Photo
- - - - -

How to convert a spanned to a full screen table?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 spyhunter

spyhunter

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Shadow

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:45 AM

Hi,

inspired by Chris' fabolous TNG based pinball cabinet, I also started playing around with full screen table.

I found that in the spanned tables sections, there are some nice tables, which are not avalilable as full screen tables (e.g. Sopranos).
I wonder, if it is very complicated to convert them? Is there any description on how to do that?

As I am really a newby to that, it might be a stupid question.

Any hint for me???

Thanks

ciao

Marco

#2 destruk

destruk

VPF Veteran

• VPF Staff
  • 6,307 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Ultrapin!

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:32 AM

The easiest way is to simply change the scaling and offset options. That way you just make the table take up the full screen you have, and the backglass is offscreen. It's not the best way as your pc will still have the larger graphics in memory and will be keeping track of elements you can't see on the single screen, but it works and it's simple to do.

Build a fire, vipers love the heat.

#3 Bluebook

Bluebook

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 163 posts

• Flag: England

• Favorite Pinball: F14 Tomcat

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (destruk @ Jan 21 2010, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The easiest way is to simply change the scaling and offset options. That way you just make the table take up the full screen you have, and the backglass is offscreen. It's not the best way as your pc will still have the larger graphics in memory and will be keeping track of elements you can't see on the single screen, but it works and it's simple to do.

But do we know what the X/Y co-ordinates are, and should they always be the same? I followed the Hyperin instructions to the letter re how to convert Back to the future spanned to FS and it worked fine. The instructions said the co-ordinates should be the same for other tables but they wasn't so gave up for now and have stuck with the slightly less volume of FS tables. any advice would be much appreciated - many thanks

vpsignaturebluebook_zpsfcce670c.png

Win7 Ult.64bit; Intel i3 3.10Ghz, 8GB RAM, GTX 460, Real Pinball Cab. Programmable RGB Flashers; Rotating Beacons. 

#4 kruge99

kruge99

Pinball Wizard

• VPF Staff
  • 3,901 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Black Knight, High Speed and Pin*Bot

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (Bluebook @ Jan 21 2010, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (destruk @ Jan 21 2010, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But do we know what the X/Y co-ordinates are, and should they always be the same? I followed the Hyperin instructions to the letter re how to convert Back to the future spanned to FS and it worked fine. The instructions said the co-ordinates should be the same for other tables but they wasn't so gave up for now and have stuck with the slightly less volume of FS tables. any advice would be much appreciated - many thanks

The X/Y scaling and co-ordinates will be slightly different for each table. When I converted some tables for my Hyperpin setup, I start at 1.9/1.8 for the X/Y scaling and I start at -450 for the x offset and 350 for the y offset. Then I tweak those setting until the table is centered and stretched properly.

Best Regards,
Todd.

p.s. I might have jumped into the wrong conversation - I was converting 4x3 tables to Fullscreen. Converting a SPANNED table to Fullscreen will definitely use different settings than the ones I put above. Sorry for the confusion.

[proud owner of a Williams Solar Fire]

- It's called "The American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it.
George Carlin
- Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
Henrik Tikkanen
- "Reality check, Michelle, Talk about composure, Total lack of. He's a man-- About-- 12 Feet Tall--"
Carrie Kelly
Posted Image

#5 destruk

destruk

VPF Veteran

• VPF Staff
  • 6,307 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Ultrapin!

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:44 PM

The tables would be different dimensions - different height, width, and length, so the numbers would be different too. By comparisson, most all of the coctail table machines for 16:9 should have the same dimensions, so you should be able to use the same values for all, if not most of those types. ie Foxy Lady, Chuck a Luck, Real, Black Velvet, Camel Lights, ...

Build a fire, vipers love the heat.

#6 Bluebook

Bluebook

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 163 posts

• Flag: England

• Favorite Pinball: F14 Tomcat

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (destruk @ Jan 21 2010, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The tables would be different dimensions - different height, width, and length, so the numbers would be different too. By comparisson, most all of the coctail table machines for 16:9 should have the same dimensions, so you should be able to use the same values for all, if not most of those types. ie Foxy Lady, Chuck a Luck, Real, Black Velvet, Camel Lights, ...

Thanks destruk, I'll give it another go sometime - especially since there are some other williams tables I would love to play. It's just a little frustrating that it's a bit 'hit and miss' and you have to keep re-loading table unlike FP.

vpsignaturebluebook_zpsfcce670c.png

Win7 Ult.64bit; Intel i3 3.10Ghz, 8GB RAM, GTX 460, Real Pinball Cab. Programmable RGB Flashers; Rotating Beacons. 

#7 spyhunter

spyhunter

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (destruk @ Jan 21 2010, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the fast replay. Where do I set the scaling? I succeeded in moving the backglass out of the 1st screen. But somehow I didn't find the scaling.

If I do it like this, where will the DMD be located?

Thanks

ciao

Marco

#8 wtiger

wtiger

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,148 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Junkyard

Contributor

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE (spyhunter @ Jan 25 2010, 03:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where do I set the scaling?

It's in the Backdrop options. Click on Backdrop and make sure you have Options selected as well. The X and Y scale is on the right side of the screen:

#9 spyhunter

spyhunter

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (wtiger @ Jan 26 2010, 05:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (spyhunter @ Jan 25 2010, 03:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where do I set the scaling?

It's in the Backdrop options. Click on Backdrop and make sure you have Options selected as well. The X and Y scale is on the right side of the screen:

Thanks!

I gonna give it a try today smile.gif

ciao

Marco