Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

Controller error on table start


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 camperb

camperb

    Neophyte

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: Addams Family

Posted 15 July 2026 - 10:47 PM

I have an existing machine that I got a new game hard-drive for.  That hard drive has the dmd and backglass mixed up. I researched and did all of the things to that hard drive that I could find, nothing works. This problem is secondary to the main reason for this post:

 

I hooked up my old hard drive to try to do a comparison of the settings.  While I was doing that, I think I mistakenly updated the virtual pinball and MAME versions.  Now on the original hard drive I'm getting a controller error upon loading any visual pinball table (FX tables still work).  I've confirmed that the controller script is in the script file and not the tables file.  I've registered the b2s, I've re-installed the MAME.  I've updated everything to the latest versions, but still nothing has worked.  

 

So, now I cannot play visual pinball tables on either hard drive (the main reason I bought this table was to play Addams Family).

 

Can anyone help with either (or both) of these problems?

 



#2 Tesla

Tesla

    Pinball Fan

  • Silver Supporter
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location:Texas, USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Star Trek - TNG

Posted 15 July 2026 - 11:11 PM

I have an existing machine that I got a new game hard-drive for.  That hard drive has the dmd and backglass mixed up. I researched and did all of the things to that hard drive that I could find, nothing works. This problem is secondary to the main reason for this post:

 

 

 

 

Probably all this was ... the order got changed in Windows/Settings ... so you just drag them back to the way they were originally.

 

The Playfield monitor is defined in VPX-Editor/Prefs/Video

The Backglass and/or DMD displays are defined in ScreenRes.txt.

 

https://i.ibb.co/S0f.../vpinhelp01.jpg



#3 camperb

camperb

    Neophyte

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: Addams Family

Posted 16 July 2026 - 01:19 AM

Yes, I've tried manually moving the screens in windows.  It didn't do anything on my machine.  I have made changes in screenres, it did move the backglass, but did not move the dmd.  The backglass was mirrored on the dmd screen and the dmd display was still overlayed on top of the main backglass.



#4 Tesla

Tesla

    Pinball Fan

  • Silver Supporter
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location:Texas, USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Star Trek - TNG

Posted 16 July 2026 - 03:45 AM

I think before anyone can help you further, you need to define "existing machine", is this a 2-3 screen cabinet, what OS and VPX version are you running, what Front-End, what do you think this "controller" is ... stuff like that.

 

Have you tried running a table directly from the VPX-Editor? 



#5 camperb

camperb

    Neophyte

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: Addams Family

Posted 16 July 2026 - 03:27 PM

I bought a 3 screen table from creative arcades.  I just updated to the most current version of vpx, 10.8.  The table scripts reference a "controller" script (there is a scripts folder with about 70 other scripts in it), which I assume does a number of different things for the table since I get 3-4 errors on any given table I try to run.  Yes, I have tried to run tables through the editor and the table does not start due to the same error.



#6 Tesla

Tesla

    Pinball Fan

  • Silver Supporter
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location:Texas, USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Star Trek - TNG

Posted 16 July 2026 - 06:08 PM

1. I bought a 3 screen table from creative arcades. 

 

2. I just updated to the most current version of vpx, 10.8. 

 

3. The table scripts reference a "controller" script (there is a scripts folder with about 70 other scripts in it), which I assume does a number of different things for the table since I get 3-4 errors on any given table I try to run. 

 

4. Yes, I have tried to run tables through the editor and the table does not start due to the same error.

 

1. Nice. So, according to their manuals and/or support ... did you follow the proper steps for a HDD/SSD upgrade? Personally, I think I would have created a Full Backup drive-image before I started. Will they not help you?

 

https://creative-arc...ges/help-center

 

2. Within the confines of their turn-key-product ... it this even allowed?

 

3. Unknown what this is or how it's integrated into the machine (is it hardware, software or both). Have you read the available documentation? 

 

4. Interesting. Normally, (on our similar DIY cabinet builds), we get this working first.



#7 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

    VPF Veteran

  • VIP
  • 5,158 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra



Contributor

Posted 16 July 2026 - 10:34 PM

What is the first error? Fix that and the others should go away too

#8 Tesla

Tesla

    Pinball Fan

  • Silver Supporter
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location:Texas, USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Star Trek - TNG

Posted 17 July 2026 - 03:24 AM

Out of curiosity ... I googled and looked around a bit for you.

 

I see very little about the inner-workings of a Creative Arcades virtual pinball machine. If someone has opened one up and (just basically) found out how they work, like:
- What kind of computer is running it

- What OS is it running on
- What "controller" they are using (for buttons and what-not)
 

... they haven't really posted about it (or done a video).

 

Frankly, I found more about (similar things) on atGames and Arcade1up virtual pinball machines. That doesn't even include my ALP threads here, like:

 

https://www.vpforums...=52387&p=548001

 

As you have found, this kind of info is not just for "gutting them" and rebuilding them. Sometimes, you just need to know this kind of stuff to do minor hardware-mods or update the software.



#9 fhjui

fhjui

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Location:Germany

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: especially EM tables

Posted 17 July 2026 - 09:12 AM

It sounds like an vb-script error. Have you updated (copied) all vpx files, included the vbs-files in the vpinball/scripts directory? they are backwards compatible. for precaution, check by their file date, that they not have been changed by the manufacturer. But that is very unlikely

In case of that make a backup of that file(s), copy the new ones. they have all the same date. And then compare the  old and the new one using a tool like totalcommander.

And as I always say: no backup, no mercy

The basic todo before a system change is to make a file copy of the vb-dir. and an additional  system backup on an external HD


Edited by fhjui, 17 July 2026 - 09:16 AM.

My documentation for installing vpin software with PinUpsystem (Baller installer): https://mega.nz/fold...wAXZlOEMQGbdutQ

Files and PDF-docu in the subdir "Installation vPin-Software with Baller-Installer"


#10 Tesla

Tesla

    Pinball Fan

  • Silver Supporter
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location:Texas, USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Star Trek - TNG

Posted 18 July 2026 - 02:11 AM

So, I'm assuming your cabinet's computer is Intel (or AMD) and running Windows-11 or 10.

 

Was it running VPX v10.7.2 (or v10.7.4) before you started messing with it? That would have been 32-bit for Windows Direct-X.

 

There is a controller.vbs for both VPX v10.7.x and v10.8.0 (but they are different files, just named the same). If you do a proper install of VPX (with an official installer file) it installs all the files you need to run it (including the proper versions of required Script files). Personally, I left v10.7.2 installed and installed v10.8.0 "in parallel" along-side it (in a different root folder).

 

AFAIK, it access the \Scripts\ folder that is adjacent to the .EXE that you use to start Visual Pinball.

 

The (32bit Direct-X) version of VPX v10.8.0 (VPinballX.exe) should still work. Try with a "simple" SS table.

If you want to start running one of the 64bit versions, there are extra steps. That can come later.


Edited by Tesla, 18 July 2026 - 05:25 PM.