2087 replies to this topic

#1301 ClarkKent

ClarkKent

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

• Flag: Austria

• Favorite Pinball: Q*Bert's Quest, Red's and Ted's Road Show, Dialed In, Big Bang Bar

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

I'm using this backglass:

http://www.vpforums....s&showfile=7705

And look what the last user has to report: Same problem as on my system. It really seem to have something to do with the dB2S server. But on the other side there never was a problem with the official VP releases (DX7). So there must be some problem with interaction of both, don't you think?

I still have heavy stutter in STTNG.

I set vsync to 120 and get the following values:

fps:90 avg

period: 8,3 ms (11,4 avg/48 max)

draw calls: 339

state changes: 1486

texture changes: 429

I never had any problems with ball stutter in the official releases but since the new DX9 was released I have severe problems when dB2S is turned on.

It's interesting that fps is more than enough but ball is stuttering. Weird!

So even the frame limiter doesn't help. The main point here is the huge difference between average and max frame time: almost a factor 5. The FPS itself isn't the biggest factor here. This is clearly caused by db2s, but I don't know if there is anything you can do besides just turning it off.

I'll try without the dB2S and will observe if the average and max frame time still differs that much...

#1302 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Centaur

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:43 PM

The old VP didn't really use the 3D hardware much, so I guess there wasn't much of a conflict with db2s. Now they are both competing for the GPU, so more interactions happen. Probably db2s will have to be more optimized or use a frame limiter itself to improve this situation.

#1303 ClarkKent

ClarkKent

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Q*Bert's Quest, Red's and Ted's Road Show, Dialed In, Big Bang Bar

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

I just tried a different STTNG backglass (http://www.vpforums....s&showfile=9330).

There is no stutter with this one. 2,2 avg/12,2 max (but the max vary from 2,2 to 12,2 heavily). But it seems that higher values (like 48 max in my last test with the other backglass) causes stutter, lower values not.

Maybe you can investigate as both backglasses are online here in the forum and you can try yourself. Would be interesting if you have similar experiences!

#1304 LoadedWeapon

LoadedWeapon

The Night Owl..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek TNG

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:08 PM

Well SSTNG is my fav table and gets played every night.. And I have never had a problem with the other db2s backglass or the one I made.. As someone else suggested do you have your backglass and playfield on the same monitor?

When I first built my cab it was 2 screen both on a 660 card. Everything played great. Well I added a 3rd screen for DMD and for some reason when I tried the playfield and DMD on the main and backglass on the onboard video I had alot of studder.

So I thought it was cause of my onboard video. I went and bought a gtx 610 and then put the backglass on it.. Still had stutter.. As soon as I switched the backglass to the 660 with the playfield and the dmd to the 610 I have ran everything perfect even before dx9.. 

#1305 ClarkKent

ClarkKent

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

I have all 3 monitors on my GTX 660/2GB. But I never had problems with the official DX7 releases.

#1306 htamas

htamas

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 2,156 posts

• Flag: Hungary

• Favorite Pinball: cannot pick just one, and they change anyway

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

I still have heavy stutter in STTNG.

I set vsync to 120 and get the following values:

fps:90 avg

period: 8,3 ms (11,4 avg/48 max)

draw calls: 339

state changes: 1486

texture changes: 429

I never had any problems with ball stutter in the official releases but since the new DX9 was released I have severe problems when dB2S is turned on.

It's interesting that fps is more than enough but ball is stuttering. Weird!

Latest STTNG mod is totally unplayable with dB2S. The fps is very high but ball is jerking heavily! When turning off dB2S alll is back to normal...

Works perfectly fine and smooth for me using dB2S, even in multiball.

attachicon.gifSTTNG.jpg

Maybe you are using a different backglass? I noticed that some dB2S backglasses causing such stutter and others not. Can you send a direct link to the backglass you are using for your STTNG table?

I'm using this one: http://www.vpforums....s&showfile=7705

However I noticed that your FPS and period values are much worse than mine. Looks like that may cause the problem.

