#1 dgrein

dgrein

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 64 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Adams Family

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:55 PM

Need to lower the sound on older Williams game from 1988 - the settings on the tuturial doesn't work on the older Williams games. Does anyone have an suggestions? Thanks.

#2 Ezepov

Ezepov

Enthusiast

• VIP
  • 169 posts

• Flag: Russia

• Favorite Pinball: Flash, Gorgar

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:51 PM

http://www.vpforums....showtopic=15391
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#3 ta2686

ta2686

Retired ROM Settings Guru

• VIP
  • 2,324 posts

• Favorite Pinball: ONE THAT WORKS!

Contributor

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:59 PM

For the older Williams games, you can not use the procedures that are discussed in my volume tutorials. However, there is a way to adjust the volume of those tables through the PinMAME window (the window where the scores are displayed). Now, some of these tables may have the PinMAME window hidden (due to the fact that the author was able by using lights or reels to place the scores in the backdrop) so before you use the following procedure you would have to go into the table script, find the line that says .Hidden = 1 (or .Hidden = True) and change that line to say .Hidden = 0 (or .Hidden = False). Then close the script window and click Play then follow the procedure below.

The following procedure I know works for Williams System 11 and 11A tables. The options will vary between different MPU versions, however there are similar channel adjustments to the ones I will show here that you can do to adjust the volume:

1. Click on the PinMAME window with the mouse
2. Press the tilde key(~). You will see a white box inside the PinMAME window.
3. Using the up and down arrow keys, scroll through the options in the white box until you see YM2151 #0 Ch. 1 in the white box
4. Using the left and right arrow keys, adjust the volume of this channel. The left arrow lowers the volume, the right arrow raises the volume.
5. Using the up and down arrow keys, scroll through the options in the white box until you see YM2151 #0 Ch. 2 in the white box
6. Repeat step 4 to adjust the volume of this channel
7. Using the up and down arrow keys, scroll through the options in the white box until you see DAC #0 in the white box
8. Repeat step 4 to adjust the volume of this channel
9. Using the up and down arrow keys, scroll through the options in the white box until you see DAC #1 in the white box
10. Repeat step 4 to adjust the volume of this channel
11. Using the up and down arrow keys, scroll through the options in the white box until you see HC55516 #0 in the white box
12. Repeat step 4 to adjust the volume of this channel
13. Using the up and down arrow keys, scroll through the options in the white box until you see HC55516 #1 in the white box
14. Repeat step 4 to adjust the volume of this channel
15. Press the tilde key(~) to close the white box
16. Click anywhere on the table to return focus to the table

This procedure should work for the following tables:

Williams System 11 tables:
High Speed, Grand Lizard, Road Kings

Williams System 11A tables:
Pin*Bot, Millionaire, F-14 Tomcat, Fire!, Fire! Champagne Edition, Big Guns (11A versions)

This procedure should also work on Geiger conversion kit La Retata.

After you make the adjustments, when you exit the table and go back to the editor, when you close the table you do not have to resave the table if you do not want the PinMAME window to still be displayed when you next play the table.

Hope this helps.

QUOTE (Ezepov @ Sep 24 2011, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! I forgot I made that post in that thread! Thanks Ezepov!

dblthumb.gif

Edited by ta2686, 24 September 2011 - 11:55 PM.

Need to set or reset replay levels on a particular table? These guides will help you:

For Non-DMD tables: Guide to reset replay levels on non-DMD tables

For DMD tables: Guide to set replay levels on DMD tables

Need to change the number of balls per game on a particular table? These guides will help you:

For Non-DMD tables: Guide to set number of balls per game on non-DMD tables

For DMD tables: Guide to set number of balls per game on DMD tables

Need to adjust the volume on DMD based tables? This guide will help you:

Guide to adjust volume on DMD tables

An alphabetical listing of VPM emulated tables with their MPU and links to their specific replay level, balls per game and volume adjustment procedures can be downloaded as an Excel spreadsheet from this link:

Excel Spreadsheet of VPM emulated tables

#4 dgrein

dgrein

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 64 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Adams Family

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (ta2686 @ Sep 24 2011, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the older Williams games, you can not use the procedures that are discussed in my volume tutorials. However, there is a way to adjust the volume of those tables through the PinMAME window (the window where the scores are displayed). Now, some of these tables may have the PinMAME window hidden (due to the fact that the author was able by using lights or reels to place the scores in the backdrop) so before you use the following procedure you would have to go into the table script, find the line that says .Hidden = 1 (or .Hidden = True) and change that line to say .Hidden = 0 (or .Hidden = False). Then close the script window and click Play then follow the procedure below.

