Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family/Fish Tales/Medieval Madness

Contributor

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (mattfl @ May 13 2012, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it still not possible to be able to bring up the hyperpin pause menu during a game using this board? I've read the other topics and can't seem to find a definite answer.

I've got 4 buttons on the front of my machine, start/coin/button1/button2 .. right now button1 in a game of pinball will bring up the VP pause menu, which is useless to me and will probably be changing it, as it was set for joy8, button 2 would bring up the back/exit/shutdown menu at the menu of hyperpin, but during a game it wouldn't do anything. I was able to change it by setting it to joy16 to exit the table back to the menu and that works ok, but I'd love to be able to bring up that pause menu during a game, and then also the exit menu at the hyperpin menu. Is that possible using this board? I only use VP so I'm not concerned with FP. Thanks

edit: I figured a way to get it to work using a combination of joy16 and joy2key....everything is working smoothly now smile.gif

Also, if you wanted, I have a currently unofficial version of VisualPinball that will allow you to completely override the default PBW controls and allow you to assign those buttons to whatever you would like. (LINK) You don't have to use a different layout if you don't want, but it is available as an option (like for getting rid of the exit feature on joy8 which causes problems in hyperpin)

In addition to allowing you to change the button layout, it also has gain/rotation/sensitivity settings (some otherwise not available) right inside the key configuration menu.

#102 mattfl

mattfl

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Family Guy

• 360 Gamer Tag: MattInFL

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (koadic @ May 13 2012, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mattfl @ May 13 2012, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it still not possible to be able to bring up the hyperpin pause menu during a game using this board? I've read the other topics and can't seem to find a definite answer.

I've got 4 buttons on the front of my machine, start/coin/button1/button2 .. right now button1 in a game of pinball will bring up the VP pause menu, which is useless to me and will probably be changing it, as it was set for joy8, button 2 would bring up the back/exit/shutdown menu at the menu of hyperpin, but during a game it wouldn't do anything. I was able to change it by setting it to joy16 to exit the table back to the menu and that works ok, but I'd love to be able to bring up that pause menu during a game, and then also the exit menu at the hyperpin menu. Is that possible using this board? I only use VP so I'm not concerned with FP. Thanks

edit: I figured a way to get it to work using a combination of joy16 and joy2key....everything is working smoothly now smile.gif

Also, if you wanted, I have a currently unofficial version of VisualPinball that will allow you to completely override the default PBW controls and allow you to assign those buttons to whatever you would like. (LINK) You don't have to use a different layout if you don't want, but it is available as an option (like for getting rid of the exit feature on joy8 which causes problems in hyperpin)

In addition to allowing you to change the button layout, it also has gain/rotation/sensitivity settings (some otherwise not available) right inside the key configuration menu.

Oh wow! I will def be checking this out. Thanks!

#103 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,190 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Whitewater

• PS3 Gamer Tag: noahfentz

Contributor

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

Pretty sure all the buttons are configurable in either settings.ini or by recompiling the FPLaunch.

IdleReel.gif RumbleDMD.jpg HS2-DMD.jpg SBM.jpg ww_logo.jpg EK.jpg

T2.jpg Sorcerer.jpg Breakshot.jpg Firepower.jpg GorGar.jpg StarTrek.jpg

My Photobucket Resources
Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can't, You Are Right." - Henry Ford
The future of pinball lives, it just needs to be nurtured!
If you're here to stab me in the back, you're going to have to get in line.

#104 mattfl

mattfl

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

Another question about calibration.

After calibrating the device the little box that shows the crosshair kinda floats around, is it supposed to be static in the middle of the box? I built a mini cab and can physically tilt my whole rig about a foot or so in each direction. Everything seems to play ok, I just wanted to make sure if that graphical crosshair is supposed to be static in the middle of the box or not.

#105 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,190 posts

Contributor

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

It will always jitter a little bit.

If it affects gameplay at all, increase the dead zone in the VP editor.

My Photobucket Resources

#106 mattfl

mattfl

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (Noah Fentz @ May 20 2012, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It will always jitter a little bit.

If it affects gameplay at all, increase the dead zone in the VP editor.

That's what I figured. Thanks again for all your help! I'm putting the finishing touches on my cab tonight and should have some finished pics/video tonight!

#107 rooter

rooter

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Theater of Magic

• 360 Gamer Tag: root88

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:56 AM

* Update: the problem was with my USB ports, not with the Mot-ion kit *

I got my kit today. My machine is already up and running perfectly, I am just upgrading my launch button to a plunger and adding nudge support.

I currently have a Key-wiz and an LED-Wiz and other USB devices running just fine. When I plug in the USB cable for the plunger kit, nothing happens. Nothing is listed in the Game Controllers section of the XP control panel. Nothing new shows in the Human Interface Devices section of the Device Manager.

