NailBuster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: YES

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:50 PM

*** please don't use this thread any longer ****  it is many years old and most info is outdated 

PinUP is used by many 1000's of fans and is at a very stable state.

Start a new thread if you want here, or you will most likely find all solutions and common setup questions resolved here:

https://www.nailbust...ck_troubleshoot

if you have a particular problem with just ONE PuP Pack its always best to ask those in the support thread of where you downloaded that particular puppack.

Please use the updated info/threads for the new version of PinUp Player v1.2 at vpinball.com

This thread is for older versions... thanks.

Good to see many people setting up PinUp Player and for most it seems to be working ok.

Wanted to have this thread be the 'one-place' for people with issues getting setup/playback to work with their setups

I'll update this first post with common issues/solutions.

If you are having issues.  Please start off by going through this checklist of items.  And answer any questions in your post/giving as much info as you can (windows version/# of monitors......etc).

It has been shown so far to work fine in windows 7 and windows 10.

Make sure you follow the setup guide video on youtube:  (there is a quick readme.txt in zip file as well).

Youtube setup video:  

Ok,  so once you've confirmed that B2S shows no errors and the plug-in is active we need to try a few things.  Make sure you are using at least B2S server 1.3.0.1

There's a "PinUpPlayerTest.exe" that you can run.  Press the 'test vlc' button and it should play splash video in black box.  Then press the PuPlayer test button and should not get any error messages.

If the Test works then we're 90% there...  that means we could access the com-object and play videos....

if videos don't play then try and configure your PUP screens to use a different video driver (try directx).  to access your pup display config run "PinUpDisplay.exe" manually and press 'configure'.

I'll assume you are trying to get the 'amazing' work from TerryRed Tron-Table working...  

lets make sure files are all in the correct spot.  You should have the video files in a folder like this "C:\Visual Pinball\Tables\PinUPPlayer\PUPVideos\Tron_legacy"      Inside there should be numerous sub-folders with media files in each.

oh,  when troubleshooting.  do not run tables through pinballx (or menus) for now.  One-thing at a time, so just run with vp 10.4 directly.

===================================================

Issue:  Table loads up but I get no videos playing.  (no error messages)

Right-click on both the Pinupdisplay.exe and pinupplayer.exe and check "run this program in compatibility mode" windows 2000.  

Working solution for Windows7

things to check/answer:  (exit all apps and check)

If you run "PinUpDisplay.exe" and press 'configure displays'.  What are your default states for all screens(BG,DMD,Topper).  You have option to show always, hide always, or POP-up.  This will affect how the screens are displayed.

are you running vpx in full-screen exclusive or windowed mode?    Test switching between the two (like run vpx in just a 640x480 window and see if your PuP screens change)

make sure your DPI settings for the screens aren't affecting the player.  Try changing those to see if it changes anything.

======================================================

Error in B2S startup on all tables

This is probably your b2s version installed (or maybe you have multiple versions)..

You can test and remove the PUPB2S b2s driver folder for now( the tron table uses direct access to PUP so will still work).  Just move the "PinUPPlayerB2SDriver" folder to another location (outside of the plugins folder of b2s)

=================================================

I only have 2 screens and want to hide topper videos.  I set topper to hide always but it still shows:

I've compiled a build for that one item...where you want to hide the topper but the script is using it.  You can grab the update  www.nailbuster.com/nailcode/PinUpDisplay_096.zip

==================================================

Other things to try:

Run some tron videos outside of VPX/PUP,  just use file explorer and make sure you can play the mp4s using the default vlc player.

Security wise:

You shouldn't enable any administrator mode on exes (in fact  someone mentioned it didn't work when they set the exes to admin mode).  But you should check the standard windows 10 stuffs to 'unblock' dlls if its enabled (right click on dlls, check for block checkbox)

if any 'brave' souls with issues that want to try and see if this fixes their issues....  Here's a build 'just-out-of-the-oven'.   www.nailbuster.com/nailcode/PinUPPlayer_build_098b.zip

Note:  To update... I would delete all PUP folders (make a backup of your PinUpPlayer.ini file so you don't have to setup your screens again)....remember to remove the PinUPb2splugin folder as well....and then start from scratch with this build.

Things to NOTE:  PinUpPlayer DOES NOT install anything, does NOT change any of your vpx/pinballx/b2s settings/INIs/registry....it doesn't even touch your registry for anything. 

I made sure that if you want to remove PuP just remove the PuP files/folders and just don't use PuP Tables....simple

If you are getting errors starting OTHER tables after installing PuP....then the only way PuP can affect other tables is with the B2S plugin.  You can remove the PupB2s plugin folder and restart....and your b2s/cab will not be affected.

