Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 06 March 2023 - 08:59 PM

I found this
I believe part of the problem comes from the various ways Freezy gets installed by different users.
If one takes the defaults when installing using the MSI package the files go inside the Program Files(x86) folder, which itself is restricted to Windows Administrator access.

If you install using Nailbuster's Baller Installer some files go into a DMDext subfolder that branches from VpinMAME, and others land in the VpinMAME root folder.

Locating the correct place to overwrite the DLLs with Lucky1's versions can be tricky because of this, and it had me scratching my head for a bit.  Once I learned how my particular folders were structured I had no difficulty repeating the process and getting the PAC versions to work.

Edited by Outhere, 10 March 2023 - 07:50 PM.

#42 Jewer76

Jewer76

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

• Flag: Denmark

• Favorite Pinball: It changes...

Posted 06 March 2023 - 09:40 PM

Search Your computer for this file - DmdDevice.dll and see where they all are

I found this
I believe part of the problem comes from the various ways Freezy gets installed by different users.
If one takes the defaults when installing using the MSI package the files go inside the Program Files(x86) folder, which itself is restricted to Windows Administrator access.

If you install using Nailbuster's Baller Installer some files go into a DMDext subfolder that branches from VpinMAME, and others land in the VpinMAME root folder.

Locating the correct place to overwrite the DLLs with Lucky1's versions can be tricky because of this, and it had me scratching my head for a bit.  Once I learned how my particular folders were structured I had no difficulty repeating the process and getting the PAC versions to work.

Outhere, I really appreciate you trying to get your head around this problem.

Searched for the DmdDevice.dll and put the Lucky1 version everywhere it showed up. Mostly it only showed up in folders I had made for backup and then of course VpinMAME.

Sadly no change. I am still puzzled about your DmdDevice.log being so different from mine. Your's is starting VPinMAME API through VPinballX.exe, and mine through Setup.exe. Isn't that weird? And then your's load the Pin2color plugin, which I guess is what this is all about, and mine does not. Why will it not load it? 

#43 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 11:38 PM

Yes very weird and I'm as lost as you are
There may be something in windows registry that's telling it where to go

#44 Mike DA Spike

Mike DA Spike

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,203 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: Too many to mention

Posted 07 March 2023 - 03:34 AM

I never used the installer. Just the plain files. Thought that the installer put something in your "path" setting to always find the freezy dll.
Maybe ot is in a different directory, so evetime you overwrite files, its from the wrong location.

Are vni and pal files working, and it is just pac fies that doesn't work ?

Edit : If you ever used the installer, check Freezy's page : https://github.com/f.../dmd-extensions

• The installer will overwrite any existing dmddevice.dll in your VPM folder if you choose to install it (existing INI files are untouched).
  • If you're on Windows x64, you probably want to install both 32 and 64-bit versions. They can live happily next to each other.
  • The reason for installing both versions is that your VPM is probably 32-bit, so you'll need the 32-bit DmdDevice.dll and if you're using dmdext.exe with the 64-bit version of Pro Pinball, it will only work with the 64-bit version.
  • However, if you don't have Pro Pinball, just 32-bit will do fine, and if don't use VPM then just 64-bit will do fine as well. And if you're on a 32-bit Windows, then just take the 32-bit version.
  • The installer will add the install folder of dmdext.exe to the PATH environment variable, but only if the platform is the same:
    • DMD Extensions (64-bit) on Windows x64 is added to PATH
    • DMD Extensions (32-bit) on Windows 32-bit is added to PATH
    • All other combinations aren't added to PATH
  • The installer will set the DMDDEVICE_CONFIG environment variable to the location of your DmdDevice.ini. That means from wherever you launch DmdDevice.dll (or run dmdext.exe with --use-ini), the same DmdDevice.ini will be used.
  • During installation, when a feature is deactivated, that means the installer couldn't find the host program. For VPM that means that you haven't registered VPinMAME.dll. For Pro Pinball it means it's not installed via Steam, and you'll need to select its installation folder manually.

Edited by Mike DA Spike, 07 March 2023 - 04:52 AM.

331ddabcc742f0ba74791e946eb0f791.gif Try PinballX Database manager as a replacement of PinballX's game list manager
With special thanks to Scutters 

#45 Jewer76

Jewer76

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 March 2023 - 06:44 AM

Yes very weird and I'm as lost as you are
There may be something in windows registry that's telling it where to go

Thanks Outhere, appreciate it. I am also suspecting something other than just the position of the freezy and lucky1 files.