The only thing I have hooked up to the board is the USB cable and the cable to the plunger.

What should I try first to trouble shoot this? I have already tried using a different USB port. While I wait for a response, I will unplug all USB devices, then plug in only the Mot-ion kit and see what happens.

Edited by rooter, 21 June 2012 - 04:06 AM.

#108 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:02 AM

You tried a different port but did u try a different cable?

#109 rooter

rooter

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:18 AM

QUOTE (The Loafer @ Jun 20 2012, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You tried a different port but did u try a different cable?

I tried the cable that came with it. I never had a bad USB cable before. I'll see if I can dig another one up.

Ok, It seems like only some of USB ports are working for some reason. I put a USB squid into one of the ports and everything into that and the Mot-ion controller popped right up!

Now I am trying to calibrate it. I didn't hook any buttons to the board, so I just hit the next button every time the set up told me to hit the right flipper button. The first try in Future Pinball made the plunger too weak to even get the ball out of the lane. I adjusted the gain to .625, which got the ball out, but there is significant lag. Pulling the plunger half way back and letting go seemed hit the ball harder than pulling the plunger all the way back and letting go. Is there a way to make the plunger more responsive so there is no lag? The whole reason I got the plunger was to be able to perfect my skill shots like on a real machine. This kit seems to take the acceleration of the plunger instead of just moving it back on the screen the same amount the plunger is pulled back. It is far less responsive and harder to shoot with than just timing the shot with a plain old button. I am extremely unsatisified with my results so far, I hope it is just my settings that are out of wack.

I used the recommended settings for nudging, but they were super powerful. I had to turn them down. Now they nudge an appropriate amount, but the balls wobbles for some reason. How do I get rid of the extra shakes, turn up the dead zone even higher? I have a setting that seems appropriate for the y-axis for a single bump, but if I shake the machine forward and backward, I can make the ball float all the way to the top. It looks really stupid.

I'm off to try VP now, though I have no idea how to get started. I thought I needed a specially compiled VPinball.exe, but maybe that info is out of date. There needs to be better instructions. The calibration steps in the manual don't even match up with the calibration steps in XP, there are a lot of steps missing. What is the dead zone? Someone please explain what the gain values really do? I thought they were just multipliers, but it feels like they actually mess with the gravity.

Edit: just tried VP. I loaded up Big Bang Bar and everything worked right off the bat. The nudging was a little soft for my taste. The plunger seemed extra sensitive. Pulling back slightly on the physical plunger made the virtual one move in large jumps. When I had the physical plunger pulled half way back, the virtual one was pulled all the way back. Pulling the physical plunger past half way did nothing. Anyone know what I need to adjust? It's getting really frustrating finding directions for this in 80 different forums threads. Maybe the FAQ should be updated or this info should be in the manual.

Edited by rooter, 21 June 2012 - 05:30 AM.

#110 rooter

rooter

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:21 AM

I am slowly getting some tables to work with the plunger. I will probably make a tutorial for this as the randomly scattered code and tutorials are hard to follow.

However, nudging doesn't work at all in VP. I thought VP just supported this now? Is there code that I need to add to each table? I have been searching for a solution, without success, for a few days now.

#111 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,190 posts

Contributor

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:50 AM

QUOTE (rooter @ Jun 25 2012, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am slowly getting some tables to work with the plunger. I will probably make a tutorial for this as the randomly scattered code and tutorials are hard to follow.

However, nudging doesn't work at all in VP. I thought VP just supported this now? Is there code that I need to add to each table? I have been searching for a solution, without success, for a few days now.

1. Load a table.
  2. Be sure the Options menu is open.
  3. Check the 'PBW Accelerometer' checkbox.
  4. Set the 'Accelerometer Gain' to 6.5 (The higher the number, the more sensitive the result)
  5. Set the Jolt Amount to 1500 (The higher the number, the more force you'll get from the nudge)

If the nudge direction isn't right, adjust the PBW Mount Rotation and Normal Mounting settings to suit your needs.

Results may vary.

With the next release of VP, koadic implemented a number of new settings and features relating to nudge, including global settings. You're best off waiting for its release, before adjusting every table on an individual basis.

Hope this helps!

smile.gif

My Photobucket Resources

#112 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Contributor

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:48 AM

QUOTE (Noah Fentz @ Jun 25 2012, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (rooter @ Jun 25 2012, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Load a table.
  2. Be sure the Options menu is open.
  3. Check the 'PBW Accelerometer' checkbox.
  4. Set the 'Accelerometer Gain' to 6.5 (The higher the number, the more sensitive the result)
  5. Set the Jolt Amount to 1500 (The higher the number, the more force you'll get from the nudge)

If the nudge direction isn't right, adjust the PBW Mount Rotation and Normal Mounting settings to suit your needs.

