Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

Tron (WIP)


  • Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#41 PainkillerAlice

PainkillerAlice

    Multi-Level Madman

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 2,685 posts
  • Location:Indiana

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: I like multi-level pinball the most


  • Trophies:

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (rdeejay @ Aug 6 2010, 04:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the captive balls are causing the issue, well on my test they were, i deleted them off the table and in the script, stuttering went away.
On my low end computer with a 6600gt i couldn't even get the ball out of the plunger lane without it stuttering and on my other comp with a 1gig 9800gt it still had minor stutter, wiped out the captive balls and issue resolved on both computers. In actual fact on my beta wip fish tales with heaps of reels and 5 stage fade lights it runs better and there is one captive ball on that table so hmmmmmm. Perhaps someone else can shed more light on the subject and issue.


Ok will do that. The captive balls are not eathshattering if I take them off the table. Thanks for the input rdeejay!

Update: That did the trick! Can resume working on this table. Credit goes to rdeejay for the fix!

P.S. Once I get the Tron DVD for myself, I will be take screenshots and recording audio from the movie. These resources I wiill cheerfully share with anyone that would like them for their own Tron table (or another theme) once I have them ready.

Edited by Practicedummy, 06 August 2010 - 04:58 PM.

I could have been smart, but I never learned anything by being smart!

 

 


#42 PainkillerAlice

PainkillerAlice

    Multi-Level Madman

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 2,685 posts
  • Location:Indiana

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: I like multi-level pinball the most


  • Trophies:

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

Getting my new sound card today so as soon as I install it will get finished with the recording audio of my Hogan's Heroes table by the end of next week and then the coding will be all that is left. While I was waiting on my sound card, I did a little more work on my Tron table. Here is the current screenshot:


I could have been smart, but I never learned anything by being smart!

 

 


#43 faralos

faralos

    VPF Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts
  • Location:Eastern Pa,USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Flash (Williams) 1979, Flash2 Updated




  • Trophies:

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

Wow! I LOVE that glow look but I hope that during play I can still see the ball! Try for a white ball image if ya' got one...but other than that as long as the pathways have smooth ball play in them and stuff then... cool.gif
"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
----Steve Jobs


#44 PainkillerAlice

PainkillerAlice

    Multi-Level Madman

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 2,685 posts
  • Location:Indiana

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: I like multi-level pinball the most


  • Trophies:

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:15 PM

If there is a blue marble ball image, would love to use that, but the white ball image is a great idea. Will have to check and see if I have such in one of my folders.

Found a ball image in one of my folders that may go well with the table. It's called ooze. I used GIMP to flip the image vertically in order to make a back image of the ball for the table.

Here's the current WIP. Would love for anyone who would like to playtest this table, opinions are cheerfully accepted!

Tron table 8-13-10

Edited by Practicedummy, 13 August 2010 - 06:39 PM.

I could have been smart, but I never learned anything by being smart!

 

 


#45 PainkillerAlice

PainkillerAlice

    Multi-Level Madman

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 2,685 posts
  • Location:Indiana

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: I like multi-level pinball the most


  • Trophies:

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:58 PM

The way things are looking, soon after I finish my Hogan's Heroes table, that this table will be complete as well. Some more images and more sound effects are the only things left to do before the coding so things are looking up. biggrin.gif

I could have been smart, but I never learned anything by being smart!

 

 


#46 PainkillerAlice

PainkillerAlice

    Multi-Level Madman

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 2,685 posts
  • Location:Indiana

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: I like multi-level pinball the most


  • Trophies:

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:04 PM

A little update to my work on this table. Created the playfield grid image from scratch and pleased that it turned out so well. Had to set the black background on the image a little less black. Was getting major stuttering with it at true black. biggrin.gif


I could have been smart, but I never learned anything by being smart!

 

 


#47 faralos

faralos

    VPF Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts
  • Location:Eastern Pa,USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Flash (Williams) 1979, Flash2 Updated




  • Trophies:

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (Practicedummy @ Aug 13 2010, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If there is a blue marble ball image, would love to use that, but the white ball image is a great idea. Will have to check and see if I have such in one of my folders.

Found a ball image in one of my folders that may go well with the table. It's called ooze. I used GIMP to flip the image vertically in order to make a back image of the ball for the table.

Here's the current WIP. Would love for anyone who would like to playtest this table, opinions are cheerfully accepted!