I never used the installer. Just the plain files. Thought that the installer put something in your "path" setting to always find the freezy dll.
Maybe ot is in a different directory, so evetime you overwrite files, its from the wrong location.

Are vni and pal files working, and it is just pac fies that doesn't work ?

Edit : If you ever used the installer, check Freezy's page : https://github.com/f.../dmd-extensions

• The installer will overwrite any existing dmddevice.dll in your VPM folder if you choose to install it (existing INI files are untouched).
  • If you're on Windows x64, you probably want to install both 32 and 64-bit versions. They can live happily next to each other.
  • The reason for installing both versions is that your VPM is probably 32-bit, so you'll need the 32-bit DmdDevice.dll and if you're using dmdext.exe with the 64-bit version of Pro Pinball, it will only work with the 64-bit version.
  • However, if you don't have Pro Pinball, just 32-bit will do fine, and if don't use VPM then just 64-bit will do fine as well. And if you're on a 32-bit Windows, then just take the 32-bit version.
  • The installer will add the install folder of dmdext.exe to the PATH environment variable, but only if the platform is the same:
    • DMD Extensions (64-bit) on Windows x64 is added to PATH
    • DMD Extensions (32-bit) on Windows 32-bit is added to PATH
    • All other combinations aren't added to PATH
  • The installer will set the DMDDEVICE_CONFIG environment variable to the location of your DmdDevice.ini. That means from wherever you launch DmdDevice.dll (or run dmdext.exe with --use-ini), the same DmdDevice.ini will be used.
  • During installation, when a feature is deactivated, that means the installer couldn't find the host program. For VPM that means that you haven't registered VPinMAME.dll. For Pro Pinball it means it's not installed via Steam, and you'll need to select its installation folder manually.

Hi Mike, thanks for chipping in.

Yes, the vni and pal files do colorize, so they are being read. The DMD's are clearly freezy dmd since they are scalable and can be saved to position. So that part makes sense.

It is the Lucky1's PAC that don't start. As was shown in my DmdDevice.log, compared to Outhere's, it seem like my pin2color plugin don't start.

The last part in the freezy explanation. The thing about the installer setting DMDDEVICE_CONFIG environments and this whole dmdext thing, could that be something that is messed up on my system?

Also, this thing about registering VPinMAME.dll - does that also control VPinballX.exe, and could that be something that is wrong in my installation? As mentioned, my Setup.exe is running VPinMAME app, where in Outheres installation, it is VPinballX.exe that is used.

#46 scutters

scutters

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

• Flag: England

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family

Posted 07 March 2023 - 09:18 AM

Back to my Iron Maiden problem....Here's where I am at.  I was able to adjust some code to make the DMD look much better (I found lines of code that had the FLEXDMD at 32 x 128 and changed it to 128 x 512 and it looks much better. Problem is only part of the time it looks correct and fills up the screen. When it's showing the scores while you are playing, the scores are really small and tucked away in the upper left hand side of the screen. On other screens like "Ball Saved" it fills up the whole screen. I have pics that I uploaded, but I don't know how to attach them to this post. Edit: Figured out how to attach pics.

http://vpforums.org/imghost/24/25.jpg

http://vpforums.org/imghost/24/16.jpg

http://vpforums.org/imghost/24/35.jpg

http://vpforums.org/imghost/24/41.jpg

VPW version? If you increase the DMD area you will also need to increase the areas assigned for the digits.

So this section just below the DMD area assignment;

For i = 0 to 19 ' Top
                DMDScene.GetImage("Dig" & i).SetBounds 4 + i * 6, 3, 7, 10
            Next
            For i = 20 to 39 ' Bottom
                DMDScene.GetImage("Dig" & i).SetBounds 4 + (i - 20) * 6, 3 + 12 + 2, 7, 10
            Next

Change to something like this for 4 times the size (numbers being x, y coordinates, then width and height)

For i = 0 to 19 ' Top
                DMDScene.GetImage("Dig" & i).SetBounds 4 + i * 24, 3, 28, 40
            Next
            For i = 20 to 39 ' Bottom
                DMDScene.GetImage("Dig" & i).SetBounds 4 + (i - 20) * 24, 3 + 48 + 2, 28, 40
            Next

(i am guessing a bit there and haven't tested it but should give you a start, please also be aware of the line at the top of code "Enable Flex DMD (Depricated - not tested)" though)

Edited by scutters, 07 March 2023 - 10:13 AM.

