regismaltais

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Attack From Mars

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:19 AM

I'm a bit confused regarding where to put some files.

I have some VPX tables that are either unzipped directly into the following folder D:\vPinball\VisualPinball\Tables

and some Virtual pinball that have their own folder under D:\vPinball\VisualPinball\Tables

So what should I do let the subfolder per table or pull off the files under D:\vPinball\VisualPinball\Tables ?

The question is the same for FuturePinball for FPT files

Where I put the POV files ?

The ALTSound.zip and ALTPNG.zip do I have to unzip them and where ?

thanks

#2 GlueSniffinEd

GlueSniffinEd

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Haunted House

Posted 22 October 2021 - 12:54 PM

POV files you can open VPX and the table in question, then import, POV for that table, than save the table.  I don't know if placing a POV file in the tables DIR with the same name as the table will automatically load the POV and leave the table file unchanged.  I usually tweak my own POV manually.

altsound and altcolor files are unzipped to a folder under your pinmame folder.

d:\vpinball\visual pinball\pinmame\altsound\<rom name>  same for altcolor.

You will need to hit F1 when you run the table and enable altsound and/or colorization in pinmame for that table or set it as default for all tables.

#3 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:32 PM

I'm a bit confused regarding where to put some files.

I have some VPX tables that are either unzipped directly into the following folder D:\vPinball\VisualPinball\Tables

and some Virtual pinball that have their own folder under D:\vPinball\VisualPinball\Tables

So what should I do let the subfolder per table or pull off the files under D:\vPinball\VisualPinball\Tables ?

The question is the same for FuturePinball for FPT files

Where I put the POV files ?

The ALTSound.zip and ALTPNG.zip do I have to unzip them and where ?

thanks

POV files go in the table folder and need to have same exact name as the associated table file

Do not import the POV to the table, that is the entire point of having a POV, you can change the view with no actual changes made to the table itself

ALTPNG, not sure sounds like alternate graphics, which you would have to edit the table if that is in fact what they are.

alt sounds get unzipped into your visual pinball\vpinmame\altsound\romname folder

you have to create the romname folder (meaning the folder is the same name as the ROM file the table uses)

FPT files go in the future pinball\tables folder

and VPX table (.VPX files) should go in visual pinball\tables

no need for each table to be unzipped into it's own folder

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#4 garnel

garnel

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 257 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 04 June 2022 - 07:40 PM

Hi,

In which specific directory/subdirectory do the .png files go? I can't find where to put them in vpinmame.

Thank you,

garnel

Edited by garnel, 04 June 2022 - 07:41 PM.

#5 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,454 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.

Posted 04 June 2022 - 08:31 PM

The png files are not used in the table itself, but it also depends on the table.

Some tables uses png, gif and maybe mp4 and wmv for the DMD (which use to be UltraDMD or FlexDMD) These files are quite small and they goe into a folder in the tables folder, and they usually comes with the folder in the zip file.

Other tables use png files for the frontend (PinballX, PinballY and others), and these png files should be placed in the folders of the frontend in use. Usually these PNG are big images of the table. If you don't use any front end, then you don't need these files. I don't use any frontend application so I can't say much more about the folder names :)

These are my tables, sorted by date, all them playable with VPX 7 or newer:

vp.jpg

After 18 years making tables, it is time to take a rest and let new authors do their thing.

I guess at last I'll play some more pinball :). But I'm sure I'll make some table updates from time to time :)

#6 garnel

garnel

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 257 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 04 June 2022 - 08:34 PM

Got it - Thank you!