Jump to content



Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

VP9 physics versus VP8 physics, are they better?


  • Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Poll: Are VP 9 Physics Better Than VP 8? (918 member(s) have cast votes)

Are VP 9 Physics Better Than VP 8?

  1. Yes (427 votes [46.51%])

    Percentage of vote: 46.51%

  2. No (111 votes [12.09%])

    Percentage of vote: 12.09%

  3. Haven't tried VP 9 (380 votes [41.39%])

    Percentage of vote: 41.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

    'Rasslin' Fan

  • VPF Administrator
  • 12,282 posts
  • Location:South Lyon, MI

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Whitewater

  • PS3 Gamer Tag: noahfentz


Contributor

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE (Proginoskes @ Mar 28 2009, 03:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can't compare VP8 physics with VP9 physics, because there are no tables out there that run on both.

VP9 should have been called something like "Another Pinball". At least Black had the decency to invent a new name ("Future Pinball").

--- christoPheR heckman


I'm going to mod WWF Royal Rumble to run on VP 8. I'm changing only the lights, VUK values, and non-collidable wall locations that will be a problem. In VP 9, you can make walls non-collidable...nice, huh?

IdleReel.gif RumbleDMD.jpg HS2-DMD.jpg SBM.jpg ww_logo.jpg EK.jpg

 
T2.jpg Sorcerer.jpg Breakshot.jpg Firepower.jpg GorGar.jpg StarTrek.jpg


My Photobucket Resources
Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can't, You Are Right." - Henry Ford
The future of pinball lives, it just needs to be nurtured!
If you're here to stab me in the back, you're going to have to get in line.


#22 xzotic

xzotic

    Pinball Fan

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 637 posts

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: TOTAN

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (computerfrk1 @ Mar 28 2009, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no backgrounds when running VP8 tables


Toggle hardware rendering on/off (try both settings) and this should fix the problem. Remember to save the table with the new setting and completely restart VP between tries or it will NOT work.

|

|

___________________________________________

YouTube: www.spaciesarcade.com


#23 FDSystems

FDSystems

    Eclectic end-user

  • Charter Member
  • 2,477 posts
  • Location:Bahia

  • Flag: Brazil

  • Favorite Pinball: I will have to find out again.............

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (Noah Fentz @ Mar 27 2009, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I added "Haven't tried it yet" as the only "other" option I could think of. It's pretty cut and dried as a yes or no question.
Are you a "maybe"? tongue3.gif

Maybe yes, maybe no!
I am not for it, but I´m not against it.It´s the opposite! rofl.gif
Speaking seriously:I´m using VP9 for the following tables:
Mars attack 2009 (BoB5453)
Pinbot(Eala, your VP9 mod.)
The Who´s Tommy (Sunwizard VP9 mod)
& last but not least, your table Royal Rumble. otvclap.gif
I use Vp8 for all my other tables(132).

Mars Attack 2009 plays way much better than the VP8 version(imo)
I´m not sure about Pinbot & Tommy. The tables behaviour is different, i´m not sure it is better, I don´t know yet wich one I prefer. hmm.gif
Royal Rumble apparently plays very well, I have not had much time to test it.

QUOTE (Pinball Ken @ Mar 27 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Er, 1234fd, try my AFM 4.2 Mod! It says it all. VP9 rocks.
PK yahoo.gif


I´ve tried your version, great table, but I prefer JP Salas´one.Maybe because I´m more used to it?

This is one of the cases that brought me to ask the question.

Because of this I would like to have the "other" option as a poll answer!

Edited by 1234fd, 28 March 2009 - 01:23 PM.

From Brasil. Updated version of 1234fd



#24 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

    'Rasslin' Fan

  • VPF Administrator
  • 12,282 posts
  • Location:South Lyon, MI

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Whitewater

  • PS3 Gamer Tag: noahfentz


Contributor

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:29 PM

I would appreciate it, if you would indulge me this time. I'd like a definitive yes/no result. Since I'll be recreating many tables as the months pass, I'd like to see the outcome.

Thanks, and I'm happy to hear you like WWF Royal Rumble. Which version are you running?

FULL or LITE?

IdleReel.gif RumbleDMD.jpg HS2-DMD.jpg SBM.jpg ww_logo.jpg EK.jpg

 
T2.jpg Sorcerer.jpg Breakshot.jpg Firepower.jpg GorGar.jpg StarTrek.jpg


My Photobucket Resources
Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can't, You Are Right." - Henry Ford
The future of pinball lives, it just needs to be nurtured!
If you're here to stab me in the back, you're going to have to get in line.


#25 FDSystems

FDSystems

    Eclectic end-user

  • Charter Member
  • 2,477 posts
  • Location:Bahia

  • Flag: Brazil

  • Favorite Pinball: I will have to find out again.............

