• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family

• PS3 Gamer Tag: K3V_TNL
  • 360 Gamer Tag: K3V2

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

Hi all,

First off, great forum and great resources here! I've got a few real pinball machines and arcade video games but they're out in my garage and I can't play them all winter. So, I found a gutted Data East Playboy 35th Anniversary pin cabinet and decided to build a virtual pin cabinet as a winter project.

Today I got the legs on (with casters so I can move it around inside easier) and started mocking up the internal layout. I ordered the Nanotech plunger and nudge kit and have begun looking at TV's for the playfield. I'm probably going to decase a 37" tv to maximize the playfield space.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good 37" 1080p set? I'm thinking about the VIZIO E371VL (http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B004T1YA5W/) unless for some reason this isn't a good set for a virtual pin or someone has a better recommendation.

Thanks all! Below is a photo of where I'm at so far. Good way to spend a rainy Sunday for sure.

Posted Image

#2 bosvrucht

bosvrucht

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: LOTR

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

if you are buying new, why not go for a 40" ??? newer 40" will fit even without decasing

#3 K3V

K3V

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:14 AM

The cabinet is around 20 3/8" wide inside the cabinet - from measurements I was seeing I was thinking a 37" would be as big as I could go. Will any 40" sets fit?

#4 maceman

maceman

Home Pinball Machine Collector/ Restorer

• VIP
  • 2,271 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: ....**Haunted House**....

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:53 AM

Hi K3V,

Just wanted to add an observation. I build my Macepin at 37" and i love the size, however, my fear is when it goes kaput because 37" monitors seem to be being fazed out. Just some thing to consider. Not that we expect a monitor to go for a while, but just in case, it may take some unnecessary modding in future. Visio seems to be making them still however, i just don't know for how long....

Cheers,
Maceman
________________________________________________________________________________
Canada Eh!
hm_avatar.pngss_avatar.jpg MODS ys_avatar5.jpggenie_avatar.pngj2o_avatar.png

#5 bosvrucht

bosvrucht

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

• Favorite Pinball: LOTR

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

sorry for the mixup, seems most 40" standard size builds modify the body (router) to fit a 40", either that, or put them on top of the wood, like the oldschool builds. Still, there should be some newer 40" tvs out there that fit.

EDIT: You may want to check out the hyperpin forum, according to -mikekim- there, the ue40es6300 should fit a standard cab without issues.

Edited by bosvrucht, 29 October 2012 - 03:51 PM.

#6 K3V

K3V

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

Thanks maceman and bosvrucht, I'll check over at hyperpin too! I'll keep posting here as progress is made on this. I'm definitely going to need a new PC to power this because the old PC I pulled from the closet is choking on most of the tables.

#7 K3V

K3V

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356300999.594365.jpg   228.91KB   249 downloads Bump from the dead :) Got the playfield screen decased and into my virtual pin today. Fit perfect! It's a 37" Vizio in a standard Data East cabinet, just for the record.

#8 bob78954

bob78954

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 257 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Royal Flush,Fish Tales

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

I used a Westinghouse 39 inch in my standard body cab..it fit perfectly..

Westinghouse - 39" Class (38-1/2" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - 60Hz - HDTV Model: EW39T6MZ

Graphics are excellent..

Rob

#9 Nemo

Nemo

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,283 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

Nice ! However, i would lower the LCD to give it more depth and give it more room to "breathe".

Gone fishin', no really.......

My F14 Cab http://www.vpforums....showtopic=21820

My Coffee Table http://www.vpforums....topic=25407&hl=

My Jukebox WIP http://www.vpforums....topic=23825&hl=

#10 K3V

K3V

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

I would lower it down but that's as far as I can get it down without hitting the plunger :/

#11 Agrajag

Agrajag

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek TNG

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

I think he meant to lower it so there's more of an air gap between the glass and the monitor, rather than moving it closer to the front of the cabinet.

#12 nebrunner

nebrunner

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 255 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: BIG GUNS!!!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

I think I have the same model Vizio. I haven't started to decase mine yet, I bought it on a closeout a while back from Walmart with the plans to use it when I start on my pin cab. Right now it is sitting in our guest bedroom and has seen occasional use when we have visitors, I have noticed that it will sometimes power up and show no picture until you shut it off and then turn it right back on. Then it works fine. Unfortunately it is out of the warranty period, so my options are to pay to have that fixed (repair costs probably more than its all worth), use it as is (have to turn pinball machine off then back on each time you start it up), or just go out and buy a new tv and leave this one in the guest bedroom. If I go that route it looks like the westinghouse is a good deal at less than $400. What do you guys think? Also for all of you that are de-casing these, how tough is that?

#13 trowhill

trowhill

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

I used a Westinghouse 39 inch in my standard body cab..it fit perfectly..

Westinghouse - 39" Class (38-1/2" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - 60Hz - HDTV Model: EW39T6MZ

Graphics are excellent..

Rob

Rob,

I was looking at that tv also, did you have to decase it to make it fit?  Thanks

Geo

#14 K3V

K3V

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

Thought I'd post a progress update on this. My build is nearing completion, I've got a speaker panel (& speakers) on the way in the mail, got plexi to cut/tint/mount for in front of the backglass, a mat being cut to go around the playfield screen and that's pretty much it.

I do need to secure down some of the hardware inside the cabinet but otherwise it's up and running 100%.

Here's a recent photo of my son playing Fish Tales on it - he'd been wanting to play that one since it's at our local pizzeria but it's been broken for months. He was very excited to try it out!

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360277459.108973.jpg   169.19KB   186 downloads

#15 Nemo

Nemo

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,283 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

I can imagine he was eager to play some pin, i've also got a Williams system 11 cabinet, they are great for VP conversions, btw gorgeous Tron neon !

Gone fishin', no really.......

My F14 Cab http://www.vpforums....showtopic=21820

My Coffee Table http://www.vpforums....topic=25407&hl=

My Jukebox WIP http://www.vpforums....topic=23825&hl=

#16 Ethermaster

Ethermaster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: N/A

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

need a PC I'm ya man :)

VPforum.png

#17 nebrunner

nebrunner

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 255 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: BIG GUNS!!!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

That neon Tron sign is very cool.

#18 K3V

K3V

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

Thanks guys, this is the eBay seller and auction for the Tron Recognizer neon. Doesn't look like he's making them anymore though :( http://www.ebay.com/itm/150699059626

#19 Shakenbake

Shakenbake

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

Any new Pics?

#20 K3V

K3V

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Not yet - got some grills for the speaker panel on Friday but had a pretty busy weekend. Upgraded the processor in the PC but burnt out the power supply and had to go get a new one, so that sidetracked the "build" part for a bit.

Good news is that it's all back up and running now but I'm still waiting on the lift channel for my plexi, the playfield TV mat and a few other misc parts before I post some more pics. Soon I hope!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vizio, E371VL, data east, playboy