Photo
- - - - -

What should I consider when purchasing my playfield TV?

TV Playfield Virtual Pinball Cabinet Build

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Iain1986

Iain1986

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:11 PM

Hi

I know this sort of thing has been asked a lot but I'm not so much asking for what size tv, or how easy it is to decase, I'm more wanting to make sure the playfield looks as good as it can.

Do I need to be concerned with pixel density? Have any of you who have done this looked into that or was it not a worry? I've got an old 32" tv that I'm currently using to test out tables while the cabinet is building...Its not going to be used in the cabinet but I've noticed this tv is very poor quality and the pixel density is resulting in the tables being quite blurry and not looking very sharp at all. Some of the VP9 tables looks really quite pixelated and blurry on it...

I don't want to go out and buy a 39" brand new tv and find it looks just as poor :/

Is there a preference for LED?

Should I look more for 39" **monitors** over TVs to ensure good quality picture when viewed fairly close?

Are any folks in the UK recently made a build who could advise a good tv for a standard cabinet?

-Iain

#2 Iain1986

Iain1986

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:51 PM

So, for example I can get this for around £370 http://www.displaysp...n/model/fc98782

Its got average response time 16ms. Input lag 23ms and a 110 pixel density. Would this seem like a decent tv for the playfield? Is it a good yard stick to measure other tvs by? Should I look for better input lag, better pixel density...or something else all together?

#3 wrd1972

wrd1972

Authoring Padawan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,230 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:52 AM

Costco has a very nice 40" Samsung TV that is about 1 1/16 " just to wide from fitting in a standard cabinet without de-bezeling. Just a slight trimming on the cab walls and it drops right in. Its a very nice TV.

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade  Specs: Dell T3400 workstation with Core2 Quad core 3.0GHZ (Q9650) CPU - 8GB of RAM - Nvidia  GTX 970

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 21" Dell monitors in the backbox - Pinscape dual boards - Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support.

#4 Nemo

Nemo

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,283 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:21 PM

You'd better combine that sammy with a beefy gpu as it's 4K. As for panel tech it's a VA panel, they are not bad at all. 

If you want less input-lag it's better to go for a monitor like iilyama 40"4K ( i have that one and it's gorgeous)

That said, i'm still waiting on native Hi refresh rate 4K panel's in 40" (120/144Hz Native).....

Gone fishin', no really.......

My F14 Cab http://www.vpforums....showtopic=21820

My Coffee Table http://www.vpforums....topic=25407&hl=

My Jukebox WIP http://www.vpforums....topic=23825&hl=

#5 Iain1986

Iain1986

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:18 PM

Even though it's 4K I assume I can just output 1080p and upgrade to a beefy gpu down the line?

Only have a GTX 770 at the mo.

#6 cabuford

cabuford

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Creature from the Black Lagoon

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:30 AM

I got a 40" Samsung from Best Buy at Christmas UN40KU6290FXZA. It was $300.  It fits perfectly in a regular cabinet when decased. It's 4k but I'm running it at 1080p until I can afford a dedicated gaming computer. Lag seems fine. I only really notice when I switch from real pinball to virtual. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TV, Playfield, Virtual Pinball, Cabinet, Build