Vizzini

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: ???

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:38 AM

I've been considering upgrading my playfield to 4K.

I found a candidate: https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6202107

I looked at/measured it today and it looks like it would fit in a standard size cab without the bezel. It's too big by about 0.4 inch with the bezel. (It's actually a 39.5" screen.) Anyone ever debezel this model? I debelzed my current one no problem. But, these newer tvs look pretty flimsy.

I'd rather not route the sides because setup allows me to tip the tv up when I need to get inside the cab.

#2 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,146 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:48 AM

I am not answering your question as I bought the larger 43" NU7100.  I did want to tell you that I'm super happy with it though, it has less input lag then my previous 1080p LG and the picture quality is fantastic.

#3 Vizzini

Vizzini

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:57 AM

Thanks. It did look really sharp at the store. I'm tempted.

#4 Carny_Priest

Carny_Priest

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,123 posts

• Favorite Pinball: EATPM

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:00 AM

That's the model I'm looking at as well to replace a 39". I'll route the sides though if I have to. I don't think with the current TVs that removing the bezel is really an option any longer.  

#5 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,146 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:01 AM

you may also see some good sales during black friday event.   I'm not sure about this particular TV but I dunno about removing the bezel, it is thin as it is and I think they are already built not to accept too much pressure (ensure you put in a brace under the main middle part so that there isn't any pressure on the "wings"). Good luck with your decision

#6 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,127 posts

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:07 AM

New TV's are awful flimsy
This is the one i bought about 6 weeks ago off of eBay
It's a hair smaller then the 7100 series

Product Height Without Stand  --  20.5 inches  total

Samsung - 40" Class - LED - MU7000 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=5789803

-

You'll notice on the bottom right side of the TV the 2 switches and the Sensor that sticks out the bottom that's part of the 20.5"

What I did is took my router and just made a little spot for those switches to sit into - works perfect

Edited by Outhere, 18 August 2019 - 02:07 AM.

#7 Vizzini

Vizzini

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:31 AM

Interesting. Thanks guys! The salesman said new models come out after the new year and it's possible one with a smaller bezel comes out.

I've got a 1050ti, so I probably would need to upgrade that too. It's going to get pricey...again with this cab!

(I've got a nice brace/frame under mine right now. No way I'd trust just sliding it in.)

New TV's are awful flimsy
This is the one i bought about 6 weeks ago off of eBay
It's a hair smaller then the 7100 series

Product Height Without Stand  --  20.5 inches  total

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=5789803

-

You'll notice on the bottom right side of the TV the 2 switches and the Sensor that sticks out the bottom that's part of the 20.5"

I see one in stock close to me. About $500. Ugh. I don't really need it!

Edited by Vizzini, 14 November 2018 - 03:23 AM.

#8 Carny_Priest

Carny_Priest

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:07 AM

40" is not a popular size, I think. I hope Samsung continues to make one next year.

#9 Vizzini

Vizzini

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:29 AM

Agreed. I think I'm going to hold off and see what comes out. My playfield is actually 4K, but 30Hz. The Seiki. I switched over to 4K to run a few tests. I will say tables look so much better than 1080p. But, I am having issues rendering some tables I think. I decreased max textures and element details, still having trouble. VPX complaining about the rom. I'm not sure my system could put out 4K consistently without the graphic card update.

Carney Priest, you have the Seiki too? I'm guessing because you said you are replacing a 39". If you do, try to set up a custom resolution 1080P at 62Hz. I'm not sure why. But, with that resolution my screen looks much better than just at 60Hz. I don't think the panel is running at 120Hz, because it reports 62Hz when booting.

Edited by Vizzini, 14 November 2018 - 04:30 AM.

#10 Carny_Priest

Carny_Priest

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:25 AM

No, I don't have a Seiki. It's just a cheap 1080p Westinghouse. It's blown some capacitors which is why I'm in the market for an upgrade.

#11 Brer Frog

Brer Frog

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse, Attack From Mars, Medieval Madness

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:35 AM

I looked at/measured it today and it looks like it would fit in a standard size cab without the bezel. It's too big by about 0.4 inch with the bezel. (It's actually a 39.5" screen.) Anyone ever debezel this model? I debelzed my current one no problem. But, these newer tvs look pretty flimsy.

