LynnInDenver

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Genie

Posted 04 August 2019 - 02:32 PM

Looks like MameInABox has decided that any site TOS isn't worth the electrons it's transmitted in. He's distributing table packages now. Granted, he's linking to the sites with the individual downloads (to the relevant download pages) and giving credit to authors, which would be fine except for the "pay $20 for lifetime, and download a whole collected package for your cabinet from my site so you don't have to dick around", which is not really in keeping with any TOS he would have agreed to downloading the tables, backglasses, and media. Plus, he's got some of the software downloads on his site instead of linked, like DOF and some of the Future Pinball addon software.

The site is mameinabox. One of the members over at VPB thinks he's running under the username Major Frenchy, at least according to his video content, unless that was also stolen.

Edit: killed the link, thanks for reminding me not to send him any traffic Jaw.

Edited by LynnInDenver, 04 August 2019 - 04:29 PM.

#2 jaw970

jaw970

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

• Favorite Pinball: JetSpin, Totem, old school pinball games

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:30 PM

Respectfully, I don't understand why people promote these websites by posting it on message boards.  There are a ton of lurkers here and many will click on the link and actually join that site.  Maybe I am in a minority but, to me, the best thing to do is simply ignore these sites.

Edited by jaw970, 04 August 2019 - 03:31 PM.

#3 bassgeige

bassgeige

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 403 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Enjoyed on a regular basis.

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:42 PM

I noticed it today too. And tried to save users to spend money there for a combined download. The link to vpuniverse does not give my dB2S upload and also a different author as result back. It was for me instantly clear that a wrong link in a youtube description does force an unknown or lazy user to pay instead to say in public that an invalid link was given as a download reference. (I investigated the website also to see if my first assumption was valid as a reversal test proof.)

The case:

https://youtu.be/KgutRt5kcDQ

As other website owners should know about it too I also informed Paul and Randr.

Maybe it is time that before each vpx start a stoppable message screen does inform unknown users that the usage of each part of the software is free of charge.

These are valid links to the shown youtube dB2S: https://www.vpforums...&showfile=11264
http://vpuniverse.co...data-east-1994/

And on youtube it was invalid promoted as Backglass link: https://www.youtube....east-1994-db2s/

Edited by bassgeige, 04 August 2019 - 04:18 PM.

#4 LynnInDenver

LynnInDenver

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:33 PM

Maybe it is time that before each vpx start a stoppable message screen does inform unknown users that the usage of each part of the software is free of charge.

I suspect this was kind of part of the reason Future Pinball included a watermark on the playfield screen, and requires outside software to basically crowbar it into running in a cabinet "correctly".

#5 bassgeige

bassgeige

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 403 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:46 PM

It is up for the vpx dev and the other users to decide the pros and cons. I think it is time to stop the free riders as it does may harm the future of our hobby.

Edited by bassgeige, 04 August 2019 - 04:57 PM.

#6 Spud

Spud

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Playboy

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:43 PM

MajorFrenchy is actually a member here and has posted some useful tutorials (one even accessible from the VP forums home page).  The YouTube tutorials I have watched of his are actually helpful.  Definitely a contributor. 

Hopefully he will just need a nudge in terms of updating all his links to the rightful page hosting the downloads and removing the all in one downloads.  Bassgiege's notifying of Paul and Randr is a good start and perhaps they can apply a top down approach to getting things corrected.

#7 toxie

toxie

Pinball Wizard

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:20 AM

Even if we'd add some disclaimer or watermark or whatever, VPX is open source and nowadays super easy to setup and compile..

So i don't know if it's worth the trouble to bug all 'normal' users with warning screens and disclaimers that anybody can remove in minutes..  :/

#8 bassgeige

bassgeige

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:13 AM

The pure combination is completely wrong! The whole combination does need to be set in the right direction. To sell a link as a package is together with the misinformation for download links an ultimate lack of good sence!
It is a thin line like to be treading on thin ice. It is ultimately completely unacceptable to have this idea of a bundled service alive.
If that is not understand and corrected from the Name in a Box website owner the next bundled service will be not far away.
It is the duty from the members to stand up against the try from free riders to profit directly from free software.

#9 bassgeige

bassgeige

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:39 AM

MajorFrenchy is actually a member here and has posted some useful tutorials (one even accessible from the VP forums home page).  The YouTube tutorials I have watched of his are actually helpful.  Definitely a contributor. 

Hopefully he will just need a nudge in terms of updating all his links to the rightful page hosting the downloads and removing the all in one downloads.  Bassgiege's notifying of Paul and Randr is a good start and perhaps they can apply a top down approach to getting things corrected.

This is the actual state. There are no more words needed. https://youtu.be/KgutRt5kcDQ

Original post:

Attached File  Screenshot at 2019-08-04 11-11-05.png   449.21KB   8 downloads

Actual state:

Attached File  Screenshot at 2019-08-05 11-33-23.png   467.33KB   7 downloads

#10 LynnInDenver

LynnInDenver

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:30 PM

OK, MajorFrenchy? Setting the membership thing to "sold out" isn't enough.

You need to remove the link entirely, apologize publicly for stepping over the line (on the three VP forums at minimum, preferably ALSO on your site AND YouTube channel), and preferably refund everyone who's paid for that download thus far.

You are not supposed to repost the tables on your site without permission. You are definitely not supposed to charge for that download, it states that quite clearly on the landing page for this site that "if you have paid for this content, return it for a full refund". It counts as a commercial product what you're doing, even if that disclaimer does not specifically call out "download link".

I no longer consider your contributions to be of sufficient value, any goodwill you may have had here I personally now consider to have been earned in bad faith.

#11 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 851 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Too many to choose...

