#1 GCS2000

GCS2000

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 80 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek: The Next Generation

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:18 PM

Can someone help me understand what's happening with TILT!

So I have my KLZ board all bolted in the cab, direction is set right in pinscape and set to the default settings.

I have a real tilt bob but have actually disconnected for now - the wire has been removed from the pinscape board completely.

I do NOT have the tilt sensor turned on in VPX (ie the checkbox).

X/Y Gain for nudging is set to 10%

Shaker is set to min 8 max 12 in DOF

No matter what the slightest bump on the cab, the shaker going off, etc it always TILTS - how is this possible when I basically have all of this turned off

Very confused and of course cannot play the cab because of this.

And no I did NOT do the windows calibration on it as the mjr guide says not to. The + symbol does move around on the calibration screen just fine.

#2 LynnInDenver

LynnInDenver

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Genie

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:46 PM

VPX is still assuming it needs to handle a virtual tilt bob, and the accelerometer is giving it so much motion all at once it's just going straight into "the cab has moved enough the tilt bob has to have gone off". You'll want to replace "NudgePlugIn.vbs" in the scripts folder with MJR's "NudgePlugIn_mjrAccelAndTilt.vbs" to kill the virtual tilt bob and force it to wait for the hard switch (default assignment is the "T" key).

#3 GCS2000

GCS2000

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:31 PM

VPX is still assuming it needs to handle a virtual tilt bob, and the accelerometer is giving it so much motion all at once it's just going straight into "the cab has moved enough the tilt bob has to have gone off". You'll want to replace "NudgePlugIn.vbs" in the scripts folder with MJR's "NudgePlugIn_mjrAccelAndTilt.vbs" to kill the virtual tilt bob and force it to wait for the hard switch (default assignment is the "T" key).

interesting is this on his site or elsewhere

#4 MikePinball

MikePinball

Oak Micros Pinball Products

• Platinum Supporter
  • 416 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Space Invaders

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:44 PM

The Nudge*.vbs files that LynnInDenver is talking about are in the "scripts" subdirectory of your VPX install. However I think this is a complete red herring to your problem. The NudgePlugIn_mjrAccelAndTilt.vbs script quite clearly says the following:

• If your pin cab has an analog accelerometer and a real tilt bob, this plug-in will improve how tables handle input from the tilt bob switch.  With the standard VP core scripts, the tilt bob has the unwanted effect of sending a big simulated jolt to the table physics.  If you have an accelerometer, you don't want that extra "fake" jolt, because the ball is already getting the right amount of nudge action from the accelerometer input.
  • This script plugs into the VP core scripts to disable the extra fake jolt.  When the tilt bob switch fires, VP will simply pulse the ROM tilt switch.
  • Use this script ONLY if you have BOTH an analog accelerometer AND a physical tilt bob switch.

Right now, the OP has the tilt bob disconnected so the script is not needed. The problem the OP has is a over-sensitive nudge. The slightest movement (by hand or from the shaker) causes a table to "tilt". The X/Y gain is set all the way down to 10% and it is still "over-nudging".

I have tried to help. I think the next step is for the OP to post some of his settings to see if there is anything obviously wrong. I have not come across this problem myself so it is hard to debug. We might need MJR to have a look.

MikePinball (dba Oak Micros).

#5 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:46 PM

This File comes with VP 10.6  -- NudgePlugIn_mjrAccelAndTilt.vbs
When you use a Real tilt bob you have to rename it to  -- NudgePlugIn.vbs
But like @LynnInDenver said you have name it back when you don't use a Real tilt bob

#6 mjr

mjr

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,074 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:59 PM

The X/Y gain is set all the way down to 10% and it is still "over-nudging".

The obvious thing to try is probably to turn the gain in VP down to zero and see if that eliminates it.  A gain of zero should effectively cut off input from the accelerometer, so if the problem is that the gain is too high, that should confirm it.  Then you can turn up gain in small increments until you start seeing nudge input again.

#7 GCS2000

GCS2000

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:37 AM

Just thought I would follow up on this post.

I am somewhat cured the problem via a few things.

1 - I placed rubber grommets under the board and remounted to cabinet

2 - I checked to be sure I had mjr's vbs script and I did

3 - I changed several settings and found a Tilt sensitivity that would no longer go off with any little touch and while not perfect allows proper play of the games (its probably a little too kind on the tilt (ie you can be pretty rough on it).

I am still trying to dial in the settings to get better nudging but I can play the tables w/o tilt and can make the ball move somewhat.  Have to nudge a little harder than I would like so I will have to keep tinkering to I find the sweet spot.

Appreciate the info and help everyone.  Took several hours and some fiddling but I think am there enough to enjoy the cab for a bit and work on the other issues it has.

Thanks.

#8 russkinguk

russkinguk

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

• Favorite Pinball: MM

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:41 AM

Hi all,

I have a similar problem I'm trying to workaround which brought me to this thread.

I too have a KLZ based pinscape board (which is fantastic btw mjr) and have my settings set for reasonably good nudging which I'm happy with. I'm now trying to get tilt working using the vpx virtual bob but I'm getting the fake jolt as mentioned above whenever the tilt sensitivity setting is triggered. Is there anything I can do to disable that fake jolt?

Cheers,
Russ.