#47 Mike DA Spike

Mike DA Spike

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 07 March 2023 - 11:38 AM

It is the Lucky1's PAC that don't start. As was shown in my DmdDevice.log, compared to Outhere's, it seem like my pin2color plugin don't start.

The last part in the freezy explanation. The thing about the installer setting DMDDEVICE_CONFIG environments and this whole dmdext thing, could that be something that is messed up on my system?

Also, this thing about registering VPinMAME.dll - does that also control VPinballX.exe, and could that be something that is wrong in my installation? As mentioned, my Setup.exe is running VPinMAME app, where in Outheres installation, it is VPinballX.exe that is used.

Did you copy the correct 3 files from lucky his zip file? From the X86 or x64 folder ? (Think you are using x86)
Only the dmddevice.dll, serum.dll and pincolor.dll are needed (files can be a bit differrent as I'mnot at the cab). You can use your own dmddevice.ini (dont overwrite this).
Freezy just released version 2 of his dll. No pac support, but in a thread on VPU he explains why it doesnt support pac (and why you should stick just to freezy dmdext)

About the 'DMDDEVICE_CONFIG environments'. Open a command prompt and type SET
Check the environment variables. If that contaings the DMDDEVICE_CONFIG variable. If so, that contains the location of dmdext (or should contain)

Edited by Mike DA Spike, 07 March 2023 - 11:48 AM.

331ddabcc742f0ba74791e946eb0f791.gif Try PinballX Database manager as a replacement of PinballX's game list manager

#48 spisi69

spisi69

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Bad Cats

Posted 07 March 2023 - 02:34 PM

VPW version? If you increase the DMD area you will also need to increase the areas assigned for the digits.

So this section just below the DMD area assignment;

For i = 0 to 19 ' Top
Next
For i = 20 to 39 '
Bottom
DMDScene.GetImage("Dig" & i).SetBounds 4 + (i - 20) * 6, 3 + 12 + 2, 7, 10
Next

Change to something like this for 4 times the size (numbers being x, y coordinates, then width and height)

For i = 0 to 19 ' Top
Next
For i = 20 to 39 '
Bottom
DMDScene.GetImage("Dig" & i).SetBounds 4 + (i - 20) * 24, 3 + 48 + 2, 28, 40
Next

(i am guessing a bit there and haven't tested it but should give you a start, please also be aware of the line at the top of code "Enable Flex DMD (Depricated - not tested)" though)

Thanks Scutters, I was looking at that bit of code trying to figure it out...I'll check later when I get home  :tup:

#49 Jewer76

Jewer76

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 March 2023 - 03:38 PM

Did you copy the correct 3 files from lucky his zip file? From the X86 or x64 folder ? (Think you are using x86)
Only the dmddevice.dll, serum.dll and pincolor.dll are needed (files can be a bit differrent as I'mnot at the cab). You can use your own dmddevice.ini (dont overwrite this).
Freezy just released version 2 of his dll. No pac support, but in a thread on VPU he explains why it doesnt support pac (and why you should stick just to freezy dmdext)

Check the environment variables. If that contaings the DMDDEVICE_CONFIG variable. If so, that contains the location of dmdext (or should contain)

Hi Mike

Thank you for pointing me to Freezy's latest post. I guess my system already took a stand and don't want to support PAC ;)

As you suggest I have only transferred the 3 files you mention, and yes they are x86, so the problem is deeper than that.

I will try the SET command and see if I understand what I am looking for. If that is not helpfull I think I might just let it be and see what the future brings.

Now I am just wondering if Serum is running on my system, if that is the future.

#50 Jewer76

Jewer76

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 March 2023 - 05:16 PM

Hi Mike

Thank you for pointing me to Freezy's latest post. I guess my system already took a stand and don't want to support PAC ;)

As you suggest I have only transferred the 3 files you mention, and yes they are x86, so the problem is deeper than that.

I will try the SET command and see if I understand what I am looking for. If that is not helpfull I think I might just let it be and see what the future brings.

Now I am just wondering if Serum is running on my system, if that is the future.

Just installed Freezys new update and checked if Serum runs... It doesn't  :throw:

#51 Mike DA Spike

Mike DA Spike

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 07 March 2023 - 05:23 PM

Than you must do something wrong

#52 Jewer76

Jewer76

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 March 2023 - 05:39 PM

I am trying to figure out what that would be.

Before being able to install the new Freezy 2.0, I had to use the old installer to uninstall Freezy.

Then I installed the new version. The new one did NOT install serum.dll. Is this because serum in now part of the DmdDevice.dll?

I have absolutely no idea why pal/vni are being read just fine, but serum don't and pac didn't.

