Jump to content



Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Cirqus Voltaire Hanibals 4k Mod[Visual Pinball X MOD]


  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 BigBoss

BigBoss

    Pinball Fan

  • VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: Attack From Mars, Metallica, Theatre Of Magic, Shadow, Star Trek

Posted 11 May 2022 - 02:14 PM

I'm having a serious lag issue with the flippers.  This is the only table where I've had this issue.  It's almost like there's a half second lag between the button press and the actual movement of the flippers.  I'm more than willing to believe its a problem with my config.  Just seeing if anyone else has experienced it.  Like I said, I don't have this issue with any other table.

 

Thanks for any advice!

Well this is made for 4K rendering. Most likely your rig isn't powerful enough to handle it. Hit F11 and see what your framerate is at.



#22 MrGrynch

MrGrynch

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Blood Machines, Fish Tales, Attack from Mars

Posted 11 May 2022 - 05:15 PM

 

I'm having a serious lag issue with the flippers.  This is the only table where I've had this issue.  It's almost like there's a half second lag between the button press and the actual movement of the flippers.  I'm more than willing to believe its a problem with my config.  Just seeing if anyone else has experienced it.  Like I said, I don't have this issue with any other table.

 

Thanks for any advice!

Well this is made for 4K rendering. Most likely your rig isn't powerful enough to handle it. Hit F11 and see what your framerate is at.

 

Thank you!



#23 MrGrynch

MrGrynch

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Blood Machines, Fish Tales, Attack from Mars

Posted 11 May 2022 - 07:05 PM

@bigboss I ran it with F11 to get framerate, and its at a steady 30 FPS.  Other tables are at 37 - 45 FPS



#24 MrGrynch

MrGrynch

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Blood Machines, Fish Tales, Attack from Mars

Posted 11 May 2022 - 09:07 PM

I tweaked the settings and now have it running at around 100FPS and its MUCH more playable.  Still a noticeable lag in flipper response, but I can work with it.  Thanks!



#25 wiesshund

wiesshund

    VPF Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,871 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 12 May 2022 - 12:13 AM

@bigboss I ran it with F11 to get framerate, and its at a steady 30 FPS.  Other tables are at 37 - 45 FPS

 

First, you need to stop playing VPX on my laptop

the flippers always lag


If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i don't have any way to receive it anyways

Spend it on Hookers and Blow


#26 MrGrynch

MrGrynch

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Blood Machines, Fish Tales, Attack from Mars

Posted 12 May 2022 - 02:29 PM

Well, this is funny.  When testing this table, I must have run it a dozen times without an issue (other than the original flipper speed complaint).  As soon as I added it to my production folder and tried recording table video, a strange new behavior emerged.  The Ringmaster's head pops up and then falls over, sometimes bobbling around.. Then a pinball will fly across the board and hover around the head, like a magnet.  It is now happening almost every time.  I checked the VPUniverse forum for this table, and there are lots of people seeing the same behavior, but I don't see it mentioned here at all.  The links below show the behavior I am talking about.

 

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

 

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing



#27 wiesshund

wiesshund

    VPF Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,871 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 13 May 2022 - 04:43 AM

well the ball is on the magnet
but no idea what is happening to your physics

 

i played the table for about 45 minutes, cant replicate.

 

WHat is your CPU use looking like when running this table?


If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i don't have any way to receive it anyways

Spend it on Hookers and Blow


#28 jpsalas

jpsalas

    Grand Schtroumpf

  • VIP
  • 7,385 posts
  • Location:I'm Spanish, but I live in Oslo (Norway)

  • Flag: Norway

  • Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.



Posted 13 May 2022 - 09:07 AM

It works ok for me, but I guess not many people plays Hannibal version as there are other more updated versions that looks perhaps a little better.


If you want to check my latest uploads then click on the image below:

 

vp.jpg

 

 


#29 Mrtr32

Mrtr32

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

  • Flag: Canada

  • Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 13 May 2022 - 12:04 PM

@MrGrynch

 

The first time you start a new table in VPX, some files is created in the background like:

Rom cfg file in C:\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\cfg folder

Rom nv file in C:\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\nvram folder

and for some table a txt file in C:\Visual Pinball\User

 

the flippers can freeze and you can have an unexpected issues if you start a game.

