Photo
- - - - -

Is there a way to test a backglass without a cabinet?

backglass

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CrimsonTurtle8

CrimsonTurtle8

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Theatre of Magic

Posted 13 March 2024 - 02:20 PM

Idk why I didn't think to ask before, but can I test a B2S backglass integretated into the script of a VP table with dual monitors or something? Or one monitor? I have no cabinet to test it with and no interest in buying one, but everyone always requests a backglass so I feel like I have to integrate one. I'd love to be able to actually test it myself before uploading. Thanks!

#2 hmueck

hmueck

MaX

• VIP
  • 2,189 posts

• Favorite Pinball: IPDB Top 300

Contributor

Posted 13 March 2024 - 03:36 PM

B2S is not limited to cabinets. It can be used on 1-screen setups without a problem.
Just make the B2S a small window so it fits beside your table.

VPX0beta tables: 29cff786951ed9c1a70fc1fa47f5e3c1.png 0cecd68ffa2537a7262337834a05bbbe.png Finish them if you like!

#3 xenonph

xenonph

I have Pinball Fever!

• VIP
  • 3,918 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: TRON Classic-Congo-Xenon-PINBOT-BOP-LOTR-A Real American Hero OPERATION PINBALL-Millionaire-Whirlwind-Krull-NFL-BlackKnight-FishTales

Contributor

Posted 14 March 2024 - 03:31 AM

Idk why I didn't think to ask before, but can I test a B2S backglass integretated into the script of a VP table with dual monitors or something? Or one monitor? I have no cabinet to test it with and no interest in buying one, but everyone always requests a backglass so I feel like I have to integrate one. I'd love to be able to actually test it myself before uploading. Thanks!

Your 3rd and 4th numbers down on your Screenres.txt file represent the size of backglass. (Try setting both of these lines to 400 if using 1 screen setup.)

Your 5th number down on the Screenres.txt file is the monitor where the backglass is displayed. (Set this to 1 to have backglass on same screen as table.)

Make sure you have Disable B2S uncheckmarked in Preferences, Video/Graphics Options.

CHECK OUT THIS TUTORIAL http://www.vpforums....howtopic=32515
TO USE DB2S BACKGLASS PROGRAM WITH DESKTOP TABLES ON 1 MONITOR

#4 CrimsonTurtle8

CrimsonTurtle8

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 March 2024 - 07:04 PM

B2S is not limited to cabinets. It can be used on 1-screen setups without a problem.

I guess I knew even less about this than I thought. I don't know how to launch a B2S file by itself or anywhere. Lmao

#5 xenonph

xenonph

I have Pinball Fever!

• VIP
  • 3,918 posts

• Favorite Pinball: TRON Classic-Congo-Xenon-PINBOT-BOP-LOTR-A Real American Hero OPERATION PINBALL-Millionaire-Whirlwind-Krull-NFL-BlackKnight-FishTales

Contributor

Posted 14 March 2024 - 08:01 PM

I guess I knew even less about this than I thought. I don't know how to launch a B2S file by itself or anywhere. Lmao

First you need to make sure you have the B2S Backglass Server program installed.

If not, you can download it here...

https://www.vpforums...&showfile=12553

Place the contents of zip into your tables folder.

Now run the B2SBackglassServerRegisterApp.exe to register the app. (You will need at least NET Framework 4.0 for this to work,)

Now name the backglass file the same as the table file name, and place both in Tables folder.

There should also be a Screenres.txt file in Tables folder.

Now you should be able to run table and with working backglass.

#6 CrimsonTurtle8

CrimsonTurtle8

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 01:29 AM

First you need to make sure you have the B2S Backglass Server program installed.

Now run the B2SBackglassServerRegisterApp.exe to register the app. (You will need at least NET Framework 4.0 for this to work,)

Now name the backglass file the same as the table file name, and place both in Tables folder.

Do I absolutely need Visual PinMAME installed for the B2S to work? I can't get it to work for the life of me then I saw that you said this is all assuming PinMAME is already installed, which I never really had a reason to do. But if it needs it, I can try. Should the backglass file be EXACTLY the same title as the table or should I leave the .direct2bs file extension? Thanks for your help!

#7 xenonph

xenonph

I have Pinball Fever!

• VIP
  • 3,918 posts

Contributor

Posted 17 March 2024 - 03:17 AM

Do I absolutely need Visual PinMAME installed for the B2S to work? I can't get it to work for the life of me then I saw that you said this is all assuming PinMAME is already installed, which I never really had a reason to do. But if it needs it, I can try. Should the backglass file be EXACTLY the same title as the table or should I leave the .direct2bs file extension? Thanks for your help!

If the table is rom controlled, then VPinMAME needs to be installed to get table working. (I don't recall telling you this before,)

Do not copy the extensions, just the file name.

#8 CrimsonTurtle8

CrimsonTurtle8

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 03:58 AM

If the table is rom controlled, then VPinMAME needs to be installed to get table working. (I don't recall telling you this before,)

Do not copy the extensions, just the file name.

Sorry it was in your extended tutorial. I'm not using a rom so I'm not sure why it's not working. I'll keep messing with it and see if I can get it to come up. I appreciate your help.

#9 unclewilly

unclewilly

sofa king.....

• VIP
  • 5,084 posts

• Favorite Pinball: tz, tom, big hurt, who dunnit

Posted 17 March 2024 - 07:52 PM

LoadEM in the script as well as loading the controller.vbs

Download and look at any of jpsalas original table. You load the controller.vbs and then call LoadEM in the table init.
LoadEM allows you to send b2s commands to the backglass without pinmame.
So depending on your script the b2s will or will not load

"it will all be ok in the end, if it's not ok, it's not the end"

Monster Bash VP10 WIP https://dl.dropboxus... (vpx)WIP15.vpx

uw2.gif

#10 CrimsonTurtle8

CrimsonTurtle8

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 01:12 PM

LoadEM in the script as well as loading the controller.vbs

Download and look at any of jpsalas original table. You load the controller.vbs and then call LoadEM in the table init.
LoadEM allows you to send b2s commands to the backglass without pinmame.
So depending on your script the b2s will or will not load

Oh okay, what specifically do I type in the table init??I don't know anything about it unfortunately. LoadEM by itself clearly isn't right because it's just black text hahah. Thanks for your help.

#11 Fusionwerks

Fusionwerks

Poorly recovering pinball addict

• Platinum Supporter
  • 348 posts

• Favorite Pinball: JP (DE), Elvira's HoH, ToM

Posted 18 March 2024 - 02:02 PM

LoadEM is correct. Just add it inside the Table_Init:

Sub Table1_Init()
    LoadEM
    Dim i
    Randomize
    rest of stuff......

#12 unclewilly

unclewilly

sofa king.....

• VIP
  • 5,084 posts

• Favorite Pinball: tz, tom, big hurt, who dunnit

Posted 18 March 2024 - 02:17 PM

That is correct for the table init.
Above that in the script there should be a statement that calls the controller.vbs i believe it is and executeglobal ...... I can't remember off the top of my head. But if you look at jps tables you'll see it. You may also want to load the core.vbs to get extrat functionality for the table like captive ball or magnet classes

"it will all be ok in the end, if it's not ok, it's not the end"

Monster Bash VP10 WIP https://dl.dropboxus... (vpx)WIP15.vpx

uw2.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: backglass