Contributor

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:35 PM

Even if we'd add some disclaimer or watermark or whatever, VPX is open source and nowadays super easy to setup and compile..

So i don't know if it's worth the trouble to bug all 'normal' users with warning screens and disclaimers that anybody can remove in minutes..  :/

Thank god for you Toxie. You are such a great example.

It goes without saying that your work is beyond appreciated.

We definitely do not want to go back to the days of forced prompts and "expired" software!

There will always be people out there doing stuff like this. So, yes forcing things on the "community" that the people who don't care can just circumvent won't help at all!

Doing your due diligence to point it out is fine. Since MajorFrenchy is a contributor to the community.... it's hopefully going to mean something to him to want to change things.

Before we get pitch forks out in these cases.... first inform them of what the problem is...give them a chance to respond and change....then carry on. If they don't change and continue on and don't care for the community etiquette, then be more persistent. Last thing we needs are Salem Witch trials here without the trial.

Kind of like the recent trend of "I'll remove all my tables from the sites because of this stuff, or because I'm offended"... what the hell does that help? It just makes getting VPX tables from "shady" places that more desirable, since its the only place the tables can be found now insteadd of the very places we want people to go!

The "take my ball and go home" crap pisses me off to no end. Thank god you Devs set a better example. You guys are awesome.

#12 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 851 posts

Contributor

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:22 PM

....and I want to clarify... I DON'T blame site owners for being pissed at this stuff. They provide a place where the "authors" and devs "chose" to host their work so people can have access to it for FREE.

"Where" table authors chose to host their content or give access is their choice (doesn't matter where)...and they shouldn't be attacked for not wanting to see it elsewhere or hosted at pay-wall sites for access.

That said, any author should be encouraged to want to host at one of the main sites. After all... all the other tables you downloaded from those places were certainly fun and enjoyable and easy to get weren't they? You learned a lot from the works of many others who have long since left the scene....but they left their work behind for others to enjoy and learn from.

Edited by TerryRed, 05 August 2019 - 07:24 PM.

#13 Armyaviation

Armyaviation

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 388 posts

• Favorite Pinball: TOTAN

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:22 PM

He can easily be blocked or kicked off this site if the owner of this site agrees that selling tables is WRONG.........????? No response to me would indicate it’s ok to do it!

#14 bassgeige

bassgeige

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:39 PM

It is important to never rush decisions but if the one and only rule to never ever sell free software was from a member from probably three major websites bypassed that I have at the moment to believe he is the one responsible, there is no choice to not face consequences.

Edited by bassgeige, 05 August 2019 - 09:42 PM.

#15 STAT

STAT

Pinball and Arcade Freak

• VIP
  • 3,896 posts

• Flag: Austria

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:08 PM

What the Hell …

#16 xenonph

xenonph

I have Pinball Dementia!

• Silver Supporter
  • 2,551 posts

• Favorite Pinball: TRON Classic-Congo-Xenon-PINBOT-BOP-LOTR-A Real American Hero OPERATION PINBALL-Millionaire-Whirlwind-Krull-NFL-BlackKnight-FishTales

Contributor

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:22 PM

How would MajorFrenchy feel if someone took all of his contributions, wrapped them up into a bundle, and asked for money for it?

Or for a small fee, we would give you all of his Mame-In-A-Box stuff?

I am guessing he wouldn't like it.

The fact that he is a contributor, should not have any bearing on whether what he is doing is right or wrong.

In fact, with him being a contributor, you would think this type of activity should have less of a chance of happening.

Like a police officer who breaks a law, knowing what the law of the land is already.

Hopefully he removes all of the "Pay for" links from all of the free Visual Pinball stuff on his site.

This community is made up of many great contributors, who spend all their free time doing hard work, and asking for nothing in return.

When people find someone making money from other peoples contributions that are available for free, they might get a little upset.

I am sure he can see why this all would cause such a fuss in the community.

Hopefully he doesn't take all of this the wrong way, and continues to contribute to this great community.

Carry on.

CHECK OUT THIS TUTORIAL http://www.vpforums....howtopic=32515
TO USE DB2S BACKGLASS PROGRAM WITH DESKTOP TABLES ON 1 MONITOR

#17 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 851 posts

Contributor

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:31 PM

Just passing this on.... watch the beginning part.

#18 LynnInDenver

LynnInDenver

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:26 AM

Definitely a good start to be had there in terms of making it right. I also see that the member link is now gone, good job.

#19 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 11,630 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Whitewater

• PS3 Gamer Tag: noahfentz

Contributor

Posted 06 August 2019 - 01:32 AM

He can easily be blocked or kicked off this site if the owner of this site agrees that selling tables is WRONG.........????? No response to me would indicate it’s ok to do it!

Seriously, dude? You can take off the tinfoil hat now. I've been observing and discussing in PMs. Lol

He's apologized and removed them. I'm not sure what more he can do?

PS - I'm working on the embedded YouTube issue right now.

IdleReel.gif RumbleDMD.jpg HS2-DMD.jpg SBM.jpg ww_logo.jpg EK.jpg

T2.jpg Sorcerer.jpg Breakshot.jpg Firepower.jpg GorGar.jpg StarTrek.jpg

My Photobucket Resources
Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can't, You Are Right." - Henry Ford
The future of pinball lives, it just needs to be nurtured!
If you're here to stab me in the back, you're going to have to get in line.

#20 Armyaviation

Armyaviation

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 388 posts

• Favorite Pinball: TOTAN

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:51 AM

Good, I am glad that you are Speaking up for us as head of the site. That is all I am asking for. As a matter of fact, looks like this site and another VP site has the same opinion on this matter. Maybe that is a first step???