The following procedure I know works for Williams System 11 and 11A tables. The options will vary between different MPU versions, however there are similar channel adjustments to the ones I will show here that you can do to adjust the volume:

3. Using the up and down arrow keys, scroll through the options in the white box until you see YM2151 #0 Ch. 1 in the white box
4. Using the left and right arrow keys, adjust the volume of this channel. The left arrow lowers the volume, the right arrow raises the volume.
5. Using the up and down arrow keys, scroll through the options in the white box until you see YM2151 #0 Ch. 2 in the white box
7. Using the up and down arrow keys, scroll through the options in the white box until you see DAC #0 in the white box
9. Using the up and down arrow keys, scroll through the options in the white box until you see DAC #1 in the white box
11. Using the up and down arrow keys, scroll through the options in the white box until you see HC55516 #0 in the white box
13. Using the up and down arrow keys, scroll through the options in the white box until you see HC55516 #1 in the white box

Pin*Bot, Millionaire, F-14 Tomcat, Fire!, Fire! Champagne Edition, Big Guns (11A versions)

After you make the adjustments, when you exit the table and go back to the editor, when you close the table you do not have to resave the table if you do not want the PinMAME window to still be displayed when you next play the table.

Hope this helps.

dblthumb.gif

QUOTE (ta2686 @ Sep 24 2011, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hope this helps.

dblthumb.gif

Thanks for the help - greatly appreciated.

#5 bietekwiet

bietekwiet

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Bride of Pinbot, Batman Data East, Black Knight 2000

Posted 05 November 2020 - 03:06 PM

I tried this on Black Knight 2000 to no avail. The tilde ~ key doesn't do anything.

#6 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 05 November 2020 - 06:35 PM

I tried this on Black Knight 2000 to no avail. The tilde ~ key doesn't do anything.

You have to click on the pinmame DMD window, then hit Tilde
works just like arcade MAME

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#7 HiRez00

HiRez00

VPX / Pinball Contributor

• Silver Supporter
  • 378 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Too many to list here ...

Posted 05 November 2020 - 07:22 PM

Another way is load the table so it boots - press the F12 button. A window will pop up that the default volume is set to 0 - which is the MAX. So if you type in -5 or -8 (depending on the table) to lower the volume.

Click OK / Save and it will save that setting for THAT rom, not every single table in your system - just that rom.

Reboot the table - and the volume will be lowered by whatever db (decibel) level you typed in.

I've been doing this will several early Williams and Stern tables and it works great!

Edited by HiRez00, 05 November 2020 - 07:33 PM.

-HiRez00

#8 bietekwiet

bietekwiet

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 09:42 AM

You have to click on the pinmame DMD window, then hit Tilde
works just like arcade MAME

I did that but it doesn't work on that table.

Another way is load the table so it boots - press the F12 button. A window will pop up that the default volume is set to 0 - which is the MAX. So if you type in -5 or -8 (depending on the table) to lower the volume.

Click OK / Save and it will save that setting for THAT rom, not every single table in your system - just that rom.

Reboot the table - and the volume will be lowered by whatever db (decibel) level you typed in.

I've been doing this will several early Williams and Stern tables and it works great!

Bugger, I want things louder , not quieter 🤗.
Black Knight 2000's rom music is to be played as loud as possible, best pinball table score ever (imo). Those Atari ST/ Amiga sounding tracks are fabulous.

#9 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: GOT, Alien Star, LOTR, TOM

Posted 06 November 2020 - 09:54 AM

You can always install https://sourceforge....s/equalizerapo/ - recommend installing peace too if you go this way https://sourceforge....-apo-extension/

Then you have a easy way of adding pre-amplification to all the sounds.

