Jump to content



Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

VP9 physics versus VP8 physics, are they better?


  • Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Poll: Are VP 9 Physics Better Than VP 8? (918 member(s) have cast votes)

Are VP 9 Physics Better Than VP 8?

  1. Yes (427 votes [46.51%])

    Percentage of vote: 46.51%

  2. No (111 votes [12.09%])

    Percentage of vote: 12.09%

  3. Haven't tried VP 9 (380 votes [41.39%])

    Percentage of vote: 41.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 ValamirCleaver

ValamirCleaver

    Phoenix... rise... Raise your head... to the sky

  • Charter Member
  • 511 posts
  • Location:So Cal

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Theatre of Magic, Circus Voltaire, Getaway: High Speed 2

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (1234fd @ Mar 30 2009, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry if this a stupid question, but where can I find this "default table"?


It's the one that comes with a full install of VP; the High Speed clone, Top Speed.

Edited by ValamirCleaver, 30 March 2009 - 09:30 PM.


#42 FDSystems

FDSystems

    Eclectic end-user

  • Charter Member
  • 2,477 posts
  • Location:Bahia

  • Flag: Brazil

  • Favorite Pinball: I will have to find out again.............

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

Sorry if this a stupid question, but where can I find this "default table"?

It's the one that comes with a full install of VP; the High Speed clone, Top Speed

I have VP8/VPM installed with the VIP, downloaded the VP9.exe & put it in my VP folder.I renamed both VPs & launch them with VPMan.
How can I get hold of this "default table", without messing up my instalation wich works like a deream? think.gif


From Brasil. Updated version of 1234fd



#43 ValamirCleaver

ValamirCleaver

    Phoenix... rise... Raise your head... to the sky

  • Charter Member
  • 511 posts
  • Location:So Cal

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Theatre of Magic, Circus Voltaire, Getaway: High Speed 2

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:19 PM

@ 1234fd
A normal, full installation of VP includes the default table. If you used an alternate installer and the default table is not included, then I suppose you would have to ask the author/maintainer of that installer.

#44 bluto

bluto

    Gramps

  • Charter Member
  • 618 posts
  • Location:Aurora Ont.

  • Flag: Canada

  • Favorite Pinball: Cactus Canyon

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

Isn't default table just a new Window for designing and creating a table ?
Isn't that what loads with
"C:\Program Files\Visual Pinball\VPinball8.1.exe"
Hi to all members.
I'm From Aurora,Ontario
I am 76 in 2010
---------------------------
Please post in the
right Forum
ABOUT TOPIC
NOT ME,OK






#45 Proginoskes

Proginoskes

    Enthusiast

  • VIP
  • 104 posts
  • Location:Tempe, AZ, not Mesa!!!

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: MAGMA



Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:41 AM


Actually, that's what I thought the "default table" was. (This probably makes my sarcastic remark about using it to judge VP physics a lot more understandable.)

--- christoPheR heckman

I'm not a person who goes to work. I am my work. I'm in there. I'm in the middle of that whole thing. That's what I do. It's not a separate entity.
Posted Image

#46 FDSystems

FDSystems

    Eclectic end-user

  • Charter Member
  • 2,477 posts
  • Location:Bahia

  • Flag: Brazil

  • Favorite Pinball: I will have to find out again.............

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (destruk @ Mar 28 2009, 04:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, All is all encompassing. Most VP8 single level playfield game will run on both VP8 and VP9. The new default table runs on both. To simply compare physics you have 3 different physics models to choose from - VP8.1 VP Physics, VP8.1 Ultracade Physics, and VP9 Ultracade Physics.

So realistically, the question should be approached by comparing the ball movement, which anyone can easily see by simply running the table and playing a few games.
dblthumb.gif dblthumb.gif dblthumb.gif otvclap.gif otvclap.gif otvclap.gif



"Sorry if this a stupid question, but where can I find this "default table"?"

It's the one that comes with a full install of VP; the High Speed clone, Top Speed.

"I have VP8/VPM installed with the VIP, downloaded the VP9.exe & put it in my VP folder.I renamed both VPs & launch them with VPMan."
"How can I get hold of this "default table", without messing up my instalation wich works like a dream?" think.gif

@ 1234fd
A normal, full installation of VP includes the default table. If you used an alternate installer and the default table is not included, then I suppose you would have to ask the author/maintainer of that installer.



I made a complete install of VP* on top of my actual installation, then add the two tables, Tutorial & Top Speed in VPMan.

