After some thoughts, yes you are right, for 3 screen users, you might not need to cut anything. And no one is forcing you. If the B2SInit.cmd is deleted or renamed, there is no difference from before.

But I need to have all users in mind when changing things. What I am doing is giving the community the tools to do what they want and need. I want the community to get increased productivity, by giving them the LEGO stones to build upon.You might have seen what magnificent things comes from Terry and others by using the building blocks available.

When I started B2S Development almost a year ago, I thought a B2S file is used only as backglass and the background is ALWAYS behind the backglass... I was completely wrong... the users take the tools and bend and tweak it to fit their own needs. This of makes it a little harder for me, since I do not know every use-case there is out there. This makes it so important that more users help to test the builds, I cannot test it all on my own.

I believe that the B2SInit.cmd feature can become something similar, it might be used in completely different places, I have not never thought of.

So maybe 3 screen users will use this little feature soon as well?

Have fun!

/Jarr3

You're doing a great job!. Not sure i can think of a scenario yet for the punching on a 3 screen setup like mine, but maybe that'll change when something else comes out. I don't even use freezy's segment displays, i just have B2S on top of everything all the time (as the only other form i have on the backglass is an OBS window which fills the screen but only displays a mirror of the playfield in the left 1/3 with B2S using the other 2/3's). It's all lego like you say, use the bits you want and build it into what you want!

#15 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 08:47 PM

(just wondering!)

Strikes and spares

there is one you could play with, being that it is an odd dual DMD machine
and the display doesnt fit in a standard DMD size unless you smoosh it.

On the transparency thing
unless someone takes it upon themselves to go redo every b2s in existence, having transparency in and of itself would net you 0, since most people arent going to be able to go self edit the existing b2s files.

punching a hole eliminates the need, poof it is transparent regardless of image source.

#16 scutters

scutters

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 10:30 AM

unless someone takes it upon themselves to go redo every b2s in existence, having transparency in and of itself would net you 0, since most people arent going to be able to go self edit the existing b2s files.

punching a hole eliminates the need, poof it is transparent regardless of image source.

Another good point!. I wasn't sure if some B2S files actually already had transparent regions in the images or not, and they just relied on the B2S program filling them in with a black background at run time. I guess not then!.

I'll shuffle off back to my corner now  :lol:

#17 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 08:39 PM

Another good point!. I wasn't sure if some B2S files actually already had transparent regions in the images or not, and they just relied on the B2S program filling them in with a black background at run time. I guess not then!.

after putting an image in, with transparencies
which of course converts to base64
and then extracting said image back out of a b2s
it seems the transparencies were eaten :(

#18 jarr3

jarr3

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 11:03 AM

It isn’t enough to put in a PNG with transparent parts. The executable will have to be updated as well…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 08:03 PM

It isn’t enough to put in a PNG with transparent parts. The executable will have to be updated as well…

I wasnt asking for transparent parts
Was just noting that they dont seem to survive being changed to base64 and back again

#20 jarr3

jarr3

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 08:16 PM

I wasnt asking for transparent parts
Was just noting that they dont seem to survive being changed to base64 and back again

That is what I meant, if you put a PNG file in there I am pretty sure it will come out the same on the other side. Only B2S does not activate any transparency. For that changes are needed.

But there are other more important things right now.
By the way which version do you use?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: B2S, B2S Server