Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

A Couple of Questions From A Newb


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DaiShan

DaiShan

    Hobbyist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: High Speed

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

Hi all,

 

I'm familiar with running MAME but doing Visual Pinball has got me stumped in a couple of areas....

 

1) How do you know what resolution the table supports? For example I ran "Twilight Zone - Megapin - V1.3 1.3.0" in the native resolution of my 40" TV (1920x1080) but the background graphic stretched horizontally to the point where it just looked like colored lines. I dropped it to 1024x768 and it worked. Now when I tried "Getaway: High Speed II v1.0.3 VP9 1.0.3" at 1920x1080, the background looked fine. Trying to figure out how I know which game can go big and which can't.

 

Also, can individual games be set to different resolutions? I only see one master setting in Visual Pinball

 

2) Speaking of Getaway: High Speed II, everything seems to work right EXCEPT the back display. In the screenshot it looks like a dashboard with a built-in LED display that says "Williams". That rectangle is just colored lines for me. I assume I need something more than the table and ROMs....and I put every Getaway: High Speed II ROM into the Tables directory that I could find....but I don't know what else it could be.

 

Thanks for all of the help



#2 kiwi

kiwi

    Pinball Fan

  • VIP
  • 2,690 posts

  • Flag: Italy

  • Favorite Pinball: Star Trek 25th Anniversary



Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

1) To adapt the scale of the desktop tables without changing the resolution , must change the X Scale in the Backdrop, VP is made for screens 4/3.


Examples

This is for screens 4/3, the scale x and y are equal
X Scale = 1
Y Scale = 1

For screens 16/9, multiply the X Scale for 0.75
X Scale = 0.75
Y Scale = 1

XY Rotation = 360

For screens 16/10 just multiply the X Scale for 0.83
X Scale = 0.83
Y Scale = 1

XY Rotation = 360

The scale works with a XY Rotation of 360 degrees.

 

2) A screen shot of the table to understand what you mean.

 

Max


Edited by kiwi, 16 February 2013 - 02:12 PM.


#3 DaiShan

DaiShan

    Hobbyist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: High Speed

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

1) To adapt the scale of the desktop tables without changing the resolution , must change the X Scale in the Backdrop, VP is made for screens 4/3.


Examples

This is for screens 4/3, the scale x and y are equal
X Scale = 1
Y Scale = 1

For screens 16/9, multiply the X Scale for 0.75
X Scale = 0.75
Y Scale = 1

XY Rotation = 360

For screens 16/10 just multiply the X Scale for 0.83
X Scale = 0.83
Y Scale = 1

XY Rotation = 360

The scale works with a XY Rotation of 360 degrees.

 

2) A screen shot of the table to understand what you mean.

 

Max

 

OMG!!! You just blew my mind! Yesss this makes so much sense now. I just thought the tables were made that way...looking "wide" or "fat"....to fill widescreen displays. Knowing they were pretty much all designed for 4:3, that conversion is a god send!!

 

I just tested it on Star Wars from Data East....so much nicer to play now!!! :D

 

Now I have to load up each table 1 by 1 in VP and see if the X and Y Scales are equal. If so, make the calculation and the change. *whew* More work...but a definite payoff. :)

 

As for the Getaway problem....thanks for the offer to help but never mind on that. I have since gotten ride of the table...wasn't a big fan. But I think at the time I didnt realize I could move the data display with my mouse. So if I doubled it and then dragged it over that box where it should have been. It probably would've been just fine.



#4 Jose Sinclair

Jose Sinclair

    Neophyte

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Stargod, Paragon, Getaway HS2, Roadshow

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

wow - UNREAL

We have to whip out a calculator in order to set a table's resolution properly??

 

THis is ONE creepily difficult game to set up right..

 

I would NOT hire these developers to do ANYTHING professional.. they are like the first shareware creators in the 80's.. their real jobs must be selling cars, laying carpet, digging ditches..

 

sorry, but I was a pro developer for 26 yrs, and THIS is not a professional program by any means..

"that's just my opinion, I could be wrong" -- but I'm seeing the same complaints all over the internet..

 

SOMEONE WITH SOME DEVELOPER SKILLS PLEASE CREATE A WORKING INSTALL PGM FOR THIS THAT ALSO DOES THE RIGHT PATHS AND VERSIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

--- JOSE --- who worked on software (Nielsen ratings and followup invoice audit for major ad buys) that ROCKET SCIENTISTS could not handle and they quit and went back to Patriot Missle guidance systems, which they said was much easier..

 

PINBALL is not rocket science nor accounting... this should be easy stuff



#5 marauder

marauder

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Location:Pittsburgh, PA

  • Flag: Portugal

  • Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, The Addams Family, Last Action Hero, Black Knight 2000

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:08 PM

I'm sure the community would be more than happy if you could contribute with your mad programming skillz to improve the quality of the software and the installer.



#6 JAM0

JAM0

    Pinball Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Location:Spain

  • Flag: Spain

  • Favorite Pinball: Fathom, Elvira

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

wow - UNREAL

We have to whip out a calculator in order to set a table's resolution properly??

 

THis is ONE creepily difficult game to set up right..

 

I would NOT hire these developers to do ANYTHING professional.. they are like the first shareware creators in the 80's.. their real jobs must be selling cars, laying carpet, digging ditches..

 

sorry, but I was a pro developer for 26 yrs, and THIS is not a professional program by any means..

"that's just my opinion, I could be wrong" -- but I'm seeing the same complaints all over the internet..

 

SOMEONE WITH SOME DEVELOPER SKILLS PLEASE CREATE A WORKING INSTALL PGM FOR THIS THAT ALSO DOES THE RIGHT PATHS AND VERSIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

--- JOSE --- who worked on software (Nielsen ratings and followup invoice audit for major ad buys) that ROCKET SCIENTISTS could not handle and they quit and went back to Patriot Missle guidance systems, which they said was much easier..

