ryesteve

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Attack From Mars

Posted 21 March 2021 - 03:08 PM

I'm trying to find playlist wheel images, specifically ones that say "By Manufacturer", "By Year", "By Name", and "By Designer".  I've found a bunch of wheel packs some folks have created, but can't find the ones I'm looking for.  Alternatively, a tutorial for idiots that explains in excruciating detail how to create these via a template would be very helpful too.

#2 Conehead

Conehead

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Not sure yet!

Posted 22 March 2021 - 04:26 AM

Watch this.  I've made my own wheels as a result.

#3 ryesteve

ryesteve

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 01:39 PM

Thanks, yeah, I've seen that, but a few issues:

As he says in the video info below it, the playlist wheels are different than the table wheels; they're larger and the silver border ring is thicker to accommodate the embossed text... and I'd have no idea how to put embossed text on that outer ring.

Also, in his tutorial, it's contingent on finding a nice-looking transparent logo image to lay over it.  Don't think I'd find such a thing for these playlist wheels, so I'd need to be able to use the text tool to add something like "By Designer" and not have it look like complete garbage.

#4 Conehead

Conehead

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 05:07 PM

Yes, I know what you mean about the thicker ring and the embossed text.  I also would like to have my playlist wheels made like that, but I don't have the PS tools to do it.  In the meantime I just created my own, which suffice for now until I can get something better.  It's the hobby that keeps on giving...

allwheel10.pngpl_alphabetical10.png

#5 freneticamnesic

freneticamnesic

A Faint Ghost Through the Raindrops

• VIP
  • 3,334 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek, Black Hole, AFM, Fast Draw, Tron, AMH

• 360 Gamer Tag: sixgunsounddd

Posted 22 March 2021 - 10:36 PM

Hard to say what you're looking for. Manufacturer logos?

Or a specific style of image for your wheel? (like those round things up above)

If it's a style, all you need is a template in GIMP (free image editor) and you can crank these out like hula hoops.

If you have a bunch of wheel images you're trying to match the style of, share an example and we'll see what kind of help we can be

#6 Rajo Joey

Rajo Joey

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars, Abra Ca Dabra and many old EM-Tables

Posted 23 March 2021 - 05:50 AM

Take a look in my MEGA-account. In the folder "Templates" are .psd-files you can use and edit. Maybe that's something for you.
https://mega.nz/fold...Ji5hwuYxL6CvQIg

Gesendet von meinem CMR-W09 mit Tapatalk

Rajo Joey - My front-end-files; Hundreds of Audio- and Videorecordings in high quality for Playfield (4k/60FPS) and Backglass (HD), Wheels & POV-Files: The Media-Post

https://www.facebook...02697096474910/

https://www.facebook...oups/VPAddicts/

https://www.facebook...oups/VPjunkies/

#7 ryesteve

ryesteve

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 03:23 PM

Hard to say what you're looking for. Manufacturer logos?

No, those I have in Rajo's archive (thanks!), and also in Rajo's archive (thanks again!) I have stuff like the Alphabet wheel images... what I'm looking to do (and I assume you can do this) is to have those as sub-playlists under a main wheel playlist icon that says "alphabetical" (like Coneheads's above, but to match Rajo's letter images).  What I don't want is a main wheel cluttered with 26 letters, 10-12 manufacturers, 7 or 8 decade icons, etc.  I want the main wheel to just have icons like "By Name", "By Wheel", "By Designer", "By Manufacturer", etc, that then open up into the corresponding playlists.  It's these latter images that I can't seem to find.

#8 ryesteve

ryesteve

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 03:26 PM

So I figured out what font Rajo used for his letter wheel images, and was able to make a parent wheel image that matches it.  I think that'll do for now.

#9 Conehead

Conehead

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 06:14 PM

What font does he use?

#10 ryesteve

ryesteve

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 07:49 PM

Ethnocentric

#11 Rajo Joey

Rajo Joey

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 11:22 AM

So I figured out what font Rajo used for his letter wheel images, and was able to make a parent wheel image that matches it.  I think that'll do for now.

You see the "Font Templates.psd" in the folder?

Attached File  Zwischenablagebild.jpg   114.42KB   8 downloads

Rajo Joey - My front-end-files; Hundreds of Audio- and Videorecordings in high quality for Playfield (4k/60FPS) and Backglass (HD), Wheels & POV-Files: The Media-Post

#12 ryesteve

ryesteve

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 04:06 PM

Yeah, but I wasn't sure what to make of it.  I don't have photoshop, and when I tried to view it with a converter, all I saw was a wheel image that said "record display".  I'm assuming that without a paint program that can open psd files, I wouldn't be able to take advantage of whatever template capabilities are in the file.

#13 Rajo Joey

Rajo Joey

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 05:41 PM

Yeah, but I wasn't sure what to make of it.  I don't have photoshop, and when I tried to view it with a converter, all I saw was a wheel image that said "record display".  I'm assuming that without a paint program that can open psd files, I wouldn't be able to take advantage of whatever template capabilities are in the file.

You can try to open it with gimp. Maybe it works. I don't have tested it.

#14 Friffy1

Friffy1

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Cyclone

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:35 PM

I've made ≈200 wheel images for this type of thing.  Had them all posted up on vpinball.com.  But, so much for that.

I could upload them all here, I suppose.  Never uploaded anything here before so I'm not even sure where one does that.  And it's not immediately obvious how one might attach a file to, say, this message.  (There doesn't appear to be an Attach button.)

So...  I guess somebody could let me know and I could start uploading.  Or maybe I'll figure it out.  Guess we'll see!