I will now test them with VP8.1 VP Physics, VP8.1 Ultracade Physics, and VP9 Ultracade Physics & eventually will be able to answer on my own to my original question!(I have not voted yet.) dblthumb.gif

Special thanks to DESTRUK, JPSalas, Valamir CLeaver & Noah. dblthumb.gif

Edited by 1234fd, 01 April 2009 - 08:41 PM.

From Brasil. Updated version of 1234fd



#47 Jive

Jive

    The crazy frenchman

  • VIP
  • 138 posts
  • Location:Manaus (Amazonie)

  • Flag: Brazil

  • Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones & Monster Bash



Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:35 AM

Sorry, but I tried to adapt my v1.1 of Monster Bash, and it is Terrificly horrible !!!
- Reels are rendered no matter how (in front, in back, randomly)
- Walls hiding reels don't have the same physical position and are no more perfectly invisible and making the reels "solid"
- ramps are no more using the selected color
- rings are no more perfectly adapted to the ramps (they are larger!!!!!!!!)
- the spinner of Igor is no more rendered and is staying invisible.
- The dropable walls in front of the feet of Frank are invisible (I guess that they are hidden by the decal...)

sad.gif

Conclusion : I stop to use vp9, for now, until all the problems are solved twiddling.gif

Thus, the physic is fantastic !!!!

Edited by Jive, 04 April 2009 - 02:38 AM.

I don't care to have but to give, I don't care to be if I can't share what I am and what I have

Posted Image


#48 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

    'Rasslin' Fan

  • VPF Administrator
  • 12,282 posts
  • Location:South Lyon, MI

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Whitewater

  • PS3 Gamer Tag: noahfentz


Contributor

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:44 AM

QUOTE (yogiholzer @ Mar 30 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still didn't care about VP9xx and didn't test/try. From everything I've read about and understand, it's either for 16:9 or 16:10, or for upright/vertical on actual hardware.

As I don't have any cabinet and dual display, but 4:3 resolution on 18.6" LCD display (without pivot) on outdated hardware (AMD Athlon XP 3200+, 2 GB ram, nvidia geforce 6200) running XP SP3, I didn't think VP9xx is anything to try at all.

If you think I'm wrong, please let me know. Please try to explain in easy words, as I need to translate and understand. Thank you.


No doubt in my mind you can run it. It is NOT just for cabinets! It's for 4:3 tables, too. I use it, and I love it!


QUOTE (Jive @ Apr 3 2009, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, but I tried to adapt my v1.1 of Monster Bash, and it is Terrificly horrible !!!
- Reels are rendered no matter how (in front, in back, randomly)
- Walls hiding reels don't have the same physical position and are no more perfectly invisible and making the reels "solid"
- ramps are no more using the selected color
- rings are no more perfectly adapted to the ramps (they are larger!!!!!!!!)
- the spinner of Igor is no more rendered and is staying invisible.
- The dropable walls in front of the feet of Frank are invisible (I guess that they are hidden by the decal...)

sad.gif

Conclusion : I stop to use vp9, for now, until all the problems are solved twiddling.gif

Thus, the physic is fantastic !!!!


Mind if I check out what you changed?

Upload it somewhere and PM me the link. It may be your system, not VP 9. It does require a higher end system to run properly.

IdleReel.gif RumbleDMD.jpg HS2-DMD.jpg SBM.jpg ww_logo.jpg EK.jpg

 
T2.jpg Sorcerer.jpg Breakshot.jpg Firepower.jpg GorGar.jpg StarTrek.jpg


My Photobucket Resources
Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can't, You Are Right." - Henry Ford
The future of pinball lives, it just needs to be nurtured!
If you're here to stab me in the back, you're going to have to get in line.


#49 SunWizard

SunWizard

    Enthusiast

  • VIP
  • 186 posts
  • Location:N. CO

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: Cactus Canyon, Tommy



Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE (Noah Fentz @ Apr 3 2009, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It may be your system, not VP 9. It does require a higher end system to run properly.

I disagree. I have a 9 year old 2.4ghz machine, with a 64mb nvidia MX420 graphics card (AGP4x) and VP9 works better than VP8 in all respects. (hardware rendering off.) I have converted about 25 of my favorite VP8 tables including some that had some ball stutter under multiball (like LOTR from JPG pins, a very fast table), and they have no stutter on VP9. I think there is something besides how "high end" your system is.