Results may vary.

With the next release of VP, koadic implemented a number of new settings and features relating to nudge, including global settings. You're best off waiting for its release, before adjusting every table on an individual basis.

Hope this helps!

smile.gif

Actually, as far at the jolt amount, when I looked at the code, it was only in defs for the ultracade, so I don't think it actually does anything, and it didn't seem to have any effect when I adjusted it even to an insane amount...

Anyway... http://www.vpforums....showtopic=19683 <- post 5

QUOTE (koadic @ Jun 1 2012, 04:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, first things first, lets make sure we are on the same page...

http://www.mediafire...44cvxvbddxb9ejr - Build 7 of my custom compile with additional gamepad support.

Just extract it to your Visual Pinball folder and run instead of the default one.

To increase the nudge sensitivity, go to the Preferences>Keys menu. On the right are some analog settings. Try increasing the gain settings in about 100% increments... and lets start off with about 300%. You shouldn't need to with any of the other settings for the time being.

Open a table for testing, a new blank table will work just fine. Test out the nudge sensitivity, if it isn't sensitive enough, increase the gain settings even more. You will have to exit and close the table each time you do this, as VP won't read the new gain settings until a new table is opened.

As soon as you get to the point where the nudge is acting like you think it should, if the ball is rolling around on its own, try increasing the dead zone (same menu) in increments of 5 until it stops.

Now you may have notices some of the other settings in the 'Global Options' section. These are all options that can be set per table, and setting them here and/or checking the box will override any unwanted stray settings that may have crept in before the table was released. I have yet to come across anything like this, but with these settings, it won't matter. Now, depending on how high you needed to jack up the gain settings, you may find that when nudging the game won't tilt anymore (or takes a lot of nudging to do so). To fix this, you will need adjust the 'Tilt Sensitivity' from it's default 400 setting. It can range from 0-1000 with 0 turning off tilt completely and 1000 tilting at just the slightest touch. To test the settings, you will have to do the same as when adjusting the gain levels, making sure you close the table you have open and reload it. If you don't have a table open, then you will be fine.

Start off with that and if you have any further issues, I will try and help.

And as an additional note, in the Preferences>Keys menu, there are global settings to enable the accelerometer and adjust rotation/mounting, as this is the code that will be in the next official version of VPinball. Also, if you are using it in Hyperpin, be sure to rename it to VPinball.exe

Edited by koadic, 26 June 2012 - 02:53 AM.

#113 Dave Beedle

Dave Beedle

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 166 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack From Mars, Fathom

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

Well, I gav e Build 7 a try and while nudging worked I couldn't get it to tilt. I didn't fiddle with it too long though. I then reverted back to the original version and now have a problem. The two tables I tried it with now start up with this obnoxious noise over the normal noises. It's some kind of...will kinda sounds if you stick something into a fan...grinding it down kinda noise...that doesn't stop. Any tips on how to get these (Dolly Parton and ARFM) back to normal?

I tried downloading the tables and replacing them and deleting the NVRAM (for Dolly anyway). Didn't seem to help. Bother.

EDIT: Looks like this happens on other tables now too.

Edited by Dave Beedle, 27 June 2012 - 12:13 AM.

#114 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Contributor

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE (Dave Beedle @ Jun 26 2012, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I gav e Build 7 a try and while nudging worked I couldn't get it to tilt. I didn't fiddle with it too long though. I then reverted back to the original version and now have a problem. The two tables I tried it with now start up with this obnoxious noise over the normal noises. It's some kind of...will kinda sounds if you stick something into a fan...grinding it down kinda noise...that doesn't stop. Any tips on how to get these (Dolly Parton and ARFM) back to normal?

I tried downloading the tables and replacing them and deleting the NVRAM (for Dolly anyway). Didn't seem to help. Bother.

EDIT: Looks like this happens on other tables now too.

Not sure... do me a favor and open build 7 again and grab a printscreen of the keys menu so I can see what the issue might be, like what I have below...

#115 Dave Beedle

Dave Beedle

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (koadic @ Jun 26 2012, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure... do me a favor and open build 7 again and grab a printscreen of the keys menu so I can see what the issue might be, like what I have below...

Thanks. May be a day or two before I can get it done. I had to run off last night after posting and have not been able to get back to troubleshooting. I can say the only fields I changed from the defaults were those under the Axis Assignments and Global Options. the Gains I had as high as 600 percent. This was OK for the forward nudge but left and right were a bit much. Dead zone I had as high as 25 and as low as 5 though this did not seem to make a lot of difference.

