Photo
- - - - -

OpenComposite fix - Performance boost for Oculus users!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 AlMightyBob

AlMightyBob

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Black Knight 2000

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:27 AM

Hey folks, made a nice performance discovery today for Oculus users! There's a 3rd party project called OpenComposite that aims to streamline the additional computing load of having to run SteamVR-bound games (like VPXVR) through the Oculus runtime. It's been around a while but when used in VPXVR, it would simply freeze when loading most tables. No bueno.
I'm a rank amateur but I spent today playing with the VPXVR source code seeing what I could learn about it and Visual Studio seemed to point to a deadlock between a bunch of threads relating to sound functions when this crash occured. I couldn't make heads or tails of the multithreading code but later I saw that OpenComposite has an Audio Patching feature that can be optionally disabled. It's really just a minor convenience feature so it was worth a try and hey presto! Works fantastic!

The Fix
  1. Install OpenComposite as you normally would by simply replacing openvr_api.dll in your Visual Pinball folder with the one from the OC website. Delete the original or rename it in case you want to revert. https://gitlab.com/z...aster/README.md
  2. Create a new text file in the same folder called opencomposite.ini and inside it simply add the line enableAudio=false

Done! Devilishly simple.
My performance has gotten a significant boost on my AMD system with a Rift CV1. I can even crank the settings right up now! I think it should help with all Oculus devices but if folk can test it out and report back, that would be appreciated!

Update: Some have reported rendering 'weirdness' and positions ingame being off so if things aren't right then hit the 'Reset to Defaults' button and go from there. The Supersampling Factor option may be causing issue just now so set to default 1.0 and use external Supersampling tools (like Oculus Tray Tool) if you still want to increase it (you should if your system can handle it!). OpenComposite itself can do this actually by simply adding another line to the opencomposite.ini file -->  supersampleRatio=1.5 if you want the equivalent of 150% in SteamVR. 1.0=100%(default), 2.0=200%, etc.

Edited by AlMightyBob, 01 July 2020 - 06:34 PM.

#2 Sixtoed

Sixtoed

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: Judge Dredd

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:41 AM

Works really well.
Devs be warned when you quit out of a table now thought it exits VPX totally, not dropping you back to the editor.

#3 unclewilly

unclewilly

sofa king.....

• VIP
  • 5,081 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: tz, tom, big hurt, who dunnit

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:51 AM

Will thT work with the frontend table

"it will all be ok in the end, if it's not ok, it's not the end"

Monster Bash VP10 WIP https://dl.dropboxus... (vpx)WIP15.vpx

uw2.gif

#4 AlMightyBob

AlMightyBob

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:49 PM

Not sure, I've never used it. If anyone finds out let us know!

I also haven't yet gotten familiar with the many VPX addons for pup-packs and DMDs that are out there so do chime in folks if there's issues.

#5 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family, All Williams 90's Games

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:06 PM

I keep a shortcut to opencomposite on my desktop just in case I run into issues with random steamVR games.  I really haven't needed to use it though for a while.  Thanks for your info.

#6 rothbauerw

rothbauerw

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Dr Who, Tee'd Off, Jive Time

Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:15 AM

This is nice!  I'm only getting sound through my speakers, not my headset.  Is that the only way this will work or do I have something misconfigured?

#7 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family, All Williams 90's Games

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:11 AM

roth, did you just run OpenComposite or did you do the init edit  enableAudio=false

#8 AlMightyBob

AlMightyBob

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:35 AM

That sounds like normal behaviour, you just need to manually switch your audio output device to your headset in Windows once you've launched the game. If OpenComposite's Audio Routing feature wasn't broken then it wouldn't be necessary but it's a small price to pay.

#9 rothbauerw

rothbauerw

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Dr Who, Tee'd Off, Jive Time

Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:23 PM

roth, did you just run OpenComposite or did you do the init edit  enableAudio=false

That sounds like normal behaviour, you just need to manually switch your audio output device to your headset in Windows once you've launched the game. If OpenComposite's Audio Routing feature wasn't broken then it wouldn't be necessary but it's a small price to pay.

Yes, I have the init file with enableAudio=False

Makes sense AllMightyBob, thanks!

#10 monza

monza

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

• Flag: New Zealand

• Favorite Pinball: CFTBL

Posted 06 March 2021 - 09:11 PM

I am getting "OpenComposite DLLMain ERROR: Cannot init VR: unsupported apptype 3" with my Oculus CV1, any ideas?

