young01cj

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: pinbot

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:40 AM

Couple of weeks ago I installed Pinup popper baller installer.  I have Pinball Fx3 and VPX installed. When I start an FX3 table, everything is shown on the correct monitor.  When I start a VPX table, sometimes the playfield is shown on the backglass monitor and sometimes it does not show at all (I assume it is behind the backglass).  I've been trying to research this for the past week and have not had any luck figuring out what is going on.  

I have a 3 monitor setup with playfield, backglass, and DMD.  In the display settings they are displayed from left to right in that order.  All monitors are 1920x1080.    

Can someone please help me figure out why this is happening?  Is there something that needs to be done in VPX to specify what monitor is what so that each display contains the right part of the table?

I can provide additional info if needed.  Also, I am very new to this so I may need a little hand holding at first.

Thanks.

#2 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,063 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra

Contributor

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:49 AM

Go into VPX video settings and change the monitor/resolution option. Pick the other monitor

#3 NailBuster

NailBuster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: YES

Posted 22 June 2021 - 03:27 PM

can i ask a question,  and not specific to you but in general... i mean it 'nicely' but will probably sound like a arse to some.

There's only one how-to install video on Baller....its about 25 minutes.  and the last 5 mintues covers common things and how to fix, even includes screen issues like this.  And also shows you where on pupwiki to look for answers (common like this for vpx).

Youtube analytics shows like 30% of people stop watching the last 8-10 minutes of the how-to install video.....

so my question, as i see these common question come up so often. Do people just try to install without the instructions/video?  do you just give up on the video once you feel you get the gist of it?  Maybe its a lot of info and you forget some of the topics?

see solution on wiki:  https://www.nailbust...id=emulator_vpx

#4 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,830 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Too many to choose...

Contributor

Posted 22 June 2021 - 04:03 PM

....oh, how I can relate to that. :)

#5 young01cj

young01cj

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

• Favorite Pinball: pinbot

Posted 22 June 2021 - 04:46 PM

That was it.  Such an easy fix.  Thanks.

#6 strells

strells

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 403 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family

Posted 22 June 2021 - 07:41 PM

I've been having this same issue after sleeping and then later waking my PC.  The graphics card seems to see the displays in a different order after wake from sleep.  I started using this and it seems to fix the issue: https://github.com/h...Keeper/releases

#7 gregabram

gregabram

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Favorite Pinball: eight ball

Posted 14 August 2021 - 11:08 PM

I am having a similar issue.  On powerup, Visual Pinball X is reassigning the Displays #s to different screens. One time the Video Graphics may have Display #1 as the correct display for the playfield, next time I powerup it may have Display #1 as the Backglass.  I can reselect the playfield screen and reset the Backglass but the next powerup could change it again.  Note that the Windows screen numbers are staying the same.  Any ideas?  

#8 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 15 August 2021 - 01:11 AM

I am having a similar issue.  On powerup, Visual Pinball X is reassigning the Displays #s to different screens. One time the Video Graphics may have Display #1 as the correct display for the playfield, next time I powerup it may have Display #1 as the Backglass.  I can reselect the playfield screen and reset the Backglass but the next powerup could change it again.  Note that the Windows screen numbers are staying the same.  Any ideas?  

1.     Press Windows + R
  2.     Type regedit and hit ENTER.
  3.     If a message pops up saying "do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device" click YES.
  4.     A window called "Registry Editor" should show.
  5.     Locate this three registry keys:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Connectivity
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\ScaleFactors
  6.     After finding them right click on each folder and select delete than yes.

Now reboot, then readjust monitor positions

and do not unplug replug any monitors or you have to most likely repeat that again

Also, make sure monitors are powered on before pc is powered on

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#9 gregabram

gregabram

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Favorite Pinball: eight ball

Posted 15 August 2021 - 07:56 PM

Seems to have done the trick - thx for the feedback.  Any idea why it uses windows info prior to starting the Visual Pinball App??

#10 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 08:15 PM

Seems to have done the trick - thx for the feedback.  Any idea why it uses windows info prior to starting the Visual Pinball App??

Every time a monitor is unplugged and plugged back in, there is a good chance that windows will instead of putting back the same monitor, will make a new reg entry for that monitor.

And then if you boot the PC with a monitor unplugged, windows makes new entries for that situation

then you eventually have these entries that describe the same exact device, in multiple situations

And only windows really knows which damned situation is the correct one, VPX is looking at the entries trying to figure out where it should display at and finds 10 different answers on where monitor 1 sits

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

#11 freebird1963

freebird1963

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Jungle Queen

Posted 02 July 2022 - 01:04 AM

Weisshund Thanks man that worked for me. I updated my video card and did everything I could think of and find on the net. Nothing was working till I found your solution. Thanks.

