Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

Using 3rd screen in B2S for graphics


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gromit21

Gromit21

    Hobbyist

  • Silver Supporter
  • 39 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Fun House

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:15 AM

I have a 4 screen setup and would like to use the 3rd screen (when it's blank) to show an image related to the table. The problem I've run into is the B2S that use the backglass to show player's scores, but also displays this info in the 3rd "DMD" screen. You can hide the redundant DMD area by right-clicking the backglass and hiding it, but it won't show the graphic image I've inserted into the DMD area via the Backglass Desiner. It's either the duped scores or nothing.....

 

Is there a way to set the backglass to show the graphic instead of displaying scores?



#2 lizard

lizard

    Enthusiast

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 318 posts
  • Location:Australia

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Kiss

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:37 AM

Look for hidden=0 in the table init part of the script and change it to 1 as pinmame will show above the graphic. Or if it is not there add it.



#3 Gromit21

Gromit21

    Hobbyist

  • Silver Supporter
  • 39 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Fun House

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:34 PM

That's not the problem... the backglass displays fine. It's only when the table also shows the LED scores in the DMD area. I use the B2S Backglass designer to insert a graphic in the backglass to show when the DMD area is blank or shows an unneeded duplicate set of scores (they're already on the main backglass). I've tried all the settings and it's either shows the digits in the DMD area or nothing. I need a way to force the graphic to show. It doesn't happen on all the tables, just ones like El Dorado and Road Kings....



#4 Gromit21

Gromit21

    Hobbyist

  • Silver Supporter
  • 39 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Fun House

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:56 PM

Another question for you backglass gurus... When I add the graphic and try to save the project, an error pops up: "The given key was not present in the dictionary". What does this mean? It's only happened a few times, but I didn't change anything except for adding a DMD graphic.



#5 lizard

lizard

    Enthusiast

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 318 posts
  • Location:Australia

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Kiss

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:09 AM

Its when the table shows the led scores in the dmd area as well as the backglass that you need to set hidden to 1 to not show the pinmame window in the dmd area, Did you try it?  

The other thing i can think of is when in the designer there is a setting in the settings that allows you to set which screen the dmd shows on, or maybe it is related to you having four screens.

I run a graphic on all my tables that have the displays on the backglass if you can link to which table and backglass you are trying i can take a look.

Dropbox link to the ones i use for you to try.https://www.dropbox....m20uW612Ya?dl=0

 

Not sure about that error but i have had strange things happen when i set the grill height so now i just don,t set it. maybe it is not showing because of the grill height if you have set it. 


Edited by lizard, 05 February 2017 - 12:16 AM.


#6 Gromit21

Gromit21

    Hobbyist

  • Silver Supporter
  • 39 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Fun House

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:48 AM

Thanks for the help Lizard... I did set hidden = 1. I assume this is the same as setting DMD to hidden when right-clickiing the backglass. It does hide the pinmame DMD, but also the graphic. If you set the area to "B2S DMD on backglass or DMD" in B2S Designer, it will show the graphic, but for some reason it stretches the graphic image. My DMD area is 1680x420 and the same size as my graphic. For Road Kings I had to shrink the graphic to 1120x420 to fit. Not 100% but certainly good enough for me, as it does work.

 

However, some other tables won't show the DMD graphic no matter what setting is used. It's either the LED scores or a blank screen (and I hate not using any unused screen space). I'll go back and see which tables are doing and I can DropBox one of them to show you.

 

As for the error, I don't set anything in the backglass EXCEPT add a graphic to the DMD area. That's why the error is puzzling. It occurs in El Dorado, DedSec, Dogies and Bandwagon among others.



#7 lizard

lizard

    Enthusiast

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 318 posts
  • Location:Australia

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Kiss

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:04 AM

Hidden =1 in the script is for the pinmame (program)window (the duplicate scores you see) DMD hidden when you right click the backglass is a different setting it will hide the backglass dmd from the b2s program(the graphic you are trying to see).  For the stretching you have to play around with the settings and offset in the visual pinball tables folder there is an exe named b2s_setup. When right clicking the backglass i have b2s dmd set to visible and the grill and dmd set to standard.



#8 Gromit21

Gromit21

    Hobbyist

  • Silver Supporter
  • 39 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Fun House

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for the explanation of the hidden switch. I understand that a bit better. I do get 2 errors that you might have an idea of how to correct.

 

1) 'The given key was not present in the dictionary. Do you have selected valid reels or LEDs for each score display?'

 

2) Error during save. 'You might need to update the B2S Designer to a newer version.'

 

I am running version 1.2. I notice on Sound Forge, Toxie is doing something to the B2S Designer as late as last December. Is there a newer version (maybe Beta)?

 

I also do nothing to each backglass except to add a graphic, so I'm not changing/deleting any key, reel or LED.... 



#9 lizard

lizard

    Enthusiast

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 318 posts
  • Location:Australia

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Kiss

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:29 PM

I think i remember needing to start with version 1 then update to 1.2 as some files from 1 are needed. If you just went straight to 1.2 that might be the problem.

#10 Gromit21

Gromit21

    Hobbyist

  • Silver Supporter
  • 39 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Fun House

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:00 AM

Thanks, I'll try that. So far I've had a couple backglass' ask for a newer version. I've managed to get the rest of them working. I still get the 'key in dictionary' error, but the backglass still appears to save and work fine.

 

Thanks again for your help, Lizard!