Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

Motion Rate 120 for playfield


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tombas

Tombas

    Hobbyist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Location:Cleveland OH

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: High Speed

Posted 31 March 2023 - 06:28 PM

I'm trying to select a playfield monitor on a budget. I found a 60hz refresh rate with a "motion rate 120" on a Hisense tv. Is this sufficient to avoid playfield blur? This is a 1080p display which I plan to start with.

 

The vast majority of results from my google search for a 43" 120hz yields links/ads for 4K units. I'm new to this so I don't know how this affects things if at all.

 

Please advise and Thanks!



#2 garnel

garnel

    Enthusiast

  • Gold Supporter
  • 269 posts
  • Location:Oregon

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 31 March 2023 - 07:37 PM

The key number is "Frame Rate". That's the max number of frames/second the tv can accept from the computer.

"Motion Rate" at 120hz is where the tv internally produces the additional 60 frames. So it's really only 60hz, but the screen updates at 120hz..

 

My first build is a standard body with a 4K Vizio 405-g9 playfield with a 30hz frame rate and a 60hz Motion Rate - and it works great.

My second machine is a wide body and has an LG 42" OLED TV with a 120hz frame rate - it's beautiful, brighter and smoother - but I can't explain why I usually prefer playing the first machine!

I'm not aware of any 43" 1080P TV with a true 120hz frame rate.

 

I would suggest getting everything working with a used, cheap playfield display. Then decide if you want to spend the $ for a better one.

Both my machines have Ryzen 5 5600x processors. the first has an ASUS RTX 2070, the second has an EVGA RTX 3070.

 

All the best with your build.

garnel


Edited by garnel, 31 March 2023 - 07:40 PM.


#3 Tombas

Tombas

    Hobbyist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Location:Cleveland OH

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: High Speed

Posted 31 March 2023 - 09:05 PM

Garnel -  Your advice to start with a cheap playfield display makes a lot of sense to me. I guess I was overthinking this so thank you for for your insight!

 

Really interesting you like playing your first machine over your OLED build. Perhaps the 1st appears more realistic? Whatever the reason It's good to know your 60hz suits you just fine.

 

I have an i7 processor and a gamer is going to give me a GPU but I don't know which one yet. I've read that the GPU is an important piece of the whole project. Regardless I can use your same advice to get started and decide from there.

 

Thanks again!

 

Tom