#1 Torre

Torre

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 39 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Space Invaders

Posted 07 October 2018 - 06:20 PM

Major problems with UltraDMD and I’m desperate.

I have read everything I can on this topic on this forum and the other one but I am still not successful.

My current state is due to my complete ignorance and foolish mistakes I’m afraid since UltraDMD was (mostly) working flawlessly until I adjusted some things.

For reference, I have the following 5 tables loaded which all use UltraDMD:

1. America’s Most Haunted – launched & played perfectly from VP and/or PinballX
  2. Diablo – Would only launch if I manually “clicked” on the table but then played perfectly from VP and/or PinballX
  3. Ghostbusters Slimer – launched & played perfectly from VP and/or PinballX
  4. Kiss 2015 - Would only launch if I manually “clicked” on the table but then played perfectly from VP and/or PinballX
  5. Stranger Things SE with Pinup Player – launched & played perfectly from VP and/or PinballX

My timeline of events which begun 2 days ago.

Part 1: The 5 tables all worked as stated above except the UltraDMD did not display inside the PinDMD3. I assumed there was an issue so I reinstalled UltraDMD and I did not do an uninstall of the existing version first. When I reinstalled the software it went into the ProgramsFilesx86 folder. I opened the UltraDMD.exe file and set it up and selected it to hide virtual DMD. It worked. I now had the UltraDMD displaying on my pindmd3. I tested all the tables  and now my favorite table “Stranger Things” did not work. The others did work.

Part 2: I researched as much as I could on the internet. Discovered the UltraDMD was supposed to install in Visual Pinball/XDMD where it already existed. So I uninstalled the version from the Program Files and then reinstalled overtop of the files in the Visual Pinball/XDMD file. Everything seemed to work now with two major exceptions. The virtual DMD is now showing up and cannot be clicked on to select “hide”. Also I cannot open the UltraDMD.exe file will not open at all when double clicked. Lastley, Stranger Things would launch and play but only once and only if it was the first UltraDMD table I played. Once I played an UltraDMD table it seemed to keep UDMD open where it could not re-launch for the next table. If I re-boot the PC then I can play an UltraDMD  table again. But just once. BTW, I am doing all of this directly through VPX and not through my front end software.

Part 3: After more research I decide to try Thalamus’ files and guidance he discussed in this thread  https://www.vpforums...ic=40424&page=2 This did not make a difference so I decided to delete ALL the files in the XDMD folder and reload the UltraDMD software into that folder. Big mistake! This rendered the UltraDMD completely inoperable. Every table requiring it comes up with a script error stating the UltraDMD cannot be found.

Part 4: This morning as an act of desperation, I uninstalled Visual Pinball completely and then re-loaded it from scratch. None of my UltraDMD tables play and still show the script error. And I still cannot double click the UltraDMD.exe file.

So here I am at a complete loss.

#2 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron

Posted 07 October 2018 - 06:47 PM

reinstall from the latest visual pinball all-in-one installer 10.5 (ultradmd gets installed in the right spot along with VP/vpM)

#3 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:11 PM

For Stranger Things -- You have to turn UltraDMD on in the table scrip

-

What I would do is uninstall the UltraDMD from windows and try it again, but you may even have to Go to the registry and delete any entries for UltraDMD

This is UltraDMD I use..

It puts on an UltraDMD folder Not an XDMD folder....

I have it install in the Visual Pinball/UltraDMD   folder
After I installed, I removed my XDMD folder...

https://ultradmd.wor...s.com/download/

#4 Torre

Torre

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:21 PM

reinstall from the latest visual pinball all-in-one installer 10.5 (ultradmd gets installed in the right spot along with VP/vpM)

I did this morning.

My part No. 4.

Did not work.

For Stranger Things -- You have to turn UltraDMD on in the table scrip

-

What I would do is uninstall the UltraDMD from windows and try it again, but you may even have to Go to the registry and delete any entries for UltraDMD

This is UltraDMD I use..

It puts on an UltraDMD folder Not an XDMD folder....

I have it install in the Visual Pinball/UltraDMD   folder
After I installed, I removed my XDMD folder...

https://ultradmd.wor...s.com/download/

Thanks for the replies.

The link you provide is the same one I downloaded from and it defaults to the ProgramFilesx86 folder. I changed the path to the XDMD folder as described in my Part no. 3 of my original post.

I do highly suspect you are correct that I must also Go to the registry and delete any entries for UltraDMD but I am clueless how to do that!

This could be the only explanation for why it behaves exactly the same way no matter how many times I remove and reload the software. I am completely shutting down my PC each time also to be sure it can reload.

No success.

