Photo
- - - - -

Future Pinball being 32 bit - NOT a limitation!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,830 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Too many to choose...

Contributor

Posted 10 May 2024 - 03:21 AM

Future Pinball being 32 bit is NOT a limitation

FP is a 32 bit app. A 32 bit app is limited to being able to access 4 GB of system ram max. Some claim FP being 32 bit is a big a limiting factor. With VP, yes that may be the case for some newer VP tables (as it typically needed to load all textures twice into ram, and needs lots of ram for new BTK tables, etc). For FP-BAM however, that 4 GB limit does not apply to textures / models / GPU vram. 

I decided to test something.

MOTU CE is currently the largest FP table file (and growing in size), currently at around 368 MB. I've always been aware of how much I was using, and kept all my updates fine tuned to not use anything extra if not needed. However, I never really knew how far I could really go. Now I know.

My PC is an i5 13600K with 32 GB ram, GPU is RTX 4070 Ti Super (16 GB vram)

For a test, I kept adding lots and lots of 4K textures, some 10k textures, lots of FBX / OBJ models (that have their own big textures) to MOTU CE.... and kept going, and testing... and going and testing...

Well, I haven't reached a limit yet... but to give you an idea:

======================================================

Largest VPX table I have installed (its a VR modded table)

Table file: 475 MB
VP - ram usage: 5.9 GB
VP - GPU vram usage: 7.2 GB

MOTU CE table (largest FP table, wip):

Table file: 368 MB
FP - ram usage: 1.5 GB
FP - GPU vram usage: 3.9 GB

After enabling texture compression in FP video settings (meant only for those with low vram on their GPU)...

Table file: 368 MB
FP - ram usage: 1.2 GB
FP - GPU vram usage: 2.6 GB

MOTU CE table : After adding a shit load of 4K textures, FBX / OBJ models

Table file: 1.2 GB
FP - ram usage: 2.2 GB
FP - GPU vram usage: 12.5 GB

After enabling texture compression in FP video settings (meant only for those with low vram on their GPU)...

Table file: 1.2 GB
FP - ram usage: 2.0 GB
FP - GPU vram usage: 5.2 GB

So yah... FP being 32 bit... is NOT a concern, or a limitation. The only limit will be how much ram (more so GPU vram) the player's PC has.

Someone with low vram on their GPU can enable texture compression in FP settings which seems to cut vram usage in half mostly. The only downside to that is the table may take a bit longer to load as it's compressing textures as it loads, but at least it's an option for those with a lower-end PC.

My point with this post is not to compare VP to FP (but it does illustrate how they work very differently for ram usage).

I'm just showing this bodes very well for tables like MOTU CE and Silent Hill and others in the future. I really can do mostly whatever I want, as I am not limited by 32 bit ram limits on FP-BAM.

Edited by TerryRed, 11 May 2024 - 06:26 PM.

#2 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,830 posts

Contributor

Posted 11 May 2024 - 06:10 PM

Updated first post. I forgot about texture compression! Huge savings in ram usage for those with low vram on their GPU.

#3 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,830 posts

Contributor

Posted Yesterday, 09:24 AM

WORK IN PROGRESS (New Man-E Mode)

KHAN ARTIST (Kobra Khan)

=================================

I just completed creating the newest Man-E Mode bringing MOTU CE up to 14 modes now. This new mode is called KHAN ARTIST.

Kobra Khan appears through a portal as a BumperHead toy. He is trying to set you up for a crime you didn't commit.

Kobra Khan, has 3 attacks you must pass through to progress.

Snake Tongue - Kobra Khan will rotate back and forth while lashing out his long tongue, making it hard to pass him and make shots. If your ball hits his tongue at all, he will suck the ball into his mouth and spit it out elsewhere! Once you make two lit shots, then he begins his next attack.

Venom Mist - Kobra Khan rotates back and forth spraying his deadly venom mist. If you get caught in the mist, your ball will be frozen / paralyzed in place... and then dropped! After you make two lit shots then he will being his final attack.

Kobra Trance - Kobra Khan rotates back and forth with his snake eyes trying to catch you in his glance! If you fall within his line of sight, then your ball will freeze in place. Kobra Khan will spray sleep gas at you to tire you out! This makes all the table lights dim out over and over... and the worst part? Your flippers controls are reversed! This will continue for a short time until you recover. Each time you get caught in his gaze this repeats! Make two last lit shots to complete the mode and collect the Kobra Khan action figure!

This mode is very neat, but can be very challenging! You really need to keep the ball under control! Your Orko Shots can be VERY helpful here... but they can also fire your ball into a deadly attack as well! Be careful!

This game is getting HUGE... and I love it!

More to come!

PA9Yg0g.jpg

qR9Wn0F.jpg

GydT30S.jpg