#1 MikePinball

MikePinball

Oak Micros Pinball Products

• Platinum Supporter
  • 404 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Space Invaders

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:41 PM

A month ago I described my prototype coin door volume control using a rotary encoder. I am now proud to announce a rotary encoder product with the following features:

• Positive feedback of clockwise or counter-clockwise movement via detents. There are twenty detents for a complete revolution. Under Windows 10 each detent changes the volume by 2% so it takes at most two and half revolutions to go from 0% to 100% volume.
  • Sends an active low pulse for a clockwise (up) or a counter-clockwise (down) rotation on one of two wires.
  • Monitor LED provides feedback by flashing for each pulse on the up/down wires.
  • Knurled, black aluminum knob for precise grip and classic finish. This knob is good quality and has some heft which contributes to the feel of the control.
  • Integrated pushbutton provides a third input that can be used for mute or any other kind of function.
  • Powered from standard 5V but is 3.3V input compatible (e.g. for KL25Z).
  • Keyed and locking 5-pin connector for power and 3 inputs which eliminates accidental disconnection if the cabinet is moved or the coin door is opened.
  • Integrated microcontroller translates rotary encoder clockwise and counter-clockwise movement into active low pulses to simulate a button press for a keyboard controller. Nothing extra needed except wiring to 5V power and an input controller such as Pinscape or LED-WIZ.

While the original motivation for the Rotary Encoder board was a volume control for a virtual pinball coin door, the three inputs can be used to control anything; only limited by the imagination of the customer. 

Here is the user guide for the Oak Micros Rotary Encoder. The picture below shows the first 10 products I made that are ready to be installed in your cab.

ready_to_ship.jpg

The cost of Oak Micros Rotary Encoder is $12 $15 not including first class shipping to the US and rest of the world. The package includes the encoder, circuit board, knob, cable, and 10 additional crimp pins as shown below:

package.png

If you are interested in one of these valuable additions to your cab, please email me at o a k m i c r o s at austin dot rr dot com rather than using messaging on this forum.

Edited by MikePinball, 08 January 2021 - 03:34 AM.

MikePinball (dba Oak Micros). I have sold a number of electronic boards for virtual pinball cabs such as Pinscape All-in-One, Pinscape Lite, Plunger Kit, Rotary Encoder, Fuse board, Resistor board, Pinball Addressable LEDs (PAL) board, and RGB Flipper/Magnasave board with clear buttons. I am currently taking a break but will continue to support existing customers. See my home page for more details.

#2 ludovids

ludovids

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

• Favorite Pinball: LOTR MM TAF Tommy TOTAN TZ

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:37 PM

Looks like another excellent product. Congrats on getting it out. Maybe I will find a need for it when I am enhancing my cab this winter...

ASRock Z270M Extreme4, i5-7600K, 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 3200, EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC

Samsung 850 EVO M.2, Samsung UN40JU7100 4K playfield, Samsung SynchMaster 2232 backglass, Pinscape on VirtuaPin Plunger Kit v3

#3 Phazer51

Phazer51

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 155 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:56 PM

Ordered.

#4 MikePinball

MikePinball

• Platinum Supporter
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:24 AM

Ordered.

Yep and will be on its way to you tomorrow. Please give feedback when you have hooked it into your cab.

Three sold in the first 24 hours. Looks like I might need to make some more over the weekend ;)

MikePinball (dba Oak Micros). I have sold a number of electronic boards for virtual pinball cabs such as Pinscape All-in-One, Pinscape Lite, Plunger Kit, Rotary Encoder, Fuse board, Resistor board, Pinball Addressable LEDs (PAL) board, and RGB Flipper/Magnasave board with clear buttons. I am currently taking a break but will continue to support existing customers. See my home page for more details.

#5 ckpin

ckpin

Hobbyist

• Platinum Supporter
  • 25 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Pinball Pool

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:28 PM

Ordered two.  Great work.  Hopefully will end comments about button combinations. Thanks.

Edited by ckpin, 13 September 2019 - 02:28 PM.

#6 Phazer51

Phazer51

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:14 PM

If I can press and turn the knob at the same time, then I could use the press/turn (shifted key option through Pinscape controller) to adjust settings in PinVol and then use the standard turn for global volume.

I plan to mount the knob on the bottom front of my cab next to my exit button (which was placed under the cab to prevent accidental bumping).

#7 MikePinball

MikePinball

• Platinum Supporter
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:35 PM

Yes that would certainly work by using the third button for Pinscape "shift" function. I had the same idea but it can require some manual dexterity to keep the knob pressed while you turn it (which is even harder with the knob essentially upside down on the bottom of the cabinet. If the button is released then you end up changing the wrong volume.

I have a separate button for shift which I can press with one hand and then press the required button with the other hand. 

#8 Phazer51

Phazer51

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:54 PM

Yes that would certainly work by using the third button for Pinscape "shift" function. I had the same idea but it can require some manual dexterity to keep the knob pressed while you turn it (which is even harder with the knob essentially upside down on the bottom of the cabinet. If the button is released then you end up changing the wrong volume.