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (Noah Fentz @ Mar 28 2009, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would appreciate it, if you would indulge me this time. I'd like a definitive yes/no result. Since I'll be recreating many tables as the months pass, I'd like to see the outcome.

Thanks, and I'm happy to hear you like WWF Royal Rumble. Which version are you running?
FULL or LITE?


No problem, I´ll play some more before voting.

The LITE one


dblthumb.gif

Edited by 1234fd, 28 March 2009 - 04:41 PM.

From Brasil. Updated version of 1234fd



#26 TheMcD

TheMcD

    Pinball Wizard

  • VPF Staff
  • 2,461 posts
  • Location:Bavaria

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: Frankenstein, Safecracker, Big Hurt, Four Horsemen, Tommy, X-Files

Contributor

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:26 PM

Seriously, someone has to look into this ATI bull*AHEM*. Annoying as hell.

The McD

VPF's resident pinball music fanatic.

The McD's Pinball Music Emporium: YouTube /// MediaFire (old tracks) /// Mega (new tracks)


#27 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

    'Rasslin' Fan

  • VPF Administrator
  • 12,282 posts
  • Location:South Lyon, MI

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Whitewater

  • PS3 Gamer Tag: noahfentz


Contributor

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:31 PM

I'll say it again...

VP 9 was optimize in one, specific environment. Inside an UltraPin, with an NVidia card.

It had a specific CPU and set RAM, etc.

IdleReel.gif RumbleDMD.jpg HS2-DMD.jpg SBM.jpg ww_logo.jpg EK.jpg

 
T2.jpg Sorcerer.jpg Breakshot.jpg Firepower.jpg GorGar.jpg StarTrek.jpg


My Photobucket Resources
Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can't, You Are Right." - Henry Ford
The future of pinball lives, it just needs to be nurtured!
If you're here to stab me in the back, you're going to have to get in line.


#28 FDSystems

FDSystems

    Eclectic end-user

  • Charter Member
  • 2,477 posts
  • Location:Bahia

  • Flag: Brazil

  • Favorite Pinball: I will have to find out again.............

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (TheMcD @ Mar 28 2009, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously, someone has to look into this ATI bull*AHEM*. Annoying as hell.

The McD


NO.
How´s your laptop? tup.gif

Edited by 1234fd, 28 March 2009 - 04:43 PM.

From Brasil. Updated version of 1234fd



#29 TheMcD

TheMcD

    Pinball Wizard

  • VPF Staff
  • 2,461 posts
  • Location:Bavaria

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: Frankenstein, Safecracker, Big Hurt, Four Horsemen, Tommy, X-Files

Contributor

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

Having a ton of fun installing XP with Vista drivers. AKA I have to find every single driver myself. Yay.

The McD

VPF's resident pinball music fanatic.

The McD's Pinball Music Emporium: YouTube /// MediaFire (old tracks) /// Mega (new tracks)


#30 panootz

panootz

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Location:Punta Gorda, Florida

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: lots of them

  • PS3 Gamer Tag: panootz
  • 360 Gamer Tag: WoodenPanootz

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:02 AM

I would just like to ask, Destruk have you fixed VP9 so when you play a VP9 table you don't have to mess with the script and different settings. Thats the part that gave me hell, on vp8.1 i don't have to mess with anything just load the table and play the game. Just wanted to know, because i havn't used it in a while i'm still using VP8.1 thanks for any answers. Dave P.

#31 Proginoskes

Proginoskes

    Enthusiast

  • VIP
  • 104 posts
  • Location:Tempe, AZ, not Mesa!!!

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: MAGMA



Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:08 AM

QUOTE (destruk @ Mar 28 2009, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, All is all encompassing. Most VP8 single level playfield game will run on both VP8 and VP9. The new default table runs on both. To simply compare physics you have 3 different physics models to choose from - VP8.1 VP Physics, VP8.1 Ultracade Physics, and VP9 Ultracade Physics.


[ sarcasm ]Oh yes, and that will give a perfect indication of how the physics works on both ... [ /sarcasm ]

QUOTE
Sure you're upset, and sure go ahead and voice your opinion. You can either continue being angry at how this came about, or you can move on and work or give some suggestions how to make it better.


When I start up my Net Nuisances Pinball game in VP9, which was probably written on VP7 (Actually, I checked, and it was 6.1), I don't get flippers, textboxes, or lights. (Or decals for that matter, but I'll concede that the graphics can be radically rewritten for a new version.)

That is a level of backwards-compatibility comparable to Microsoft's incompetence. (Microsoft Works [sic] loads .doc files incorrectly, so they can't even read their own documents.)

And I think I have a right to complain about that. Because that should have been a forseeable problem.