Got one issue maybe your wisdom can help me fix. When I press F1 and enable External DMD they always go to the playfield not my DMD. I move them and still come back on the playfield.

I have run the PUP display config. I have double checked screenres.txt. For the life of my I can't figure out why. 

Thanks

Semper Fi Devil Dog !

#12 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 02:02 AM

Weisshund Thanks man that worked for me. I updated my video card and did everything I could think of and find on the net. Nothing was working till I found your solution. Thanks.

Got one issue maybe your wisdom can help me fix. When I press F1 and enable External DMD they always go to the playfield not my DMD. I move them and still come back on the playfield.

I have run the PUP display config. I have double checked screenres.txt. For the life of my I can't figure out why. 

Thanks

make sure you also check cabmode

a better display perhaps though, for DMD ROMs is to check use external DLL instead of show vmp dmd

freezys will let you drag the dmd around, customize its style even and you can also right click and pick save position globally or save for gamename

#13 tytler32u

tytler32u

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Deadpool

Posted 10 December 2022 - 08:17 PM

I have done everything on this list and it still comes up that my playfield is on the backglass and vice versa. Not sure what to do next.

#14 garnel

garnel

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 257 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 10 December 2022 - 09:58 PM

Even though I've made no changes to VPX for a while in my three monitor system, Windows 10 often scrambles the monitor numbers.  It happens often and randomly. One cause is not powering up the three displays in the proper order.  No matter - here's what I do to recover.

1. Load VPX, then close the "Table Menu".

2. Click on "Preferences"

3. Select "Video/Graphics Options"

4. Click the Down Arrow and a list of your three displays will appear. The wrong one will have been selected by VPX because of the Windows number scramble.

5. Select the correct display for your playfield - all three of the monitors in my system are different resolutions so it's easy to find and reselect the playfield.

6. Load B2S_SetUp.exe

7. Try a different display # in the Backglass Display Field if the backglass doesn't appear, or if it's on the wrong display. Try different one of the other display #'s to find the correct one. This usually gets scrambled by windows as well.

Powering on all three displays and making sure they are powered with the correct input on each display is selected prior to powering on your PC will solve some of the issues, but they will still occur - especially after a windows update, or sometimes just randomly.

All the best,

garnel

Edited by garnel, 10 December 2022 - 09:59 PM.

#15 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 03:54 AM

clear possibly conflicting monitor ideas from windows

save to bat file, run as admin

reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Connectivity
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\ScaleFactors
pause
shutdown /r /t 5

#16 garnel

garnel

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 257 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 12 December 2022 - 09:11 PM

clear possibly conflicting monitor ideas from windows

save to bat file, run as admin

reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Connectivity
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\ScaleFactors
pause
shutdown /r /t 5

Thank you! Since using your script, then setting up the displays again, my displays have been staying put (so far).

#17 motumbo

motumbo

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• Flag: Argentina

• Favorite Pinball: AF

Posted 27 January 2023 - 04:15 AM

1.     Press Windows + R
  2.     Type regedit and hit ENTER.
  3.     If a message pops up saying "do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device" click YES.
  4.     A window called "Registry Editor" should show.
  5.     Locate this three registry keys:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Connectivity
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\ScaleFactors
  6.     After finding them right click on each folder and select delete than yes.

Now reboot, then readjust monitor positions

and do not unplug replug any monitors or you have to most likely repeat that again

Also, make sure monitors are powered on before pc is powered on

Thank you wiesshund, this solve my problem.....I just had to reconfigure my playfield placing it in front of the configuration and changing the backglass configuration ... Turn off my cab several times and worked perfect!!

Even though I've made no changes to VPX for a while in my three monitor system, Windows 10 often scrambles the monitor numbers.  It happens often and randomly. One cause is not powering up the three displays in the proper order.  No matter - here's what I do to recover.

1. Load VPX, then close the "Table Menu".

2. Click on "Preferences"

3. Select "Video/Graphics Options"

4. Click the Down Arrow and a list of your three displays will appear. The wrong one will have been selected by VPX because of the Windows number scramble.

5. Select the correct display for your playfield - all three of the monitors in my system are different resolutions so it's easy to find and reselect the playfield.

6. Load B2S_SetUp.exe

7. Try a different display # in the Backglass Display Field if the backglass doesn't appear, or if it's on the wrong display. Try different one of the other display #'s to find the correct one. This usually gets scrambled by windows as well.

Powering on all three displays and making sure they are powered with the correct input on each display is selected prior to powering on your PC will solve some of the issues, but they will still occur - especially after a windows update, or sometimes just randomly.

All the best,

garnel

Hello gamel, I would add step 8 with the option to register again the Backglass Server in admin mode in b2sbackglassservergistrapp.exe

Regards