Tron table 8-13-10


AAARRRGGGHHH!!! the link does not go to anything! what torture...pleez reupload the link...

vp treats true black as an invisible color I had that same problem with my Zen table as it uses an entire 'black' table droppable surface! I actually used dark grey for that same reason!

oh and if that is vp9 then the back ball image does not matter as the ball does not really spin like in vp8! try a pic on it you'll find that it looks fake like it's sliding around the table. For that reason I don't put any images on the ball in vp9 instead going for a shiny ball so you can't really tell that it is not rolling.
"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
----Steve Jobs


#48 PainkillerAlice

PainkillerAlice

    Multi-Level Madman

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 2,685 posts
  • Location:Indiana

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: I like multi-level pinball the most


  • Trophies:

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:06 PM

It seems there is a limit to how long a file stays in place at Speedy Share lol. Here's an updated version of my WIP: Tron table 9-14-10

I could have been smart, but I never learned anything by being smart!

 

 


#49 DJ Wheels

DJ Wheels

    Enthusiast

  • Silver Supporter
  • 304 posts
  • Location:Philly Subs

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Eight Ball Deluxe

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:11 PM

Here are some Tron sounds I uploaded, if anyone needs them.

Game over music
http://www.zshare.ne...404901ed679941/

intro music
http://www.zshare.ne...404955c9087c83/

screen clear (i think)
http://www.zshare.ne...405028266e70e0/

screen clear 2 (i think)
http://www.zshare.ne...405051e4ad4dc0/
Quit talking and start chalking!

#50 faralos

faralos

    VPF Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts
  • Location:Eastern Pa,USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Flash (Williams) 1979, Flash2 Updated




  • Trophies:

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:23 PM

thanks for the table! Now I get the chance to rape it over and over again! laugh.gif so, like how's HH coming? almost done with it? drool.gif drool.gif
"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
----Steve Jobs


#51 PainkillerAlice

PainkillerAlice

    Multi-Level Madman

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 2,685 posts
  • Location:Indiana

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: I like multi-level pinball the most


  • Trophies:

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (faralos @ Sep 14 2010, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks for the table! Now I get the chance to rape it over and over again! laugh.gif so, like how's HH coming? almost done with it? drool.gif drool.gif



I am now thinking of what episodes to use for the 10 missions that when each one is complete, will light one of the "Hogans Heroes" lights in the lower center of the playfield. Also on that table will integrate "side missions" that when you activate certain main missions, the side mission will be available but you have to complete the side mission before the main mission is complete and without losing a ball or the mission will fail. biggrin.gif

I could have been smart, but I never learned anything by being smart!

 

 


#52 faralos

faralos

    VPF Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts
  • Location:Eastern Pa,USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Flash (Williams) 1979, Flash2 Updated




  • Trophies:

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:21 PM

let's see, 'escape the compound' (maybe hitting a certain ramp a number of times) freeing the prisoners (drop targets?) touring the camp unseen (hit triggers at certain areas? do you mean missions like those? timed gate perhaps (to signify the spotlights passing over the camp, that they timed with quick runs!)
nice table btw! good to know that a table made with vp can look as neony(?) and futuristic as one made in FP! like that eyeball too!

Edited by faralos, 14 September 2010 - 10:23 PM.

"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
----Steve Jobs


#53 PainkillerAlice

PainkillerAlice

    Multi-Level Madman

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 2,685 posts
  • Location:Indiana

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: I like multi-level pinball the most


  • Trophies:

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:10 AM

I was referring to my Hogan's Heroes table when I was thinking about the missions.

Getting a Tron dvd soon to rip some audio clips and get screenshots of here in a few weeks and will make further progress with it once I get the dvd in. This table shouldn't take even half the time that Hogan's Heroes did since I do not have to record a gargantuan amount of audio like I did with Hogan's Heroes. biggrin.gif

I could have been smart, but I never learned anything by being smart!

 

 


#54 Liteuser

Liteuser

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Location:USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: TFTC

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:32 AM

Very nice work on this table Practicedummy. smile.gif

I think that a Tron disk image for the ball would be neat. Nice ramps Man! wink.gif

#55 PainkillerAlice

PainkillerAlice

    Multi-Level Madman

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 2,685 posts
  • Location:Indiana

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: I like multi-level pinball the most


  • Trophies:

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:27 AM

QUOTE (Liteuser @ Sep 14 2010, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very nice work on this table Practicedummy. smile.gif

I think that a Tron disk image for the ball would be neat. Nice ramps Man! wink.gif


I seriously thought about and still am thinking about having a Tron disc for the ball but I need to have it set up to where it looks like it is rolling or some type of animation to make it come to life. I haven't figured out how to do this yet as far as what kind of image to use for the back image to accomplish this.

I could have been smart, but I never learned anything by being smart!

