Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

4 GB patch for Future Pinball and BAM. A must have!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,818 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Too many to choose...

Contributor

Posted 06 June 2022 - 10:59 PM

Future Pinball is.... OLD.

Future Pinball is an older 32 bit program, which means that (by default) it's only allowed to access up to 2 GB of ram to use. Windows did this with the assumption that anyone running a 32 bit program in a 32 bit version of Windows (which can only access 4 GB total) will need 2 GB of ram for Windows and anything else running in the background.

Much has changed since 2008! Today, most everyone is using a 64 bit version of Windows, and the RAM access limitations for 32 bit apps is no longer an issue since Windows can access far beyond 4 GB of ram. So anyone who has 6 GB or more of ram (most people today have at least 8 GB or more) can make use of up to 4 GB for any 32 bit application.

MORE! Gimme MORE!

Now everyone (with 6 GB ram or higher and 64 bit Windows) can change both Future Pinball and BAM so they can access up to 4 GB now instead of 2 GB. This will allow FP much more room to breath, and have less chances of crashing for certain tables. Newer modern BAM based tables (ok, usually my releases) are getting to the point where they are pushing that 2 GB limit with Future Pinball.

Hacks not needed!

In the past (before the days of BAM) there were previous hacked versions of the FP exe that had the ability to access more ram, including the Zed 64 bit versions. To be clear, these were never "64 bit" version of FP, but they simply allowed it to access up to 4 GB of ram. The problem was, that because these were hacked / modified exe, some of them caused other issues (such as missing light flares, light flares that passed through things, invisible drop targets, wouldn't work with other programs such as DOFLinx, etc).

Today, it is always recommended to only use the original FP exe, as there is no need to use a hacked version of the FP exe. BAM has included all the extra features we would ever need.

REQUIREMENTS

- 64 bit version of Windows
- 6 GB or more of ram
- original unmodified version of Future Pinball.exe
- 4 GB patch applied to FuturePinball.exe and FPLoader.exe

4 GB Patch for 32 bit programs

Since everyone should be using the original FuturePinball.exe, how do we allow it to use up to 4 GB of ram? We use this handy little app located here:

Just download it to your Future Pinball folder, run 4gb_patch.exe, and apply it to your Future Pinball.exe and FPLoader.exe (in BAM folder and BAM-OpenVR folder if using that). Don't worry it will backup the original files for you! This does not hack the FuturePinball.exe. It simply changes a flag on it that Windows will recognize to allow it to access up to 4 GB of ram.

That's all you need to do!

RF7TvMx.png

Set BAM to Windows 8 Compatibility Settings

Recent updates to Windows 10 and Windows 11 cause Future Pinball-BAM to crash once a table starts up for many people. You need to change FPLoader.exe (in BAM folder and BAM-OpenVR folder if using that) to Windows 8 Compatibility settings.

0ofHh2c.png

Updating BAM

Whenever you update BAM in the future, don't forget to reapply the 4 GB patch to the new copy of FPLoader.exe!

Anti-Virus / Defender

It's possible that this new patched file may get flagged depending on how your anti-virus / Windows Defender is setup. This is not uncommon when applying a patch / modification to a Windows program. Most people have no issue, but some have said they needed to add exceptions to the Future Pinball folder to be able to apply the 4 GB patch.

Seems to work fine with other apps that are used with Future Pinball

There was concern in the past that running a hacked version of the FuturePinball.exe would not allow other programs such as DOFLinx, FutureDMD, FP Intercept, etc to work correctly. We are not using those with this patch. We are using the original FP exe.

Since applying this 4 GB patch, I have had no problems getting the following to run in any mode (desktop, arcade/cabinet mode, vr, etc)

- DOFLinx
- DOF for PinEvent
- Pinup Player for PinEvent
- PUP DMD and PUP Stream for PinEvent
- DMDExt (for mirroring FP DMDs to real or LCD monitors)
- all BAM features
- VR

BIG Tables coming out in the future will need this!

I can tell you that I will now most likely be using more than the 2 GB limit on some of my future releases such as Silent Hill and RetroFlair 2.

So you may as well update Future Pinball and BAM to allow it to use 4 GB now. :)

Let me know if you experience any issues with using this 4 GB patch!

Edited by TerryRed, 10 July 2022 - 04:34 PM.

#2 TT11

TT11

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Bally Kiss & Playboy, Stern Kiss & Playboy

• 360 Gamer Tag: PoundedElliepup

Posted 07 June 2022 - 06:54 AM

From one Terry to another - Fantastic Work.  I will patch my system today!

#3 MPTech

MPTech

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family

Posted 07 June 2022 - 09:28 PM

I DL'd the 4gb_patch.exe and will run it this evening.
Can I set the Windows 8 Compatibility Settings, even if I haven't experienced any issues?  Will it hurt anything to set it?

Thanks for the heads-up on this patch Terry, looking forward to new & exciting FP improvements.

#4 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,818 posts

Contributor

Posted 08 June 2022 - 12:31 AM

I DL'd the 4gb_patch.exe and will run it this evening.
Can I set the Windows 8 Compatibility Settings, even if I haven't experienced any issues?  Will it hurt anything to set it?

