• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 4,017 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: I guess I like them all, new and old, but I can never remember the rules of newer pinballs

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:55 AM

File Name: JP's VPX Arcade Physics v 3.0

File Submitter: jpsalas

File Submitted: 17 Oct 2020

File Category: Table Templates

First of all I would like to thank my friend Carlos Guizzo for encouraging me to do not give up and finish these physics and tables.
I also want to thank my friend Thalamus for testing and testing my physics and changes.

Why new physics settings? 

The default VPX physics are quite good, as they are described in the text file that comes with VPX: PhysicValues.txt. But there were a few things I wanted to change to make the ball behave more how I think a pinball ball should behave.

These physics changes handles about adjusting the elasticity and friction of all objects in contact with the ball.

So here it is what I wanted to accomplish:

• Stop the ball making stranges stops and changes in speed or direction.
• Increase side to side action.
• Enable flipper tricks like drop catches, cradle separations and backhands.
• Consistent flipper shooting angles.
• Reduce ball rebound on top of a flipper when it is up.
• Better ball bounce on objects, mostly rubbers, both at high speed and at lower speed (at high speed the rubbers should absorb more the hit and the ball should bounce back with less speed, and at low speed the ball should do small jumps on the rubbers)
• An easy way to control the ball speed.
• And to do not hog the cpu with complex mathematics and use what VPX has to offer in its native settings.

You will find several files in the zip:

JP's Arcade Physics v3.0.pdf this file explains all the settings
Rubber_Objects.vpx all the rubber objects you can cut & paste to your own tables
Elasticity_Test.vpx a simple test of the new elasticity settings
JP's Arcade Physics v3.0.vpp table and flipper settings
JP's Physics Materials v3.0.mat the physic materials for easily change the object properties
JP's Arcade Physics v3.0.vbs a simple script you can copy & paste to your tables.

I'll be uploading several of my tables updated with this settings, which you may test. All the tables have version 3.0 even if they are new tables :). Mostly to point out that they include this physics 3.0. Later I'll upload other tables.

These tables will be uploaded today, others will follow.

Attack from Mars 3.0 very good and known table, good for testing as there are many versions of this table. Good for testing backhand shots
Tales of the Arabian Nights v3.0 another good old table, also good for testing the settings, as there are a lot of versions of this table
JP's Avengers LE (Stern - 2012) v3.0    a more modern table, with a lot of precise shots, good for testing the flipper shots
JP's Star Trek LE (Stern 2013) v3.0    another modern table, never released before. I made this table just to see if I could make VPX to play just like in the video series HOW TO PLAY PINBALL by CRAIG PULLEN, as seen here:
https://www.homeleis...o-play-pinball/
JP's Terminator 2 v3.0                          older table, also never released before. I always wanted to make this table, but there have always been good versions of the table, but I made it my way, dark, metallic and with a lot of fire explosions :)
JP's Transformers v3.0    another table with many shots.
JP's Captain Fantastic (Bally 1975) 3.0 and an EM style table. This is a spesial table, just like all the "JP's" series, with some changes :)

All these tables will include other enhancements, like:
- change the table from lighter to darker by holding down the left Magnasave and hitting the Rightmagnasave
- new images, sharoer and in 4k (or similar) resolution.
- a gametime timer to do all the small updates, like flipper tops, rolling sound, and other animations that should happen in realtime.
- new rolling sound routine which includes teh rolling sound, a ball shadow, Roth's ball drop sounds and a ball speed control

This ball speed control is part of the Arcade Physics and without changing the flipper physics you can use this to reduce the speed of the ball while maintaining the good shooting angles.

If you need more explanation then just simply ask in the support thread :) Or in the tables support thread.

Greetings
JP

Click here to download this file

#2 toxie

toxie

Pinball Wizard

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:21 PM

Wow, good stuff.. Do you think we should also update the builtin example tables?

#3 toxie

toxie

Pinball Wizard

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:08 PM

..and just general feedback: all those released tables play very well IMHO (plus, of course, i once again have to point out the insanely small filesizes (while at the same time looking extremely good), and also the nice customized looks like on T2!)

#4 JBear272

JBear272

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Jurassic Park

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:12 AM

Played all of your tables Today, I am a fan. Very well done!

I cannot wait to see more from you with the 3.0 physics, simply amazing.

:love39:  

#5 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 4,017 posts

• Favorite Pinball: I guess I like them all, new and old, but I can never remember the rules of newer pinballs

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:13 AM

Wow, good stuff.. Do you think we should also update the builtin example tables?

