#1 MikePinball

MikePinball

Oak Micros Pinball Products

• Platinum Supporter
  • 416 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Space Invaders

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:25 PM

This is my take on MJR's Pinscape expansion boards. Full credit to MJR for his great design and implementation.

I always like to improve things. In this previous thread I created my own version of the power output board. You will need two 16 output power boards to get the same 32 outputs as MJR's original power board.

After success with the power output board, I turned my attention of the controller board. I wanted to use the same pluggable screw connectors but that lead to some other compromises in space and I had to remove the four ULN2064B output drivers for RGB flashers. However I was able to make room for a Teensy and associated circuitry to drive serializable LEDs. This seems like a good compromise because most people will only want one or the other, and the hot new thing is to use serialized LEDs.

Here is a list of the improvements I made to the controller board:

1. Addition of pluggable screw terminals for most inputs and outputs. The only things left with normal pin headers are the TSOP38238 and the expansion header. There are 74 terminals in all, including:
    •     5V logic input and 3.3V regulated output (4)
    •     Up to 24 input keys
    •     16 LED outputs from TLC5940 (there is no convenience common anode output and this can be wired in separately)
    •     6 terminals for Plunger (+5V can be taken from the 5V logic input)
    •     4 terminals for optional Plunger calibration
    •     Power input 5V for TV outputs and buffered outputs (2)
    •     6 terminals for TV power switch and IR
    •     Separate power input (12V-45V) and outputs for knocker (4)
  2. Added LEDs on all power inputs (logic 5V, power 5V, and +V for knocker)
  3. Added shrouded sockets for headers to power output and chime (timed output) boards
  4. Added fuse, monitor LED, and optional diode for knocker output. The power for the knocker is not restricted to 12V and does not share ground with the 5V power input (unless explicitly tied together by user. All knocker output traces are 66 mils or wider.
  5. The original schematic makes reference to a Knocker BYPASS resistor R48 but it is not implemented. I added one to my circuit.
  6. Added Teensy and up to 8 addressable LED outputs. The Teensy support is separate from the Pinscape except that it shares the same 5V logic and 5V power input used for the TV etc. This board obveiates the need for a Teensy OctoWS8211 adapter board.
  7. Manually laid out board using only 45 degree paths and minimized number of vias for cleaner, more professional look. All 5V and 3.3V power lines are 24 mils and all signals are either 16 or 12 mils.

The annotated picture below shows a fully populated board without and with the KL25Z plugged in. Some pluggable screw headers are unplugged to show what they look like.
pinscapeannotated.jpg

The picture below shows the controller board connected to a power output board.

pinscapewithpowerboard.jpg

The picture below shows the underneath of the controller board where the Teensy plugs into.

pinscapewithteensy.jpg

Edit 9/11/19: Fixed minor typo.

Edited by MikePinball, 23 May 2020 - 06:00 PM.

MikePinball (dba Oak Micros).

#2 MajorFrenchy

MajorFrenchy

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: The Flintstones

Contributor

Posted 08 May 2019 - 02:16 AM

Looking good. I will have to try this in a future build.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

#3 MikePinball

MikePinball

• Platinum Supporter
  • 416 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:15 AM

In the interests of keeping everything open source (and following MJR's lead), I have now made the Eagle files available for download.

I made a few adjustments from the pictures above. They show a prototype Pinscape Main board with some 0R jumpers for Teensy and addressable LED related stuff. The published version has been updated with all of the 0R jumpers connected as appropriate. No need to solder any SMD resistors, everything is through-hole.

And BTW I have some spare prototype boards if anyone in the USA wants one. Shipping outside of the US is just too expensive. I can pre-solder the SMD resistors before sending them out - total price shipped USPS regular mail is $12. Send me a private message if you want one.

Edited by MikePinball, 13 May 2019 - 03:21 AM.

#4 MikePinball

MikePinball

• Platinum Supporter
  • 416 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:11 AM

Here is a picture showing my Pinscape main controller board connected to my Output Board with fuses in the Mikrocontroller cabinet. This shows 15 outputs @24V for 10 solenoids, 3 chimes, and two 24V LEDs. On the controller there are also some low current LED outputs for RGB flipper/magnasave buttons and other LEDs.

Since this picture was taken I added a second Output Board with fuses to run 12V toys such as Beacons, Strobes, Fan etc

mypinscapecontroller.jpg

Edited by MikePinball, 31 May 2019 - 05:34 AM.

#5 vizzone

vizzone

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Flag: Brazil

• Favorite Pinball: Future Pinball

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:45 PM

Hello, I already have the kl25z card, I would like to know where I can buy the controller board and the power board, tanks

#6 MikePinball

MikePinball

• Platinum Supporter
  • 416 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:00 PM

Hello, I already have the kl25z card, I would like to know where I can buy the controller board and the power board, tanks

Do you mean already built or just the bare PCBs?

I do have a controller (main) board and 2 power boards (for 32 outputs) which you have to solder yourself. I can also provide the pluggable screw headers. It turns out that I also have a set already built which I could sell you. Contact me via email via email at  o a k m i c r o s at austin dot rr dot com to discuss price and shipping.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pinscape