I'd rather not route the sides because setup allows me to tip the tv up when I need to get inside the cab.

Instead of routing a groove, could you route/remove a wide area of wood from where the monitor sits to to the top edge of the cabinet? IOW make the sides .2 inches thinner where necessary in order to provide clearance to flip up the monitor.

#12 wrd1972

wrd1972

Authoring Padawan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,821 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:24 PM

Do you guys think there is any possibility, we might see an OLED 43" TV? That would be perfect for Standard caps.

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade  Specs: Dell T3400 workstation with Core2 Quad core 3.0GHZ (Q9650) CPU - 8GB of RAM - Nvidia  GTX 970

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 21" Dell monitors in the backbox - Zebs Deluxe controller w/ analog plunger - Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support.

#13 Fusionwerks

Fusionwerks

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 187 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, SS, Congo

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:02 PM

I'm not sure of it is helpful, but i have the Samsung 40" 4k UN40MU6300. I think it is a generation before the one your looking at. I had to decase it to fit in a standard (20.5") cab. It was a snug fit qith no routing needed. The monitor is pretty flimsy without the case, so be careful not to twist it or bend it.

#14 Vizzini

Vizzini

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:04 AM

Instead of routing a groove, could you route/remove a wide area of wood from where the monitor sits to to the top edge of the cabinet? IOW make the sides .2 inches thinner where necessary in order to provide clearance to flip up the monitor.

That' an idea. I could probably get away with that. Thanks.

I'm not sure of it is helpful, but i have the Samsung 40" 4k UN40MU6300. I think it is a generation before the one your looking at. I had to decase it to fit in a standard (20.5") cab. It was a snug fit qith no routing needed. The monitor is pretty flimsy without the case, so be careful not to twist it or bend it.

That's good to know! I think I'd take the risk of decasing before doing woodwork with all the equipment already setup in there.

Do you guys think there is any possibility, we might see an OLED 43" TV? That would be perfect for Standard caps.

I think 43" would be way to big, no? Maybe for a widebody. Those OLEDs look crazy nice for sure.

#15 matiou

matiou

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

• Favorite Pinball: 8 ball deluxe

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:47 PM

hello all,

So I just ordered an un40NU7100 on sale, to upgrade my 1080p playfield.... I have a standard cab so I'm in the same boat... hesitating between routing and decasing... My previous screen was a perfect fit at 20.5", this one is something like 20.9"...

Vizzini did you finally go for the decasing ? Fusionwerks would you have any picture of your TV once decased ? The process scares me a bit :-)

Mat

#16 Carny_Priest

Carny_Priest

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:04 AM

Nothing to add, but please keep us posted on progress. Very interested to see what happens.

#17 Fusionwerks

Fusionwerks

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 187 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, SS, Congo

Posted 28 November 2018 - 05:08 AM

Sorry, I don't have any photos of it, and I only remove it if totally necessary

#18 matiou

matiou

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:13 AM

Ok I received the TV... And I set it up flat on top of my playfield glass, to try it out. Wow what a change from 1080p! Really excellent. Some tables are awesome! 

Still not decided about routing or decasing though :-) The decision will be for this week-end. 

#19 jpd424

jpd424

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

• Favorite Pinball: f-14 / Midieval Maddness

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:28 PM

Ok I received the TV... And I set it up flat on top of my playfield glass, to try it out. Wow what a change from 1080p! Really excellent. Some tables are awesome! 

Still not decided about routing or decasing though :-) The decision will be for this week-end. 

Hi been following this thread and was actually thinking about picking up this tv this weekend.  Planning on getting a standard size cabinet and was wondering on what you decided to do.  Im probably going to just route out the top of the cabinet enough to slide it down in from the top.  Would doing this affect the use of the plastic channels for the play field glass?

#20 matiou

matiou

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:16 PM

I'm going for the routing... But cannot really answer your question about the plastic channels as my cabinet is of an older type with a canopy style cover... no sliding glass. I'll post pictures of the routing when it's done... Right now I'm hesitating between removing everything from inside the cabinet prior to the job (all electronics, speakers and wiring) or to just protect everything from the dust by carefully taping some sort of tarp... Routing will generate a crazy load of dust!