• Platinum Supporter
  • 216 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Mary Shelly's Frankenstein

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:12 AM

UltraDMD_splash_zps9b934ac7.png

http://youtu.be/xbk5aZ3cQ-Q

http://ultradmd.wordpress.com

I did not want to create UltraDMD.  I just wanted to create an original table with some DMD animations.  I have spent quite a bit of time trying to find the best solution.  Since I wasn't happy with anything available, I decided to build UltraDMD.

UltraDMD is an ActiveX control that is built around XDMD.  Most of the rocket science is in XDMD.  I am just adding a layer to make it trivial to incorporate DMD support (including support for pinDMD).

I do not plan to make this system capable of doing "everything".  I am going to start basic and add capabilities as needed.

If you are an original table author, and would like to add DMD support, please PM me to get a pre-alpha version.  I am interested in feedback as I am trying to scope out the feature set and object model.

If you are an original table author, and don't want to hassle with creating DMD animations, consider using UltraDMD.  This will be the easiest way to add a scoreboard (with up to 4 players, a field for "credits" and one for "ball number" / "game over").

EDIT (July 8, 2015):

See post #146 for detailed install instructions (thanks to RYSr).

There used to be a dependency on the Fonts folder - but that requirement was remove in the April 23, 2014 build.

Here are the minimum files required to launch UltraDMD.exe

atl90.dll
Flash.dll
libusb0.dll
UltraDMD.exe
XDMD.dll
XDMDNative.dll

Other files may be needed to do cools stuff like playing videos etc:
Flash.ocx
Microsoft.DirectX.DirectDraw.dll

And YES UltraDMD.exe needs to be in the same folder as the rest of the files.

Edited by UltraPeepi, 08 July 2015 - 11:54 PM.

ultradmd_splash.png

#2 randr

randr

I'm just a hardware guy so...

• VIP
  • 2,650 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:13 AM

Wow! This is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randr___pinball.png                         

#3 javier1515

javier1515

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 573 posts

• Flag: Argentina

• Favorite Pinball: The Addams Family, Hook

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:27 AM

looks amazing!

"Learning without thought is vain, thought without learning is dangerous." (Confucius)

"Aprender sin pensar es inútil, pensar sin aprender es peligroso". (Confucio)

Please, if you can help me with a small contribution to update my work team and continue to make more tables I will be eternally grateful.

#4 boogies2

boogies2

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Revenge From Mars

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:31 AM

Sounds really awesome!  On the vid @ 2:49 - I can see two completely different images of the scoring.  I'm assuming that's an example of what can be done using the utility.

#5 randr

randr

I'm just a hardware guy so...

• VIP
  • 2,650 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:39 AM

Could this "active x control" be used while in frontend? Like to scroll through directions of how run frontend or demos of dmd images while at each game in frontend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randr___pinball.png                         

#6 arngrim

arngrim

DJ Force Feedback

• VIP
  • 2,188 posts

• Flag: Belgium

• Favorite Pinball: Monster bash

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:26 AM

Finally a decent solution for original tables and frontend with pindmd? :D
Can you integrate videos like in scarface? Sorry i couldn't check all the video from where i am now

#7 UltraPeepi

UltraPeepi

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

Can you integrate videos like in scarface?

There will definitely be video support.  That's one of the ways I'm going to be able to keep the interface simple.  If UltraDMD doesn't quite do what you want, make your animation into a video.

pindmd?

pindmd support for sure.

while in frontend?

I think most front ends have their own solution.  XDMD support is built into PinballX, and HyperDMD was designed for HyperPin.  I am really focusing on the VP scenario.  But it will be easy, to add a command line parameter to allow passing in a video or image.

On the vid @ 2:49 - I can see two completely different images of the scoring

Right.  I had the two completely in sync, but I started tweaking how I wanted it to behave in UltraDMD, and I didn't go back and make the same tweak to the HyperDMD scene.

ultradmd_splash.png

#8 unclewilly

unclewilly

sofa king.....

• VIP
  • 5,075 posts

• Favorite Pinball: tz, tom, big hurt, who dunnit

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

This is awesome. I'll be starting some originals in the coming weeks.

So does xdmd convert the images to dots and do the images/fonts
And videos need to be sized for the dmd or does it scale them automatically

Great work, vp has needed this for years

"it will all be ok in the end, if it's not ok, it's not the end"

Monster Bash VP10 WIP https://dl.dropboxus... (vpx)WIP15.vpx

uw2.gif

#9 Xendo

Xendo

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

• Favorite Pinball: MM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

So whats the difference between this and Hyperdmd from the Hyperpin guys?  From what I understand original games can be done in VP using Hyperdmd calls.

#10 sigma415

sigma415

Hobbyist

• Platinum Supporter
  • 48 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

.....  But it will be easy, to add a command line parameter to allow passing in a video or image.

Command line parameter for standalone .exe would be great :otvclap:

Using Win7 x64, VP 9.9.1 & VP Physmod5 & VP10, unified PinMAME 2.23, PinballX 2.12, PinDMD V2 (Real DMD), I-PAC2 button controller, Ledwiz with DOF R2, Nanotech Plunger

Like to create Real DMD Videos for PinballX: Tommy The Pinball Wizard (Data East 1994).gif

#11 UltraPeepi

UltraPeepi

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

So does xdmd convert the images to dots and do the images/fonts
And videos need to be sized for the dmd or does it scale them automatically

XDMD does convert to dots.  So you should be able to just grab existing artwork and use it without much tweaking.