#53 spisi69

spisi69

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Bad Cats

Posted 07 March 2023 - 09:58 PM

VPW version? If you increase the DMD area you will also need to increase the areas assigned for the digits.

So this section just below the DMD area assignment;

For i = 0 to 19 ' Top
Next
For i = 20 to 39 '
 Bottom
DMDScene.GetImage("Dig" & i).SetBounds 4 + (- 20) * 6, 3 + 12 + 2, 7, 10
Next

For i = 0 to 19 ' Top
Next
For i = 20 to 39 '
 Bottom
DMDScene.GetImage("Dig" & i).SetBounds 4 + (- 20) * 24, 3 + 48 + 2, 28, 40
Next

(i am guessing a bit there and haven't tested it but should give you a start, please also be aware of the line at the top of code "Enable Flex DMD (Depricated - not tested)" though)

Thanks Scutters, I was looking at that bit of code trying to figure it out...I'll check later when I get home   :tup:

Scutters, that totally did the trick! Thank you!

#54 Jewer76

Jewer76

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 March 2023 - 10:35 PM

I am trying to figure out what that would be.

Before being able to install the new Freezy 2.0, I had to use the old installer to uninstall Freezy.

Then I installed the new version. The new one did NOT install serum.dll. Is this because serum in now part of the DmdDevice.dll?

I have absolutely no idea why pal/vni are being read just fine, but serum don't and pac didn't.

Ok, some progress perhaps?

I just ran Scared Stiff, a Serum table, and now my DmdDevice.log looks like this:

[6] 2023/03/07 23:33:35.901  INFO | Successfully loaded config from C:\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\DmdDevice.ini. 
 [6] 2023/03/07 23:33:35.957  INFO | Determined color path from assembly path: C:\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\altcolor 
 [6] 2023/03/07 23:33:35.959  INFO | Starting VPinMAME API 2.0.0 through VPinballX.exe. 
 [6] 2023/03/07 23:33:35.959  INFO | Assembly located at C:\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\DmdDevice.dll 
 [6] 2023/03/07 23:33:35.959  INFO | [vpm] Open(0) 
 [6] 2023/03/07 23:33:35.959  INFO | [vpm] Set_4_Colors_Palette(0,...) 
 [6] 2023/03/07 23:33:35.959  INFO | Setting palette to 4 colors... 
 [6] 2023/03/07 23:33:35.959  INFO | [vpm] PM_GameSettings(0, SS_15, 1) 
 [6] 2023/03/07 23:33:35.959  INFO | Enabling game colorization 
 [6] 2023/03/07 23:33:35.959  INFO | Setting game name: SS_15 
 [6] 2023/03/07 23:33:35.959  INFO | Setting color: #FFFF5820 
 [6] 2023/03/07 23:33:35.976  WARN | Error initializing colorizer: Unable to load DLL 'serum.dll': Det angivne modul blev ikke fundet. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E) System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'serum.dll': Det angivne modul blev ikke fundet. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
   at LibDmd.Converter.Serum.Serum.Serum_Load(String altcolorpath, String romname, Int32& width, Int32& height, UInt32& numColors, UInt32& triggernb)
   at LibDmd.Converter.Serum.Serum..ctor(String altcolorPath, String romName) in C:\Development\dmd-extensions-v2022\LibDmd\Converter\Serum\Serum.cs:line 66
   at LibDmd.DmdDevice.DmdDevice.SetupColorizer() in C:\Development\dmd-extensions-v2022\LibDmd\DmdDevice\DmdDevice.cs:line 212
 [6] 2023/03/07 23:33:35.976  INFO | No palette file found at C:\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\altcolor\SS_15\pin2dmd.pal. 
 [6] 2023/03/07 23:33:35.976  INFO | ScaleToHd = False 
 [6] 2023/03/07 23:33:35.976  INFO | Opening virtual display... 
[11] 2023/03/07 23:33:36.020  INFO | Found B2S, moving behind DMD
[11] 2023/03/07 23:33:36.036  INFO | Added VirtualDMD renderer. 
[11] 2023/03/07 23:33:36.037  INFO | Transformation options: Resize=Fit, HFlip=False, VFlip=False 
[11] 2023/03/07 23:33:36.037  INFO | Applying palette to render graphs. 
[11] 2023/03/07 23:33:36.037  INFO | Setting up 2-bit VPM Graph for 1 destination(s) 
[11] 2023/03/07 23:33:36.037  INFO | Connecting VPM 2-bit Source to Dmd (Gray2 => Gray2) 
[11] 2023/03/07 23:33:36.054  INFO | Setting up 4-bit VPM Graph for 1 destination(s) 
[11] 2023/03/07 23:33:36.054  INFO | Connecting VPM 4-bit Source to Dmd (Gray4 => Gray4) 
[11] 2023/03/07 23:33:36.054  INFO | Setting up RGB24-bit VPM Graph for 1 destination(s) 
[11] 2023/03/07 23:33:36.054  INFO | Connecting VPM RGB24 Source to Dmd (Rgb24 => Rgb24) 
[11] 2023/03/07 23:33:36.054  INFO | Setting up Alphanumeric VPM Graph for 1 destination(s) 
[11] 2023/03/07 23:33:36.200  INFO | Creating FBOs for 128x32 
 [6] 2023/03/07 23:33:44.861  INFO | [vpm] Close(0) 
 [6] 2023/03/07 23:33:44.861  INFO | Closing up. 
 [6] 2023/03/07 23:33:44.868  INFO | Source for 1 renderer(s) stopped. 
 [6] 2023/03/07 23:33:44.868  INFO | Source for 0 renderer(s) stopped. 

