#1 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,019 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:10 AM

DOFLinx can be used to take analogue nudge and turn it into digital nudge.  This means that an input device for analogue nudge, such as the PinScape with an accelerometer that presents as a joystick, can run in your cabinet, and when it hits limits that you set, push the digital nudge keyboard beys for emulators like FX3.

So how does this work?  Well firstly you setup DOFLinx to know about your analogue nudge device, that is the joystick port and some other key values.  Then when running, if your nudge goes over the preset value, a key stroke is sent to your emulating application.  You can also optionally still have your cabinet manual nudge keys (often magna-save buttons) enabled as well.  DOFLinx does this by cascading the nudge keys.  Really it is as easy as that!

I have never been able to get DOFLinx to send L-Crtl and R-Ctrl to FX3 which are the default keys.  As such, I use the “L” and “R” letter keys for left and right nudge while leaving “Space” as the default forward nudge.  A small pain, but quite workable.

Prerequisites:

1. DOFLinx installed and running
  2. A working analogue nudge device presenting to your PC as a joystick
  3. An emulator that only takes nudge via keystrokes

Setting up:

1. Run DOFLinx with DEBUG=1
  2. Right click and select the “Test Joy Stick” option
  3. Work through the “Joystick #” until you find the one that changes values when you nudge.  There is most likely only one active joystick in your cabinet.
  4. With the cabinet still, press the “Get Offset” button to get the first values
  5. Now nudge your cabinet and see what values in the “X Nudge Point” allow the “NUDGE” word to come up when you think you’ve pushed the cabinet hard enough.  Be brutal, cabinets love to be shoved!
  6. Take note of all of the settings, or leave it on the screen as you do the next step.
  7. Edit your DOFLinx.INI file, JOY_PORT= the “Joystick #”, JOY_X_OFFSET = “X Offset”, JOY_Y_OFFSET = “Y Offset”, NUDGE_LEFT_POINT = “L Nudge Point”, NUDGE_RIGHT_POINT = “R Nudge Point”, NUDGE_FORWARD_POINT = “F Nudge Point”
  8. Next tell DOFLinx which keys you are using in your emulator from the standard keycodes – found here https://docs.microso...rtual-key-codes
  9. If you have set FX3 to “L”, “R” letter and “Space” keys then set NUDGE_LEFT_KEY=4C, NUDGE_RIGHT_KEY=52, NUDGE_FORWARD_KEY=20
  10. Now if you optionally want existing cabinet nudge keys to still work when you have analogue nudge setup, then configure the key codes currently set for those.  If your magna-save keys were used for left and right nudge and were set to the traditional L-Ctrl and R-Ctrl then you would set NUDGE_LEFT_INPUT=A2, NUDGE_RIGHT_INPUT=A3.  If you didn’t want to cascade manual nudge keys then simply leave these two parameters out of your DOFLinx.INI file
  11. Now set DEBUG=0, restart DOFLinx and give it a try.

joysticktestscreen_t.jpg

In your DOFLinx.INI file you will need to setup the following parameters for nudge:

JOY_PORT=

JOY_X_OFFSET=

JOY_Y_OFFSET=

NUDGE_LEFT_POINT=-

NUDGE_RIGHT_POINT=

NUDGE_FORWARD_POINT=

NUDGE_LEFT_KEY=

NUDGE_RIGHT_KEY=

NUDGE_FORWARD_KEY=

NUDGE_LEFT_INPUT=

NUDGE_RIGHT_INPUT=

Here is my configuration where my PinScape presents as joystick #2, FX3 uses “L” and “R” letter and “Space” keys for nudge, and my cabinet has “L-Ctrl” and “R-Ctrl” as manual nudge keys that I cascade (ie still work with manual nudge)

JOY_PORT=2

JOY_X_OFFSET=32767

JOY_Y_OFFSET=32767

NUDGE_LEFT_POINT=-5500

NUDGE_RIGHT_POINT=5500

NUDGE_FORWARD_POINT=4000

NUDGE_LEFT_KEY=4C

NUDGE_RIGHT_KEY=52

NUDGE_FORWARD_KEY=20

NUDGE_LEFT_INPUT=A2

NUDGE_RIGHT_INPUT=A3

Edited by DDH69, 31 May 2019 - 04:38 AM.