 

PINBALL is not rocket science nor accounting... this should be easy stuff

You were a pro developer for 26 years and you can't install visual pinball. You are right it is not rocket science if you follow the well-written instruction guide to the letter, I am sure you will get it going with your experience. I wish you luck.



#7 faralos

faralos

    VPF Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts
  • Location:Eastern Pa,USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Flash (Williams) 1979, Flash2 Updated




  • Trophies:

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

are you always an asshole or just today?

please try to stop bashing the dev. team

 they do their best and it all works if you install it correctly

and you gotta' remember this is an unpaid hobby

we don't have to help anyone but we do to keep pinball alive

 but not if you are always rude to everyone

due to you not being able to figure out how to install a program

and if you look at  the table posts they do say what version they are

 whether they are made for 4:3 monitors or WS (widescreen)

 or  FS (full screen for cabs)

so no calculator is ever needed


"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
----Steve Jobs


#8 chas

chas

    Pinball Fan

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: i played Timezone, quickdraw, triple action, frontier and a few more

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:31 AM

jose #4........slow down,,,,there is a learning curve for awhile......most newbee errors are pinmame paths and unzipping ROMS in the ROM folder.....

try reinstalling the pinmame paths from the pinmame "setup" in Cdrive program files with the VPfolders......open the pinmame "setup" ...then look for paths......use the browse on each config to the proper VP folder in Cdrive.....then click install....


Edited by chas, 24 July 2013 - 04:33 AM.


#9 mountaingamer

mountaingamer

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Location:Denver Colorado

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: twilight zone

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:35 AM

Jose - seriously........  your up to 3 posts and sound like you could not figure out a flip phone.  This isnt rocket science or pinball - its Visual Pinball.



#10 Aaron James

Aaron James

    <<< Grand Champion >>>

  • VIP
  • 1,408 posts
  • Location:Shelby Township, Michigan

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Docking Complete...Negative...You Must Redock...Redock Now!



Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:48 AM

wow - UNREAL
We have to whip out a calculator in order to set a table's resolution properly??
 
THis is ONE creepily difficult game to set up right..
 
I would NOT hire these developers to do ANYTHING professional.. they are like the first shareware creators in the 80's.. their real jobs must be selling cars, laying carpet, digging ditches..
 
sorry, but I was a pro developer for 26 yrs, and THIS is not a professional program by any means..
"that's just my opinion, I could be wrong" -- but I'm seeing the same complaints all over the internet..
 
SOMEONE WITH SOME DEVELOPER SKILLS PLEASE CREATE A WORKING INSTALL PGM FOR THIS THAT ALSO DOES THE RIGHT PATHS AND VERSIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
--- JOSE --- who worked on software (Nielsen ratings and followup invoice audit for major ad buys) that ROCKET SCIENTISTS could not handle and they quit and went back to Patriot Missle guidance systems, which they said was much easier..
 
PINBALL is not rocket science nor accounting... this should be easy stuff

This Jose guy is cracking me up!
His only 3 posts are all the same posts.
I think we just found our new VP head designer.
This guy is hilarious. I wanna keep reading Jose posts.
"Whip out a calculator " ....LMFAO, where does he come up with them!!!

vpsig.jpg


#11 Aaron James

Aaron James

    <<< Grand Champion >>>

  • VIP
  • 1,408 posts
  • Location:Shelby Township, Michigan

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Docking Complete...Negative...You Must Redock...Redock Now!



Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:05 AM

epic_fail3.jpg

vpsig.jpg


#12 The Loafer

The Loafer

    Pinball Wizard

  • VIP
  • 3,472 posts
  • Location:Embrun, Ontario, Canada

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron



Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:10 AM

Jose may be smarter than a rocket scientist but he's not very knowledgeable in the area of "asking for help".  Have fun figuring it out Jose, would love to help you as many of us LOVE to assist people; furthering our hobby is a cool thing.  However, I feel myself just too inferior to your skills and this entire thread is making me feel rather inadequate and certainly not feeling up to the task of helping someone of obvious great intelligence.  But the good news is, if I could figure it out, so can you, so stick with it sir and I'm sure one with your vast experience will no doubt meditate and be given some kind of enlightenment in the middle of the night and kapow!  You will know what to do.  IF not, your great programming skills will certainly come in handy, perhaps you can whip up the flawed menu into shape!

 

You must be a pip at parties dude, carry on!


Edited by The Loafer, 24 July 2013 - 05:11 AM.


#13 BobAlbright

BobAlbright

    Pinball Wizard

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 2,304 posts
  • Location:York, Pa. USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

And Jose...thanks for the condescending comment about car salesmen and lumping them in with ditch diggers. I am a college graduate with a masters degree and finished out my working days in auto sales You have no clue and are a pompous ass.

"and in the end , the love you take is equal to the love you make"


#14 RickyRel

RickyRel

    Hobbyist

  • Silver Supporter
  • 11 posts
  • Location:Victoria

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Platoon

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

Hey Jose,

I would encourage you to keep trying! It's worth it in the end! I also have found this a very hard program to get up and running, but after many hours or trying and retrying I now have a pin cabinet with two hundred games,

I must say it is very frustrating because the software regularly crashes on me, and tables that work one day crash the next! But search for help and tinkering away has got me most of the way there!

It been the most fun I have had for years!

Also try searching for instructions on YouTube I found some great videos on how to install vp and Hyperpin, which were a great help.

Anyway, as u say if you have the skills help get program improved and develop better ways for us all!

Everyone has something to offer, we are all here to share and enjoy!

Cheers.