It seems like VPX is actually looking for the Serum.dll file, but in a place that I have no idea where comes from.

Could this be it, and what can I do to make VPX look for Serum.dll the correct place? (which is in the VpinMAME folder - the new Freezy installer didn't put it there. I had to myself).

#55 Mike DA Spike

Mike DA Spike

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 08 March 2023 - 03:40 AM

Its not vpx that is looking for the serum.dll, but dmddevice.dll is lookong for it (whats in the name?).
So the file is in the folder when it gave the error 'Det angivne modul blev ikke fundet' ? Did you unlock the file ?

Looks like file C:\Development\dmd-extensions-v2022\LibDmd\Converter\Serum\Serum.cs is not from your pc, but properly from freezy.
I will check later how my cabinet works if I have of SS the serum color file and delete the serum.dll

#56 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 08 March 2023 - 04:33 AM

And tell us where you fine them

#57 Mike DA Spike

Mike DA Spike

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 08 March 2023 - 05:05 AM

Just checked.
Freezy's new version 2.0 does not need an additional serum.dll

I downloaded the dmdext-v2.0.0-x86.zip, deleted the files dmddevice.dll, serum.dll and pin2color.dll from my \visualpinball\vpinmame folder.

From th zip, I only extracted dmddevice.dll to the same folder, started SS and have colored via serum 

This is what my logs shows :

[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.132  INFO | Successfully loaded config from D:\pinball\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\DmdDevice.ini. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.239  INFO | Determined color path from assembly path: D:\pinball\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\altcolor 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.243  INFO | Starting VPinMAME API 2.0.0 through VPinballX.exe. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.243  INFO | Assembly located at D:\pinball\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\DmdDevice.dll 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.243  INFO | [vpm] Open(0) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.243  INFO | [vpm] Set_4_Colors_Palette(0,...) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.243  INFO | Setting palette to 4 colors... 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.243  INFO | [vpm] PM_GameSettings(0, SS_15, 1) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.243  INFO | Enabling game colorization 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.243  INFO | Setting game name: SS_15 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.243  INFO | Setting color: #FFFF5820 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.619  INFO | Serum colorizer v1.3 initialized. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.619  INFO | Loading colorization at D:\pinball\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\altcolor\SS_15\SS_15.cRZ... 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.619  INFO | Checking port COM5 for PinDMDv3... 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.768  INFO | Trusting that PinDMDv3 sits on port COM5. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.768  INFO | Colored 4-bit frames for PinDMDv3 enabled. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.870  INFO | Added PinDMDv3 renderer. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.870 ERROR | [PinUpOutput] Attempt to find PuP_Trigger function but dmddevicePUP.dll is outdated 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.870  INFO | PinUP DLL starting SS_15... 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.870  INFO | Added PinUP renderer. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.870  INFO | Transformation options: Resize=Fit, HFlip=False, VFlip=False 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.870  INFO | Just clearing palette, colorization is done by converter. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.882  INFO | Setting up 2-bit Colored VPM Graph for 2 destination(s) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.882  INFO | Connecting Serum to PinDMD v3 (ColoredGray6 => Rgb24) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.900  INFO | Connecting VPM 2-bit Source to PinUP Writer (Gray2 => Gray2) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.900  INFO | Setting up 4-bit VPM Graph for 2 destination(s) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.900  INFO | Connecting VPM 4-bit Source to PinDMD v3 (Gray4 => Gray4) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.900  INFO | Connecting VPM 4-bit Source to PinUP Writer (Gray4 => Gray4) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.900  INFO | Setting up RGB24-bit VPM Graph for 2 destination(s) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.900  INFO | Connecting VPM RGB24 Source to PinDMD v3 (Rgb24 => Rgb24) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.900  INFO | Connecting VPM RGB24 Source to PinUP Writer (Rgb24 => Bitmap) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.900  INFO | Setting up Alphanumeric VPM Graph for 2 destination(s) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:54:18.078  INFO | [vpm] Close(0) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:54:18.078  INFO | Closing up. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:54:18.237  INFO | Source for 3 renderer(s) stopped. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:54:18.242  INFO | Source for 2 renderer(s) stopped. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:54:18.242  INFO | Source for 0 renderer(s) stopped. 

