soren

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

• Flag: Denmark

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:14 PM

I'm sorry if this is explained and discussed elsewhere. But I searched quite a bit without luck.

PinMAME generated sound is often overloaded way too much. For WPC this can be worked around by the software controlled output level. But for System 11, I have yet to find a way to lower this.

I'm not refering to the output level on the speakers which, naturally, can be controlled via Windows mixer or on the speakers. The damage is done in PinMAME. It even doesn't help to adjust the "level" in PinMAME runtime (clicking the display and pressing the '1/2' button next to the '1'). That's assumably a post digital scaling of the already distorted-calculated sound output.

Is this adjustable at all? Else I will suggest to look at it for future updates.

#2 ta2686

ta2686

Retired ROM Settings Guru

• VIP
  • 2,324 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: ONE THAT WORKS!

Contributor

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE (soren @ Aug 1 2011, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry if this is explained and discussed elsewhere. But I searched quite a bit without luck.

PinMAME generated sound is often overloaded way too much. For WPC this can be worked around by the software controlled output level. But for System 11, I have yet to find a way to lower this.

I'm not refering to the output level on the speakers which, naturally, can be controlled via Windows mixer or on the speakers. The damage is done in PinMAME. It even doesn't help to adjust the "level" in PinMAME runtime (clicking the display and pressing the '1/2' button next to the '1'). That's assumably a post digital scaling of the already distorted-calculated sound output.

Is this adjustable at all? Else I will suggest to look at it for future updates.

Is there a particular System 11 table you are looking at to adjust" I just tried the following procedure with Elvira and the Party Monsters (System 11B table) and I think this will work:

Click on the PinMAME score display

Press SHIFT+~ key to see a white box inside the PinMAME score display

Using the up and down arrow keys scroll through the options to find YM2151#0 Ch 1

Use the left and right arrow keys to adjust the channel volume (left arrow key lowers the volume, right arrow key raises the colume)

Use the up and down arrow keys to scroll to YM2151#0 Ch 2

Use the left and right arrow keys to adjust the channel volume

Press SHIFT+~ key to close the white box

Click anywhere on the table to return focus to the table

Play a game then to see if there is any effect to the volume and let us know if this works.
Need to set or reset replay levels on a particular table? These guides will help you:

For Non-DMD tables: Guide to reset replay levels on non-DMD tables

For DMD tables: Guide to set replay levels on DMD tables

Need to change the number of balls per game on a particular table? These guides will help you:

For Non-DMD tables: Guide to set number of balls per game on non-DMD tables

For DMD tables: Guide to set number of balls per game on DMD tables

Need to adjust the volume on DMD based tables? This guide will help you:

Guide to adjust volume on DMD tables

An alphabetical listing of VPM emulated tables with their MPU and links to their specific replay level, balls per game and volume adjustment procedures can be downloaded as an Excel spreadsheet from this link:

Excel Spreadsheet of VPM emulated tables

#3 ta2686

ta2686

• VIP
  • 2,324 posts

Contributor

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:18 PM

FYI...I just tried the same procedure with Dr. Dude (System 11C machine) and it does work with it as well, as that is notoriously loud.

One thing I did notice with both Elvira and Dr. Dude....the 2nd channel is set to a higher volume than the 1st channel. If you even them out you should be OK. I set both channels to 10% and it was fine for me. The 2nd channel may be set higher on the Sys 11s so if you lower that channel to the same level as the 1st channel you should be good to go.
Need to set or reset replay levels on a particular table? These guides will help you:

Need to change the number of balls per game on a particular table? These guides will help you:

An alphabetical listing of VPM emulated tables with their MPU and links to their specific replay level, balls per game and volume adjustment procedures can be downloaded as an Excel spreadsheet from this link:

#4 soren

soren

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:49 AM

Thanks a lot. By '1/2' I'm refering to the same key, it's just a different keyboard layout. Now I catch the various mixer settings by the up/down arrow.

The reason for the #0 and #1 for the various soundchip emulations, is, that those hardware chips have a stereo configuration. Namely two analogue outputs. The pinball audioboard was mono only and these signals were combined.

Still there seems to be clipping in some of the sound elements no matter how low the level is set. And I suspect it is caused deep within the emulation. And I think it is the HC55516 chip which is used for speech and some sound effects.

There is also a DC offset on the sound output which is switching during emulation. In effect limiting the non-clipping dynamic range even further.

There is room for improvement. I'll be happy to assist the PinMAME team.

#5 Ezepov

Ezepov

Enthusiast

• VIP
  • 169 posts

• Flag: Russia

• Favorite Pinball: Flash, Gorgar

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:09 PM

Thanks! It works with all VPinMAME tables. It should be placed in the help center.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#6 ta2686

ta2686

• VIP
  • 2,324 posts

Contributor

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (Ezepov @ Aug 2 2011, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks! It works with all VPinMAME tables. It should be placed in the help center.

Not so fast. There are some differences between manufacturers/MPUs. For example, some Data East tables use BSMT2000 not YM2151 for the audio channels. Some Gottlieb System 3 tables have MSM6295 voice channels to adjust as well as YM2151 channels. Before this information is published, let's do some due diligence and research each manufacturer/MPU to find out exactly what channels are being used and what needs to be adjusted.

(Obviously I've already started looking into this)

#7 soren

soren

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

Another improvement that might be relevant for System 11 games (and others) is a finer level control of the individual sources than the 5% scaling interval as it is now. By this it will be possible to fine adjust the emulation to be true to how the hardware audio boards sounds. Not to offend the emulation as it is now. But I feel it is a bit off compared to the real thing.

The best thing would be a level control in dB, and in steps of 1 dB.

#8 pelota

pelota

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone!!!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:00 AM

Hello,

I also had a similar problem with the sound volume. I am able to change the volume level of TAXI by using the OSD (On Screen Display) of pinmame, but the settings do not seem to be saved at all.

Is there any chance that I can keep the volume settings permanent rather than having to set the sound level every time I boot up the mame rom?

#9 chas

chas

Pinball Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

• Favorite Pinball: i played Timezone, quickdraw, triple action, frontier and a few more

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:17 AM

after you have the pinmame OSD settings you want in the dmd display **dont use F3 reset.
close it.
if i remember correct i had the same issue.
F3 reset will put it back to its original settings.
your new settings will be lost.

#10 pelota

pelota

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone!!!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (chas @ Sep 22 2011, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
after you have the pinmame OSD settings you want in the dmd display **dont use F3 reset.
close it.
if i remember correct i had the same issue.
F3 reset will put it back to its original settings.
your new settings will be lost.

Thank you Chas, does it mean that all the changes to the OSD settings will be lost once I quit the pinmame?

I also tried looking into the .cfg file but it was in a format I could not figure out how to modify. If it were in XML, I could at least have a chance to try setting a sound volume level there...

#11 chas

chas

Pinball Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

• Favorite Pinball: i played Timezone, quickdraw, triple action, frontier and a few more

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:20 AM

Thank you Chas, does it mean that all the changes to the OSD settings will be lost once I quit the pinmame?

I also tried looking into the .cfg file but it was in a format I could not figure out how to modify. If it were in XML, I could at least have a chance to try setting a sound volume level there... ?>>>>>>>

if i remember correct i tried F3 after making the changes.
im pretty sure i had to do the end key , 8, 9, 0 thing in the DMD pinmame menu again.
dont use F3.
the new settings are not lost.
they should stick.
close(X), clicked on "save changes", then restarted.

Edited by chas, 04 October 2011 - 06:23 AM.