 

For the new table added I always start the table, leave the rom initialize and quit the table

 

Start the table again and with the file created, the table should be stable and play fine.


Edited by Mrtr32, 13 May 2022 - 12:08 PM.


#30 MrGrynch

MrGrynch

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Blood Machines, Fish Tales, Attack from Mars

Posted 13 May 2022 - 01:20 PM

It works ok for me, but I guess not many people plays Hannibal version as there are other more updated versions that looks perhaps a little better.

 

This is Hannibal's version.


@MrGrynch

 

The first time you start a new table in VPX, some files is created in the background like:

Rom cfg file in C:\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\cfg folder

Rom nv file in C:\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\nvram folder

and for some table a txt file in C:\Visual Pinball\User

 

the flippers can freeze and you can have an unexpected issues if you start a game.

 

For the new table added I always start the table, leave the rom initialize and quit the table

 

Start the table again and with the file created, the table should be stable and play fine.

 

That is not the issue.  I ran this table at least a dozen times in my test area and didn't have any issues like this.  It wasn't until I moved it to my main game area that the problem started.  I have more info on that now which I will post separately



#31 MrGrynch

MrGrynch

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Blood Machines, Fish Tales, Attack from Mars

Posted 13 May 2022 - 01:35 PM

UPDATE:

 

As I mentioned previously, I tested this table for quite a while in VPX and didn't have this "sleepy head" issue.  It wasn't until I moved it to my main game area that the problem started.  I first noticed it when trying to capture video for the frontend.  Every time it loaded the game to record video, the problem would happen.  When I launch the game from the frontend, the problem happens.

 

If I load the game from VPX directly, with no other program in the mix, the table runs fine!  I have an i5 9400 processor 3.0Ghz, 32gb DDR4 2666mhz, GTX 1070 Ti, 1TB Samsung EVO 970 NVMe drive.  I don't think its a resource problem

 

WTH?!



#32 wiesshund

wiesshund

    VPF Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,871 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 13 May 2022 - 05:54 PM

Sounds like a CPU load issue then


If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i don't have any way to receive it anyways

Spend it on Hookers and Blow


#33 MrGrynch

MrGrynch

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Blood Machines, Fish Tales, Attack from Mars

Posted 17 May 2022 - 01:31 PM

Sounds like a CPU load issue then

 

Unlikely.  I just ran it through resource monitor.  My processor has 6 cores.   When I run it, CPU 1 spikes to 100%. but the other cores are much lower (around 35-50%).. overall CPU usage is around 50%.  I've attached two screen shots.  The first is Cirqus Voltaire experiencing the "bobblehead" problem.  The second is Indiana Jones, experiencing no problem at all.  The Indiana Jones table is actually MORE taxing on load than Cirqus.  Is the some sort of load balancing I can do on the cores?

 

Cirqus

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

 

Indy

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing



#34 jpsalas

jpsalas

    Grand Schtroumpf

  • VIP
  • 7,385 posts
  • Location:I'm Spanish, but I live in Oslo (Norway)

  • Flag: Norway

  • Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.



Posted 17 May 2022 - 05:24 PM

There is nothing wrong with the table, but your copy may be broken. That table used a captive ball to make the head giggle, somehow your captive ball is no longer there and instead of being captive is wandering around and as I see in the second video the head is following a normal ball.

 

This may happen in many tables that using a similar system to make animations, like my AFM, if you control the ball with mouse, as the mouse may pull out the ball from its place, as seen in the image:

 

 

So, there is nothing wrong with the table, and if you have made changes to the table either you have removed the part of the script which creates that ball, and the head is following the first ball is finds, or most probably is that you have enabled the ball control with the mouse, and you use to click on the table to start and that captive ball gets out of its place.


If you want to check my latest uploads then click on the image below:

 

vp.jpg

 

 


#35 MrGrynch

MrGrynch

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Blood Machines, Fish Tales, Attack from Mars

Posted 17 May 2022 - 05:30 PM

There is nothing wrong with the table, but your copy may be broken. That table used a captive ball to make the head giggle, somehow your captive ball is no longer there and instead of being captive is wandering around and as I see in the second video the head is following a normal ball.