Maybe the DLL makes an error, because your system is set to another language or locale setting or something.
I tried to set my device to Danish (as I thought that is your language) but still working for me.

EDIT: I could reproduce your error (not the same, but kind of...) :

[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.171  INFO | Successfully loaded config from D:\pinball\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\DmdDevice.ini. 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | Determined color path from assembly path: D:\pinball\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\altcolor 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | Starting VPinMAME API 2.0.0 through VPinballX.exe. 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | Assembly located at D:\pinball\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\DmdDevice.dll 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | [vpm] Open(0) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | [vpm] Set_4_Colors_Palette(0,...) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | Setting palette to 4 colors... 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | [vpm] PM_GameSettings(0, SS_15, 1) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | Enabling game colorization 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | Setting game name: SS_15 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | Setting color: #FFFF5820 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.658  WARN | Error initializing colorizer: Unable to find an entry point named 'Serum_GetMinorVersion' in DLL 'serum.dll'. System.EntryPointNotFoundException: Unable to find an entry point named 'Serum_GetMinorVersion' in DLL 'serum.dll'.
   at LibDmd.Converter.Serum.Serum.Serum_GetMinorVersion()
   at LibDmd.DmdDevice.DmdDevice.SetupColorizer() in C:\Development\dmd-extensions-v2022\LibDmd\DmdDevice\DmdDevice.cs:line 214
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.663  INFO | No palette file found at D:\pinball\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\altcolor\SS_15\[[Pin2DMD uses stolen and/or infringes IP. PinDMD is the genuine product ;) ] uses stolen and/or infringes IP. PinDMD is the genuine product ;) ].pal. 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.663  INFO | ScaleToHd = False 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.663  INFO | Checking port COM5 for PinDMDv3... 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.814  INFO | Trusting that PinDMDv3 sits on port COM5. 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.814  INFO | Colored 4-bit frames for PinDMDv3 enabled. 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.915  INFO | Added PinDMDv3 renderer. 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.915 ERROR | [PinUpOutput] Attempt to find PuP_Trigger function but dmddevicePUP.dll is outdated 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.915  INFO | PinUP DLL starting SS_15... 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.915  INFO | Added PinUP renderer. 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.915  INFO | Transformation options: Resize=Fit, HFlip=False, VFlip=False 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.915  INFO | Applying palette to render graphs. 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.915  INFO | Setting up 2-bit VPM Graph for 2 destination(s) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.935  INFO | Connecting VPM 2-bit Source to PinDMD v3 (Gray2 => Gray2) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.935  INFO | Connecting VPM 2-bit Source to PinUP Writer (Gray2 => Gray2) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.935  INFO | Setting up 4-bit VPM Graph for 2 destination(s) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.935  INFO | Connecting VPM 4-bit Source to PinDMD v3 (Gray4 => Gray4) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.935  INFO | Connecting VPM 4-bit Source to PinUP Writer (Gray4 => Gray4) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.935  INFO | Setting up RGB24-bit VPM Graph for 2 destination(s) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.935  INFO | Connecting VPM RGB24 Source to PinDMD v3 (Rgb24 => Rgb24) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.935  INFO | Connecting VPM RGB24 Source to PinUP Writer (Rgb24 => Bitmap) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.935  INFO | Setting up Alphanumeric VPM Graph for 2 destination(s) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:56.983  INFO | [vpm] Close(0) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:56.983  INFO | Closing up. 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:57.136  INFO | Source for 2 renderer(s) stopped. 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:57.136  INFO | Source for 0 renderer(s) stopped. 

This is caused when Serum.dll and pin2color.dll are in the same folder as FREEZY's dmddevice.dll. Remove those 2 files and your Serum will work

Edited by Mike DA Spike, 08 March 2023 - 05:22 AM.

