Photo
- - - - -

dof ini config file confusion

Best Answer rlewis19 , 21 December 2015 - 09:51 PM

Success!  Thank you!!!!!

To summarize, for the sainsmart, this is what I had to do:

1. For all my DOF config files, I chose to put it in the 'config' directory under the c:\DirectOutput directory as opposed to in the same folder as b2s server dll location.
  2. I started a table and made sure the plugins checkbox was active in the backglass B2S screen.  I then clicked into detail on the plugin to make sure there were no errors.  Originally there was an error because I hadn't created a C:\DirectOutput\config directory.
  3. You must have a Cabinet.xml and that Cabinet.xml must have the serial number of the sainsmart usb relay.  I downloaded a sample Cabinet.xml that someone else created for their sainsmart.  I just edited it with the serial number.  The Cabinet.xml goes in the c:\DirectOutput\config directory.
  4. I used the DOF Config Tool, picked 'Sainsmart 1 - directoutputconfigini40' as the device.  Since the sainsmart only has 8 ports and I have solenoids on all 8, my port mappings were as follows.  (This will be different for you depending on which toys you connect to which ports)
    1. port 1 - 8 bumper left
    2. port 2 - 8 bumper center
    3. port 3 - 8 bumper right
    4. port 4 - 8 bumper back
    5. port 5 - flipper right
    6. port 6 - slingshot right
    7. port 7 - slingshot left
    8. port 8 - flipper 8
  5. I saved and generated the config files.  I put both generated config files in the C:\DirectOutput\config directory
  6. GlobalConfig_B2SServer.xml - For me I had to use this name as opposed to the name on the DirectOutput site.  The name mentioned there says 'GlobalConfiguration_B2SServer.xml'.  I also downloaded this file from the same person that provided the Cabinet.xml
  7. I think that's it.

This is my GlobalConfig_B2SServer.xml content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--Global configuration for the DirectOutput framework.-->
<!--Saved by DirectOutput Version 0.6.5240.37622: 2014-05-24 19-41-50-->
-<GlobalConfig>
<LedControlMinimumEffectDurationMs>60</LedControlMinimumEffectDurationMs>
<LedControlMinimumRGBEffectDurationMs>120</LedControlMinimumRGBEffectDurationMs>
<IniFilesPath>C:\DirectOutput\config</IniFilesPath>
<CabinetConfigFilePattern>C:\DirectOutput\config\Cabinet.xml</CabinetConfigFilePattern>
<TableConfigFilePatterns/>
-<LedControlIniFiles>
-<LedControlIniFile>
<Filename>C:\DirectOutput\config\directoutputconfig40.ini</Filename>
<LedWizNumber>40</LedWizNumber>
</LedControlIniFile>
</LedControlIniFiles>
<EnableLogging>false</EnableLogging>
<ClearLogOnSessionStart>false</ClearLogOnSessionStart>
<LogFilePattern>.\DirectOutput.log</LogFilePattern>
</GlobalConfig>

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 rlewis19

rlewis19

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Bank-a-ball

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:34 PM

Hi,

Thanks to the helpful people of this forum, I've gotten a sainsmart relay usb working and connected to 8 solenoids.  My next step is "connecting" the hardware to the VP tables.  I've read the directoutput site and also created an initial DOF Config Tool set of config files.  I'm a little confused what I'm supposed to do next.

The DOF Config Tool created two files: directoutputconfig40.ini and tablemappings.xml

The stuff I've read mentions a global config file and table config files.  Here are my questions:

1. Is the directoutputconfig40.ini the same thing as a global configuration file?  Does it need to renamed at all?
  2. I'm assuming these two files go in the same directory where directoutput.dll is located.  (for me that's: c:\DirectOutput_DOF)
  3. I thought I read where all one needs to do is turn on the plugins and the global config file and as long as the tables use B2S.server it will start DOF'ing :) .  Am I correct in that understanding?  If so, why are the table xml files needed?
  4. Is there a way to test that my DOF is working/reading the right files and know the basics are set up correctly before attempting to play tables?
  5. Since I only have 8 solenoids, is it possible to map the same solenoid port to multiple bumpers?  (ie: top left bumper + middle left bumper both fire solenoid 3)?  If so, how?

Many thanks!

