File Name: JP's VPX Arcade Physics v 3.0
File Submitter: jpsalas
File Submitted: 17 Oct 2020
File Category: Table Templates
First of all I would like to thank my friend Carlos Guizzo for encouraging me to do not give up and finish these physics and tables.
I also want to thank my friend Thalamus for testing and testing my physics and changes.
Why new physics settings?
The default VPX physics are quite good, as they are described in the text file that comes with VPX: PhysicValues.txt. But there were a few things I wanted to change to make the ball behave more how I think a pinball ball should behave.
These physics changes handles about adjusting the elasticity and friction of all objects in contact with the ball.
So here it is what I wanted to accomplish:
• Stop the ball making stranges stops and changes in speed or direction.
• Increase side to side action.
• Enable flipper tricks like drop catches, cradle separations and backhands.
• Consistent flipper shooting angles.
• Reduce ball rebound on top of a flipper when it is up.
• Better ball bounce on objects, mostly rubbers, both at high speed and at lower speed (at high speed the rubbers should absorb more the hit and the ball should bounce back with less speed, and at low speed the ball should do small jumps on the rubbers)
• An easy way to control the ball speed.
• And to do not hog the cpu with complex mathematics and use what VPX has to offer in its native settings.
You will find several files in the zip:
JP's Arcade Physics v3.0.pdf this file explains all the settings
Rubber_Objects.vpx all the rubber objects you can cut & paste to your own tables
Elasticity_Test.vpx a simple test of the new elasticity settings
JP's Arcade Physics v3.0.vpp table and flipper settings
JP's Physics Materials v3.0.mat the physic materials for easily change the object properties
JP's Arcade Physics v3.0.vbs a simple script you can copy & paste to your tables.
I'll be uploading several of my tables updated with this settings, which you may test. All the tables have version 3.0 even if they are new tables . Mostly to point out that they include this physics 3.0. Later I'll upload other tables.
These tables will be uploaded today, others will follow.
Attack from Mars 3.0 very good and known table, good for testing as there are many versions of this table. Good for testing backhand shots
Tales of the Arabian Nights v3.0 another good old table, also good for testing the settings, as there are a lot of versions of this table
JP's Avengers LE (Stern - 2012) v3.0 a more modern table, with a lot of precise shots, good for testing the flipper shots
JP's Star Trek LE (Stern 2013) v3.0 another modern table, never released before. I made this table just to see if I could make VPX to play just like in the video series HOW TO PLAY PINBALL by CRAIG PULLEN, as seen here:
JP's Terminator 2 v3.0 older table, also never released before. I always wanted to make this table, but there have always been good versions of the table, but I made it my way, dark, metallic and with a lot of fire explosions
JP's Transformers v3.0 another table with many shots.
JP's Captain Fantastic (Bally 1975) 3.0 and an EM style table. This is a spesial table, just like all the "JP's" series, with some changes
All these tables will include other enhancements, like:
- change the table from lighter to darker by holding down the left Magnasave and hitting the Rightmagnasave
- new images, sharoer and in 4k (or similar) resolution.
- a gametime timer to do all the small updates, like flipper tops, rolling sound, and other animations that should happen in realtime.
- new rolling sound routine which includes teh rolling sound, a ball shadow, Roth's ball drop sounds and a ball speed control
This ball speed control is part of the Arcade Physics and without changing the flipper physics you can use this to reduce the speed of the ball while maintaining the good shooting angles.
If you need more explanation then just simply ask in the support thread Or in the tables support thread.