#1 SomeDJ

SomeDJ

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 17 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:32 PM

How many of you have put in buttons for magna save? Is it even worth it? I have ordered side rails with a button guard and they are drilled out for one button only. Should I drill out the magna save button or just forget it altogether? How many games even use it?

I have at the moment buttons for

2x Flippers
1x Coin
1x Player Start
1x Plunger
UHID for Tilt/Nudge
1x Power on/off

and I think I have 5 or six buttons left over. What should I map those to that you believe is important to the cabinet.

#2 destruk

destruk

VPF Veteran

• VPF Staff
  • 6,307 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Ultrapin!

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:02 AM

Yes, you need the magna save buttons. Even for games that don't use them, I usually set one up for Buy-In, and one for the manual ball loader on some Future Pinball games. Or you could set them for the game volume up/down - anything that you can avoid having to open the coin door to do is worthwhile. And for games that do use them, I can't imaging playing Black Knight without the magnasaves.

Build a fire, vipers love the heat.

#3 Iceman5000

Iceman5000

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:22 AM

I definitely agree with Destruk. In addition to magna saves on some games you also have the furbas on The Shadow and a couple other tables that use multiple flipper buttons.

#4 Rawd

Rawd

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 4,311 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Triple Strike

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (Iceman5000 @ Apr 20 2010, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I definitely agree with Destruk. In addition to magna saves on some games you also have the furbas on The Shadow and a couple other tables that use multiple flipper buttons.

Like the soon-to-be released "Spy vs. Spy"... if you want to play head to head. smile.gif

#5 studmuff

studmuff

Pinball Fan

• Charter Member
  • 768 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Tron, ACDC, LOTR

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:08 AM

I recommend them. When you play games like Black Knight you'll which you had put them in. You will get asked why they are there many times though from people who don't play pinball. smile.gif

#6 bryhud

bryhud

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 23 posts
  • Favorite Pinball: simpsons

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:12 AM

I also had this question...

Are there any guides for configuring these or any have any tips?

I have the nanotech nudge unit and the second flippers already are mapped to buttons, cant think of them right off the top of my head but they do the wheel jumps in hyperpin. Is it just a remap of keys in VP and or FP?

Thanks

#7 ArtificialEnemy

ArtificialEnemy

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 58 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Tommy

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:41 PM

What is magnasave? If somebody could enlighten me that would be great.

#8 The Trout

The Trout

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Who Dunnit

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (ArtificialEnemy @ Apr 27 2010, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is magnasave? If somebody could enlighten me that would be great.

In "Black Knight" and a few other tables, magna save is a feature that uses an extra button on each side of the cabinet. This button allows you to trigger a magnet located just over the inlanes in order to save a ball from draining, assuming your timing is dead on.

Similar buttons are used in machines like "The Shadow" for other miscellaneous functions.

EDIT: Oh, and in response to the OP, yeah, the extra buttons on each side of the machine are essential. As noted above, "The Shadow" is pretty well crippled without them and "Black Knight" isn't nearly as much fun.

Edited by The Trout, 27 April 2010 - 09:49 PM.

Mary Elizabeth's Sock
It's About A Girl. And Crime. But Mostly About A Girl.

#9 lettuce

lettuce

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 929 posts

• Flag: England

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (SomeDJ @ Apr 21 2010, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How many of you have put in buttons for magna save? Is it even worth it? I have ordered side rails with a button guard and they are drilled out for one button only. Should I drill out the magna save button or just forget it altogether? How many games even use it?

I have at the moment buttons for

2x Flippers
1x Coin
1x Player Start
1x Plunger
UHID for Tilt/Nudge
1x Power on/off

and I think I have 5 or six buttons left over. What should I map those to that you believe is important to the cabinet.

Hows the UHID working out for you?? I was thinking of getting one of these or just maybe using mercury switches

#10 SomeDJ

SomeDJ

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 17 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:28 AM

I've only tested the UHID within the software connected to a seperate desktop than the pinball. Within it's own software it seems to work ok. Has good tracking. I'm dry fitting all the parts and now drilling out the holes for buttons and fans and making sure everything is going be where I want it. Then I'm going to fire it up and make sure everything works. Then it's disassembly and painting and reassembly.

Edited by SomeDJ, 29 April 2010 - 03:29 AM.

#11 filthygator

filthygator

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Arabian Knights

Posted 17 December 2023 - 07:30 PM

Bro. I can't believe y'all was doing this 13/14 years ago!!!? I completed my Vpin in 2023. Are y'all still in the hobby? Haha. Awesome.