As someone who creates original tables, that means I have to choose a side in this VHS-versus-Beta issue and answer questions about when I'm going to make a VPx version (where x = 17 minus the version number I've made).

--- christoPheR heckman

Edited by Proginoskes, 29 March 2009 - 07:09 AM.

I'm not a person who goes to work. I am my work. I'm in there. I'm in the middle of that whole thing. That's what I do. It's not a separate entity.
Posted Image

#32 bluto

bluto

    Gramps

  • Charter Member
  • 618 posts
  • Location:Aurora Ont.

  • Flag: Canada

  • Favorite Pinball: Cactus Canyon

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

I need more details on installing it.

think.gif




Hi to all members.
I'm From Aurora,Ontario
I am 76 in 2010
---------------------------
Please post in the
right Forum
ABOUT TOPIC
NOT ME,OK






#33 studmuff

studmuff

    Pinball Fan

  • Charter Member
  • 768 posts
  • Location:Wisconsin

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Tron, ACDC, LOTR

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (bluto @ Mar 29 2009, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I need more details on installing it.

think.gif


Bluto,

When I first tried VP9 I couldn't get it to work. I made a copy of my whole VP folder for VP8. I then renamed it VP9.0.2 (or something like that. I then downloaded VP9 and placed the contents of that zip I downloaded into the VP9.0.2 folder I created. I couldn't get it to work.

I then found this post: http://vpforums.org/...wtopic=1385&hl=

I downloaded the attachment destruk made in this post (msvcr71.zip). I placeD the contents of my zip in my VP9.0.2 folder and then everything worked.

Give it a try.

#34 bluto

bluto

    Gramps

  • Charter Member
  • 618 posts
  • Location:Aurora Ont.

  • Flag: Canada

  • Favorite Pinball: Cactus Canyon

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:25 AM

Is this a players update or creators instructions ?
Can i load VP8 or VP9 ?
Is it 2 seperate versions or a new style of tables ?
I don't like the side by side design.
drinks.gif
Hi to all members.
I'm From Aurora,Ontario
I am 76 in 2010
---------------------------
Please post in the
right Forum
ABOUT TOPIC
NOT ME,OK






#35 jpsalas

jpsalas

    Grand Schtroumpf

  • VIP
  • 7,385 posts
  • Location:I'm Spanish, but I live in Oslo (Norway)

  • Flag: Norway

  • Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.



Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:49 AM

I voted VP9, and you may ask why? First take a look at these 3 pictures:

http://www.fileden.c...AFM_VP9_4x3.jpg
http://www.fileden.c...FM_VP9_16x9.jpg
http://www.fileden.c..._AFM_VP9_FS.jpg

Those pictures are of the same table, and I only needed to change a few parameters on the backdrop to get those views. The table has no reels or decals at all, and you may rotate it and change the angles at will. I see the "FS" view could use another kind of saucers, using a top wall instead of the side walls, but I think you get the point.

In my opinion VP9 Pros (just a few):
- VP9 is mostly a blessing for the authors, with transparent ramps, new lights and new settings for walls, mostly the "collidable" setting, the top transparency, the friction...
- Better physics (ball movement, wall elasticity and friction, flipper settins, fixed bugs...)
- To be able to rotate and enlarge or reduce the table's view. Now I can maximize the table with just a few parameters.
- Added support for Directx 9, but mostly only for Nvidia cards.

And the Cons I can see:
- VP8.1 had better reel and decal transparency (I hope soon it'll get updated in VP9, hint, hint smile.gif ).
- VP9 needs a PC with more horsepower to run. Mostly an Nvidia card as it was used on the UC cabinet.
- Incompatibility with older tables, since they need to be modified. But I don't see the problem, since VP8.1 still works, so use it for older tables.

If you have the hardware VP9 needs, then VP9 will look and play much better. Now, I can't play with hardware rendering on due to my older PC, but when I get a new PC then things will be different smile.gif.

JP

PS: That AFM table is not available, since I only use it to test the new physics and options.

Edited by jpsalas, 30 March 2009 - 04:11 AM.

If you want to check my latest uploads then click on the image below:

 

vp.jpg

 

 


#36 humid

humid

    Pinball Fan

  • VIP
  • 743 posts
  • Location:London Ontario

  • Flag: Canada

  • Favorite Pinball: Black Knight



Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:24 AM

I've been very pleased with the VP9 tables, as my system seems comfortable with them. I haven't bothered with dual monitors as my 42" is mounted on a wall and I don't want to strain my neck and eyes. I did load up Wipeout to see the result and saw the potential if I ever want to go with dual. I hope you stick with VP9 Noah, the Rumble has been a real mat slamming success with my friends.
I tawt I gawt a weepway

#37 bluto

bluto

    Gramps

  • Charter Member
  • 618 posts
  • Location:Aurora Ont.