R

#2 arngrim

arngrim

DJ Force Feedback

• VIP
  • 2,188 posts

• Flag: Belgium

• Favorite Pinball: Monster bash

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:25 AM

put the files in your table folder or where the b2s.server is, no need to rename files, tablemappings xml is not necessary to run dof, globalconfig file is not necessary if you use defaults like ini file with the location that i provided and wirh the name that i generate from configtool, but to be sure of what you are doing you can create

#3 Swisslizard

Swisslizard

DOF inventor & coder

• VIP
  • 152 posts

• Flag: Switzerland

• Favorite Pinball: The Machine

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:30 PM

First of all, please read the DOF docu. That should answer most questions:

Sainsmart boards are not autodetected, you need a global config and a cabinet config file. The docu explains how to create those files. There are even samples for the requirted xml structures.

The zero config approach only works for a limited range of controllers which are autodetected (Ledwiz, Pacled, Pacdrive).

You dont have to care about table config xml files. These are just a alternative way to configure the effects for tables. The information in the ini files takes care of those configs.

Programming is a race between software engineers striving to build  idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

#4 rlewis19

rlewis19

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:54 PM

First of all, please read the DOF docu. That should answer most questions:

Sainsmart boards are not autodetected, you need a global config and a cabinet config file. The docu explains how to create those files. There are even samples for the requirted xml structures.

The zero config approach only works for a limited range of controllers which are autodetected (Ledwiz, Pacled, Pacdrive).

You dont have to care about table config xml files. These are just a alternative way to configure the effects for tables. The information in the ini files takes care of those configs.

Thank you!  As soon as I get home tonight I will give it another shot.  I spotted a cabinet.xml that someone created for sainsmart so I'll use that.

In the Dof Config Tool, I think I saw a tab for combining toys.  Does that take care of mapping multiple bumper events to the same solenoid port?

1. Is there a way to test that my DOF is working/reading the right files and know the basics are set up correctly before attempting to play tables?
  2. Since I only have 8 solenoids, is it possible to map the same solenoid port to multiple bumpers?  (ie: top left bumper + middle left bumper both fire solenoid 3)?  If so, how?

#5 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,060 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra

Contributor

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:29 PM

For 2, the dof config has "8 bumper xxx" choices and "10 bumper xxx" choices, use the 8 ones.

#6 vampirolatino2

vampirolatino2

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 21 December 2015 - 04:15 PM

Good luck with the configuration! I'm having trouble with mine :(

#7 arngrim

arngrim

DJ Force Feedback

• VIP
  • 2,188 posts

• Flag: Belgium

• Favorite Pinball: Monster bash

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:04 PM

yes the combo page allows you to map up to 4 toys to one port, go to port assignment to map the combo you created

#8 Swisslizard

Swisslizard

DOF inventor & coder

• VIP
  • 152 posts

• Flag: Switzerland

• Favorite Pinball: The Machine

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:11 PM

Is there a way to test that my DOF is working/reading the right files and know the basics are set up correctly before attempting to play tables?

Open the sttings screen of the B2S.Server (Click backglass with your mouse and press S on keyboard). On this window, open the list of detected plugins by clicking the plugins settings button. The list which open now should show DOF. Doubleclick the DOF entry to open the DOF frontend. On this window you can see some information on the data that DOF has loaded.

For more details on DOFs operations, enable the logging of DOF. Use the global config editor to do this.

Programming is a race between software engineers striving to build  idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

#9 rlewis19

rlewis19

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:51 PM   Best Answer

Success!  Thank you!!!!!

To summarize, for the sainsmart, this is what I had to do:

1. For all my DOF config files, I chose to put it in the 'config' directory under the c:\DirectOutput directory as opposed to in the same folder as b2s server dll location.
  2. I started a table and made sure the plugins checkbox was active in the backglass B2S screen.  I then clicked into detail on the plugin to make sure there were no errors.  Originally there was an error because I hadn't created a C:\DirectOutput\config directory.
  3. You must have a Cabinet.xml and that Cabinet.xml must have the serial number of the sainsmart usb relay.  I downloaded a sample Cabinet.xml that someone else created for their sainsmart.  I just edited it with the serial number.  The Cabinet.xml goes in the c:\DirectOutput\config directory.
  4. I used the DOF Config Tool, picked 'Sainsmart 1 - directoutputconfigini40' as the device.  Since the sainsmart only has 8 ports and I have solenoids on all 8, my port mappings were as follows.  (This will be different for you depending on which toys you connect to which ports)
    1. port 1 - 8 bumper left
    2. port 2 - 8 bumper center
    3. port 3 - 8 bumper right
    4. port 4 - 8 bumper back
    5. port 5 - flipper right
    6. port 6 - slingshot right
    7. port 7 - slingshot left
    8. port 8 - flipper 8
  5. I saved and generated the config files.  I put both generated config files in the C:\DirectOutput\config directory
  6. GlobalConfig_B2SServer.xml - For me I had to use this name as opposed to the name on the DirectOutput site.  The name mentioned there says 'GlobalConfiguration_B2SServer.xml'.  I also downloaded this file from the same person that provided the Cabinet.xml
  7. I think that's it.