I'm trying a 'different' method in this build so that windows7 (or other security issues) should be minimized....but who knows....

Note:

PinUP player does NOT support rotation of videos.  but you can use very simple one-click tools that will go though an entire folder and re-output video files rotated for your cab.

Edited by NailBuster, 04 February 2021 - 05:37 PM.

#2 nnanard8

nnanard8

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:14 PM

Hi !

So I start with troubleshooting :

Here's my config :

- Windows 7 64 bit

- B2S server 1.3.0.1

- i have 3 monitors but for the differents tests i have configured the videos to be on the playfield monitor just like the video above

When I launch the table :

- 2 windows pinupplayer are launching

- the table runs fine

- when i look in the plugins of the b2s the pinup player in b2s server is active

"There's a "PinUpPlayerTest.exe" that you can run.  Press the 'test vlc' button and it should play splash video in black box.  Then press the PuPlayer test button and should not get any error messages." ---> all of this is ok

The videos are in the right directory, the rom-named directory has been created by the program and remains empty

I tried in full screen and windowed screen --> no videos launching during the play

Run pinupplayer programs administrator ans no administrator --> no videos launching during the play

No blocked dll'S

The videos runs fine juste with vlc player

I have tried with default / directx / opengl --> no videos launching during the play

I have the lastest beta version of pinupplayer

I have tried the sample table ---> no videos

I have tried in the options : video to pop up or videos to stay --> no videos launching during the play

Thank you for your help !!!

#3 NailBuster

NailBuster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:36 PM

that's some good troubleshooting :)

the strange thing is if the pinupplayertest.exe works, then that means your system can call-the com object and play vlc videos fine.

why creating the com-object in tablescript and trying to play doesn't work is very 'stange'......

if you can try.  in the youtube video I show a very simple example of making a pupb2s sample.  If you could try and just create an 'example' table and see if pupb2s works (since pupb2s doesn't rely on vpx to play the videos)....

if you can wait I'll upload a small sample pupb2s file later tonight....

worth a shot to find out if/where we go from there....

#4 psmiraglia

psmiraglia

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

• Flag: Argentina

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:40 PM

Great work! I got Tron working with little problem

2 questions;
- puplayer configurator has the option to rotate the window 270 degrees, which is what I guess should do to play field videos. It does not seem to work and per your description is not intended to work. What is that option for?
- is there a table that leverages b2s pup plugin? Id like to make sure that side of my setup works... I only have Terrys table working

Thanks

#5 nnanard8

nnanard8

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:53 PM

Thank you for your answer Nailbuster, i'll try later with your pupb2s file...

#6 khomodo

khomodo

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

• Favorite Pinball: dead hunter

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

Hello, im in the exact same situation of nnanard8..

all files are in the right place, i have the plugin setup and active in b2sserver (but with the tron table from terry i guess this is not mandatory). All my screens are setup on forcepop

With all the test exe, i got my splash videos right where i want.. but as soon as i launch the table, i see nothing (and i play to start event like multi to be sure that a video should pop)

i just get the latest b2sserver on vpforums that i could find, but still the same...

The only pb i see with my config is that my 3 screens are not setup in a common way .. my playfield is windows screen 2, my backglass is windows screen 1 and my dmd windows screen 3 ... could it be that the root of the pb ?

I dont have a splash screen pinup player before the lauch of the table either.. just a black screen. (but i see a pinupplayer and pinup display task in my taskbar along the normal vp ones)

edit: trying to make a test pubbs config to see if it works better than the direct script way...

Edited by khomodo, 30 November 2017 - 05:44 PM.

#7 rablack97

rablack97

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Tron Legacy

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:24 PM

Here are few user check points when doing the install:

• Make sure your using the current version of B2S server and not an outdated older version i think 1.3.0.1 is the current.

• For me the videos scaled properly by switching to windowed mode, uncheck force exclusive fullscreen to activate this mode.

(This is not a requirement as others have confirmed PUP works fine in fullscreen mode)

824ba9dae780cb1496fe0c319397762b2ba29be4

Make sure your .dll files are unblocked, I think Dave forgot to mention this in his video.

09544d34d39d65ca6d60a180f6cc7c8ae44035f0

• Set all the .exe's run and bats to run as admin by default by right clicking the file, properties, compatability, then check run as admin and then apply

(This is not a requirement, however this is I did for my setup to work)

3fa4d22981d237415a5a1e0e9ec6466bf0abddab

• Your video structure inside of PUPVideos should look like this with the videos from Terry's package inside of Tron_Legacy, do not put anything in the trn_174h file.