DOFLinx
Contributions for equipment to help with ongoing DOFLinx development can be made here

#2 Vizzini

Vizzini

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: ???

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:08 AM

Brilliant! You move too fast with new things for me to keep up.

I have it working fine with Zebs V2 board.

JOY_PORT=1

JOY_X_OFFSET=32767

JOY_Y_OFFSET=32767

NUDGE_LEFT_POINT=-25000

NUDGE_RIGHT_POINT=25000

NUDGE_FORWARD_POINT=25000

NUDGE_LEFT_KEY=4C

NUDGE_RIGHT_KEY=52

NUDGE_FORWARD_KEY=20

I left off the manual keys.

At first, I mistook your usage of L and R as left and right arrow. Then I figured out you meant the actual R and L keys.

How quickly does your nudge fire off? I seem to drain a lot before the nudge kicks in. Definitely cool though.

How did I miss your right click on the debug window feature? Too cool.

#3 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 04:52 AM

You make a good point, I edited the post a little to make it clearer that the example is L / R letter keys.

This style of nudge will always be a little slower than simply pressing a key, ie ,magna-save keys, because it is a cascade.  So it is the same time as pressing a manual nudge key + programmatic time (minimal) + accelerometer measurement + your reaction time to hip and shoulder your cabinet (the longest part).

I think if you're going for championship game play then this is not for you.  However, if, like me, its all about the fun, then I find this a nice addition.

DOFLinx
Contributions for equipment to help with ongoing DOFLinx development can be made here

#4 Vizzini

Vizzini

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

• Favorite Pinball: ???

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:05 PM

Nice addition indeed! Thanks for all your development and testing time.

#5 Badazzwi

Badazzwi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:32 PM

I would like to do this in my cabinet as well but I have my buttons set up on a different encoder that also registers as a joystick. My pinscape is set for nudge and plunger only. Is it still possible to add nudge to FX3 with this configuration?

#6 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:33 PM

Yes it is.  You setup the Pinscape (joystick) with the limits of when to nudge and plunger for FX3, then simply setup the other encoder (joystick) buttons for manual nudge.

DOFLinx

#7 killa7977

killa7977

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• Flag: Italy

• Favorite Pinball: medieval madness

Posted 05 August 2019 - 04:25 PM

Hi guys, how to run doflinx in debug = 1?
Thanks

#8 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 01:40 AM

Edit your DOFLinx.INI file

If you already have a DEBUG= (something) line change that to DEBUG=1

If you do not already have a DEBUG= line then add DEBUG=1 your DOFLinx.INI file, anywhere will do

DOFLinx

#9 captaincroutons

captaincroutons

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Arabian Nights

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:42 AM

This is what I’ve been looking for! I’ve used xpadder for ages for my arcade buttons and on my new vpin build I tried x360ce and just couldn’t figure it out. I downloaded doflinx and tried following your tutorial but I’m having issues. Even if I set debug=1 I don’t ever get a window to open. When trying to run doflinx, nothing comes up on screen, and I don’t see it as a running process in task manager. It is set as a startup program. I’ve tried fiddling with the config.ini anyway and tried every joystick port, different values for offsets, etc. and still can’t get my pinscape board to nudge my fx3 tables. :( I gave up on VPX and FP a while ago, couldn’t figure those out either, I just want FX3 to work with my pinscape board! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

A Drunk(and frustrated) Pinhead

#10 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:56 AM

:bar1:Alcohol always helps

Try running DOFLinx from your shortcut with the appropriate command line arguments manually.  You should definitely see it as a running process.  If this works, then you've got an issue with your auto startup, probably permissions.