- Tom

#15 Rajo Joey

Rajo Joey

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 05:27 PM

I've made ≈200 wheel images for this type of thing.  Had them all posted up on vpinball.com.  But, so much for that.
I could upload them all here, I suppose.  Never uploaded anything here before so I'm not even sure where one does that.  And it's not immediately obvious how one might attach a file to, say, this message.  (There doesn't appear to be an Attach button.)

So...  I guess somebody could let me know and I could start uploading.  Or maybe I'll figure it out.  Guess we'll see!

- Tom

Why not save all your files at MEGA? Then post the link here. That's what I did.

#16 Friffy1

Friffy1

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:14 PM

- Tom

Okay...  I uploaded all of my wheel images.  You can find them all here...  https://www.vpforums...um=&filter_key=

Ohh......  Apparently they need to be "approved."  No idea how long that takes.  I uploaded 6 wheel packs.  Looks like 1 has been approved so far.

I really hate when it's difficult to give back to a community.  Should be the main goal and the easiest thing of all.

Alphabet

Decades

Genres 0-M

Genres N-Z

Manufacturer

Misc

I do make more every so often as I come across new genres.  So, you can expect more in the future.  But this is everything I created for use on my cabinet so far.

Edited by Friffy1, 05 April 2021 - 10:17 PM.

#17 ryesteve

ryesteve

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:22 PM

Thanks!  Grabbing them now.

#18 Friffy1

Friffy1

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 11:06 AM

Yep!  Looks like 2 more have finally been approved.  That's half of them!  Maybe by the end of the week they'll pass whatever criteria is required?

Is this, perhaps, the wrong site for me to pitch my tent?  Is there a site that focuses more on community?  And, perhaps, more on modern virtual pinball?  I mean, I see tutorials and files for VP8 for goodness sake.  VP Guides doesn't even have a VPX section.  Hell, the © on this site says 2009 - 2015.  Has nobody been updating it in 6 YEARS?  Is there a site that's actually current that I'm missing out on?

#19 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,190 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Whitewater

• PS3 Gamer Tag: noahfentz

Contributor

Posted 06 April 2021 - 11:17 AM

Yep!  Looks like 2 more have finally been approved.  That's half of them!  Maybe by the end of the week they'll pass whatever criteria is required?

Is this, perhaps, the wrong site for me to pitch my tent?  Is there a site that focuses more on community?  And, perhaps, more on modern virtual pinball?  I mean, I see tutorials and files for VP8 for goodness sake.  VP Guides doesn't even have a VPX section.  Hell, the on this site says 2009 - 2015.  Has nobody been updating it in 6 YEARS?  Is there a site that's actually current that I'm missing out on?
I've approved all of them. I stagger wheels and tables so they don't dominate the latest uploads list. :)

As for your question, this IS the community website. The other sites, aside from PN, just started their own sites to skirt our rules respecting the industry. Lol

IdleReel.gif RumbleDMD.jpg HS2-DMD.jpg SBM.jpg ww_logo.jpg EK.jpg

T2.jpg Sorcerer.jpg Breakshot.jpg Firepower.jpg GorGar.jpg StarTrek.jpg

My Photobucket Resources
Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can't, You Are Right." - Henry Ford
The future of pinball lives, it just needs to be nurtured!
If you're here to stab me in the back, you're going to have to get in line.

#20 Friffy1

Friffy1

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 11:51 AM

Is this, perhaps, the wrong site for me to pitch my tent?  Is there a site that focuses more on community?  And, perhaps, more on modern virtual pinball?  I mean, I see tutorials and files for VP8 for goodness sake.  VP Guides doesn't even have a VPX section.  Hell, the on this site says 2009 - 2015.  Has nobody been updating it in 6 YEARS?  Is there a site that's actually current that I'm missing out on?
I've approved all of them. I stagger wheels and tables so they don't dominate the latest uploads list. :)

As for your question, this IS the community website. The other sites, aside from PN, just started their own sites to skirt our rules respecting the industry. Lol

Hi!  Thanks for explaining all of that to me.  Interesting about the staggering.  I find that really odd.  I mean, latest is latest regardless of what the content is.  If I want a specific type I can go to that section and sort.  But, I'm not a mod here so I suppose it is what it is!  :-)

The legitimate pinball industry, the content authors, and the community members DEFINITELY need to have mutual respect.  If there's a battle, everyone loses.

I do hope you don't take any offense to anything I've said or will say.  I have my opinions on things and I tend to share them in hopes of mutual understanding.  And, while this thread isn't the right place for it... I really don't get it...  What's with all of the VP8 stuff?  And what's with hardly a mention of VPX.  IMO, anything prior to current (VPX), if kept, should be put into a section called "Legacy" or the like, where people who want to dig for buried treasure can hunt if they'd like.  Keeping things fresh helps those that are new to the hobby quickly and easily identify and locate the tools and support they need to get into this community.  Having a ton of legacy files and information will tend to confuse or overload newcomers.  "Wait...  I have VPX.  Do I need to know about this VP9?  What's PM5?  Oh...  And there's VP8 stuff here too?  I guess I need to read up on that as well?  Too much.  Maybe I'll read it all later and figure it all out."  Let's face it..  There IS a lot needed to get into this hobby.  Visual Pinball, Future Pinball, Freezy, B2S, BAM, UltraDMD...  While some legacy documentation may still be correct, they can easily be updated and stickied as a modern guides that're always up-to-date.

Again, no offense intended!  But, IMO, the site could use some updating.

I'll hop down from my podium now.  LOL

Edited by Friffy1, 06 April 2021 - 11:52 AM.