I have a separate button for shift which I can press with one hand and then press the required button with the other hand. 

Agreed. It may be easier just to assign another of my front-mounted buttons as the "shift key" to use along with the volume knob to adjust PinVol and leave the un-shifted knob for global volume.  Then I could use the knob button for mute.

Edited by Phazer51, 13 September 2019 - 06:55 PM.

#9 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 4,756 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra

Contributor

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:12 PM

Ordering.  Thanks

#10 MikePinball

MikePinball

• Platinum Supporter
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:33 AM

Three sold in the first 24 hours. Looks like I might need to make some more over the weekend ;)

I have now sold 10 in the first 4 days. This has been more popular than I imagined and I am pleased that people have seen that this as a valuable add-on to a cabinet which solves a real problem.

I did in fact make another 10 over the weekend. As this next set of 10 starts to get sold out, I will need to order more parts as I only ordered for an initial batch of 20.

#11 STV

STV

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Varies. 140 in the list ATM.

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:08 AM

Got mine tonight.  Configured some volume up and down pins in the pinscape to match vpinballx.exe volume up/down settings.  Wired it up and works great.  Twist the knob one way or the other to move volume up or down.  This'll save the reach for the key to open the door for those times when volume adjustment is required.

20190916_205319@8_t.jpg

#12 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,264 posts

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:41 AM

Will this work with a Ipac2

#13 MikePinball

MikePinball

• Platinum Supporter
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:22 AM

Will this work with a Ipac2

It should work with any keyboard controller that uses an active low input to signal a button press. This means that you connect one side of the button to ground and the other side to the IPAC2. The rotary encoder only presents a maximum of 1mA at 3.3V so it should not harm the I/O pins of any microcontroller.

It says that the IPAC2 supports volume buttons meaning the virtual keystrokes for volume etc. Assuming you have one of these then it should work. As an experiment you could hook up a simple button to verify that your IPAC2 supports this feature (or perhaps you are already doing it with other buttons on your cab).

I have only tested it with Pinscape. Let me send you one and if it doesn't work with the IPAC2, I will pay for return shipping and refund you.

#14 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,264 posts

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:52 AM

Thanks for getting back me

sure sounds like it would work

#15 ckpin

ckpin

Hobbyist

• Platinum Supporter
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:53 AM

Received mine yesterday via standard USPS in one business day!  Installed one today within hours and all works well using Pinscape.  Looks good inside and out; thanks.

#16 Phazer51

Phazer51

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:56 PM

Received mine yesterday via standard USPS in one business day!  Installed one today within hours and all works well using Pinscape.  Looks good inside and out; thanks.

I was going to install through my I-PAC2. But, its an older model and I cannot seem to reprogram key assignments.  So...I'll install through my Pinscape controller (which is all I really needed, but I didn't know about Pinscape in 2013).

#17 ckpin

ckpin

Hobbyist

• Platinum Supporter
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:44 AM

Phazer51:  My rotary encoder has been setup for PinVol using the Extra Ball as a shift key function as you suggest and the button is configured as mute.

Started my cab in late 2014 also before Pinscape.  Since then replaced LEDwiz, Sainsmart & IPAC & used the TSR1410 Plunger and have been very saisfied.  The rotary encoder integrates well with that setup thanks to mjr and MikePinball.

Used the coin return shaft hole on a Gottlieb cash door ...

Attached File  20190919_EncoderFront.png   42.67KB   9 downloads

Attached File  20190919_EncoderInside.jpg   15.82KB   6 downloads

Edited by ckpin, 20 September 2019 - 01:54 AM.

#18 Phazer51

Phazer51

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:44 PM

I wanted to mount my rotary controller on the bottom left front of my cabinet (out of the way, near my bottom-mounted exit button). Given its appropriately short shaft, the knob would be difficult to install directly through a wood panel (cabinet side or floor).  So, I mounted my rotary controller through a small piece of left over acrylic (which I'd previously painted the back black):

Attached File  20190919_074517.jpg   91.35KB   6 downloads

Attached File  20190919_074539.jpg   112.08KB   4 downloads

I drilled a 30mm hole through the bottom of my cabinet (not too neatly from the inside, though, since the Forstner bit slipped) to accommodate the controller's electronic module.  I screwed the acrylic plate onto the bottom of the cabinet.  The knob feels great and increases the system volume smoothly (after assigning up and down to vol+ and vol- through the Pinscape controller).  The button press function is assigned to "mute."

Attached File  20190919_074651.jpg   103.99KB   6 downloads

Attached File  20190919_074603.jpg   65.58KB   4 downloads

Edited by Phazer51, 19 September 2019 - 12:49 PM.

#19 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,821 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family, All Williams 90's Games

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:58 PM

wow, these are top notch.  Arrived very quickly as well.  I want to order 2 more of them as they are so cool, and can be used in a few different projects of mine.  Thanks for this awesome project.

#20 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 4,756 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra

Contributor

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:06 PM

You could put a bigger knob on it and use it to navigate and select tables from the front end