• I also recommend just clicking on a couple of the videos to make sure that they play outside of VPX first.  This will validate codec's etc are good.

a648873376d7be7ce505f09054ea4969e441d38a

• When setting up you screens, make sure your defaults are set to show popup, Dave recommeded earlier that if the videos didn't play, try dchanging the video driver to direct x.

8fa453ac7a86e7a2db7333bf023df83fd6c26d57

• You also have to make sure the PINUP plugin is active, by running the table and either right clicking on the back glass, clicking on the backglass and pressing "S", the activate plugins must be checked.
  • When you click plugin setting the driver has to be in the list and show as active.

d1e4dc20b732451602247f27bf3d69f9a3963803

• This is the line item i changed in the dmddevice.ini to get the dmd off my tables.

7408f3515a5b3f047076c48dfa9bc6ac2e4a4536

If you follow the youtube tutorial, and use these checkpoints you should be fine, as always get this working as expected outside of any frontend first, then migrate into your frontend.  I migrated seamlessly into PBX no issues.

Keep in mind, when you start the table, videos do not just start playing out of the box.  You have to play the game, you will see the ZUSE and TRON videos first, and if you want a quick demo, just let ball drain and the ball saved video is immediate.

As you keep paying the game the backglass videos will start coming up.

Edited by rablack97, 30 November 2017 - 06:39 PM.

#8 NailBuster

NailBuster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:30 PM

thanks raBlack97.

just to note....you're not forced to use window mode.  PinUP Player does work in window or exclusive...but try both if you're having problems.

#9 rablack97

rablack97

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:38 PM

thanks raBlack97.

just to note....you're not forced to use window mode.  PinUP Player does work in window or exclusive...but try both if you're having problems.

• For me the videos scaled properly by switching to windowed mode, uncheck force exclusive fullscreen to activate this mode.

(This is not a requirement other have confirmed PUP works fine in fullscreen mode)

#10 khomodo

khomodo

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:40 PM

still nothing for me, and all described by rablac97 i have already tried :/ (unless the dmddevice.ini but i dont have pb with my dmd on the table)

I notice that the launching of the table is very long when pup is actived in the script... have to wait with black screen almost 30s , without its fairly immediate)

tried to make a pupb2s config but still no video on my screens .. its a shame its a great addon for vpx (excellent work)

#11 rablack97

rablack97

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:48 PM

Hello, im in the exact same situation of nnanard8..

all files are in the right place, i have the plugin setup and active in b2sserver (but with the tron table from terry i guess this is not mandatory). All my screens are setup on forcepop

With all the test exe, i got my splash videos right where i want.. but as soon as i launch the table, i see nothing (and i play to start event like multi to be sure that a video should pop)

i just get the latest b2sserver on vpforums that i could find, but still the same...

The only pb i see with my config is that my 3 screens are not setup in a common way .. my playfield is windows screen 2, my backglass is windows screen 1 and my dmd windows screen 3 ... could it be that the root of the pb ?

I dont have a splash screen pinup player before the lauch of the table either.. just a black screen. (but i see a pinupplayer and pinup display task in my taskbar along the normal vp ones)

edit: trying to make a test pubbs config to see if it works better than the direct script way...

Are you dragging the screens where you want them.  This is confusing on the videos.

Your screen layout doesn't matter.

Select for example topper, drag it to the screen where your want it to show and then resize accordingly.  Do the same for the backglass, drag it to your backglass and resize.  If you want the topper videos to show on your backglass you can drag the topper display to your back glass if you want.

still nothing for me, and all described by rablac97 i have already tried :/ (unless the dmddevice.ini but i dont have pb with my dmd on the table)

I notice that the launching of the table is very long when pup is actived in the script... have to wait with black screen almost 30s , without its fairly immediate)

tried to make a pupb2s config but still no video on my screens .. its a shame its a great addon for vpx (excellent work)

post some screenshots of where your table/pup files are. sounds like the prog can't find your videos.

#12 NailBuster

NailBuster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:55 PM

only thing I can think of is a security issue that doesn't let vpx 'connect' to the com-object.   Don't know if you've tried this, but can you run PinupPlayer.exe manually (leave it running).  and then start the table....

oh, and try removing the pupb2s plugin folder for now to test the tron table....we'll focus on one interface at a time....

Edited by NailBuster, 30 November 2017 - 06:57 PM.

#13 rablack97

rablack97

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:17 PM

what version of vpx are you running?