Thanks for the heads-up on this patch Terry, looking forward to new & exciting FP improvements.

Yes, you can still run the Windows 8 compatibility setting on FPLoader.exe

#5 V3L3TIN3

V3L3TIN3

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• Favorite Pinball: freddy a nightmare on elm st

Posted 27 August 2022 - 05:47 PM

I recently updated my ram now I am wondering if I can use this patch in vpx?? Anyone tried it?

#6 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,818 posts

Contributor

Posted 27 August 2022 - 09:19 PM

I recently updated my ram now I am wondering if I can use this patch in vpx?? Anyone tried it?

I think VPX has this flag enabled already.

#7 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 27 August 2022 - 09:48 PM

I think VPX has this flag enabled already.

VPX is already compiled this way, yes

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#8 V3L3TIN3

V3L3TIN3

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• Favorite Pinball: freddy a nightmare on elm st

Posted 28 August 2022 - 12:04 AM

Oh ok thanks so much! You guys are great! Much love

#9 bzn83

bzn83

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: playboy

Posted 11 September 2022 - 03:41 PM

Future Pinball is.... OLD.

Future Pinball is an older 32 bit program, which means that (by default) it's only allowed to access up to 2 GB of ram to use. Windows did this with the assumption that anyone running a 32 bit program in a 32 bit version of Windows (which can only access 4 GB total) will need 2 GB of ram for Windows and anything else running in the background.

Much has changed since 2008! Today, most everyone is using a 64 bit version of Windows, and the RAM access limitations for 32 bit apps is no longer an issue since Windows can access far beyond 4 GB of ram. So anyone who has 6 GB or more of ram (most people today have at least 8 GB or more) can make use of up to 4 GB for any 32 bit application.

MORE! Gimme MORE!

Now everyone (with 6 GB ram or higher and 64 bit Windows) can change both Future Pinball and BAM so they can access up to 4 GB now instead of 2 GB. This will allow FP much more room to breath, and have less chances of crashing for certain tables. Newer modern BAM based tables (ok, usually my releases) are getting to the point where they are pushing that 2 GB limit with Future Pinball.

Hacks not needed!

In the past (before the days of BAM) there were previous hacked versions of the FP exe that had the ability to access more ram, including the Zed 64 bit versions. To be clear, these were never "64 bit" version of FP, but they simply allowed it to access up to 4 GB of ram. The problem was, that because these were hacked / modified exe, some of them caused other issues (such as missing light flares, light flares that passed through things, invisible drop targets, wouldn't work with other programs such as DOFLinx, etc).

Today, it is always recommended to only use the original FP exe, as there is no need to use a hacked version of the FP exe. BAM has included all the extra features we would ever need.

REQUIREMENTS

- 64 bit version of Windows
- 6 GB or more of ram
- original unmodified version of Future Pinball.exe
- 4 GB patch applied to FuturePinball.exe and FPLoader.exe

4 GB Patch for 32 bit programs

Since everyone should be using the original FuturePinball.exe, how do we allow it to use up to 4 GB of ram? We use this handy little app located here:

Just download it to your Future Pinball folder, run 4gb_patch.exe, and apply it to your Future Pinball.exe and FPLoader.exe (in BAM folder and BAM-OpenVR folder if using that). Don't worry it will backup the original files for you! This does not hack the FuturePinball.exe. It simply changes a flag on it that Windows will recognize to allow it to access up to 4 GB of ram.

That's all you need to do!

RF7TvMx.png

Set BAM to Windows 8 Compatibility Settings

Recent updates to Windows 10 and Windows 11 cause Future Pinball-BAM to crash once a table starts up for many people. You need to change FPLoader.exe (in BAM folder and BAM-OpenVR folder if using that) to Windows 8 Compatibility settings.

0ofHh2c.png

Updating BAM

Whenever you update BAM in the future, don't forget to reapply the 4 GB patch to the new copy of FPLoader.exe!

Anti-Virus / Defender

It's possible that this new patched file may get flagged depending on how your anti-virus / Windows Defender is setup. This is not uncommon when applying a patch / modification to a Windows program. Most people have no issue, but some have said they needed to add exceptions to the Future Pinball folder to be able to apply the 4 GB patch.

Seems to work fine with other apps that are used with Future Pinball

There was concern in the past that running a hacked version of the FuturePinball.exe would not allow other programs such as DOFLinx, FutureDMD, FP Intercept, etc to work correctly. We are not using those with this patch. We are using the original FP exe.

Since applying this 4 GB patch, I have had no problems getting the following to run in any mode (desktop, arcade/cabinet mode, vr, etc)

- DOFLinx
- DOF for PinEvent
- Pinup Player for PinEvent
- PUP DMD and PUP Stream for PinEvent
- DMDExt (for mirroring FP DMDs to real or LCD monitors)
- all BAM features
- VR

BIG Tables coming out in the future will need this!

I can tell you that I will now most likely be using more than the 2 GB limit on some of my future releases such as Silent Hill and RetroFlair 2.

So you may as well update Future Pinball and BAM to allow it to use 4 GB now. :)

Let me know if you experience any issues with using this 4 GB patch!

Thank you, nice work.

Thierry