Photo
- - - - -

Issues with VPX not letting me reassign controls to new virtuapin buttons - please help :)

Visual Pinball Support Help

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 lanshark079

lanshark079

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Cyclone

Posted 05 June 2023 - 09:46 PM

Greetings All!

My friend and I have been working on DIY cabinets and have been successful in getting them up and running with the following components:

1. PinUP Baller MegaInstaller with Jan 2023 patch.
  2. Updated 32-bit and 64-bit versions of VPX (after install)
  3. VirtuaPin connector recognized and working in system (using their calibration program)
  4. Updated b2s server to 2.0.2
  5. Windows 11 base (yea, I know, it throws a wrinkle, but it was free with the system)
  6. NO JOY2KEY :)

I've been playing several tables for months and everything's been working great.  We decided to wire up the coin slots to act as an "insert coin" button (moved old wire to those buttons and wired new button to VirtuaPin) to polish the cabinet a bit.  The new buttons work great, so I thought it might not be a bad idea to reassign my buttons in Visual Pinball X now that I had freed up an old button.  I went into VPX, into the "Configure Keys, Nudge, and DOF" option, and changed the Buttons in the dropdown to match the new button #s (using VirtuaPin app as a reference guide).  I then pressed OK, exited out of the program, then reopened it with a table -

For some reason, the new button assignments did not work, but the old ones still did?!?

I've tried multiple tables (both non-ROM and ROM tables), with and without PinUP loaded as the front end, and tried clearing out the button presses with no luck.  In the settings, the changes are saving and show up when I look inside of VPX, but do not seem to correlate when actually playing a table.  Here's the things I've tried in my research:

• Checked button assignments in registry (shows the new button mappings)
  • Checked the VPMKeys.vbs file (no direct input button options?)
  • Changed the keyboard key mappings - those changed just fine
  • Reassigned the buttons in PinUP - those worked just fine as well
  • Tried to use "Override Defaults" option - no change in behavior

Funny enough, when searching the forums, I found one other person who complained about this weird behavior - 

https://www.vpforums...showtopic=46094

However, it doesn't seem to necessarily have applicable fix to my situation, as I'd rather not setup joy2key to map my VirtuaPin controls to keyboard strokes.  Any ideas from the community before I do a reinstall?  Thanks in advance for any and all help - this community is awesome :)

It won't let me paste an image of my key settings, but you can view them on this link:

https://pasteboard.co/QqRseqT9xTyM.png

Edited by lanshark079, 05 June 2023 - 09:47 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Visual Pinball, Support, Help