#5 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: GOT, Alien Star, LOTR, TOM

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:22 PM

I agree with outhere. You problem now is most probably old registry settings pointing at old versions. This guide is about deleting a rom. But, it is basically the same thing you need to do. You just need not to go so far down in the registry.

https://vpinball.com...ble-to-default/

Right under software ( from the picture ) you should find UltraDMD and that is what you want to delete. After, I would suggest running the on-in-all installer. But, that is of course all up to you.

Please note that dmddevice used to need hacks and very specific versions placed into different locations in order to work as a replacement in PBX and UltradMD on the  pindmd3. tt is not like that anymore.

Edited by Thalamus, 07 October 2018 - 09:23 PM.

From now on. I won't help anyone here at VPF. Please ask Noah why that is.

#6 Torre

Torre

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:43 PM

Thanks again

OK so I uninstalled both UltraDMD and Visual pinball from my PC.

I then used regedit and deleted those two items from the software section then restarted my PC.

Then I reinstalled the all-in-one installer which contained VPX5 dated 7/29/18.

I am now starting from scratch as all of my backglasses, DMD color settings and volume settings have defaulted back to original so I have 130 tables to go back through. Urgh.

And... UltraDMD cannot be found!

It shows up in the XDMD folder so why? And I cannot open it from the exe file like before.

Do I need to reinstall the actual UltraDMD app? If so, where do I install it to?

Thank you all for your help!

#7 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 11:13 PM

Hmm. I actually didn't say you needed to uninstall visual pinball. I should probably been more clear about that. I didn't know that uninstalling VP cleans the registry. If I knew I would have told you to make a registry backup of the "visual pinball" hive. That is actually something you should do from time to time to prevent coming in the situation you now are in. A registry backup is all that is needed to get back to your "previous setup", if you totally wipe the machine and install VP to the exact same path next time around.

Anyway. So, no UltraDMD. That is not a good sign. If you do the same as before. Open the registry and go to ultraDMD. Under there you see paths and options. Does those makes sense to where it is currently installed ?

Second. Open up a cmd prompt as administrator. Go to your VP/xdmd folder and run ultradmd.exe /i

What happens ?

What if you run ultradmd.exe /c ?

#8 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 11:23 PM

(I didn't know that uninstalling VP cleans the registry)  I was wondering the same thing...

-

More ideals

Uninstall ultradmd

Go into the registry At the top click edit, go to fine put in ultradmd and hit fine next and everything that comes up delete, Check the registry twice

#9 Torre

Torre

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 12:49 AM

Thanks again guys. I truly appreciate your time.

I actually manually deleted the registry files for Visual Pinball after I uninstalled it so I would have a fresh/new install.

I did save the old registry to a thumb drive.

I will try those last two ideas and see what happens and let you know.

So does this mean I should NOT have to install UltraDMD separately? It should have been installed in the XDMD folder with the VPX5 installer, correct?

#10 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 12:54 AM

I'm pretty sure the ultradmd installer from the ultradmd website has  newer files, that's what I have everything works fine

-

Try Thalamus stuff 1st

Edited by Outhere, 08 October 2018 - 12:56 AM.

#11 Torre

Torre

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 12:49 PM

Hmm. I actually didn't say you needed to uninstall visual pinball. I should probably been more clear about that. I didn't know that uninstalling VP cleans the registry. If I knew I would have told you to make a registry backup of the "visual pinball" hive. That is actually something you should do from time to time to prevent coming in the situation you now are in. A registry backup is all that is needed to get back to your "previous setup", if you totally wipe the machine and install VP to the exact same path next time around.

Anyway. So, no UltraDMD. That is not a good sign. If you do the same as before. Open the registry and go to ultraDMD. Under there you see paths and options. Does those makes sense to where it is currently installed ?

Second. Open up a cmd prompt as administrator. Go to your VP/xdmd folder and run ultradmd.exe /i

What happens ?

What if you run ultradmd.exe /c ?

This morning I checked the following:

Registry files looked OK I think but not sure what I'm looking for. hideVDMD was set to False so I should see it.

Also, using the command promp, ultradmd.exe /i results in a split second flash of something but then nothing. ultradmd.exe /c will open it up and it displays on my pindmd3 also. I can see the Hide VDMD is not checked. If I click on OK, it disappears. I saw there was something in the error log so I cleared the log.

I can now open the exe file from the XDMD folder and it displays on my pindmd. So it looks like that issue is resolved?

I then tried 2 UltraDMD tables which have always been trouble free for me. AMH and JP's Ghostbusters. Neither would open with a script error stating UltraDMD not found.

I rebooted and the tables do not open. I can now click on the exe file and it opens as it should. I tried leaving it open to see if I could then launch one of those tables and it would not. It seems like Visual Pinball is not finding/opening ultradmd. Could there be a missing file I need to look for?

Thanks

#12 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:32 PM

Hmm. I'm not sure why this happens now. But, at this point it might be a good idea to run the installer that is mentioned above.
What you see in registry is what we wanted. So that at least sound correct. I bet you now know how you can change it from hidden to unhidden without the GUI ?
Always nice to know a bit about registry ;)

I would think that UltraDMD was registered at this point, but, looks like it is not.