#58 Jewer76

Jewer76

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 March 2023 - 07:33 AM

And tell us where you fine them

Thanks Outhere.

I searched the entire drive and found a lot of them - though I knew I would and am not sure if it matters.

Of course there is the one in the VPinMAME folder. Within that same folder are a few subfolders named pindmd1, pindmd2 and so forth, that also had dmddevice.dll. Tried removing them, but made no change.

Then I have a bunch of them in folders on the desktop, since this is where I quickly make backups of the VPinMAME folder whenever I am trying to do something new.

And then on my C: drive I have a backup folder of Visual Pinball from way back. It's there too.

I don't see any other placements in my active Visual Pinball folder or subfolders.

Just checked.
Freezy's new version 2.0 does not need an additional serum.dll

I downloaded the dmdext-v2.0.0-x86.zip, deleted the files dmddevice.dll, serum.dll and pin2color.dll from my \visualpinball\vpinmame folder.

From th zip, I only extracted dmddevice.dll to the same folder, started SS and have colored via serum 

This is what my logs shows :

[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.132  INFO | Successfully loaded config from D:\pinball\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\DmdDevice.ini. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.239  INFO | Determined color path from assembly path: D:\pinball\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\altcolor 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.243  INFO | Starting VPinMAME API 2.0.0 through VPinballX.exe. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.243  INFO | Assembly located at D:\pinball\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\DmdDevice.dll 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.243  INFO | [vpm] Open(0) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.243  INFO | [vpm] Set_4_Colors_Palette(0,...) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.243  INFO | Setting palette to 4 colors... 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.243  INFO | [vpm] PM_GameSettings(0, SS_15, 1) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.243  INFO | Enabling game colorization 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.243  INFO | Setting game name: SS_15 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.243  INFO | Setting color: #FFFF5820 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.619  INFO | Serum colorizer v1.3 initialized. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.619  INFO | Loading colorization at D:\pinball\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\altcolor\SS_15\SS_15.cRZ... 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.619  INFO | Checking port COM5 for PinDMDv3... 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.768  INFO | Trusting that PinDMDv3 sits on port COM5. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.768  INFO | Colored 4-bit frames for PinDMDv3 enabled. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.870  INFO | Added PinDMDv3 renderer. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.870 ERROR | [PinUpOutput] Attempt to find PuP_Trigger function but dmddevicePUP.dll is outdated 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.870  INFO | PinUP DLL starting SS_15... 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.870  INFO | Added PinUP renderer. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.870  INFO | Transformation options: Resize=Fit, HFlip=False, VFlip=False 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.870  INFO | Just clearing palette, colorization is done by converter. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.882  INFO | Setting up 2-bit Colored VPM Graph for 2 destination(s) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.882  INFO | Connecting Serum to PinDMD v3 (ColoredGray6 => Rgb24) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.900  INFO | Connecting VPM 2-bit Source to PinUP Writer (Gray2 => Gray2) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.900  INFO | Setting up 4-bit VPM Graph for 2 destination(s) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.900  INFO | Connecting VPM 4-bit Source to PinDMD v3 (Gray4 => Gray4) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.900  INFO | Connecting VPM 4-bit Source to PinUP Writer (Gray4 => Gray4) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.900  INFO | Setting up RGB24-bit VPM Graph for 2 destination(s) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.900  INFO | Connecting VPM RGB24 Source to PinDMD v3 (Rgb24 => Rgb24) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.900  INFO | Connecting VPM RGB24 Source to PinUP Writer (Rgb24 => Bitmap) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:53:57.900  INFO | Setting up Alphanumeric VPM Graph for 2 destination(s) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:54:18.078  INFO | [vpm] Close(0) 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:54:18.078  INFO | Closing up. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:54:18.237  INFO | Source for 3 renderer(s) stopped. 
[15] 2023/03/08 05:54:18.242  INFO | Source for 0 renderer(s) stopped. 

Maybe the DLL makes an error, because your system is set to another language or locale setting or something.
I tried to set my device to Danish (as I thought that is your language) but still working for me.

