#1 MikePinball

MikePinball

Oak Micros Pinball Products

• Platinum Supporter
  • 416 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Space Invaders

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:56 AM

I am pleased to announce the Oak Micros Pinball Addressable LEDs (PAL) board that is used to control up to 8 addressable LEDs strips. It is based on the Teensy 3.2 and includes a modified version of the standard Pinball cabinet code for addressable LEDs.

pal_board.jpg

This is the fourth product in the Oak Micros family of electronic circuit boards for Virtual Pinball cabinets. The features of PAL include:

• Supports up to 8 strips of addressable RGB LEDs using the Teensy 3.2
  • Pre-programmed Teensy microcontroller  – just plug and play
  • Includes a pushbutton which can be used to initiate a LED test when powered up
  • Has a pluggable screw connector for power and 6 LED connections. The remaining two other LED connections are available on an optional 0.1" header
  • Powered from 5V.

The following items are part of the shipped package:

• PAL circuit board which includes an official Teensy 3.2 and addressable LED interface circuitry. Each PAL circuit board has a unique serial number.
  • 4 PCB standoffs with screws

The Oak Micros Pinball Addressable LEDs (PAL) board has a complete user guide and costs $50 not including shipping. This is about what you might pay for the individual parts but the PAL board is already soldered, programmed with the Teensy code, tested and ready to use in your cabinet. And if you order together with other Oak Micros products there is only one shipping charge.

When in stock, I ship all products the same or next business day. For full details see the link in my signature below.

Edited by MikePinball, 04 May 2021 - 01:56 PM.

MikePinball (dba Oak Micros).

#2 MikePinball

MikePinball

• Platinum Supporter
  • 416 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:03 PM

I forgot to mention that I have done an initial run of 10 boards. One has already been sold so there are 9 left. I have additional PCBs and can build more fairly quickly.

Feel free to append comments here about what you think and your interest level for this type of integrated solution (send me one now, next 3 months, next 6 months). If you would like a PAL, please email me at o a k m i c r o s at austin dot rr dot com rather than using messaging on this forum.

#3 JLPicard001

JLPicard001

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars, Theatre of Magic

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:40 PM

So I could run a matrix (one strip output), and could also run a pair of side addressable strips from this as well?

#4 MikePinball

MikePinball

• Platinum Supporter
  • 416 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:22 PM

So I could run a matrix (one strip output), and could also run a pair of side addressable strips from this as well?

Yes absolutely. It is 100% compatible with the Teensy solution for addressable LEDs because it contains a Teensy.

#5 Arestis

Arestis

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Dr Who

Posted 02 February 2020 - 07:17 AM

I am pleased to announce the Oak Micros Pinball Addressable LEDs (PAL) board that is used to control up to 8 addressable LEDs strips. It is based on the Teensy 3.2 and includes a modified version of the standard Pinball cabinet code for addressable LEDs.

pal_board.jpg

This is the fourth product in the Oak Micros family of electronic circuit boards for Virtual Pinball cabinets. The features of PAL include:

• Supports up to 8 strips of addressable RGB LEDs using the Teensy 3.2
  • Pre-programmed Teensy microcontroller  just plug and play
  • Includes a pushbutton which can be used to initiate a LED test when powered up
  • Has a pluggable screw connector for power and 6 LED connections. The remaining two other LED connections are available on an optional 0.1" header
  • Powered from 5V.
The following items are part of the shipped package:
  • PAL circuit board which includes an official Teensy 3.2 and addressable LED interface circuitry. Each PAL circuit board has a unique serial number.
  • 4 PCB standoffs with screws
The Oak Micros Pinball Addressable LEDs (PAL) board has a complete user guide and costs $35 not including shipping. This is about what you might pay for the individual parts but the PAL board is already soldered, programmed with the Teensy code, tested and ready to use in your cabinet. And if you order together with other Oak Micros products there is only one shipping charge.

When in stock, I ship all products the same or next business day. For full details see the link in my signature below.

#6 MikePinball

MikePinball

• Platinum Supporter
  • 416 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 07:10 AM

It turns out that there is a software bug in the original StripController source code that was posted on GitHub and LEDs can be shown "off by one". This results in the wrong patterns and shapes in the playfield matrix of LEDs. The good news is that there is a fix and it is easy to apply.

First download the updated user guide and read chapter 5 which describes the update procedure. Then download the update package and follow the instructions in the user guide.

This only applies to people with a PAL Board that has a serial number from 001-012. All PAL boards shipped after today will have the fix.

#7 MikePinball

MikePinball

• Platinum Supporter
  • 416 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 09:22 PM

The PAL board has been quite successful. I have sold 90 so far.

Unfortunately my costs to produce this board have gone up. The new price for the PAL board is $40. This is still good value compared to doing everything yourself.

#8 pitty

pitty

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: star wars

Posted 10 October 2020 - 11:23 AM

Hello i bought a Teensy 4.0,

Is it possible to get the TeensyStripController to work on a Teensy4.0&Octows2811 working with DOF?

I am having a hard time working it out, and think i probably should've bought a Teensy3.2. :(

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Nevermind the Github Pull request of the main Teensystripcontroller works fine on Teensy 4.0

Edited by pitty, 12 October 2020 - 11:17 AM.

#9 kenswift

kenswift

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Twight Zone

Posted 20 November 2020 - 02:14 PM

How do I order one of these boards? Do you have a website?

#10 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 20 November 2020 - 02:58 PM

How do I order one of these boards? Do you have a website?

See post 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Oak Micros