Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

VPX Ball Trails: Am I doing something wrong, or do they suck?

Ball Trails

  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mshaker

mshaker

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, Heist

Posted 02 October 2026 - 03:10 PM

Whenever I enable ball trails in VPX, it looks like there is a shimmering quadrilateral chasing the ball. 

 

Aside from the Ball Trail "Strength" adjustment , are there any other settings that affect them? 

 

My cab's PC has a Ryzen 7700X and Radeon RX 7900 XT, so should be capable of rendering some smooth and subtle effects. 

 

Thanks for your help! 



#2 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

    VPF Veteran

  • VIP
  • 5,158 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra



Contributor

Posted 02 October 2026 - 05:38 PM

See if the VPX version you are using has a Video Preference setting for Alternate Depth Buffering and enable. Often needed for AMD video card

#3 Tesla

Tesla

    Pinball Fan

  • Silver Supporter
  • 1,462 posts
  • Location:Texas, USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Star Trek - TNG

Posted 02 October 2026 - 06:52 PM

Whenever I enable ball trails in VPX, it looks like there is a shimmering quadrilateral chasing the ball. 

 

 

I saw it here also. Table Author was unable to duplicate (so not really addressed).

 

My theory was it had something to do with an old "dev code-trick" that was not compatible with v10.8.0. With no chance of a fix, looks like I ended-up turning them off. This was the only table I ever really wanted ball-trails on anyway (since LocNar is fantasy).

 

https://www.vpforums...=45009&p=553284


Edited by Tesla, 02 October 2026 - 06:55 PM.


#4 TT11

TT11

    Pinball Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Location:Maitland AUSTRALIA

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Bally Kiss & Playboy, Stern Kiss & Playboy

  • 360 Gamer Tag: PoundedElliepup

Posted 02 October 2026 - 10:49 PM

You could try turning off all Ambient Occlusion for the particular table.  I find using that on some tables/balls makes it look like there is a smear over/around the ball especially when hitting the slings....



#5 mshaker

mshaker

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, Heist

Posted Today, 01:08 AM

Hey Everybody, 

Thank you for your replies.

 

I tried enabling Alternate Depth Buffering and disabling Ambient Occlusion (separately and together). There were some subtle differences, but in the end I prefer just disabling Ball Trails.