 

This may happen in many tables that using a similar system to make animations, like my AFM, if you control the ball with mouse, as the mouse may pull out the ball from its place, as seen in the image:

 

attachicon.gif Capture.PNG

 

So, there is nothing wrong with the table, and if you have made changes to the table either you have removed the part of the script which creates that ball, and the head is following the first ball is finds, or most probably is that you have enabled the ball control with the mouse, and you use to click on the table to start and that captive ball gets out of its place.

Hi JP!

 

I think you are on to the problem.  I have NOT modified the table in any way.  But it's interesting you mention the captive ball... when it works, I don't see any ball.  When it fails, I see two failure modes.  In one, the ball behaves like shown in my video.  In another, it "seems" to be working OK, but, there is a ball visible on the bottom left of the screen that just sits there, wobbling.. and coincidentally, the ringmaster head has the same wobble.  There are several people on VPUniverse that reported the same behavior, but no one engaged them there to discuss

 

I've reinstalled the table several times to make sure I have a good copy.  Its weird..  when I run in VPX standalone, I have far fewer instances.  It happens almost all the time when I run it from another app such as PinballX


Edited by MrGrynch, 17 May 2022 - 05:31 PM.


#36 jpsalas

jpsalas

    Grand Schtroumpf

  • VIP
  • 7,385 posts
  • Location:I'm Spanish, but I live in Oslo (Norway)

  • Flag: Norway

  • Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.



Posted 17 May 2022 - 05:31 PM

Here I have done the same. I tried to control the ball using the mouse and at the end the captive ball managed to "escape", and you can see the ball and the head going "bananas" :D

 

 

So stop controlling the ball, and if you don't do it willingly, then just disable that in the editor/UI options:

 

 

 

 

 


And if the CPU goes "bananas" is mostly because the ball is generation a ron of hit events :)


If you want to check my latest uploads then click on the image below:

 

vp.jpg

 

 


#37 MrGrynch

MrGrynch

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Blood Machines, Fish Tales, Attack from Mars

Posted 17 May 2022 - 05:37 PM

Here I have done the same. I tried to control the ball using the mouse and at the end the captive ball managed to "escape", and you can see the ball and the head going "bananas" :D

 

attachicon.gif clipboard.jpg

 

So stop controlling the ball, and if you don't do it willingly, then just disable that in the editor/UI options:

 

attachicon.gif Capture2.PNG

 

 

 

 


And if the CPU goes "bananas" is mostly because the ball is generation a ron of hit events :)

 

I don't have that option enabled (but I did wonder how its done since I've seen it in videos)

 

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing


And why do your picture show up, but for mine, I have to upload to google drive and link it?



#38 jpsalas

jpsalas

    Grand Schtroumpf

  • VIP
  • 7,385 posts
  • Location:I'm Spanish, but I live in Oslo (Norway)

  • Flag: Norway

  • Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.



Posted 17 May 2022 - 05:45 PM

I'm spesial :D 

Well, tactually here the "VPF Image Host" you can use, it is in the menu: Portal   Forums   VPF Chatroom   SupportVPF    VPF Image Host


If you want to check my latest uploads then click on the image below:

 

vp.jpg

 

 


#39 wiesshund

wiesshund

    VPF Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,871 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 17 May 2022 - 06:42 PM

 

 

 

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing


And why do your picture show up, but for mine, I have to upload to google drive and link it?

 

 

Google does not allow "Hot Linking" of content, as hot linking uses bandwidth
Image sharing sites like imgur.com allow hot linking

 

You can use VPF Image host, only problem i have with it is
2 days later, i cant find the image i put up to re-use it again later
imgur i can find them always


If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i don't have any way to receive it anyways

Spend it on Hookers and Blow


#40 MrGrynch

MrGrynch

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Blood Machines, Fish Tales, Attack from Mars

Posted 17 May 2022 - 07:14 PM

AR5F1xI.jpg