Some basic tip - here too https://www.vpforums...=45450&p=461709

Edited by Thalamus, 06 November 2020 - 09:57 AM.

From now on. I won't help anyone here at VPF. Please ask Noah why that is.

#10 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 06 November 2020 - 10:07 AM

ES3RaTU.png

Bugger, I want things louder , not quieter .
Black Knight 2000's rom music is to be played as loud as possible, best pinball table score ever (imo). Those Atari ST/ Amiga sounding tracks are fabulous.

It works
itD2wUw.png

For both of them

ES3RaTU.png

Make sure you are not hiding pinmame, then click on pinmame (Must be out of exclusive full screen, if your working on the playfield monitor)
then hit ~ key

VM2151 is the music synth DAC
By default it is low volume about 9%
Just turn it up, you can shake the walls if you want to, with out any extra help

Do CH1 and 2
I'd not go 100%, you will get clipping

PS, if you need to just run the ROM in PinMAME32.exe by itself
hit ~ and go at it

If you hit coin and start buttons, the ROM will start and the music will begin
then adjust as needed

Edited by wiesshund, 06 November 2020 - 10:12 AM.

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#11 bietekwiet

bietekwiet

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:32 AM

You can always install https://sourceforge....s/equalizerapo/ - recommend installing peace too if you go this way https://sourceforge....-apo-extension/

Then you have a easy way of adding pre-amplification to all the sounds.

Some basic tip - here too https://www.vpforums...=45450&p=461709

That is a neat piece of software to control and equalize sound on a gobal level. Will definitely look into that!

ES3RaTU.png

Bugger, I want things louder , not quieter .

It works
itD2wUw.png

For both of them

ES3RaTU.png

Make sure you are not hiding pinmame, then click on pinmame (Must be out of exclusive full screen, if your working on the playfield monitor)
then hit ~ key

VM2151 is the music synth DAC
By default it is low volume about 9%
Just turn it up, you can shake the walls if you want to, with out any extra help

Do CH1 and 2
I'd not go 100%, you will get clipping

PS, if you need to just run the ROM in PinMAME32.exe by itself
hit ~ and go at it

If you hit coin and start buttons, the ROM will start and the music will begin
then adjust as needed

Bingo! Your graphical explanation made me realise I was clicking on the external DMD (I really should know better! :juggle:  ).

Once I enabled the Pinmame DMD (hit F1 in the game) I got to the Rom options with the tilde key.

I only had to raise the volume of both channels from 8% to 28% to have it blasting to my Black Knights content!

Thank you! :Worship:

PS: Do any of you gurus know if it is Steve Ritchie himself who did the voices in the BK2000 ROM?

I thought I recognize his voice as it sounds similar to the voice work he did for Mortal Kombat, the arcade game.

Edited by bietekwiet, 07 November 2020 - 09:35 AM.

#12 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 10:16 AM

Yepp : https://www.behindth.../Steve-Ritchie/

Don't think that list is complete though. Pretty sure he is on the new Black Knight, ACDC and Dangerous Sports, Would not be surprised if there is more.

When in doubt - try Wikipedia :)

https://en.wikipedia...ner)#Voice_work

Edited by Thalamus, 07 November 2020 - 10:18 AM.

#13 bietekwiet

bietekwiet

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 10:48 AM

So indeed he did the voice, I knew it! :)

Steve Ritchie Fun Fact: He  got the idea for his 1986's "High Speed" table (Williams) after being chased by the police in his Porsche.

He's the OG .

#14 bietekwiet

bietekwiet

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 02:03 PM

I would like to add that for Black Knight 2000 it is also helpful to play with the volumes of the DAC #1 and #2 channels (not just the VM2151 channels). It allows to also play with the sound levels of samples (i.e speech) vs. music. With playing with the volumes I was able to bring out the speech more which is a great asset to this game. The volumes that were 100% as a default I left untouched. This might also be useful for the othert older Williams tables (not tried yet).

#15 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 08:26 PM

I would not be surprised, no. I've done some modifications, like you mention to a couple of the Williams, the only one I remember vividly is bsd, It is kind of, one of the things you say to yourself you should spend some time on, but, then there is something else that steals the focus.