Anyone who wants a quick and easy comparison, load up my VP9 cactus canyon you download from here, play a game, and then compare with PacDude's version on VP8 that it was based on. You should see a huge improvement in play, even after 1 game, I know I sure do on my ancient PC.

Edited by SunWizard, 04 April 2009 - 03:46 AM.


#50 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

    'Rasslin' Fan

  • VPF Administrator
  • 12,282 posts
  • Location:South Lyon, MI

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Whitewater

  • PS3 Gamer Tag: noahfentz


Contributor

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:41 AM

QUOTE (SunWizard @ Apr 3 2009, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I disagree. I have a 9 year old 2.4ghz machine, with a 64mb nvidia MX420 graphics card (AGP4x) and VP9 works better than VP8 in all respects. (hardware rendering off.) I have converted about 25 of my favorite VP8 tables including some that had some ball stutter under multiball (like LOTR from JPG pins, a very fast table), and they have less stutter on VP9. I think there is something besides how "high end" your system is.


Good to know.

It must have a lot to do with the DX9 and video card, then.

Just going by what I have seen and have been told. VP 9 ran "okay" on my 2.4 GHz system, and runs flawlessly on my new Vista machine...go figure.

IdleReel.gif RumbleDMD.jpg HS2-DMD.jpg SBM.jpg ww_logo.jpg EK.jpg

 
T2.jpg Sorcerer.jpg Breakshot.jpg Firepower.jpg GorGar.jpg StarTrek.jpg


My Photobucket Resources
Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can't, You Are Right." - Henry Ford
The future of pinball lives, it just needs to be nurtured!
If you're here to stab me in the back, you're going to have to get in line.


#51 Jive

Jive

    The crazy frenchman

  • VIP
  • 138 posts
  • Location:Manaus (Amazonie)

  • Flag: Brazil

  • Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones & Monster Bash



Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:17 AM

Video card: Nvidia GS 7100, with drivers ForceWare version 93.71 (Detonators), the best ones
Sound card: Creative Xfi Pro
Pentium 4 dual cores
DirectX: I have the very latest pack
Windows XP Pro SP2

My machine is a high speed one.

Sending to you what I done is of no importance, since I didn't really change anything important.
Anyway, here is it:
http://tinyurl.com/dmhofm

Edited by Jive, 05 April 2009 - 01:20 AM.

I don't care to have but to give, I don't care to be if I can't share what I am and what I have

Posted Image


#52 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

    'Rasslin' Fan

  • VPF Administrator
  • 12,282 posts
  • Location:South Lyon, MI

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Whitewater

  • PS3 Gamer Tag: noahfentz


Contributor

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:36 AM

Jive, this seems to be working just fine for me.

No out of place or improperly layered reels or anything.



IdleReel.gif RumbleDMD.jpg HS2-DMD.jpg SBM.jpg ww_logo.jpg EK.jpg

 
T2.jpg Sorcerer.jpg Breakshot.jpg Firepower.jpg GorGar.jpg StarTrek.jpg


My Photobucket Resources
Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can't, You Are Right." - Henry Ford
The future of pinball lives, it just needs to be nurtured!
If you're here to stab me in the back, you're going to have to get in line.


#53 fossil30

fossil30

    Neophyte

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

  • Flag: Brazil

  • Favorite Pinball: vortex

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:54 AM

Justo got into the forum as a member. But I haven't tried it yet. However, when I do it, I will tell you my opinion, guys. Ok?
Complements to everybody!!!

#54 Jive

Jive

    The crazy frenchman

  • VIP
  • 138 posts
  • Location:Manaus (Amazonie)

  • Flag: Brazil

  • Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones & Monster Bash



Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE
No out of place or improperly layered reels or anything.

My friend, you should use your glasses... wink.gif
I don't care to have but to give, I don't care to be if I can't share what I am and what I have

Posted Image


#55 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

    'Rasslin' Fan

  • VPF Administrator
  • 12,282 posts
  • Location:South Lyon, MI

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Whitewater

  • PS3 Gamer Tag: noahfentz


Contributor

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (Jive @ May 2 2009, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My friend, you should use your glasses... wink.gif



The reel issues are simply due to the lack of overlapping not being supported yet.

The ramp appearance is due to the rendering of VP 9 making more use of "draw in front".

The reels will be fixed SOON, and the ramps just needs to be brought to the front. Other than that, the table looks fine.