EDIT: I could reproduce your error (not the same, but kind of...) :

[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.171  INFO | Successfully loaded config from D:\pinball\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\DmdDevice.ini. 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | Determined color path from assembly path: D:\pinball\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\altcolor 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | Starting VPinMAME API 2.0.0 through VPinballX.exe. 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | Assembly located at D:\pinball\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\DmdDevice.dll 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | [vpm] Open(0) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | [vpm] Set_4_Colors_Palette(0,...) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | Setting palette to 4 colors... 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | [vpm] PM_GameSettings(0, SS_15, 1) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | Enabling game colorization 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | Setting game name: SS_15 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.280  INFO | Setting color: #FFFF5820 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.658  WARN | Error initializing colorizer: Unable to find an entry point named 'Serum_GetMinorVersion' in DLL 'serum.dll'. System.EntryPointNotFoundException: Unable to find an entry point named 'Serum_GetMinorVersion' in DLL 'serum.dll'.
   at LibDmd.Converter.Serum.Serum.Serum_GetMinorVersion()
   at LibDmd.DmdDevice.DmdDevice.SetupColorizer() in C:\Development\dmd-extensions-v2022\LibDmd\DmdDevice\DmdDevice.cs:line 214
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.663  INFO | No palette file found at D:\pinball\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\altcolor\SS_15\[[[Pin2DMD uses stolen and/or infringes IP. PinDMD is the genuine product ;) ] uses stolen and/or infringes IP. PinDMD is the genuine product ;) ] uses stolen and/or infringes IP. PinDMD is the genuine product ;) ].pal. 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.663  INFO | ScaleToHd = False 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.663  INFO | Checking port COM5 for PinDMDv3... 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.814  INFO | Trusting that PinDMDv3 sits on port COM5. 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.814  INFO | Colored 4-bit frames for PinDMDv3 enabled. 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.915  INFO | Added PinDMDv3 renderer. 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.915 ERROR | [PinUpOutput] Attempt to find PuP_Trigger function but dmddevicePUP.dll is outdated 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.915  INFO | PinUP DLL starting SS_15... 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.915  INFO | Added PinUP renderer. 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.915  INFO | Transformation options: Resize=Fit, HFlip=False, VFlip=False 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.915  INFO | Applying palette to render graphs. 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.915  INFO | Setting up 2-bit VPM Graph for 2 destination(s) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.935  INFO | Connecting VPM 2-bit Source to PinDMD v3 (Gray2 => Gray2) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.935  INFO | Connecting VPM 2-bit Source to PinUP Writer (Gray2 => Gray2) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.935  INFO | Setting up 4-bit VPM Graph for 2 destination(s) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.935  INFO | Connecting VPM 4-bit Source to PinDMD v3 (Gray4 => Gray4) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.935  INFO | Connecting VPM 4-bit Source to PinUP Writer (Gray4 => Gray4) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.935  INFO | Setting up RGB24-bit VPM Graph for 2 destination(s) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.935  INFO | Connecting VPM RGB24 Source to PinDMD v3 (Rgb24 => Rgb24) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.935  INFO | Connecting VPM RGB24 Source to PinUP Writer (Rgb24 => Bitmap) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:51.935  INFO | Setting up Alphanumeric VPM Graph for 2 destination(s) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:56.983  INFO | [vpm] Close(0) 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:56.983  INFO | Closing up. 
[16] 2023/03/08 06:17:57.136  INFO | Source for 0 renderer(s) stopped. 

This is caused when Serum.dll and pin2color.dll are in the same folder as FREEZY's dmddevice.dll. Remove those 2 files and your Serum will work

You being so close to reproduce my error really got my hopes up, but sadly still no luck.

I checked the VPinMAME folder for the serum.dll and the pin2color.dll. Only had the serum.dll left and deleted it. No change.

Then I tried installing the DmdDevice.dll again - this time not through the installer, but just getting the zip from Freezy, and only transfering that single file. No change.

The thing that really puzzles me is that the new DmdDevice.dll should now contain the serum.dll (so to speak, if I understand correctly), yes?

The error in my DmdDevice.log that is in Danish (good catch, Mike), states something like this: "The specified module was not found". Does this imply that it is looking in the DmdDevice.dll but am unable to find the serum part?

If so, how can this be?

#59 Mike DA Spike

Mike DA Spike

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 08 March 2023 - 09:04 AM

Idk how it actually works, but looks indeed that freezy implemented it in his code.
You can creat a github issue for this and he can take a look. I'm really out of options. Sorry

#60 Jewer76

Jewer76

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 March 2023 - 10:32 AM

Idk how it actually works, but looks indeed that freezy implemented it in his code.
You can creat a github issue for this and he can take a look. I'm really out of options. Sorry

I totally understand. Thanks for taking so much interest in my problem - it is greatly appreciated.

Will try and create a github issue. Never been there, other than get the files, so where exactly do I go about doing it?