DOFLinx

#11 captaincroutons

captaincroutons

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:51 AM

Awesome thanks! As soon as I get back from taking my kids to school I’ll try this out! I should mention I had more difficulty likely because I was trying to over complicate things with my setup...I have a usb encoder for my arcade buttons, a pinscape board, and an analog plunger. Xpadder manages the arcade buttons, I tried using x360ce for the pinscape, and I was going to use an actual 360 controller for the plunger because I couldn’t find the recommended pinscape potentiometer. Stupid right?

#12 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:22 AM

...... Stupid right?

No, not at all.

I'm familiar with it all, just never had the need for x360ce.

DOFLinx

#13 captaincroutons

captaincroutons

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:31 PM

So, stupid question, I was just watching MajorFrenchy’s video and he mentioned you have to first get DOF before installing DOFLinx...is that accurate? I did not even realize there were two separate programs. :facepalm

#14 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:32 PM

Please see the guide

#15 captaincroutons

captaincroutons

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:37 PM

I did use one of DDH69’s guides—there are several different ones, and I believe the steps outlined here were the same steps outlined in another post specifically about using it with FX3, and it didn’t mention a second program, unless I misread. Not trying to be a jerk here, obviously I’m coming for help and really do appreciate the feedback. Is there a specific guide you’d recommend? Thanks!

#16 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:32 PM

Grander Unified-er DOF R3++ -----   https://www.vpforums...topic=39557&hl=

The guide that comes with DOFLinx On the 2nd page

Requirements
 A pinball cabinet – but then who doesn’t have one of these
 DOF R3++ installed and running
 At least one LEDWiz, Pinscape, PacLed64, Ultimate I/O, PinControl1, PinControl2, PacDrive
or SainSmart controller board
 If you want, a Teensy (or similar) setup for addressable LEDs in DOF
 Keyboard input (or emulator) to your favourite pinball emulator
 Possibly some Xbox or DINPUT controllers
 Some patience
Installation
1) Find the folder on your system containing DOF, ie C:\DirectOutput. It will be the folder with
DirectOutput.dll, ledwiz.dll, ftd2xx.dll, pacdrive.dll in it.
2) Unpack the DOFLinx Vx.x.zip into this folder.
3) Edit the supplied DOFLinx.INI or create your own for your setup.

Edited by Outhere, 10 September 2019 - 09:08 PM.

#17 captaincroutons

captaincroutons

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:15 PM

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it! As soon as the kids go to bed Im working on that setup! :fingersandeyescrossed:

#18 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:07 PM

Give it a try and if you have any other questions Please post them

#19 captaincroutons

captaincroutons

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:44 AM

Ok, got the unified-er version of dof from that link, got it installed with the windows installer, and was finally able to get the debug of doflinx to run and get my pinscape joystick port number etc. Nudge is finally working in FX3! Woo, thanks everyone! I need to play around with the numbers now, because it seems like hitting the right side of the cab produces a nudge fairly easily, but I have to hit the left side REALLY hard to get a nudge. Im no pro, but Im a big guy and I can at least accurately slap save on real pins, but right now Im having to hit my cab super hard. What exactly do these numbers describe? Lowering the nudge point number should make the cab more sensitive to nudge, right? I.e. easier to nudge? What is that offset number? 32767 seems really high to me, whatever it is. Just gotta get this dialed in now! Thanks again everyone for all the help! Got a buddy coming over tomorrow to hang and have some drinks and hes interested in getting a vpin eventually, trying to really get him hooked!

#20 captaincroutons

captaincroutons

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:04 AM

Ok, Ive got everything dialed in pretty good right now, but now I do have a startup issuedoflinx just doesnt seem to be launching at windows startup. I put a shortcut in the startup folder with the pathini parameter from the other guide but right now I have to exit pbx and manually run doflinx before it will work. Im so close!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DOFLinx, nudge