Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

Do you still -require- NON Hardware Device Rendering in VP9.1.4?


  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you still -require- NON Hardware Device Rendering in VP9.1.4? (150 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you still -require- NON Hardware Device Rendering in VP9.1.4?

  1. No, i only use Hardware Device Rendering in VP9.1.4 (102 votes [68.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 68.00%

  2. Not really, i mainly use the Hardware Device Rendering, and very seldom the Software fallback (9 votes [6.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 6.00%

  3. Yes, i tried Hardware Device Rendering in VP9.1.4, but it's still not fast enough for my hardware (8 votes [5.33%])

    Percentage of vote: 5.33%

  4. Don't know (14 votes [9.33%])

    Percentage of vote: 9.33%

  5. ONLY software rendering works for ALL my tables (7 votes [4.67%])

    Percentage of vote: 4.67%

  6. I need software rendering for SOME of my tables to get playable framerates (10 votes [6.67%])

    Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 toxie

toxie

    VPF Veteran

  • VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,746 posts
  • Location:berlin, germany

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

I know there was a similar topic before (http://www.vpforums....showtopic=13779), but with the recent changes in VP9.1.4 and 9.1.3, i wanted to recheck, as it might ease future development A LOT if we could get rid of the old 'software' fallbacks and switch completely to hardware. And it -might- end up being faster than software mode on old machines, too!
So please try to judge only on your current PCs you use (or which you might have in a year or so) and when using 9.1.4, not the older versions!

Thanks!

Edited by destruk, 28 November 2012 - 02:26 PM.


#2 faralos

faralos

    VPF Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts
  • Location:Eastern Pa,USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Flash (Williams) 1979, Flash2 Updated




  • Trophies:

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

I still must turn OFF HD in ANY version of vp I use
or else I get the famous washout look to the play field
along with white background and at times missing flippers/ball
"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
----Steve Jobs


#3 xio

xio

    Pinball Fan

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 583 posts

  • Flag: France

  • Favorite Pinball: Recent ones rather than old ones, unlike wine

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

Not sure what to vote.
Until my new "optimus rip-off" laptop, I would never uncheck HDR. But I'm still trying to make optimus & VP914 play together, and I read somewhere that HDR off could help (for what I've seen until now, it doesn't but I didn't really explored this way).

So I should vote "only HDR, with an improved HDR" :D

#4 destruk

destruk

    VPF Veteran

  • VPF Staff
  • 6,338 posts
  • Location:Colorado Springs, CO

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Ultrapin!



Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

I needed to add two choices to your poll Toxie, sorry about that.
HD Rendering is in video options for VP --

Posted Image

Edited by destruk, 28 November 2012 - 02:31 PM.

Build a fire, vipers love the heat.


#5 Slydog43

Slydog43

    Pinball Wizard

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 3,008 posts
  • Location:Hackettstown, NJ

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Addams Family, All Williams 90's Games

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Lets move forward (especially if it makes it easier for the coders) and remove the software rendering. Video cards keep getting cheaper and cheaper.

If someone can NOT use Hardware Rendering, then they must use a version 9.14 or less, no big deal.

Edited by Slydog43, 28 November 2012 - 02:54 PM.


#6 toxie

toxie

    VPF Veteran

  • VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,746 posts
  • Location:berlin, germany

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

@destruk: thanks, makes sense..

#7 hmueck

hmueck

    MaX

  • VIP
  • 2,190 posts
  • Location:Hamburg

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: IPDB Top 300



Contributor

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

I still must turn OFF HD in ANY version of vp I use
or else I get the famous washout look to the play field
along with white background and at times missing flippers/ball


Graphic card drivers change all the time. When did you last update your drivers?
Washout: make sure to use trilinear filtering, not bilinear or "automatic".
VPX0beta tables: 29cff786951ed9c1a70fc1fa47f5e3c1.png 0cecd68ffa2537a7262337834a05bbbe.png Finish them if you like!

#8 Aurich

Aurich

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Location:Southern California

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

VP is already saddled with so much 'old' baggage, it seems crazy to me to do anything to artificially hold back development from people who are volunteering their time to do so. Especially in areas that might lead to some genuine improvements.

Now obviously that doesn't mean doing anything that will abandon the community, but if for some reason you really can't use hardware rendering just run the current version of VP for now. If things truly get better you might get tempted to upgrade! :)

#9 toxie

toxie

    VPF Veteran

  • VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,746 posts
  • Location:berlin, germany

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

So far it looks better than expected.. Mainly 'positive' answers.. But not yet representive enough.. So plz bring on the votes! :)

#10 Joe

Joe

    Pinball Wizard

  • VIP
  • 2,380 posts
  • Location:60016

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: New Stern ones

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

I have it on all the time.

#11 faralos

faralos

    VPF Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts
  • Location:Eastern Pa,USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Flash (Williams) 1979, Flash2 Updated




  • Trophies:

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

upgrade to what exactly? I use an Nvidia card and must still turn OFF HD
or else I get whiteout
okay I do have only 1g desktop ram maybe that's it then

geez Destruk you keep the slider all the way to the right and it works?
man I wish I could do that on my tower...
my slider sits two from the left side :P

Edited by faralos, 29 November 2012 - 09:56 PM.