Under Global Options I had checked, Enable Analog Nudge, Tilt Sensitivity (as high as 1000), Nudge Force (1300) and Rotation at 180. Normal Mounting off.

A question, do these over ride the setting on the Options dialog on a table? I have all my tables set with a gain of about 4 or 4.5, nudge force of about 1300-1400 and dead zone of 20 or 25.

Mostly I'm concerned with where the obnoxious noise is coming from and how to get rid of it! Would going back to 9.1.2 leave something behind from 9.1.2 (Build 7) that would cause the noise? I'll try putting Build 7 back in place too and see what happens.

Edited by Dave Beedle, 27 June 2012 - 05:56 PM.

#116 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Contributor

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (Dave Beedle @ Jun 27 2012, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Under Global Options I had checked, Enable Analog Nudge, Tilt Sensitivity (as high as 1000), Nudge Force (1300) and Rotation at 180. Normal Mounting off.

If you have the Tilt Sensitivity up to 1000, that means any little nudge will tilt the machine, which makes a sound when it does, so that may be the problem... 400 is the default setting, so try setting it back to that to see if it fixes it (or just uncheck the box next to it).

A question, do these over ride the setting on the Options dialog on a table? I have all my tables set with a gain of about 4 or 4.5, nudge force of about 1300-1400 and dead zone of 20 or 25.

Yes, the Global options override the table options if selected/enabled.

Mostly I'm concerned with where the obnoxious noise is coming from and how to get rid of it! Would going back to 9.1.2 leave something behind from 9.1.2 (Build 7) that would cause the noise? I'll try putting Build 7 back in place too and see what happens.

All the settings are saved in the registry, and all the additional options included/exposed in the custom build were already available (except the separate x/y gain levels, and of course the gamepad specific stuff), so if enabled in build 7, they will still apply to the official build.

#117 Dave Beedle

Dave Beedle

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (koadic @ Jun 27 2012, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Dave Beedle @ Jun 27 2012, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you have the Tilt Sensitivity up to 1000, that means any little nudge will tilt the machine, which makes a sound when it does, so that may be the problem... 400 is the default setting, so try setting it back to that to see if it fixes it (or just uncheck the box next to it).

I put build 7 back on my machine and toned down the Tilt Sensitivity and no longer have the noise. I'll fiddle with the settings and see what happens. I did notice that once build 7 was used it seemed to do odd things with the official release. Going back to that caused, it looked like, the calibration to be off; the ball would come out to the plunger and immediately roll to the top of the table and stay there like the table was tilted back. Going back to build 7 corrected that. It may be the settings I had carried over to the official release and caused it to be out of whack but I'll experiment a bit more.

#118 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Contributor

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (Dave Beedle @ Jul 2 2012, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I put build 7 back on my machine and toned down the Tilt Sensitivity and no longer have the noise. I'll fiddle with the settings and see what happens. I did notice that once build 7 was used it seemed to do odd things with the official release. Going back to that caused, it looked like, the calibration to be off; the ball would come out to the plunger and immediately roll to the top of the table and stay there like the table was tilted back. Going back to build 7 corrected that. It may be the settings I had carried over to the official release and caused it to be out of whack but I'll experiment a bit more.

So long as the global options are disabled before using the official build of VPinball (either unchecked or greyed out for the 3 position check boxes), then there shouldn't be any lingering effects left over before going back.

#119 Dave Beedle

Dave Beedle

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (koadic @ Jul 2 2012, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So long as the global options are disabled before using the official build of VPinball (either unchecked or greyed out for the 3 position check boxes), then there shouldn't be any lingering effects left over before going back.

Aha! Must have been what it was. I had left them active. This gives me some decent results!

#120 ArcadiusMaximus

ArcadiusMaximus

Quit throwing trash into my dimension !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars, Scared Stiff, White Water

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:37 AM

Hello

I just received my kit a few weeks ago and I'm starting to lay things out and test a few things. I'm looking at the supplied wiring harnesses and the manual and things aren't matching up. For starters on the CAD drawing on the harness its saying wires should be color coded but one harness has 8 black wires and one blue wire. The other harness has 8 black and 1 red wire. the pin out chart says that positions J9 & J10 on both harnesses should be VCC +5 (9) and Ground (10) respectively. However there is no wire in either harness at position 9. If I hook up the wiring harnesses to the board both the red and blue wires would be connected to the jumpers ground position. Is this correct? Does the board draw +5v from the USB now? I assume the 8 and 8 black wires should all go to buttons but I think something is off on the harness as far as grounds and +5v wire locations . Can someone post a picture of their setup? Thanks.
~ Mr. John E. Smith III Esq.