#14 nnanard8

nnanard8

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:23 PM

Still nothing, VPX 10.4.0 for me

#15 khomodo

khomodo

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:25 PM

yes i had dragged the top, dmd and bacglass screens on my backglass one (and resize them)

my video files are under my tables vp10 folder c:\visual pinball\tables vp10\Pupvideos\TRon_Legacy, the exe in c:\visual pinball\tables vp10

when i launch the b2sconfig one, it finds the directories with all the videos...

I will try to run Pinupplayer.exe before launching the table yes, i ''ll be back soon ^^ (ok will del the plugins folder too)

#16 khomodo

khomodo

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:37 PM

no more luck with the last test. im running vpx 10.4 revision 3224  windows 7 64 bits

i noticed that when i click on exit on the pupdisplay panel (where i configure all the screens) , the process stay active in the process lists, and if i try to launch it whith the exe, the panel doesnt pop. i have to kill it with task manager and then relaunch it with the exe to have the panel . (same when i quit the table, the process doesnt quit properly)

#17 pintris72

pintris72

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

• Flag: Belgium

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:56 PM

Pinup Player is running fine and looking GREAT with the TRON PUP table. I am only using the backglass video, so no topper or dmd.

When I manually launch the tabel in VPX it is ok. Sadly when I start the table from PINBALLX, the B2S does not load. I get an error message from b2sserver that it cannot load the file .b2sserver... so somewhere in the parameters it lost the table name and is looking for ".b2sserver" which ofcourse it cannot find...

Is it because of pinup player running as an extra tool that the parameters or messed up?

Also I noticed that after closing the table in VPX and exiting VPX, the PinUpDisplay tool keeps running, so it is not auto-closing.

#18 rablack97

rablack97

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:47 PM

yes i had dragged the top, dmd and bacglass screens on my backglass one (and resize them)

my video files are under my tables vp10 folder c:\visual pinball\tables vp10\Pupvideos\TRon_Legacy, the exe in c:\visual pinball\tables vp10

when i launch the b2sconfig one, it finds the directories with all the videos...

I will try to run Pinupplayer.exe before launching the table yes, i ''ll be back soon ^^ (ok will del the plugins folder too)

ok so try this......your video folder structure should look like this.

C:\Visual Pinball\Tables\PInUpPlayer\PUPVideos\Tron_Legacy

Your PinUp exe's should be here

C:\Visual Pinball\Tables\PInUpPlayer

I'm not seeing your PinUpPlayer folder in your directories

Pinup Player is running fine and looking GREAT with the TRON PUP table. I am only using the backglass video, so no topper or dmd.

When I manually launch the tabel in VPX it is ok. Sadly when I start the table from PINBALLX, the B2S does not load. I get an error message from b2sserver that it cannot load the file .b2sserver... so somewhere in the parameters it lost the table name and is looking for ".b2sserver" which ofcourse it cannot find...

Is it because of pinup player running as an extra tool that the parameters or messed up?

Also I noticed that after closing the table in VPX and exiting VPX, the PinUpDisplay tool keeps running, so it is not auto-closing.

What's your game manager settings for the game set to in PBX?

Yep, i mentioned the same thing too, its a pain when doing the initial config, but once you have it set up, I haven't seen a issue with it not closing when the table closes.

If so you can add a script upon closing the table to kill both processes in PBX.  They will open up again at next table launch.

Also, dont click on the exe again just click on the icons in your task bar to bring the config back up.  Other wise you open up multiple instances and have to kill them all in the task manager, before it will work again.

Edited by rablack97, 30 November 2017 - 08:49 PM.

#19 khomodo

khomodo

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:08 PM

C:\Visual Pinball\Tables\PInUpPlayer\PUPVideos\Tron_Legacy

Your PinUp exe's should be here

C:\Visual Pinball\Tables\PInUpPlayer

I'm not seeing your PinUpPlayer folder in your directories

already tested... first install i put my files and dir under my vp folders like described in the text with the tron release. -> KO

then i watched the tuto video by terry red and moved my files and dir under a pinupplayer dir but same issue -> KO

i then revert back my files and Pupvideo dir under the table dir.

cant understand why i have never a single pop up screen when i launch a table with pinballx... it seems so simple i cant see where im doing something wrong :/ ( i'd managed to make working proc tables and ultra dmd tables like a charm but this not ^^)

#20 marie

marie

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 86 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: The Getaway

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:31 PM

I also do not get any vids on my W7 64 system. Followed all the detailed instructions by NailBuster Rablack97.

BTW VP 10.4  crashes when playing in exclusive full screen.

To be curious: anyone with W7 64 got it running?