Well, my physics are the result of several months, almost half a year, of testing and watching videos. But it is not what other authors may like. For now I should not touch the examples. I'll be adding those physics to more of my tables, and we'll see what other authors think :)

..and just general feedback: all those released tables play very well IMHO (plus, of course, i once again have to point out the insanely small filesizes (while at the same time looking extremely good), and also the nice customized looks like on T2!)

And the sizes have grown a little now, since I didn't compress the PNG files :) But If the source images use to be JPG then I don't see any reason so save them as PNG, since the quality will be the same as JPG and the size is høaf.

The reason the file sizes are so small it is because I use all of what VPX has to offer, I do not make primitives of ramps or walls, I only use primitives for objects that are mostly decoration. All the lightning, metal look are made by VPX, using a small HDRI image. I do not use huge stereo WAV sounds, since the stereo effect is also made by VPX :) So all my sounds a mono, and 22Khz, which is more than enough for mechanical and hit sounds.

#6 ClarkKent

ClarkKent

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

• Flag: Austria

• Favorite Pinball: Q*Bert's Quest, Red's and Ted's Road Show, Dialed In, Big Bang Bar

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:56 AM

I just tried your physics in your new Terminator 3.0. I think it’s different but still not as on the real table. The ball stops way too fast on the flippers when rolling down the inlanes. The bounce on the flippers is too low. And I can still not backhand onto the ramps.

I still think there are some problems in the VPX physics. As far as I remember Mukuste, the guy who massively improved the physics back at the beginnings, announced several improvements which were never done unfortunately...

Edited by ClarkKent, 18 October 2020 - 09:00 AM.

#7 ludovids

ludovids

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

• Favorite Pinball: LOTR MM TAF Tommy TOTAN TZ

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:58 PM

The consistency of flipper shots has improved significantly for me with this release, as compared to others I have tried. For example, flipping the ball up the left ramp should be an easy shot, and now it is.

I also really like the variable brightness via the Magnasave buttons. Makes it easy to get the amount of table brightness you want, as this seems to be a matter of personal preference in addition to being dependent on room brightness.

Thanks JP!

ASRock Z270M Extreme4, i5-7600K OC'd to 5GHz, 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 3200, EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC

Samsung 850 EVO M.2, Samsung UN40JU7100 4K playfield, Samsung SynchMaster 2232 backglass, Pinscape on VirtuaPin Plunger Kit v3

#8 javier1515

javier1515

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 572 posts

• Flag: Argentina

• Favorite Pinball: The Addams Family, Hook

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:05 PM

I agree, the sudden stop on the flippers doesn't let the ball bounce from one flipper to another.
It is true that the pressure for shots on the ramps is now much better but the ball travels it at an excessive speed.

Please do not take this comment wrong, it is only a constructive criticism.

Juan Pablo Everything you do for the community is appreciated. :love39:  :otvclap:  :dblthumb:

"Learning without thought is vain, thought without learning is dangerous." (Confucius)

"Aprender sin pensar es inútil, pensar sin aprender es peligroso". (Confucio)

Please, if you can help me with a small contribution to update my work team and continue to make more tables I will be eternally grateful.

#9 CARLOSGUIZZO

CARLOSGUIZZO

Just a pinball fan ;)

• Gold Supporter
  • 165 posts

• Flag: Brazil

• Favorite Pinball: Shark (Taito do Brasil)

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:13 AM

What an awesome job, my friend! :)

Your contribution to the virtual pinball community is simply invaluable.

You are great! ;)

“Regardless of who you are, regardless of your social position, have always as your goal to have a lot of strength, a lot of determination, and always do everything with a lot of love and faith in God. Because one day, you will get there. Somehow, you will get there”. (Ayrton Senna da Silva)

#10 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:37 AM

I just tried your physics in your new Terminator 3.0. I think it’s different but still not as on the real table. The ball stops way too fast on the flippers when rolling down the inlanes. The bounce on the flippers is too low. And I can still not backhand onto the ramps.

I still think there are some problems in the VPX physics. As far as I remember Mukuste, the guy who massively improved the physics back at the beginnings, announced several improvements which were never done unfortunately...

I agree, the sudden stop on the flippers doesn't let the ball bounce from one flipper to another.
It is true that the pressure for shots on the ramps is now much better but the ball travels it at an excessive speed.

Please do not take this comment wrong, it is only a constructive criticism.