Also, I have only a two-screen cabinet but my hardware isn't too powerful (AMD Phenom II @ 3.4 GHz and a GTX 560, running on WinXP). This appears to run everything very well.

If I'm not mistaken, you have a 3-screen setup with two video cards, correct? Try to change the screen settings as it was suggested and experiment if you get better performance by driving your screens from different cards. For me, having the PF + backglass off the one card works great.

Edit: just saw your post that you're using a single card, so there goes that theory...

Edited by htamas, 14 March 2014 - 08:42 PM.

#1307 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,060 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra

Contributor

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

Just tested STTNG with the 7705 backglass.  Plays fine on my setup.  Here are my results for 120 and 240 vsync.  I don't think max ever got higher than 12.  Cab PC setup in my sig.  Using driver 331.82.  I felt playing with vsync set to 240 was better

fs.pngfs2.png

Tested with LW's backglass 9330

fslw.png

Edited by gtxjoe, 14 March 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#1308 LoadedWeapon

LoadedWeapon

The Night Owl..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

I have all 3 monitors on my GTX 660/2GB. But I never had problems with the official DX7 releases.

that is so weird.. this is mine after a full game through multiball and pretty much everything else..

i5 and a 660 no vsync.. with my db2s 3 screens plays perfect!

Attached File  Untitled.png   1.5MB   18 downloads

Edited by LoadedWeapon, 14 March 2014 - 09:27 PM.

#1309 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,060 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra

Contributor

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

Wow.  LW you get 1000 fps with no vsync.  I only get 370 fps with no vsync.  

Clark - strange that you only get 90 fps when you set vsync to 120.  With no db2s do you get 120 fps?  How about with just the new table template, do you get 120 fps?

#1310 DJRobX

DJRobX

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

• Favorite Pinball: F14 Tomcat

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

I have seen some interesting graphics glitches with hmueck's Robot though.

attachicon.gifrobot2.jpg

I saved the table and started to play, then the above diagonal line and shape appeared. Yesterday I got a different, much larger gray shape that was vertical and stretched from the wormhole entry on the top left all the way down to the left slingshot. I cannot reproduce that today anymore and I didn't make a screen shot of it.

Next time I got two diagonal lines like this (so it's changing):

This is very likely the same uninitialized vertices bug that I reported a few pages back.   It's is now fixed in the trunk, so please test this again when the next test build comes out.  

#1311 LoadedWeapon

LoadedWeapon

The Night Owl..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

yea thats why its so weird he has the same card..  are you on xp or windows 7.. im on 7 with newest drivers..

Wow.  LW you get 1000 fps with no vsync.  I only get 370 fps with no vsync.  

Clark - strange that you only get 90 fps when you set vsync to 120.  With no db2s do you get 120 fps?  How about with just the new table template, do you get 120 fps?

Edited by LoadedWeapon, 14 March 2014 - 10:17 PM.

#1312 ClarkKent

ClarkKent

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

Not newest drivers here (306 something here). Just have some concerns that FP will make some troubles with newer drivers. LoadedWeapon: which driver version do you have? Which driver version is recommended?

I'm getting full 120 without dB2S.

Hardware: i5 2500k 3,4 GHz, GTX 660 2GB, 4 GB RAM, Win7x64

#1313 LoadedWeapon

LoadedWeapon

The Night Owl..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:56 PM

I run the same I5 2500k mine clocked at 4.1ghz 8gb 660 and 610

newest 335.23

http://www.nvidia.co...us&type=GeForce

Attached File  Untitled.png   9.11KB   22 downloads

I have had no trouble with VP FP FX2 or PA 

I have seen some with trouble with FP making black squares if they have reflections on..as long as I have Aero on I have no trouble.. But I have seen others post it dont help.. I think I saw that BAM fixes that too but not sure cause I dont use it..

But with that card seems like it should run much better than it does for you..

Edited by LoadedWeapon, 14 March 2014 - 11:04 PM.

