I am in the final stages of my build and came across what appears to be a potential hazard. My two favorite sources besides this forum (MJR & TheWayofTheWrench) didn't seem to come across this issue.
Task: Step down 12v to 6.3v for 555 lights.
Situation: All resources that I can find cite using a step down voltage regulator. MJR's guide says that the out ground doesn't even need to be connected as the board is grounded internally. TheWayofTheWrench grounds the out ground to the common terminal block.
Issue: Every regulator that I have come across requires isolated grounding. I spoke with one manufacturer that claims common grounding can result in a potential hazard, at minimum premature regulator failure as current can not be regulated when the ground is common.
In my research it seems like these regulators are sold both ways (isolated and common) but I am having difficulty finding one that allows for common grounding. What's frustrating is that I found sites that claim the LM2596 (which is what many of the ebay regulators are) is okay for common grounding, however at least one manufacturer of the LM2596 board (DROK) said that the grounds must be isolated.
This portion of the build is territory that I am least familiar with. At minimum, it seems like their is a disconnect with what is an acceptable voltage regulator and my fear is that other builders like me may be putting their cabinet at risk of a fire.
I am hoping that someone with better knowledge on voltage regulation can chime in and help out.



Top











are all trademarks of VPFORUMS.