  • Flag: Canada

  • Favorite Pinball: Cactus Canyon

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (studmuff @ Mar 29 2009, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bluto,

When I first tried VP9 I couldn't get it to work. I made a copy of my whole VP folder for VP8. I then renamed it VP9.0.2 (or something like that. I then downloaded VP9 and placed the contents of that zip I downloaded into the VP9.0.2 folder I created. I couldn't get it to work.

I then found this post: http://vpforums.org/...wtopic=1385&hl=

I downloaded the attachment destruk made in this post (msvcr71.zip). I placeD the contents of my zip in my VP9.0.2 folder and then everything worked.

Give it a try.

Thanks to you and destruck.This Forum has great and quick help.
I have things working to use VP 8 or VP 9
dblthumb.gif
Hi to all members.
I'm From Aurora,Ontario
I am 76 in 2010
---------------------------
Please post in the
right Forum
ABOUT TOPIC
NOT ME,OK






#38 FDSystems

FDSystems

    Eclectic end-user

  • Charter Member
  • 2,477 posts
  • Location:Bahia

  • Flag: Brazil

  • Favorite Pinball: I will have to find out again.............

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (jpsalas @ Mar 29 2009, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I voted VP9, and you may ask why? First take a look at these 3 pictures:

http://www.fileden.c...AFM_VP9_4x3.jpg
http://www.fileden.c...FM_VP9_16x9.jpg
http://www.fileden.c..._AFM_VP9_FS.jpg

Those pictures are of the same table, and I only needed to change a few parameters on the backdrop to get those views. The table has no reels or decals at all, and you may rotate it and change the angles at will. I see the "FS" view could use another kind of saucers, using a top wall instead of the side walls, but I think you get the point.

In my opinion VP9 Pros (just a few):
- VP9 is mostly a blessing for the authors, with transparent ramps, new lights and new settings for walls, mostly the "collidable" setting, the top transparency, the friction...
- Better physics (ball movement, wall elasticity and friction, flipper settins, fixed bugs...)
- To be able to rotate and enlarge or reduce the table's view. Now I can maximize the table with just a few parameters.
- Added support for Directx 9, but mostly only for Nvidia cards.

And the Cons I can see:
- VP8.1 had better reel and decal transparency (I hope soon it'll get updated in VP9, hint, hint smile.gif ).
- VP9 needs a PC with more horsepower to run. Mostly an Nvidia card as it was used on the UC cabinet.
- Incompatibility with older tables, since they need to be modified. But I don't see the problem, since VP8.1 still works, so use it for older tables.

If you have the hardware VP9 needs, then VP9 will look and play much better. Now, I can't play with hardware rendering on due to my older PC, but when I get a new PC then things will be different smile.gif .

JP

PS: That AFM table is not available, since I only use it to test the new physics and options.

Thank you very much JP to have taken the time to give such complete explanations.This is what I was expecting.
I will then keep on enjoying my collection of VP8 tables with VP8, & try the new tables made with VP9, hoping that in the close future we will have some more incredible tables than the ones we already have.
A big thank you to all the people involved in developing VP9 & VP9 tables.
From Brasil. Updated version of 1234fd



#39 FDSystems

FDSystems

    Eclectic end-user

  • Charter Member
  • 2,477 posts
  • Location:Bahia

  • Flag: Brazil

  • Favorite Pinball: I will have to find out again.............

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (destruk @ Mar 28 2009, 04:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, All is all encompassing. Most VP8 single level playfield game will run on both VP8 and VP9. The new default table runs on both. To simply compare physics you have 3 different physics models to choose from - VP8.1 VP Physics, VP8.1 Ultracade Physics, and VP9 Ultracade Physics.
So realistically, the question should be approached by comparing the ball movement, which anyone can easily see by simply running the table and playing a few games.


Sorry if this a stupid question, but where can I find this "default table"? think.gif

Thank you for these informations! cool.gif
From Brasil. Updated version of 1234fd



#40 yogiholzer

yogiholzer

    Pinball Fan

  • VIP
  • 1,870 posts
  • Location:Hamburg

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: All.

Contributor

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

I still didn't care about VP9xx and didn't test/try. From everything I've read about and understand, it's either for 16:9 or 16:10, or for upright/vertical on actual hardware.

As I don't have any cabinet and dual display, but 4:3 resolution on 18.6" LCD display (without pivot) on outdated hardware (AMD Athlon XP 3200+, 2 GB ram, nvidia geforce 6200) running XP SP3, I didn't think VP9xx is anything to try at all.

If you think I'm wrong, please let me know. Please try to explain in easy words, as I need to translate and understand. Thank you.

And yes, what do you mean by 'new default table'?
Click the picture frame to visit the pinball people gallery.