#1314 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Centaur

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:03 PM

Download VP9_DX9_test11 here: Attached File  VP9_DX9_test11.zip   680.78KB   265 downloads
Important: instead of fullscreen mode, run in "windowed fullscreen" mode.

If you get flicker, please disable 4xMSAA.

Try the frame limiter, e.g. at 120 fps, for smoother gameplay!

Table compatibility spreadsheet (thanks to gtxjoe): https://docs.google....EPwri8/viewform

This is a bit of a disappointing release because I spent pretty much all the time debugging that blasted collision issue. Still I wanted to put something out for the weekend that people can enjoy hopefully without the crashes of the last version.

Changes since Test10:

• fixed memory corruption problem in KD-tree which led to occasional crashes
  • reverted collision for static elements to use original quadtree instead of KD-tree, with some extra optimizations and cleanup. Should now hopefully behave reasonably close to original VP again.
  • fixed long-standing glitches due to habitrail rendering (thanks DJRobX)
  • compatibility fix to make lighting work properly for primitive meshes (reported by kiwi)

Known general issues:

*) textboxes don't work
*) EM reels only work in Image Reel mode, not Text Reel
*) text decals don't work
*) kickers cut the ball in half
*) some depth ordering issues remain
*) Stereo 3D only works on NVIDIA so far
*) AA hardwired to 4xMSAA, flickers
*) textures aren't preloaded, can lead to stutter in some cases
*) screen shake doesn't work
*) adaptive vsync always falls back to normal vsync (can only be supported if we drop XP)
*) stereo3D parameters are different
*) "real" full screen mode doesn't work with VPM/B2S. Instead, use "Windowed fullscreen" mode.
*) lost devices aren't handled properly (real fullscreen issue only)

Known specific table issues:

https://docs.google....p=sharing#gid=0

Happy testing!

#1315 randr

randr

I'm just a hardware guy so...

• VIP
  • 2,650 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:35 PM

Man I look forward to Friday test versions! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randr___pinball.png                         

#1316 luvthatapex

luvthatapex

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,435 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Tron

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:21 AM

i have an issue with wrath of olympus

http://www.vpforums....s&showfile=6855

when you activate the flippers, the flipper area behind the flippers becomes black

attachicon.gifSans titre.png

Unlock the RFR and LFR black lights and move then below the visible screen area and its fixed. These are not necessary anymore.

#1317 Arcade4

Arcade4

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

• Favorite Pinball: AC/DC

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:53 AM

Awesome. Another test version.

Fridays are the best. :)

#1318 vampirolatino2

vampirolatino2

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:35 AM

:) I always come here on Fridays! Let the tests begin!!!

#1319 ClarkKent

ClarkKent

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:39 AM

I run the same I5 2500k mine clocked at 4.1ghz 8gb 660 and 610

newest 335.23

http://www.nvidia.co...us&type=GeForce

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

I have had no trouble with VP FP FX2 or PA 

I have seen some with trouble with FP making black squares if they have reflections on..as long as I have Aero on I have no trouble.. But I have seen others post it dont help.. I think I saw that BAM fixes that too but not sure cause I dont use it..

But with that card seems like it should run much better than it does for you..

It's possible that the combination DX9 and dB2S uses a lot of computing power, much more than the "old" DX7 version. Maybe the 3rd screen with VPinMAME is just overloading the system - but I can't imagine VPinMAME stresses the graphics card THAT much.

We should make a small survey here: People experiencing slowdowns when using certain dB2S backglasses - do you have 2 or 3 screens, if 3 screens then 1 or 2 graphics cards and which one? I think this would help to isolate the problem.

#1320 arngrim

arngrim

DJ Force Feedback

• VIP
  • 2,188 posts

• Flag: Belgium

• Favorite Pinball: Monster bash

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:44 AM

i have an issue with wrath of olympus

http://www.vpforums....s&showfile=6855

when you activate the flippers, the flipper area behind the flippers becomes black

attachicon.gifSans titre.png

Unlock the RFR and LFR black lights and move then below the visible screen area and its fixed. These are not necessary anymore.

i selected them, press draw in front but i still have the issue