Juan Pablo Everything you do for the community is appreciated. :love39:  :otvclap:  :dblthumb:

About the flippers being hard: Yes, that's how I adjusted them. I found out an elasticity value of 0,85, together with the rest of my settings, was ok for hard or thin runner, and 0,95 for normal thick rubber. This is all preferences, and since the flippers are all different, you may need to adjust them a little for each table. The only parameters you may need to adjust are the start and end angles to suit the angles of the shots of the table, and for the elasticity or ball bounce you may use 0,95 for a more bouncy flippers, and reduce the falloff. The fall off in my settings goes from 0,5 on the posts, which are very bouncy, to 1,7 on the long rubbers, which absorbs a lot the ball speed. So by simply adjusting this falloff you may get the bounce you want on the flippers.

And another thing to get flipper passes from one in lane to the other you'll need to get the end flipper angle quite down too :) But then the shooting angles may change too. With the physics how they are in VPX you will always need to sacrifice something :) I stil think mukuste added the ball physics of a pool or a soccer game :) 

Edited by jpsalas, 19 October 2020 - 04:50 AM.

#11 JLouLoulou

JLouLoulou

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 157 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: Simply play pinball

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:30 AM

JPs, i'm agree with some comments for the flipper setting and is bounce, control and backhand. Can I suggest to you and all this setup for flip?

In counterpart, feeling of rebund in pf elements is very good. And using your script to have very responsive flipper bats with very hight power without high ball velocity resolve some problem for trajectory precision. Great Work!

Edit: I use 0.1 friction for flipper bats ( not 0.4 )
ce96ad0a8d1eb88f66cd9bd7d88830f6.jpg

Envoyé de mon Redmi Pro en utilisant Tapatalk

Edited by JLouLoulou, 20 October 2020 - 04:21 PM.

#12 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 04:20 PM

I'm sure the flippers work fine with your settings, and by increasing the friction you'll increase the shooting angles, and you'll be able to do more backhands. But you may also increase the ball spinn, and I don't want to go back to have a ball that spins like mad, like a soccer ball or a pool ball. Then you'll need to increase the playfield friction to stop a little the extra ball spinn, but then the ball will loose some bounce on the rubbers, and you will need to increase the elasticity, and soon you'll have changed everything. A nice set of  settings is all about balance. Many authors use very high friction, and the tables play fine, because all the values are balanced. I tried to find a friction value that was balanced on all the objects, and to me it should be as low as posible, and a little higher on the rubbers, so the ball still is grabbed by the rubbers. I know the shooting angles in VPX will benefit from a  little more friction, but then the rest of the objects will need to be changed too, otherwise the ball will get too much spinn. 

I know my flippers are not perfect, I concentrated more in the shooting angles, and being able to do some normal tricks, like drop catches, post passes, backhands, and mostly that the shooting angles that are stable, and that they feel natural. Some tricks will be more difficult than others, and some imposible, like tap passes or tip passes, as they need some settings that will break the normal working of the flippers. You may do a tap pass by nudging :). I know that's almost imposible in real pinball, but not in VPX :) Also I use higher end angles to get more predictable shots, but on some tables you'll need to lower the angles to suit the table. On some tables the flippers angles are very low so it is quite difficult to catch the ball. I have seen those low angles in PAPA videos where tables were used in competitions. But in VPX, lower end angles means poor backhands and strait up shots, and they work better with tables with a lot of targets on the sides. 

The main reason I use low friction on about everything is to try to get a more natural ball flow. Still there is enough friction to see the effects on the ball, but not too much that it stops feeling like a small metal ball. 

#13 JLouLoulou

JLouLoulou

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 157 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: Simply play pinball

Posted 20 October 2020 - 04:31 PM

yes i know for Flipper bats friction, i make an edit. I used only 0.1.
I can make tip pass and backhand

Envoyé de mon Redmi Pro en utilisant Tapatalk

#14 javier1515

javier1515

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 572 posts

• Flag: Argentina

• Favorite Pinball: The Addams Family, Hook

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:22 PM

Juan Pablo I totally agree with you regarding the precision of the shots, at least for me it makes no sense to try to hit a right ramp and you can do it once 10 attempts, always at my tables I have tried to make the flippers They are precise so that the sensation of the game is as pleasant as possible and not that you get frustrated by not being able to hit anything.

As you comment .. it can always be edited to adapt the flippers according to the needs of the table, I also thought that with a trigger via script I can reduce the speed of the ball when it travels the ramp  :D

Again I appreciate all the contribution and the time you dedicate so that this hobby continues to grow more and more. 

"Learning without thought is vain, thought without learning is dangerous." (Confucius)

"Aprender sin pensar es inútil, pensar sin aprender es peligroso". (Confucio)

Please, if you can help me with a small contribution to update my work team and continue to make more tables I will be eternally grateful.

#15 wiesshund

wiesshund

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:53 PM

You see what you have started JP?