This is my GlobalConfig_B2SServer.xml content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--Global configuration for the DirectOutput framework.-->
<!--Saved by DirectOutput Version 0.6.5240.37622: 2014-05-24 19-41-50-->
-<GlobalConfig>
<LedControlMinimumEffectDurationMs>60</LedControlMinimumEffectDurationMs>
<LedControlMinimumRGBEffectDurationMs>120</LedControlMinimumRGBEffectDurationMs>
<IniFilesPath>C:\DirectOutput\config</IniFilesPath>
<CabinetConfigFilePattern>C:\DirectOutput\config\Cabinet.xml</CabinetConfigFilePattern>
<TableConfigFilePatterns/>
-<LedControlIniFiles>
-<LedControlIniFile>
<Filename>C:\DirectOutput\config\directoutputconfig40.ini</Filename>
<LedWizNumber>40</LedWizNumber>
</LedControlIniFile>
</LedControlIniFiles>
<EnableLogging>false</EnableLogging>
<ClearLogOnSessionStart>false</ClearLogOnSessionStart>
<LogFilePattern>.\DirectOutput.log</LogFilePattern>
</GlobalConfig>

#10 vampirolatino2

vampirolatino2

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:19 PM

Can you post this screen from your setup?

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

mine shows no config file loaded :(

#11 rlewis19

rlewis19

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:42 PM

Can you post this screen from your setup?

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

mine shows no config file loaded :(

I hope this link works ... https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#12 vampirolatino2

vampirolatino2

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:26 AM

Thanks, how did you run B2S without a table?

and .. what OS you are using?

I'm using Windows 10, and for some reason mine isn't reading the globalconfig_b2server.xml and cabinet.xml files.

Both of them are located under c:\DirectOutput\config folder, with 3 ini's for my ledwiz, teensy and pinscape.

:( guess I'm out of luck and will never run DOF in this cabinet.

PS: I'm using DOF R3 beta2 btw

Edited by vampirolatino2, 22 December 2015 - 12:28 AM.

#13 rlewis19

rlewis19

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:34 AM

Thanks, how did you run B2S without a table?

and .. what OS you are using?

I'm using Windows 10, and for some reason mine isn't reading the globalconfig_b2server.xml and cabinet.xml files.

Both of them are located under c:\DirectOutput\config folder, with 3 ini's for my ledwiz, teensy and pinscape.

:( guess I'm out of luck and will never run DOF in this cabinet.

PS: I'm using DOF R3 beta2 btw

I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64   I'm not using beta...I'm using the R2 version (I think) that is in the downloads section.  Did you create the shortcut in your Visual Pinball/tables/plugins directory? 

#14 vampirolatino2

vampirolatino2

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:42 AM

Yes, here are all the files: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Only difference is that now I have GlobalConfig file in config folder, but still isn't working.

Edited by vampirolatino2, 22 December 2015 - 12:42 AM.

#15 vampirolatino2

vampirolatino2

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:27 AM

Think I got it working now. At least is finding and reading the global file. I will do a threat posting my findings and how to configure everything, it's easy as randr told me, it's all true. But there are some stuff that isn't mentioned anywhere or if you do following the configuration tools will not work. Later's time for some Zzzz.

And thanks publicly to everyone that help me in this roller coaster.

ranr

Swisslizard

JamesK

rlewis19

#16 rollerball

rollerball

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

• Favorite Pinball: black hole

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:37 AM

You guys must know your stuff.
Been trying for 8hrs now to get my sainsmart working with DOF....
Its insanely hard to do.

#17 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:15 AM

For help - we will need more info

#18 gtxjoe

gtxjoe