IdleReel.gif RumbleDMD.jpg HS2-DMD.jpg SBM.jpg ww_logo.jpg EK.jpg

 
T2.jpg Sorcerer.jpg Breakshot.jpg Firepower.jpg GorGar.jpg StarTrek.jpg


My Photobucket Resources
Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can't, You Are Right." - Henry Ford
The future of pinball lives, it just needs to be nurtured!
If you're here to stab me in the back, you're going to have to get in line.


#56 Bob5453

Bob5453

    I'm taking a nap

  • VIP
  • 3,896 posts
  • Location:Near Dayton, Ohio USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Any table I can play while sitting in a rocking chair




  • Trophies:

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:45 AM

VP9's physics are way better than VP8, but it looks like it killed all of the 4x3 table creators and spawned a bunch of new cabinet makers.

The nudging system is just whacko, unless you have a $300 Pin Wizard controller and I still haven't seen anyone who paid for one of those, say it works properly.

I'm rather disappointed with the whole situation....

Posted Image

You have discovered an Easter egg. Pat yourself on the back.


#57 studmuff

studmuff

    Pinball Fan

  • Charter Member
  • 768 posts
  • Location:Wisconsin

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Tron, ACDC, LOTR

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (Bob5453 @ May 13 2009, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
VP9's physics are way better than VP8, but it looks like it killed all of the 4x3 table creators and spawned a bunch of new cabinet makers.

The nudging system is just whacko, unless you have a $300 Pin Wizard controller and I still haven't seen anyone who paid for one of those, say it works properly.

I'm rather disappointed with the whole situation....

It is a shame that a lot of the 4x3 creators aren't creating tables anymore.
I do like the fact that you can build a cabinet and play games. I've been waiting for that for a while. I love my cab. I couldn't play a 4X3 anymore. OK maybe JPs TSPP but that's it smile.gif.

I wish the transition between VP8 and VP9 had been better though. Can't wait for the next update of VP9.

#58 Bob5453

Bob5453

    I'm taking a nap

  • VIP
  • 3,896 posts
  • Location:Near Dayton, Ohio USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Any table I can play while sitting in a rocking chair




  • Trophies:

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (studmuff @ May 14 2009, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish the transition between VP8 and VP9 had been better though. Can't wait for the next update of VP9.


You hit the nail on the head there. VP9 shouldn't have been named VP9 or touted as an update to VP8, it's caused more confusion than another forum named VPForums. The casual VP'er has no clue as to what's happening now and is either in limbo or moved on to other hobbies, not mentioning the fact that only a few people seem to be able to make this stuff work properly on their pc anymore. A shame indeed.

Posted Image

You have discovered an Easter egg. Pat yourself on the back.


#59 yogiholzer

yogiholzer

    Pinball Fan

  • VIP
  • 1,870 posts
  • Location:Hamburg

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: All.

Contributor

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

I still didn't try VP9, because I still don't exactly know, what it's good for. I read here and there and also asked anywhere, but the answer(s) weren't illuminating enough.

Only for 16:9, 16:10, ...? Only for dual monitor operation? Only for rotated playfields? Only for use in combination with the Pinball Wizard controller? Only for use with the special made tables?

I only have one single 4:3 non rotatable monitor and use the keyboard to play. I'm still not sure, if I can use VP9 at all.

Yes, I could simply test, but the uncertainty about and all the problems to read about still kept me from that.


Click the picture frame to visit the pinball people gallery.

#60 TheMcD

TheMcD

    Pinball Wizard

  • VPF Staff
  • 2,461 posts
  • Location:Bavaria

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: Frankenstein, Safecracker, Big Hurt, Four Horsemen, Tommy, X-Files

Contributor

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (yogiholzer @ May 14 2009, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still didn't try VP9, because I still don't exactly know, what it's good for. I read here and there and also asked anywhere, but the answer(s) weren't illuminating enough.

Only for 16:9, 16:10, ...? Only for dual monitor operation? Only for rotated playfields? Only for use in combination with the Pinball Wizard controller? Only for use with the special made tables?

I only have one single 4:3 non rotatable monitor and use the keyboard to play. I'm still not sure, if I can use VP9 at all.

Yes, I could simply test, but the uncertainty about and all the problems to read about still kept me from that.


VP9 is a VP that is optimised for 16:9 and cabinet tables, but can play regular 4:3 tables too.

http://vpforums.org/...d...y=A-Z&pp=25

Here for example are some of the 4:3 VP9 tables you can try.

The McD

VPF's resident pinball music fanatic.

The McD's Pinball Music Emporium: YouTube /// MediaFire (old tracks) /// Mega (new tracks)