 

 


#56 neoblood

neoblood

    Enthusiast

  • Charter Member
  • 381 posts
  • Location:USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: bop

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:17 AM

Love the grid design. Maybe color it slightly different so it doesn't get lost with all the other stuff of that color.
A Pinball a day takes the boredom away

#57 faralos

faralos

    VPF Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts
  • Location:Eastern Pa,USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Flash (Williams) 1979, Flash2 Updated




  • Trophies:

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (Practicedummy @ Sep 15 2010, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Liteuser @ Sep 14 2010, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very nice work on this table Practicedummy. smile.gif

I think that a Tron disk image for the ball would be neat. Nice ramps Man! wink.gif


I seriously thought about and still am thinking about having a Tron disc for the ball but I need to have it set up to where it looks like it is rolling or some type of animation to make it come to life. I haven't figured out how to do this yet as far as what kind of image to use for the back image to accomplish this.

with vp9 the back image doesn't matter as the ball doesn't really spin, so you never even see the back of the ball. As for images on it again it'll stay facing front at all times. so if you use the disc as the ball image your ball will look like a frisbee! an odd look but not what you want I don't think. (maybe for a captured ball this would have worked ( as the disc that gets thrown!)

as for the missions, HH was what i was thinking when I mentioned those missions! i.e. escape from compound, dodge the spotlights, timed gates, etc...
"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
----Steve Jobs


#58 neoblood

neoblood

    Enthusiast

  • Charter Member
  • 381 posts
  • Location:USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: bop

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (faralos @ Sep 15 2010, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Practicedummy @ Sep 15 2010, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Liteuser @ Sep 14 2010, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very nice work on this table Practicedummy. smile.gif

I think that a Tron disk image for the ball would be neat. Nice ramps Man! wink.gif


I seriously thought about and still am thinking about having a Tron disc for the ball but I need to have it set up to where it looks like it is rolling or some type of animation to make it come to life. I haven't figured out how to do this yet as far as what kind of image to use for the back image to accomplish this.

with vp9 the back image doesn't matter as the ball doesn't really spin, so you never even see the back of the ball. As for images on it again it'll stay facing front at all times. so if you use the disc as the ball image your ball will look like a frisbee! an odd look but not what you want I don't think. (maybe for a captured ball this would have worked ( as the disc that gets thrown!)

as for the missions, HH was what i was thinking when I mentioned those missions! i.e. escape from compound, dodge the spotlights, timed gates, etc...


Just for clarification I believe you can add 2 textures front and back and set them to the ball image properties and poof.. you get a rolling ball effect.
A Pinball a day takes the boredom away

#59 faralos

faralos

    VPF Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts
  • Location:Eastern Pa,USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Flash (Williams) 1979, Flash2 Updated




  • Trophies:

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:28 PM

um... no not with vp9! In vp8 the ball did indeed roll letting you see its back image but in vp9 that was taken out> I don't know why, but it makes for odd ball rolling effects if you use an image on it. as it just kind of slides around the tabletop.
"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
----Steve Jobs


#60 PainkillerAlice

PainkillerAlice

    Multi-Level Madman

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 2,685 posts
  • Location:Indiana

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: I like multi-level pinball the most


  • Trophies:

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (neoblood @ Sep 15 2010, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (faralos @ Sep 15 2010, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Practicedummy @ Sep 15 2010, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Liteuser @ Sep 14 2010, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very nice work on this table Practicedummy. smile.gif

I think that a Tron disk image for the ball would be neat. Nice ramps Man! wink.gif


I seriously thought about and still am thinking about having a Tron disc for the ball but I need to have it set up to where it looks like it is rolling or some type of animation to make it come to life. I haven't figured out how to do this yet as far as what kind of image to use for the back image to accomplish this.

with vp9 the back image doesn't matter as the ball doesn't really spin, so you never even see the back of the ball. As for images on it again it'll stay facing front at all times. so if you use the disc as the ball image your ball will look like a frisbee! an odd look but not what you want I don't think. (maybe for a captured ball this would have worked ( as the disc that gets thrown!)

as for the missions, HH was what i was thinking when I mentioned those missions! i.e. escape from compound, dodge the spotlights, timed gates, etc...


Just for clarification I believe you can add 2 textures front and back and set them to the ball image properties and poof.. you get a rolling ball effect.


I think I wouldn't have a problem with disc images for the ball that made the disc look like it is flipping, but how to accomplish this will take some thinking.

I still have to put in some plastics to separate some details from the grid image so it wont look like the walls and ramps are not mashed together with the grid image. On the center ramp, I will have a wall set at .001 underneath it to cover the grid image but have the lights' surface setting set to the wall so they still show. Will do the same for the loops. On the left miniplayfield's ramp will probably have to create a design (possibly more "neon" blue lines) for it to cover the grid image.

Edited by Practicedummy, 15 September 2010 - 07:25 PM.

I could have been smart, but I never learned anything by being smart!