I will have to replace all of my tables within the month

And i have just got to the point where it isnt game over inside of 4 minutes   :throw:

It counts as a cabinet, right?

eVi4DPF.png

#16 2borG

2borG

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

• Flag: Portugal

• Favorite Pinball: Alien Poker, Theatre of Magic, Transformers

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:30 PM

I've been trying Physics v3.0 on some tables and many play much better than the originals.

I don't really know if it's more realistic or not, but the thing is that I would not play many of them because of the ball behavior (like a ping pong ball), but with v3.0 physics their are very fun to play.

Thanks JPSalas! Great work!!!

#17 wiesshund

wiesshund

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:35 PM

There are a few old EM tables, that i really like a lot, but at the same time, do not like the physics (does that make sense even?)
that i would like to try this on, when i get a chance, if i can figure it out.

Would like to try it on Home Run as a test.

eVi4DPF.png

#18 Samuel Villena

Samuel Villena

Hobbyist

• Platinum Supporter
  • 46 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Pinball FX 3

• PS3 Gamer Tag: Tatsel1982

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:00 PM

Sorry, i'm really new in Virtual Pinball Stuff (i mounted a cabinet like 2 week ago, and I started in august, it was my first new about virtual pinball), so i don't know exactly what i need to do. I mean: If i install the new tables they have the new physics? Or must i place any other thing in visual pinball?

Most concrete: Do i need to place anywhere the vbs and vpp files that you post here, or are included in your new tables? 

Thank you very much. And, another thing @jpsalas, in your web the Avengers Table has wrongs links to vpforum, could you change it?

Thank you and have a great day! 

Pinball Cabinet: i5 2nd generation, 3 displays (32" 720p tv playfield, 19" backglass, 15" dmd), controller: KL25z standalone, no leds, no solenoids (yet), frontend: pinballY, pinball software: visual pinball and pinball fx3.

pinballvirtualparanovatos.com

#19 wiesshund

wiesshund

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:54 PM

Sorry, i'm really new in Virtual Pinball Stuff (i mounted a cabinet like 2 week ago, and I started in august, it was my first new about virtual pinball), so i don't know exactly what i need to do. I mean: If i install the new tables they have the new physics? Or must i place any other thing in visual pinball?

Most concrete: Do i need to place anywhere the vbs and vpp files that you post here, or are included in your new tables? 

Thank you very much. And, another thing @jpsalas, in your web the Avengers Table has wrongs links to vpforum, could you change it?

Thank you and have a great day! 

In JP's 3.0 tables, all that is already in place

For other tables to have it, you have to edit the tables, unless the table author has uploaded a new version stating he has used JP's 3.0 physics

You would user the PDF file in JP's docs as a guide for how to change the table.

I would not recommend putting the VBS anywhere.
Use it as a template for modifying the table's script, as it will not just blindly work for every table as is.
Not all flippers for example, are operated via solenoid callback

the vpp file is an exported example of table physics, you would not put it anywhere per se, as far as your tables go
you would open a table in the editor and choose to import physics, and then point it to that file, and then save the table.

VPX will not just directly make use of it, same for the .MAT file, you would have to import that in materials manager, but it will not magically change things
you have to then go and reassign your table parts to use the imported materials.

It is not a drop in physics solution, but a little toolbox if you will, for table authors.
You can definitely use it, but it will entail you learning a little bit of table editing.

Make a copy of a table you have, and practice incorporating the physics on it, it will begin to make sense then.

eVi4DPF.png

#20 wiesshund

wiesshund

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:57 PM

I have been tinkering with it in stargate a bit, between working

Hand to change many existing audio statements, due to them using parameters defined in original sound routine
but not used or needed in JP's sound routine, or renamed parameters

Had to adjust plunger and autoplunger, as it no longer had the power to launch a ball properly
Due to mass change i am guessing

Had to modify flippers routine to suit the boards flippers

Still have to change a lot of small rubbers and surfaces to use new materials for physics after importing them to materials manager

Now the above is not finding fault with JP's physics at all
Just showing that this is not a drop in and and go type of thing that you toss in and call it done and have all your tables be physics 3.0, as there are probably other people wondering the same thing Samuel is.

You gonna learn some table editing in the process.

But, if i can do it, then you can also, cause i'm pretty clueless with this stuff.
Just copy the table before you go tinkering

Question though @

JPSalas

Do you recommend these flipper power values even for OLD EM tables that would have normally had weak and slow ramping and small flippers in real life?
Say something like Home Run?

Edited by wiesshund, 22 October 2020 - 10:58 PM.

eVi4DPF.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VPX, physics, arcade