#11 smakx

smakx

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Fish Tales

Posted 01 June 2021 - 04:16 AM

I am getting "OpenComposite DLLMain ERROR: Cannot init VR: unsupported apptype 3" with my Oculus CV1, any ideas?

If you are still having this issue, I was able to fix it by setting VR to "enabled" in vp's vr settings, instead of the default of "auto".

"Pinball is the absolute pinnacle of human achievement, the perfect union of art and science, the purpose of mankind's creation and the answer to its greatest mystery, the very meaning of life its self."

#12 benjn

benjn

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: ghostbusters

Posted 19 January 2022 - 05:04 PM

hey guys,

sorry to bohter you on this, but I can't get a hand on opencomposite 32 bits dll  - the link from the gitlab doesn't work... 

any chance to find it somewhere else ? tried google it but no chance...

thanks

BenJN

#13 studlygoorite

studlygoorite

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 359 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Any VR table

• 360 Gamer Tag: King JJ

Posted 19 January 2022 - 11:26 PM

hey guys,

sorry to bohter you on this, but I can't get a hand on opencomposite 32 bits dll  - the link from the gitlab doesn't work... 

thanks

BenJN

Sure thing, here ya go https://drive.google...35n?usp=sharing

Edited by studlygoorite, 19 January 2022 - 11:26 PM.

#14 benjn

benjn

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: ghostbusters

Posted 20 January 2022 - 10:46 AM

Thanks ! 

hey guys,

thanks

BenJN

Sure thing, here ya go https://drive.google...35n?usp=sharing

Thanks !! :)

#15 nikketrikke

nikketrikke

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

• Flag: Italy

• Favorite Pinball: The Adams Family

Posted 07 March 2022 - 07:48 PM

hi great advices!!!

i have problem with the keyboard.. sometimes works sometimes not...

do not work keys to lay.. while the f3 or esc work...

wghat have to tdo?

thanks

Edited by nikketrikke, 07 March 2022 - 09:21 PM.

#16 bietekwiet

bietekwiet

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Bride of Pinbot, Batman Data East, Black Knight 2000

Posted 14 May 2022 - 02:39 PM

Doesn't work with Virtual Desktop unfortunately. At least not with the settings posted here.

#17 thomas123

thomas123

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: IT Pinball Madness, Game of Trones LE, Totan

Posted 17 September 2023 - 08:19 PM

The Opencomposite Boost does not only work for Quest2 users. It also gives a significant boost to Pimax Crystal users as I could discover today. Of course, you use the Pimax dll instead of the Oculus dll. And Enthusiast's hint is important: Set VR to "enabled" in vp's vr settings, instead of the default of "auto" to avoid "unsupported apptype 3" errors. With that I can play the new VPWs Godzilla on a RTX3090 on 90 Hz without any frame drops in incredibly realistic resolution...

#18 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 18 September 2023 - 11:56 AM

Did you use https://gitlab.com/z...R/-/tree/openxr ? Thanks for the heads up!

#19 blindpeser

blindpeser

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

• Favorite Pinball: WCS94

Posted 19 September 2023 - 03:41 PM

The Opencomposite Boost does not only work for Quest2 users. It also gives a significant boost to Pimax Crystal users as I could discover today. Of course, you use the Pimax dll instead of the Oculus dll. And Enthusiast's hint is important: Set VR to "enabled" in vp's vr settings, instead of the default of "auto" to avoid "unsupported apptype 3" errors. With that I can play the new VPWs Godzilla on a RTX3090 on 90 Hz without any frame drops in incredibly realistic resolution...

Could you please share your whole pc-rig? Isnt the Crystal pretty heavy? How long can you play without any neck issues?

#20 griffindodd

griffindodd

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

• Favorite Pinball: A fair few

Posted 23 January 2024 - 12:13 AM

Thanks for this useful tip. I have a Quest 2 that I stream all kind of PC-based VR to over WiFi, haven't gotten around to diving into VPVR yet but it's something on my radar.

Software: VPX 10.8b7, VPinMAME 3.6, B2S 2.1.0, FlexDMD 1.9.0, Freezy 2.2.1, Pinup Popper 1.5
Cabinet: PF: Sony X85K 4k 120hz Portrait, BG/FullDMD: 1080p LCD, Topper: UHD LCD 
Computer: Alienware Aurora R15 - Ryzen 9 5900X, 96GB, RTX 4080 Super, NVME, Win 11