"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
----Steve Jobs


#12 TheMcD

TheMcD

    Pinball Wizard

  • VPF Staff
  • 2,461 posts
  • Location:Bavaria

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: Frankenstein, Safecracker, Big Hurt, Four Horsemen, Tommy, X-Files

Contributor

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

Well, let's say it this way. I have both a Intel integrated graphics chip and a dedicated 1 GB Nvidia GT 540M and can run programs using a specific one. On certain tables (for instance the VP9 Frankenstein by bmiki75), I can try using hardware rendering with my dedicated card on windowed mode with a 640x480 resolution with a maximum texture resolution of 512 and the alpha slider all the way to the left and it's still a horrendous jerky mess the moment the ball is launched. Something is wrong, and I can't put my finger on what exactly it is, although my guess is the problem lies in the drivers - using old XP drivers used to clear up my problems, but now I can't do that anymore.

EDIT: Well, that didn't help at all. I updated my drivers and wiped my previous Nvidia settings as to get as vanilla as possible, and while it somehow improved my performance in software rendering mode, in hardware rendering mode we've switched from lag-tastic unplayability to something that doesn't lag quite as bad but instead has this horrendous updating problem, which just hurts my eyes. I'm starting to be kind of stumped on what exactly to do.

Attached Files


Edited by TheMcD, 30 November 2012 - 12:54 AM.

VPF's resident pinball music fanatic.

The McD's Pinball Music Emporium: YouTube /// MediaFire (old tracks) /// Mega (new tracks)


#13 faralos

faralos

    VPF Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts
  • Location:Eastern Pa,USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Flash (Williams) 1979, Flash2 Updated




  • Trophies:

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:39 AM

you are not trying to play it in a window are you?
that may be part of your problem as vp likes to be used full screen
I know with vp8 I could get away with a windowed table but not with vp9

see my settings... try sliding that alpha ramp slider all the way to the left
THEN play the pin if it looks okay crank up the slider one notch
play it again keep doing this until it screws up
then you know to back the slider down one notch
"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
----Steve Jobs


#14 Liteuser

Liteuser

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Location:USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: TFTC

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:35 AM

My desktop PC can use hardware hardware device rendering just fine. :)

I have seen laptop PC's that can not use hardware device rendering or only at very low res in VP9. So I think some laptops still need the option to play VP9 tables. They can always use the current VP9.1.4 to play the tables we have up untill now. So thats all good.

If a newer version of VP changes tables so that they are no longer backwards compatable with VP9.1.4 then some laptop users may be left without a working version of VP to play the newer table releases. I think removing the option from VP9 could be a step in the wrong direction for some.

#15 htamas

htamas

    Pinball Wizard

  • VIP
  • 2,232 posts
  • Location:California

  • Flag: Hungary

  • Favorite Pinball: cannot pick just one, and they change anyway



Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

Well, if development can get that much easier with removing the "excess baggage" of software rendering, then so be it. Do it with the next release number, be it 9.1.5 or 9.2.
For optimal VP experience, HW rendering is pretty much a must anyway... and 9.1.4 still will be able to run all current tables for those who have older or less capable hardware that has problems with HW rendering.

Edited by htamas, 30 November 2012 - 06:18 AM.


#16 StevOz

StevOz

    Pinball Fan

  • VIP
  • 1,721 posts
  • Location:Nirvana

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff



Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

My PC will render and play all VP tables with hardware rendering on, mind you many will stutter, though that's just due to my PC being so outdated. Specifications in sig below...

Files I have uploaded here...

 

http://www.vpforums....ownloads&mid=34


logoshort.gif


#17 faralos

faralos

    VPF Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts
  • Location:Eastern Pa,USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Flash (Williams) 1979, Flash2 Updated




  • Trophies:

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

My desktop PC can use hardware hardware device rendering just fine. :)

I have seen laptop PC's that can not use hardware device rendering or only at very low res in VP9. So I think some laptops still need the option to play VP9 tables. They can always use the current VP9.1.4 to play the tables we have up untill now. So thats all good.

If a newer version of VP changes tables so that they are no longer backwards compatable with VP9.1.4 then some laptop users may be left without a working version of VP to play the newer table releases. I think removing the option from VP9 could be a step in the wrong direction for some.

how do you think we all first felt when vp9 came out making vp8 tables non playable in it?
But progress continues and we have to adjust even if we are dragged kicking and screaming
to it
"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
----Steve Jobs


#18 xio

xio

    Pinball Fan

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 583 posts

  • Flag: France

  • Favorite Pinball: Recent ones rather than old ones, unlike wine

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

Yes, let's move forward (and with optimus compatibility :D )

#19 TheMcD

TheMcD

    Pinball Wizard

  • VPF Staff
  • 2,461 posts
  • Location:Bavaria

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: Frankenstein, Safecracker, Big Hurt, Four Horsemen, Tommy, X-Files

Contributor

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

you are not trying to play it in a window are you?
that may be part of your problem as vp likes to be used full screen
I know with vp8 I could get away with a windowed table but not with vp9

see my settings... try sliding that alpha ramp slider all the way to the left
THEN play the pin if it looks okay crank up the slider one notch
play it again keep doing this until it screws up
then you know to back the slider down one notch


I already said I've set everything as low as possible. And no, windowed mode is not the problem - I get the same results in full screen, it's just that 640x480 full screen makes my eyes bleed.

VPF's resident pinball music fanatic.

The McD's Pinball Music Emporium: YouTube /// MediaFire (old tracks) /// Mega (new tracks)


#20 yogiholzer

yogiholzer

    Pinball Fan

  • VIP
  • 1,870 posts
  • Location:Hamburg

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: All.

Contributor

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

No clue as I didn't play for very very long. VP 9.xx is still a mystery.
Click the picture frame to visit the pinball people gallery.