Videos should be resized.  XDMD allows the ability to pan over a video and display a "windowed" view into video; but I don't plan to expose this in v1.

whats the difference between this and Hyperdmd

From what I understand original games can be done in VP using Hyperdmd

If you look at the video, there are two virtual DMDs: the top one is UltraDMD, the bottom one is HyperDMD.  So, yes, you can author original tables using HyperDMD.  However, if you will notice in the video, the startup time for UltraDMD is less than 1 second (the table appears at 0:06 and the UltraDMD animation start a fraction of a second later).  The HyperDMD appears at 0:08 (two seconds after the table appears), but there is supposed to be a title screen.  It doesn't appear, so I gave up waiting for it and started pressing the coin key; and the scoreboard appears (at 0:22).  Also notice the animations when the ball drains at 1:26, 1:58, and 2:44.  The animations are much smoother with UltraDMD than with HyperDMD.  The ball drain at 1:58 looks pretty good on both; but the other two show dropped animation frames.  FYI - the timing is slightly off - I didn't feel the need to perfectly synchronize them.

Also, I am focused on providing a good solution for table authors.  I will have some built in scoreboard along with some stock scenes common to pinball.

Believe me, I would only be doing this if I couldn't get where I wanted to be with HyperDMD.

ultradmd_splash.png

#12 tspeirs

tspeirs

Enthusiast

• VIP
  • 151 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:11 AM

Great job and great to see XDMD being used. This is the kind of thing I hoped for with it. XDMD is still on the first release so if you need any changes or bug fixes let me know. Seems to be working very well though.

Posted Image

#13 tspeirs

tspeirs

Enthusiast

• VIP
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:21 AM

PS: I added a link from http://xdmd.info to this page.

Keep up the good work.

Posted Image

#14 UltraPeepi

UltraPeepi

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:41 AM

I added a link from http://xdmd.info to this page

Sweet. :)

ultradmd_splash.png

#15 UltraPeepi

UltraPeepi

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

UltraDMD now has video support. :)

In creating this, however, I realize that many people authoring DMD animations will not want to build videos.  They probably want to create an animation out of a series of images.  I want this too.  So I will be adding this capability.

ultradmd_splash.png

#16 chepas

chepas

t.me/horsepin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

• Favorite Pinball: BSD, Tr0n, SW:Stern

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:08 AM

Believe me, I would only be doing this if I couldn't get where I wanted to be with HyperDMD.

You pm'd me a while back and asked me about this?

I did tell you it wasn't cutting it, especially after you get half way - 3/4 through making a game you realize, It really wasted my time and had to scrap the VP version too. So hopefully you took my advice then, but obviously not lol.

I would use this to finish the VP game but I'm hanging on for table editing with Pinball Unit3d. Should be able to implement something similar into that when it comes, if Lou or Billbox don't add it in anyway.

Not much going on in that table at all , can you spam it up a bit , give it a stress test?

Edited by chepas, 21 January 2014 - 01:11 AM.

Bump maps are the new auto-tune :BDH:
VPX - RSS Updates ---- blog.flippingflips.xyz/en/ -- Visual Pinball No.1 (2021) . Est.2000

#17 UltraPeepi

UltraPeepi

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:22 AM

I'm hanging on for table editing with Pinball Unit3d

I PM'd BilboX and louizou about incorporating UltraDMD (or variant) as their DMD solution for original tables.  They have enough work.  If this can take a load off them, and provide a capability they otherwise would not be able to provide, then great.  Hopefully, by the time they are ready for a DMD solution, I will have v1 of UltraDMD available.

after you get half way - 3/4 through making a game you realize, It really wasted my time

Amen.  HyperDMD has some great features.  But there are reasons there are no original VP tables using HyperDMD (AFAIK).

ultradmd_splash.png

#18 unclewilly

unclewilly

sofa king.....

• VIP
  • 5,075 posts

• Favorite Pinball: tz, tom, big hurt, who dunnit

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

Can't wait for this ultrap

"it will all be ok in the end, if it's not ok, it's not the end"

Monster Bash VP10 WIP https://dl.dropboxus... (vpx)WIP15.vpx

uw2.gif

#19 Zablon

Zablon

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

Awesome. Looking forward to seeing how this comes along. I really like HyperDMD, and it isn't difficult to use (hell "I" figured it out), and it really is kind of odd that no one uses it... (aside from the lack of pindmd2 support currently). Any less resource intensive/faster responding solution is always welcomed.

#20 UltraPeepi

UltraPeepi

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

Added outline / fill font capabilities.  This will help some kinds of text stand out.  This is especially useful when displaying text in front of a video.

Added image list animation.  So you can build up a series of images and have them displayed in sequence at a specified interval.  My guess is, most original table animations will be of this type.

I am creating a sample table that will show off many of the capabilities.  Now I just need to create nice looking art to maximize the impact of the DMD display/animations.

BTW.  The video rendering can optionally play the audio.  I was planning to do all my audio in VP.  Audio that is part of a video clip, often needs to be well synchronized with the video.  I don't expect that image list animations require this level of audio/video synchronization.  Does anyone think that UltraDMD should be handling audio (other than as part of video playback)?

ultradmd_splash.png