Just make sure you install it to the actual folder where it is now located ... VP\XDMD.
I find it very odd - if that doesn't work. I'm guessing you haven't put that much work into your installation yet. So, you could try to run the
one-in-all once more. This time. Let everything be. Just overwrite to your old location.

Edited by Thalamus, 08 October 2018 - 01:33 PM.

#13 Torre

Torre

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the response.

When you say run the installer again, do you mean the VPX5 all in one installer or just the ultradmd installer?

I have many hours investing in setting up these tables already with adjusting custom DMD color, volumes, table geometry, etc. for 130 tables but it is what it is.

As stated, it's my fault because I could't  leave well enough alone!

Everything worked 3 days ago albeit the ultradmd would not display on the pindmd3 so I had to use the virtualDMD on the backglass.

If only I could get back to that state again I would be thrilled!

I'm pretty sure the ultradmd installer from the ultradmd website has  newer files, that's what I have everything works fine

-

Try Thalamus stuff 1st

If I try running just the ultradmd installer should I just put it in the VP/XDMD folder on top of what's already in there?

I saw another post where someone stated they created a new folder in VP called "UltraDMD" and loaded it there and then deleted the XDMD folder altogether. Would that create problems with VP not being able to find the software?

Thanks again.

BTW, I forgot I have VPX version 4 on an old laptop running Windows7.

I decided to load these UltraDMD tables on my laptop and they all play perfectly.

Of course it's in desktop mode and with virtualDMD.

I looked at the XDMD folder on my laptop and the files are the identical files as the VPX5 version in my cabinet. The version on my laptop has been there for almost a year but I guess it's the same ultraDMD software?

#14 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:55 PM

First try the ultradmd installer. If it works to right click the *.msi and choose run as administator, then pick that. If not, then ok. Run it anyway. Make sure that the destination is to where the VP installer put it. Eg. c:\visual_pinball\xdmd. Remember to cross your fingers while running ;)

I say use the same folder. Because that is where you started messing up last time.

If there is no change. Than it is more like a desperation attempt that I say to run the one in all installer - again, making sure you install to the same location as before. It is very important that you keep the same paths on both tasks because we really are trying to get both programs to see each other.

As I said. I would expect this to be resolved already by this point.

#15 Torre

Torre

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:27 PM

Unfortunately neither worked.

So now time for some desperation attempts I guess.

#16 Torre

Torre

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:05 AM

I am going to remove the software and start over again.

Incidentally, when I go to uninstall the UltraDMD app, my PC tells me it is version 1.0.0.

I thought there were later versions than that?

#17 Torre

Torre

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:37 AM

Update.

I said in my previous post, "Everything worked 3 days ago albeit the ultradmd would not display on the pindmd3 so I had to use the virtualDMD on the backglass.

If only I could get back to that state again I would be thrilled!"

Well my prayers have been answered. Everything is back working including Stranger Things w/ Pinup Player. Still no UltraDMD displaying on the pindmd3 but I am breathing a sigh of relief. So after uninstalling and reinstalling VPX5 and UltraDMD it still didn't work. So I decided to go ahead and install the UltraDMD installer into it's own folder NOT the XDMD folder. I created a new folder in Visual Pinball and installed it there. And that's all it took. It all works again. Incidentally, there are files in the UltraDMD install that are not included in the XDMD folder as part of the all-in-one installer. The XDMD does not contain the files Microsoft.DirectX.DirectDraw.dll nor Microsoft.DirectX.dll.

Now after I let the dust settle I'll try and figure out how to get the UltraDMD to display on the pindmd. It displays there perfectly fine when I launch the exe file but not when I open a table so there must be some lack of communication between VPX and the UltraDMD. I'm sure there is a misplaced or missing file somewhere.

Thanks again.

#18 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:46 PM

If you have freezy dmddevice installed and working in vpinmame. Make a copy of that and the corresponding *.ini file. Drop them into your UltraDMD folder.

#19 Torre

Torre

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:16 AM

If you have freezy dmddevice installed and working in vpinmame. Make a copy of that and the corresponding *.ini file. Drop them into your UltraDMD folder.

I'm not sure if I have that file or not. Was it part of the PinUp player download?

Is it simply the dmdext file? The dmddevice.dll?

I'm not sure which files you mean?

Thanks

Edited by Torre, 10 October 2018 - 02:18 AM.

#20 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:18 AM

dmddevice.dll and corresponding dmddevice.ini from dmdext - yes. dmddevice.ini needs to be edited so it only starts pindmd3 and sets correct com port. Disable virtual as well. Only those two files from dmdext.

Edited by Thalamus, 10 October 2018 - 04:20 AM.